PDA

View Full Version : WTCC on terrestrial TV

thompp
25th June 2007, 00:37
WTCC is on terrestrial TV this week, in the wee hours - Monday and Tuesday night (ITV1 I think?) - check you program listings and set your recorders, ladies and gents.

ATF
25th June 2007, 01:48
WTCC is on terrestrial TV this week, in the wee hours - Monday and Tuesday night (ITV1 I think?) - check you program listings and set your recorders, ladies and gents.

Indeed it is, although it's on Channel 4...

Rd 1 (Brazil) - Tues 26th June - 4.45-5.15am
Rd 2 (Holland) - Wed 27th June - 3.50-4.20am
Rd 3 (Spain) - Tues 3rd July - 5.15-5.40am
Rd 4 (France) - Wed 4th July - 4.20-4.45am

nicemms
25th June 2007, 10:27
Thats mine set. It'll be the 1st time I've watched it so I'm hoping its good!

BDunnell
25th June 2007, 13:43
I have to say that the promotion of the WTCC in the UK really is hopeless. Of course this early morning coverage is better than nothing, but it's rather a shame that this is the best deal those responsible can manage for an FIA World Championship. Viewing figures on Eurosport must be minimal, and their unprofessional presentation doesn't do much for me — a recent trailer during which Andy Priaulx's name was mispronounced horribly (as something like 'Pree-ox' or 'Pree-owkx', I forget exactly what) didn't improve my view...

inimitablestoo
25th June 2007, 14:36
This may be a conspiracy theory, but I'm sure I read about Alan Gow persuading ITV to buy the terrestrial rights to the WTCC last year - and then not show it (bar the British round) so as not to interfere with the BTCC. Don't know how true that is...

It's the second time round for the WTCC on Channel 4; they had similar highlights in 2005, and also had to start late, although they were only two meetings behind when they sorted out the '05 deal - just in time for the Silverstone rounds. On that occasion they took a straight highlights package from Eurosport, which I imagine is what they've done this time too.

Mark
25th June 2007, 14:57
Well it's good that it's being shown. Although with the available digital channels there's really not much excuse for anything not being shown.

All ITV2, ITV3, ITV4 show is tired repeats anyway.

SEATFreak
26th June 2007, 09:32
Thats mine set. It'll be the 1st time I've watched it so I'm hoping its good!

It is! The WTCC is GREAT stuff! And I hope you enjoyed Curitiba last night. I set the VCR so I will see it this morning.

I saw the Silverstone rounds last year when it was on ITV1 and I am always seeing WTCC stuff on YouTube. Like when Thommo scythed through the field in Race 2 at Valencia on his way to his second win having won Race 1.

It's the second time round for the WTCC on Channel 4; they had similar highlights in 2005, and also had to start late, although they were only two meetings behind when they sorted out the '05 deal - just in time for the Silverstone rounds.

What was the series like that time?

inimitablestoo
26th June 2007, 13:52
What was the series like that time?Pretty good. There were a few more works entries then (well, the Alfas) but Seat were just getting up to competitiveness and Chevrolet were nowhere near. It was good to watch, though, at a time when the BTCC was struggling for entries (early in '05 anyway). I shall be watching last night's coverage a bit later this afternoon, so it'll be interesting to see what's changed.

SEATFreak
26th June 2007, 15:12
Well, that was a total waste of time! I knew I should not have got my hopes up! For some reason their is something I don't do that means the VCR does not record when I set the timer on it.

Still, Zandvoort is on tonight and I think I may have cracked it. I think it is all to do with what I input in to the timer screen. If you set it timer for something that is on BBC1 but you don't have the right date then it won't record.

To ensure I deffo do get it taped I shall use the timer function on my VCR in my TV-VCR combi in my study aswell.

inimitablestoo
26th June 2007, 18:01
Hmm... I must admit to just putting the times in last night and not noticing it was only a half-hour programme, rather than the full hour we got back in 2005. Never mind, what was there was good, although the lack of a co-commentator is something I always find problematic. It's just nice to hear somebody else's voice every now and then.

One other oddity was Martin Haven giving a translation of the drivers' foreign language interviews. Fair enough, it's essentially a worldwide feed so they take what they're given, and at least it's better than when the World Motocross presenter does the same thing (translating idiomatic mistakes as well so that it comes across as something like "My bike very good is, it allow me to fight very much for title championship purple monkey dishwasher").

Oh yes, and that theme tune. Worst motorsport theme tune since Formula Woman (note to somebody: don't use anything with words)

Otherwise, some good coverage, although the races weren't brilliant beyond the first corner. Still, from what I've read in the Autosport race reports, the later races should be worth watching.

nicemms
26th June 2007, 18:04
I felt the coverage of race 1 was a bit rubblish but racing was good! Especially Priaux in race 2.

tintin
26th June 2007, 20:34
This may be a conspiracy theory...

More than that it's wrong.
Channel 4 showed the WTCC highlights in 2006.

BDunnell
27th June 2007, 00:15
Hmm... I must admit to just putting the times in last night and not noticing it was only a half-hour programme, rather than the full hour we got back in 2005. Never mind, what was there was good, although the lack of a co-commentator is something I always find problematic. It's just nice to hear somebody else's voice every now and then.

One other oddity was Martin Haven giving a translation of the drivers' foreign language interviews. Fair enough, it's essentially a worldwide feed so they take what they're given, and at least it's better than when the World Motocross presenter does the same thing (translating idiomatic mistakes as well so that it comes across as something like "My bike very good is, it allow me to fight very much for title championship purple monkey dishwasher").

:laugh: Love it!

Let's face it, Eurosport's presentation is utterly amateurish compared to the BBC or ITV.

ATF
27th June 2007, 13:01
:laugh: Love it!

Let's face it, Eurosport's presentation is utterly amateurish compared to the BBC or ITV.

Do they still do that stupid thing where a fake LG TV pops up somewhere at the side of the circuit and has a different shot in the screen?!

Iain
27th June 2007, 15:48
Don't think I've seen that for a while. They do have a stupid theme tune though, as mentioned previously. Martin Haven used to irritate me a bit, but I quite like him now having listened to him over the week at Le Mans. Especially the random chit chat that was going on around 2am when I was half asleep. :D

inimitablestoo
27th June 2007, 20:28
More than that it's wrong.
Channel 4 showed the WTCC highlights in 2006.

Really? When? I know it was on in 2005, I don't remember seeing it at all last year. And I scan the Radio Times closer than is healthy looking for motorsport programmes :s

tintin
27th June 2007, 20:39
IIRC it was on Tuesday (middle of the) nights.

SEATFreak
12th July 2007, 11:12
Does anyone know when Brno was covered, because I am positive the series seemed to go from Pau to Porto.

And also does anyone know when the remaining rounds (Anderstorp, Oschersleben, Brands Hatch, Monza and Macau) are due to be screened?

VXRDartford
12th July 2007, 11:40
I don't know when the rest of the rounds are being shown but on the official wtcc website http://www.fiawtcc.com you can watch the wtcc magazine which is shown on eurosport the day or so after the race it has all the highlights of both races and a bit behind the scenes the are also the press conferences, small highlights clips and various other videos.

Its all for free but you need broadband as you have to watch it there and then not download it

Good quailty and no adverts!!

SEATFreak
12th July 2007, 13:16
Its all for free but you need broadband as you have to watch it there and then not download it

Good quailty and no adverts!!

I can do better. I not only have broadband, I have had it for ages, I switched about 2 weeks ago from a router to wireless. No real change in quality and speed but your guaranteed never to loose connection.

The reason why my BT Voyager 210 router was always losing connection is because of the area I live in. It is very bad for the signal.

inimitablestoo
12th July 2007, 17:38
Does anyone know when Brno was covered, because I am positive the series seemed to go from Pau to Porto. Unfortunately you've missed it - it was on last Friday (early hours of Saturday morning). As for the remainder of the races, now that we've caught up, I imagine they'll show them within a couple of days of them actually taking place, as per the 2005 format once they'd squeezed the first couple of meetings into a similarly small space of time.

DaveTaylor
13th July 2007, 10:45
Yes good to see it on 'normal' telly but is it worth recording a 20 min program in the middle of the night. Especially as you only get to see about 5mins of the cars on track.
The other 15mins are 5mins of up skirt shots of the grid girls 5mins of adverts and 5mins of talk.
I have recorded and watched them all so far but there just isn't enough racing to get right into.

SEATFreak
14th July 2007, 15:17
Yes good to see it on 'normal' telly but is it worth recording a 20 min program in the middle of the night. Especially as you only get to see about 5mins of the cars on track.

If your someone whose into the WTCC but has only ever seen one meeting (and even then at the venue of your home country) the previous season.

The other 15mins are 5mins of up skirt shots of the grid girls

It ain't all bad then! :laugh: ;)

I have recorded and watched them all so far but there just isn't enough racing to get right into.

I do admit that I feel short changed. But then again I have to remember I ought to be thakful for any action I see.

VXRDartford suggested I go to the fia WTCC website and see the magazine programme there.

How do I do that? I go to "official broadcaster", go to "related videos", go to "video quality" (I need 56kbps because my detected speed is 57kbps and 100kbps+ would be to much) yet the video still seems a bit jerky. What can I do about it?

DaveTaylor
15th July 2007, 10:05
If your someone whose into the WTCC but has only ever seen one meeting (and even then at the venue of your home country) the previous season.

and by this you mean?
I like all motorsport 4 wheels or 2

SEATFreak
15th July 2007, 13:23
and by this you mean?

By this I mean I am not exactly lavished in the coverage department. Other than the 2006 season DVD I the highlights package on Channel Four is the only coverage I get. I ought to be damn lucky.

I like all motorsport 4 wheels or 2

Lucky you Dave. :laugh: :uhoh:

DaveTaylor
15th July 2007, 15:39
I do admit that I feel short changed. But then again I have to remember I ought to be thakful for any action I see.
yea i suppose that why you'd rather watch up grid girls skirts than watch racing.
The program is billed as the WTCC MAGAZINE. And thats what it should be about more wheels less legs.

SEATFreak
15th July 2007, 15:50
yea i suppose that why you'd rather watch up grid girls skirts than watch racing.

You do realise from the smilies in Post #23 I was actually joking. :rolleyes:

You take words far to seriously. Learn to take a joke in future.

You think as pretty as they are to me my viewing time is almost totally dominated by them? You really think I would choose watching a girl standing about over racing? Trust me their is far more exciting things to see than a gridgirl.

May I ask something if it isn't to out of the question. Do you have a problem with me?