PDA

View Full Version : PS3 possibly delayed yet again............

Daniel
18th December 2006, 16:09
Linkage

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36431

PS3
Bad bad news came for European Sony fans from site CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=151602&skip=yes) this week.

Sony's head of Worldwide Studios Phil Harrison recently told Official PlayStation Magazine that he wouldn't like to make any definitive statements about the March roll-out for PS3.
CVG also claimed that a source has spoken of a PS3 delay as far back as September 2007, pointing at further component shortages.
Fortunately SCEE boss David Reeves specifically told GamesIndustry.biz: "We're still on schedule to launch PS3 in March throughout the PAL territories. All speculation otherwise is without foundation." - Don't expect the rumours to stop anytime soon though.
As the PS3 is further dissected by the gaming world, users are reporting some serious jaggies on PS1/PS2 game emulation.
Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/12/13/ps2-graphics-on-ps3-look-like-crap/) have comparison pictures of original PS2 games versus the emulated PS3 titles. It doesn't look good, gamers are hoping for a firmware fix.
Tek Jansen at Gamescentral has an interesting overview (http://www.gamescentral.com/blogs/tek_jansens_explosive_gaming_experience/archive/2006/12/04/playstation-3-tek-jansen-s-guide-to-installing-linux-on-your-ps3.aspx) of how to install Linux on your new $600 games console. Oh, and make sure you register your 'PS3 Network Name' now, before it's grabbed by someone else. Check out the Sony webby here (https://account.np.ac.playstation.net/accounts/register/viewCountryLangDobSelect.action).

Sleeper
18th December 2006, 16:58
Its not good to see the consol delayed again, but lets face it, anyone with a bit of sense isn going to buy a console in the first 6 months to a year of is life because of the inevitable bugs and other problems they have. In the end, it doesnt bother me.

Dave B
18th December 2006, 17:29
To be honest, they've missed out on this year's Christmas rush so another few months won't hurt.

If they're sensible they'll get all the bugs ironed out and launch properly well in time to get shipments out for Christmas 2007.

Daniel
18th December 2006, 18:24
To be honest, they've missed out on this year's Christmas rush so another few months won't hurt.

If they're sensible they'll get all the bugs ironed out and launch properly well in time to get shipments out for Christmas 2007.
Tbh with the loss that Sony is making on each PS3 they're better off shutting up shop in regards to consoles. No wait hear me out. Sony has a history of screwing up when it comes to formats. Minidisc, Beta, SACD and ATRAC to name but a few have all failed fairly spectacularly so history isn't on the side of Blu-Ray and the PS3.....

Then there's the fact that they were a year behind on launch in the US and Japan and they're even further behind in the rest of the world. More and more people who were going to hang on for a PS3 are buying a 360 now and although I'm sure some people will still get a PS3, I'm equally certain that a lot of people won't be investing in a second console especially at the current prices. The PS2 has the XBox comprehensively beaten in release date and market share and the XBox always suffered for it. Now it's Sony's turn to play underdog and I don't see them doing it like Microsoft did with the XBox. But that's just my opinion which I share with a lot of market analysts :p

My advice for hopeful PS3 owners is not to bother waiting. Go out and buy a 360 today and enjoy playing games today rather than waiting another 9 months in which you're playing outdated games on your PS2. Even if the PS3 is mindblowingly good it still can't make up for 9-10 months of you not actually owning one...... you can always wait for the next best thing to come out but you just end up missing out on having something quite good right now. Plus if you're always waiting for the next best thing you'd never settle on buying anything at all. If you're a bit of a snob and don't want your parents to call you mean things you could just buy a Wii which is nearly as good as both the 360 and PS3.

Lots of love, passionately disliking of Sony, your ex Sony service centre employee

Daniel

Dave B
18th December 2006, 18:58
Possibly, but maybe not going head-to-head with the Wii could be a smart move for Sony.

Very few consumers will buy more than one console, and Nintendo have already stolen a march on them this year. But by Christmas 2007 the Wii will be old hat, no matter how good it is. Kids will be pestering their parents for the next big thing, and if that next big thing happens to be a Sony then so be it.

The majority of would-be PS3 owners won't know or care that Minidisc was a commercial failure (I've got two MD recorders :eek: ) or that Beta died on its backside outside of professional TV.

Sony have made a balls-up of spectacular scale with the PS3, but if they're prepared to write this year off and wait for Christmas 2007, they could be quids in. :)

odykas
18th December 2006, 19:34
muwhaha

nicemms
18th December 2006, 20:30
I think we will be lucky if we get the ps3 before Christmas 07.

My friend's dad lives in America and is getting one fro him to bring over.

viper_man
19th December 2006, 04:11
To be fair, Sony have f***ed it.

People have been and will continue to buy the 360 and the Wii in their droves and every day Sony is losing potential customers.

Aside from dedicated fans, the casual gamer who will have been looking forward to the PS3 will probably not be bothered to wait for it anymore.

If it makes it for next crimbo, its going to have to be sensationally good to make up for the huge amount of time its been delayed.

555-04Q2
19th December 2006, 06:55
Tbh with the loss that Sony is making on each PS3 they're better off shutting up shop in regards to consoles.

That wont happen Dan. Sony sold over 200 million PS2's and in the end will sell around the same amount of PS3's. Who knows how many billions of PS2 title games were sold. That is a big income for Sony and they wont flush it down the toilet just because of a delay.

I was not excited to see your thread as it brought further bad news for me as a PS fan, but while I love the XBOX 360's graphics and processing speed, I cannot stand the XBOX 360 controller and until they change the controller, I will wait another year if required for the PS3. My PS2 is perfectly fine in the meantime :)