PDA

View Full Version : Donington,... Need Revamping???

AndyRAC
25th June 2007, 13:44
Having watched the race, albeit on T.V, couldn't help noticing the lack of a main Grandstand, I know they've updated the pits, but compared to the rest of the circuits, it does seem to be lacking. I know the cost is likely to be enormous, but it can't be a coincidence that both Silverstone and Donington are in need of revamps compared to the rest of the world. Yet we can spend money on Olympics, Wembley etc....Any ideas.....

leopard
26th June 2007, 09:55
Not sure about revamping, The green grass of Donington is an eyeful track.

jonny hurlock
26th June 2007, 13:17
no, i don't think so, att at sunday was over 95,000. these new tracks with massive grand stands are great,i dont think donington needs it. but if its not broken dont fix it.

maxu05
26th June 2007, 18:37
I think, rather than a grand stand, spend the money on finding a solution to the diabolically slippery surface in the wet.

MrJan
27th June 2007, 19:42
The nature of the Donnington Park circuit is that it's a natural ampitheatre. The hill by the Craner Curves creates quite good viweing and seats far more (at a far better price) than a grandstand in the same place. The are only two things the track could do with; a bridge near the old hairpin (It's a right pain having to walk all the way to coppice) and more space at the Foggy Esses (get's really crowded really quickly)

In the end grandstands just jack the price up even more and having pain £80 for the weekend I didn't really want to shell out more for the privelege of sitting in one place all weekend (so as not to feel ripped off) rather than get to tour the circuit as I did and get a good view at every corner.

Silver
27th June 2007, 20:56
Not sure about the whole "slippery" thing. I've ridden it three times since the resurface (once in the rain) and though it was fine - although granted I'm not going as quick as these guys!

The are only two things the track could do with; a bridge near the old hairpin (It's a right pain having to walk all the way to coppice)

I agree - it's a long walk indeed - except that it might obstruct the view.

NoahsGirl
28th June 2007, 20:50
Having visited Donington for the first time last weekend, I have to say that there are one or two improvements required, but overall, it's a good circuit. Not being able to go from Craners, back to the Melbourne hairpin without going on an expedition was a pain in the teeth! The grandstands were okay - a bit exposed, but as it was free seating on the Friday and got good photos of the bikes at the apex of Goddards, I wasn't complaining.

Please don't get me started on the camping side of the weekend...

AndyRAC
28th June 2007, 22:39
Having visited Donington for the first time last weekend, I have to say that there are one or two improvements required, but overall, it's a good circuit. Not being able to go from Craners, back to the Melbourne hairpin without going on an expedition was a pain in the teeth! The grandstands were okay - a bit exposed, but as it was free seating on the Friday and got good photos of the bikes at the apex of Goddards, I wasn't complaining.

Please don't get me started on the camping side of the weekend...

No, please do, I was meant to be going with my brother until he decided he couldn't afford to go. Was meant to be camping for the whole weekend. Have heard reports that campsite is bad even in normal weather, and that the toilets are,..... don't even go there!!!

leopard
29th June 2007, 04:54
That's naturally slippery when wet

MrJan
30th June 2007, 17:21
I was also there for the weekend but in a camper van which they put in a field near Redgate that was alright as it's usually a car park.. Apparently caravans etc were supposed to be up by the fairground but they had to move them as they were worried people would sink. There was very little in the way of facilities but considering the short amount of time they had to move I think that it can be excused.