PDA

View Full Version : Stefan Johansson - Nearly did it

Jimmy Magnusson
23rd June 2007, 21:17
Just watched a 4-minute highligt of the 1985 Imola GP with Stefan Johansson commentating. I remember seeing that race quite some time ago; oh how I felt sorry for him. I personally think that he would have deserved atleast one win :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjZttxbEhT0&mode=related&search=

ShiftingGears
24th June 2007, 01:15
Nice pass around De Angelis on the outside at Tosa! I think he deserved at least one win as well, but he had a few seasons in race winning machinery that he failed to capitalise on. There was a race at Hockenheim where he drove the last lap on three wheels to finish 3rd, which I found pretty awesome :p :

ChocMonster
26th July 2007, 16:22
The Hockenheim race you mention was the 1987 German GP, he was driving for McLaren and actually finished 2nd. ;)

He's still driving very well and at one point during the recent Mid Ohio ALMS race set the fastest race lap overall in the Highcroft Acura. :)

jens
27th July 2007, 17:55
I think one of his best races was in 1989 in Hungary, where Stefan finished 3rd in an Onyx! ;) Also in 1985 in Canada he was fighting for the win, but had to yield to team-mate Alboreto in the end.

Stefan was occasionally pretty quick, but I think he was too inconsistent to become a serious top contender.

Xaxor
17th August 2007, 01:21
In 1996(?) Toronto CART race, Johansson carelessly moved over at the hairpin to block Krosnoff which led to a horiffic fatal crash. I recall the formal investigation of the incident to conclude that the incident was caused by "another car" moving into Krosnoff's path, never mentioning Johanssen by name. I guess racing is racing.

Johansson is not the only one who pulled bonehead manouvers on the track which caused tragedy. Mass vs. Villeneuve, Moore vs. Fittipaldi come to mind. Schumacher, in all his glory, was lucky not to have killed anyone. What bothers me the most is that I've never heard these folks actually stand up and say that they were out of line and made a mistake...

Don't care much for Johanssen.

FIA
24th August 2007, 23:57
In 1996(?) Toronto CART race, Johansson carelessly moved over at the hairpin to block Krosnoff which led to a horiffic fatal crash. I recall the formal investigation of the incident to conclude that the incident was caused by "another car" moving into Krosnoff's path, never mentioning Johanssen by name. I guess racing is racing.

Johansson is not the only one who pulled bonehead manouvers on the track which caused tragedy. Mass vs. Villeneuve, Moore vs. Fittipaldi come to mind. Schumacher, in all his glory, was lucky not to have killed anyone. What bothers me the most is that I've never heard these folks actually stand up and say that they were out of line and made a mistake...

Mass and Johnasson didn't cause those accidents.

25th August 2007, 09:37
I think one of his best races was in 1989 in Hungary, where Stefan finished 3rd in an Onyx! ;)

Right year, wrong race.

It was at Estoril.

Shifter
26th August 2007, 22:21

The formal investigation should have mentioned "no fencing, exposed poles". Accidents are bound to happen.

ShiftingGears
27th August 2007, 08:54
The formal investigation should have mentioned "no fencing, exposed poles". Accidents are bound to happen.

It wouldn't have happened if Johansson hadn't cut in front of him. That wasn't taking a defensive line, that was being a f***ing idiot. Jackie Stewart once said about modern F1 "The tracks are now safe, but the drivers are dangerous". I think its true.

ChocMonster
27th August 2007, 21:07
It wouldn't have happened if Johansson hadn't cut in front of him. That wasn't taking a defensive line, that was being a f***ing idiot.

He didn't take a defensive line. Stefan pulled out to overtake another car, he sadly didn't know that Krosnoff was trying to do the same to him at the time.

Bezza
28th August 2007, 20:28

Oh man that is absolute bollocks. Mass vs Villeneuve? Are you kidding? Accident.

futuretiger9
6th October 2007, 13:05
Just watched a 4-minute highligt of the 1985 Imola GP with Stefan Johansson commentating. I remember seeing that race quite some time ago; oh how I felt sorry for him. I personally think that he would have deserved atleast one win :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjZttxbEhT0&mode=related&search=

Stefan was almost the moral victor in that race. Of course, virtually everyone in that race seemed to run out of fuel, and Prost was disqualified for an underweight car, handing the win to Elio De Angelis.

Stefan was in great form in 1985, having stepped in at Ferrari at short notice after Rene Arnoux's mysterious departure from the team.