PDA

View Full Version : Some people just don't get it....

Daniel
26th June 2007, 23:48
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21975698-2,00.html

The mind boggles. Only a few weeks after an accident that killed 11 people, drivers keep on going over level crossings without taking due care. These people deserve to die, but the innocent people on the train and in the back of the car don't. Why do people so blatantly not give a **** about anyone else? :mark:

Drew
26th June 2007, 23:52
In all honesty I probably would have crossed, but only if I were in a rush and had clearly checked.

However, we seem to hear this a bit down in the south west as people don't look and just assume they can cross :\

Some people don't take responsibility for their actions, often it's their own fault..

Daniel
26th June 2007, 23:55
Yes but after a big disaster like 11 people dying you'd think people would be just the bit more careful. The car could stall unexpectedly or something. You never know do you. I pray people like this just drop dead in the street rather than taking innocent people with them or even risking other people's lives.... An accident is one thing but being deliberately careless is just not on at all.

BDunnell
27th June 2007, 00:00
I think it's because some people, maybe more than we care to think, believe that they somehow deserve to get away with anything in a car — some sort of invincibility, maybe. The trouble is, it can often have adverse effects on others, whether holding someone up or, in the more extreme cases, killing someone.

Donney
27th June 2007, 10:34
I think it is common sense to double check when reaching a level crossing, but I may be wrong.

Brown, Jon Brow
27th June 2007, 12:36
Maybe because my dad worked for the railways I have more respect than some people on how dangerous they can be. Some people just don't realise that it can take a train around half a mile or more to stop from 70+mph.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ql_o6zFENnQ

Dave B
27th June 2007, 18:31
Darwinism at work. Stupid people who are now unable to produce stupid offspring. Every now and then the gene pool needs a little chlorine.

It's just a shame that often stupid people take the innocent with them. :(

CharlieJ
27th June 2007, 18:41
Darwinism at work. Stupid people who are now unable to produce stupid offspring. Every now and then the gene pool needs a little chlorine.

It's just a shame that often stupid people take the innocent with them. :(
I second that!

Unfortunately, they often just kill the innocent people and get away with it themselves.

Hazell B
27th June 2007, 20:27
Just the one question, and it's sure to drag out old bitterness, but I'll ask anyway .....

How come I say a cyclist has PERHAPS caused his own death and most of you on here call me everything from a bitch upwards, and yet it's okay for you to pray somebody falls dead in the street or whatever?

Seriously, you need to remember how often you lot change your minds depending on who's posting sometimes ;)

Tshbez
27th June 2007, 21:17
It's a 4x4 so the driver's invincible - the train would just bounce off it of course!

slinkster
27th June 2007, 21:34
People don't seem to live by rules OR common sense anymore, everyone is out for themselves and at some point that selfishness is bound to cause "accidents" like this. Sadly, like many things, innocent people get caught up in others mistakes all the time.

Daniel
27th June 2007, 22:19
Just the one question, and it's sure to drag out old bitterness, but I'll ask anyway .....

How come I say a cyclist has PERHAPS caused his own death and most of you on here call me everything from a bitch upwards, and yet it's okay for you to pray somebody falls dead in the street or whatever?

Seriously, you need to remember how often you lot change your minds depending on who's posting sometimes ;)
It just is you know :mark:

But seriously I am only joking. I'd prefer for these people to just get brains and drive safely rather than causing big accidents which kill lots of people.

Hazell B
27th June 2007, 22:25
Of course everyone would rather these things don't ever happen - but just remember how downright nasty you and Knock-on were about me and think, eh? I'm not treating you the same way, am I?

Daniel
27th June 2007, 22:27
Of course everyone would rather these things don't ever happen - but just remember how downright nasty you and Knock-on were about me and think, eh? I'm not treating you the same way, am I?
I'll be honest and say that I remember the thread but I don't remember what was said in detail so I can't say whether what we said was justified or not. Not being slimy or anything..... I honestly don't remember the nitty gritty of the thread.

Hazell B
27th June 2007, 22:50
I remember.

fandango
27th June 2007, 23:28
I think for some people there's a difference between talking about why someone should die and why someone might have died. They get a bit jumpy when there was a real live death involved.
Look at this thread.
It's clear that these level crossings shouldn't exist as they are, considering most roads are made with cars in mind, not bikes, horses, bicycles or trains. Or pedestrians. Cars think they own the roads - and they're right.

Mark
28th June 2007, 08:01
I think you should take care before saying someone deserved to die. Yes, crossing a level crossing when the signs are at danger is foolish. But does the person really deserve to be killed for that? If you were a judge would you sentance them to death for the crime?

Dave B
28th June 2007, 10:09
For "foolish" I'd substitute "idiotic, suicidal, irresponsible, putting other peoples' lives in real danger"

I've no real problem with people risking their own lives, but if they willfully endanger the lives of hundreds of people on a train just to save two minutes' journey time then they're beneath contempt.

Flat.tyres
28th June 2007, 11:50
cant really see the problem here?

crossing when its dangerous is stupid but looking at the picture, the car had plenty of time. if it had been a junction with a car that far in the distance, who would wait 45 seconds for the car to arrive?

just seem to me that people blindly follow a newspaper story on here without looking at what its all about.

Daniel
28th June 2007, 12:02
cant really see the problem here?

crossing when its dangerous is stupid but looking at the picture, the car had plenty of time. if it had been a junction with a car that far in the distance, who would wait 45 seconds for the car to arrive?

just seem to me that people blindly follow a newspaper story on here without looking at what its all about.
Yes but if a car pulls out in front of you, you can brake easy a train can't........

Flat.tyres
28th June 2007, 12:10
Yes but if a car pulls out in front of you, you can brake easy a train can't........

well, Im not the sort of person that pulls out in front of traffic and makes them brake. Are you?

I said, if its safe, then go. this car looks like it's very safe unless freight trains have decided to move at 30000 MPH instead of their customary 40.

i know im in the minorit of people here because i actually look at the article instead of getting all indignant at the headline but use a bit of gray matter.

Daniel
28th June 2007, 12:34
I'm not saying I do. Just that if someone goes in front of another car at least the car has brakes that will stop it quicky. A train's brake take a long time to stop it.

Brown, Jon Brow
28th June 2007, 21:38
well, Im not the sort of person that pulls out in front of traffic and makes them brake. Are you?

What if something unforeseen happens so you can't get fully across?

You can't take the same risks with trains that you can take with traffic.