PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Drivers Leaving WRC

AndyRAC
18th December 2006, 14:45
Just noticed all these threads regarding drivers leaving the WRC, what a sad state of affairs. Okay, so they're not all world beaters bit surely there's a place in the WRC for them all. Once again, because of the expensive cost of the cars, drivers can't afford them. How long can this carry on for? :mad:

jonkka
18th December 2006, 14:48
Or rather, they expect to be paid instead of paying for it themselves.

spyros
18th December 2006, 14:48
Just noticed all these threads regarding drivers leaving the WRC, what a sad state of affairs. Okay, so they're not all world beaters bit surely there's a place in the WRC for them all. Once again, because of the expensive cost of the cars, drivers can't afford them. How long can this carry on for? :mad:

can i leave too as a fan?lol

Jarek Z
18th December 2006, 14:51
Good question, I left some three years ago when I realized where it is going...

Tomi
18th December 2006, 14:56
I dont see it as a problem that some drivers cant make it to the top, it has always been the same, now theese who quits make no difference anyway, the best will still be there like they always have been.
The new trend is that organiser of events start paying expenses so that they get the event, that is a more dangerous way, we end soon up with crap events, just because they are cheap for the WRC organisation.

Jarek Z
18th December 2006, 14:58
If you don't see the problem Tomi, there is only one answer. You must be blind...

Tomi
18th December 2006, 15:01
If you don't see the problem Tomi, there is only one answer. You must be blind...

Ok tell me what has changed in 10 years?

Tomski
18th December 2006, 15:11

Its got more expensive, commerical & hence exclusive?

Tomi
18th December 2006, 15:13
Jarmo Kytölehto, Thomas Rådström, Pasi Hagström, Bruno Thiry, Alister McRae, Mark Higgins, Piero Liatti, Rui Madeira, Freddy Loix, Tapio Laukkanen

Here is a few who was driving about 10 year back, they also could not find backing, so whats new??

Buzz Lightyear
18th December 2006, 15:15
Or rather, they expect to be paid instead of paying for it themselves.

If I drove done a forest at 130 mph, I would expect to get paid. Why does everyone think everyone BUT the drivers should be paid?

Buzz Lightyear
18th December 2006, 15:16
Jarmo Kytölehto, Thomas Rådström, Pasi Hagström, Bruno Thiry, Alister McRae, Mark Higgins, Piero Liatti, Rui Madeira, Freddy Loix, Tapio Laukkanen

Here is a few who was driving about 10 year back, they also could not find backing, so whats new??

90% of these driver got paid at some stage in their career, wheather it be British, National or World Championship

AndyRAC
18th December 2006, 15:17
I am as well, probably to the IRC!

Tomi
18th December 2006, 15:22
If I drove done a forest at 130 mph, I would expect to get paid. Why does everyone think everyone BUT the drivers should be paid?

Thats not the question, professional sport, especially motorsport, has always included sponsors, thats a cold fact. Sad but thats how it is.
It is not also a new thing that driver brings money to the team, ask Carlos how he got his drives.

spyros
18th December 2006, 15:24

take a look at the results from today and the past,never was the diff between 1st-3rd 3min,cmon my friend?

Tomi
18th December 2006, 15:24
90% of these driver got paid at some stage in their career, wheather it be British, National or World Championship
Dont think so, maybe their sponsor did pay.

Tomi
18th December 2006, 15:27
take a look at the results from today and the past,never was the diff between 1st-3rd 3min,cmon my friend?

LOL, what has that to do with guys getting no seats??

Simmi
18th December 2006, 15:28
Thiry, Liatti, Loix, Radstrom all got top works drives and good opportunities how can they be used as examples? If they were good enough they would have got further it wasnt all about money for these guys. Loix had tons of backing for example.

Jarek Z
18th December 2006, 15:29

OK, find me a WRC rally in 2006 that has entry list that can at least be comparable to that of SanRemo 1998:
http://www.juwra.com/sanremo_1998_entries.html

And please take a close look at this entry list, it's full of talented driver's names up to #80! Not to mention it has 172 competitors! And those competitors are mostly devoted rally drivers, not tourists or businessmen.

So Tomi, are you still saying that current WRC is thriving?

Tomi
18th December 2006, 15:33
Thiry, Liatti, Loix, Radstrom all got top works drives and good opportunities how can they be used as examples? If they were good enough they would have got further it wasnt all about money for these guys. Loix had tons of backing for example.

Because everyone of those you mention also stopped their carreer because they could not find a seat, thats why they are good examples.

Tomi
18th December 2006, 15:35
OK, find me a WRC rally in 2006 that has entry list that can at least be comparable to that of SanRemo 1998:

And please take a close look at this entry list, it's full of talented driver's names up to #80! Not to mention it has 172 competitors! And those competitors are mostly devoted rally drivers, not tourists or businessmen.

So Tomi, are you still saying that current WRC is thriving?

No, i say it could be better, but what i try to say is that this situation that drivers dont find backing is not unik in anyway it has always been the same.

JAMESWRC
18th December 2006, 15:38
That is a quality entry list it has to be said. Didn't know that Carlos Del Bario navigated for Jesus Puras before Pons. Galli seeded in the fifties!!

Priorat
18th December 2006, 15:58
[quote="Jarek Z"]OK, find me a WRC rally in 2006 that has entry list that can at least be comparable to that of SanRemo 1998:

And please take a close look at this entry list, it's full of talented driver's names up to #80! Not to mention it has 172 competitors! And those competitors are mostly devoted rally drivers, not tourists

Now take a look at the entry list of Monte-Carlo the same 1998.

Problem is we got too well used to some entry lists of the firsts 2thousands, but what is happening now is not new at all, not to mention those years after Group B

JAMESWRC
18th December 2006, 16:01
http://www.juwra.com/rac_rally_1973_entries.html

Off topic but that is a good entry list!!

Glee
18th December 2006, 16:26
Why is it possible for Henning Solberg and Manfred Stohl to find funding for a full program, but not drivers like Meek or Gali?

One reason is that Norway and Austria is a relatively small country (4,6 and 8,2 mill)!

In Norway is Henning Solberg a well known figure, and is quite frequent in the media, witch bring a lot of exposure to his sponsors, as Expert who also uses him in TV ads, shop stands and so on.

But in a country like United Kingdom or Italy (60 and 59 mill) it is much harder to reach the same level of fame. And even if there are larger sponsors, it is impossible to create a celebrity in the same way as in a smaller country.

SubaruNorway
18th December 2006, 16:45
Sure i don't think there is one person who doesen't now who Petter Solberg is, ore Henning in Norway

Tomi
18th December 2006, 16:59
http://www.juwra.com/rac_rally_1973_entries.html

Off topic but that is a good entry list!!

This list is much better already, the other had only a few rallydrivers, but many boulevard rally drivers.

Tomi
18th December 2006, 17:08
But in a country like United Kingdom or Italy (60 and 59 mill) it is much harder to reach the same level of fame. And even if there are larger sponsors, it is impossible to create a celebrity in the same way as in a smaller country.

I dont belive in this for a second, it is about how you do it, normal marketing, you got to get the sponsor to feel they are a part and deep involved in the project, not only ask for money. But this should start early in carreer, nobody gives suddenly anyone anything.
The money is there waiting for someone who understand to get it.

DonJippo
18th December 2006, 18:47

Never? I think it's you who should have a look to the results...

FrankenSchwinn
18th December 2006, 18:58
i agree with tomi here. and the only difference in the amount of drivers is that there were more seats available back 8-10 yrs ago, even 3-4yrs ago. it's not "finding the fianancial backing" that is the problem it's finding a bucket that is/should be worth driving. basically what i am saying is that if there were 3 seats per team and all these private teams that we have now, drivers would want to re-think their departures because there would be a reason to stay. it's not the money, it's the opportunity. think about which will be the next available seats in a factory team..... subaru has atko for 07 and seems to be ok with raising him, citroen is growing the next carlos (so they/we think), marcus seems to be enjoying himself and will probably rally a few more years..... what's left?

Tomi
18th December 2006, 19:01
i agree with tomi here. and the only difference in the amount of drivers is that there were more seats available back 8-10 yrs ago, even 3-4yrs ago. it's not "finding the fianancial backing" that is the problem it's finding a bucket that is/should be worth driving. basically what i am saying is that if there were 3 seats per team and all these private teams that we have now, drivers would want to re-think their departures because there would be a reason to stay. it's not the money, it's the opportunity. think about which will be the next available seats in a factory team..... subaru has atko for 07 and seems to be ok with raising him, citroen is growing the next carlos (so they/we think), marcus seems to be enjoying himself and will probably rally a few more years..... what's left?

Suzuki, Mitsu, and other teams is on the way too.

Glee
18th December 2006, 19:52
I dont belive in this for a second, it is about how you do it, normal marketing, you got to get the sponsor to feel they are a part and deep involved in the project, not only ask for money. But this should start early in carreer, nobody gives suddenly anyone anything.
The money is there waiting for someone who understand to get it.

Yes, you have to have a good management, but why is it impossible for G. Gali to fund 16 rounds in a big country like Italy, when it is possible to do that in a country as small as Norway?

With a population ten times grater it should in theory be easier to find a sponsor witch could bring up big money, even if there are more money per Capita in Norway then in Italy?

One of the reasons to that is that Henning Solberg is much more known by “common people” in Norway than G. Galli is in Italy. They are bout pleasant and entertaining people, but it must be harder to become a big star in a big country than in a small country.