PDA

View Full Version : TRD3 Independance Day Trophy-NASCAR

tannat
23rd June 2007, 21:00
High time for a TRD3 stock car event, you reckon? :D

Wee break in the TRD3 V8s and DTM for next weekend..

In honor of the upcoming Independance Day I'm running a one-off NASCAR (nee TRD3 Dodge Super Speedway Tour) event. Event details are as follows:

Track: Nashville Superspeedway

Post your entry as follows:

Car #
Race team Name
Marque (Chevrolet, Dodge, Ford or Toyota) I know only Dodge is offered in the game. Use your imagination...

Corner Cutting ON
All other driving aids my be turned off
Grid Position: Qualifying (please post times on Codemasters HoF)
Race Length: 100 laps
Pit Stops: Minimum of one stop with tire change

Car Setup: ONLY downforce and 4th gear ratio may be modified, all other parameters (including tire hardness) MUST remain default

Please submit fast lap and overall times by midnight, July 1st.

By the way, I'll be away from the net from Monday the 25th until Wednesday the 27th. :D

Have a big time, ya hear!

tannat
23rd June 2007, 21:52
Race Length: 100 laps

Ummm let's change that to 50 laps, so the race will last about 30 minutes, as I expect lap times to be in the high 20's

tannat
23rd June 2007, 21:54
Tannat
Toyota :ninja:
Old Millington Winery racing

Brown, Jon Brow
26th June 2007, 11:19
Do I really want to celebrate Independence Day? :|

Go on then

Jon Brown

Dodge

Front Row Motorsports

johnny shell
26th June 2007, 12:58
Oval Meister Johnny Shell's in the line-up!

#82 Kentucky Friend Racing Plymouth

Adam Sloma
26th June 2007, 14:44
In qualifications, car setup is free?

johnny shell
26th June 2007, 14:54
set-up - only downforce and 4th gear can be changed. everything else must be default, including tires.

qualifying posted on the codies HoF.

50 lap race with one pit stop for tires.

tannat
28th June 2007, 03:07
By the way-difficulty 100% ;)

johnny shell
29th June 2007, 20:05
hit the track today for practice & qualifications.

what fun it was to be driving that big V8 car around in circles again!

trying to imagine Juan Pablo going to F1 to that. amusing!

trying to be consistant is tough, when .10s seperates a good lap from an average lap.

but I ended up with a 26.37 qualification lap. more to come!

tannat
30th June 2007, 04:19
but I ended up with a 26.37 qualification lap. more to come!

Did you do that in free race or time trial mode?

I can't get below a 28.18 in TT mode :(

RaikkonenRules
30th June 2007, 15:56
Late Entry

#8 RaikkonenRules
Team Triple R Toyota

tannat
30th June 2007, 16:11
Late Entry

#8 RaikkonenRules
Team Triple R Toyota

Welcome RR....

Grid of 5-should be a decent run :up:

tannat
30th June 2007, 16:35
Did you do that in free race or time trial mode?

I can't get below a 28.18 in TT mode :(

How banged up are you after that 26.37?

I'm in the mid 27s, but sustaining a bit of body damage....

RaikkonenRules
30th June 2007, 18:12
Completed my race. Ovals aren't my strong point perticully Nashville. Found about a second per lap as the race went on thougth. :)

Adam Sloma
30th June 2007, 18:27
Warka Strong Racing
Ford

26.32 after 2 laps on the track :D and after next 20 laps... nothing better.

tannat
30th June 2007, 19:10
Warka Strong Racing
Ford

26.32 after 2 laps on the track :D and after next 20 laps... nothing better.

Could you share your min/max speeds from telemetry, Adam?

Adam Sloma
30th June 2007, 21:13
Hit the track again and set 26.30 on the 2nd lap.

26.08 on free setup.

tannat
2nd July 2007, 00:11
Hit the track again and set 26.30 on the 2nd lap.

26.08 on free setup.

Cheers on the telemetry, Adam :up:

My max is 4 mph below yours, and my min is 10 mph below yours :(

I'm in trouble...

johnny shell
2nd July 2007, 12:03
my 26:37 was in TT - hence the code for the HoF. it's all in the gearing & the downforce. I think for TT mode I was at no DF and .80 gearing. for the race I went up to .81 gearing to allow me to take advantage of the draft a little, but still turn good laps when I was on my own - there was a trade off there for sure!

johnny shell
2nd July 2007, 13:18
P.S. I didn't bang my car up in qualifying at all! rubbing the walls tends to slow one's car down :D

RaikkonenRules
2nd July 2007, 13:20
I'm doomed then. My fastest was 3 seconds slower than JS and Sloma's. :(

Could someone PM me some setup advice for future oval races?

tannat
2nd July 2007, 13:42
P.S. I didn't bang my car up in qualifying at all! rubbing the walls tends to slow one's car down :D

With no downforce my car understeers directly into the wall. Absolutely unavoidable.

So are you dropping throttle through the turn? Perhaps that is where I am losing time.....

johnny shell
2nd July 2007, 14:26
no, flat out for the whole 50 laps I think. could've set the cruise control probably. I think I had to lift once through traffic maybe.

if you stay right on the outside wall on the straight-a-way, you can pretty much follow the black marks on the pavement - by mid corner you'll be down on the yellow line, then start to drift out towards the wall at the end.

on corner exit, you want to get as close to that wall as you can - and let the steering wheel unwind itself as early as possible. even help if unwind if you can.

through out the turn, you want to use as little steering input as possibly. the more you turn the wheel, the more it slows you down.

that's why it's so important to get that wheel straightened out as quickly as you can on corner exit.

but all I did to the car was change the gearing & set the DF to 50%......

johnny shell
2nd July 2007, 14:30
I suspect where Sloma got me on the Q laps was just in smoothness - less steering wheel input, and a smoother line through the corners that scrubbed off less speed - and in getting the steering wheel straightened out quicker on corner exit.

johnny shell
2nd July 2007, 14:35
with the steering angle being so critical, it's possible that you controller users just can't be competitive????

like, I can feel the wheel start to straighten itself out on corner exit - you can't. in the turns, when the car hits a bump I can feel it in the wheel and let the steering wheel move a bit - with a controller you can't.

I'll try it with a controller tonight & see what happens....

tannat
2nd July 2007, 15:26
There is an option where you cna alter the controller deadzone and saturation. I'll play with that a bit tonight and see what happens

I'll post results tomorrow, guys....

tannat
3rd July 2007, 17:54
After 50 laps the winning margin was 1.19 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tannat
3rd July 2007, 18:01
Tight at the front with not much to choose between the Ford of Adam Sloma and the Plymouth of Johnny Shell, with only 7/100ths separating the two. Tannat took 3rd on the grid with a 27.59, and RaikRules 4th in the Toyota with a 29.91

1--Adam Sloma---Ford-------26.30
2--Johnny Shell---Plymouth--26.37
3--Tannat--------Toyota----27.59
5--RRules---------Toyota----29.71

tannat
3rd July 2007, 18:04
It was quite a finish.....

After 50 close laps of racing, the Plymouth of Johnny Shell nudged Adam Sloma's Ford by just over a second!!!

Raik Rules takes third in his Toyota after the team entry of Tannat slung a rod on the warm up lap :(

1--Johnny Shell----Plymouth-----23:06.63-----26.07
2--Adam Sloma----Ford----------23:07.82-----26.14
3--RaikRules-------Toyota--------29:54.01----29.71
DNS-Tannat--------Toyota--------------------

johnny shell
3rd July 2007, 18:29
just like real nascar racing, a lot of it probably just came down to what kind of brakes you got in the draft.

when I came out of my pit stop I had to run all alone for several laps - I thought that might be my downfall.

thanks for coming over to run the taxi cabs Sloma - it was a real treat to see what one of the world's best could do in a stock car!

and thanks tannat for organizing this race. I used to race entry level V8 stock cars on a 1/2 mile high banked track and this brought back a lot of memories.

johnny shell
3rd July 2007, 18:41
p.s. didn't get to try it with a controller last night but will get to it tonight or otmorrow & report back Thursday!

tannat
3rd July 2007, 19:00
and thanks tannat for organizing this race. I used to race entry level V8 stock cars on a 1/2 mile high banked track and this brought back a lot of memories.

Dirt or asphalt, JS?

And cheers on the win :up:

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd July 2007, 19:08
I was planning on racing, but some large American guys in suits kidnapped me and sent me on a plane back to England. I over heard them mention that they were working for a 'Mr.Shell'.

johnny shell
3rd July 2007, 19:11
asphalt. I started off on a pretty flat 3/8 mile track here in Lousville then moved up to a 1/2 mile high banked track in Salem, Indiana. Bristol was modeled after Salem. I was always a road racing fan but racing around Salem was pretty dang awesome!

tannat
3rd July 2007, 19:48
I was planning on racing, but some large American guys in suits kidnapped me and sent me on a plane back to England. I over heard them mention that they were working for a 'Mr.Shell'.

:rotflmao:

johnny shell
3rd July 2007, 19:53
haha very funny Mr Brown!!!!

I think you're implying that I'm scared of you! well I ain't scared of no little turkey like you!

what REALLY happened is that Mr Brown chickened out when he saw Sloma enter - just like Mr B is chickening out of the F3 series!

cluck cluck cluck chicken boy!

johnny shell
3rd July 2007, 19:54
(wow, this race REALLY brings back some memories now that a fight's broken out!)

Brown, Jon Brow
3rd July 2007, 20:05
haha very funny Mr Brown!!!!

I think you're implying that I'm scared of you! well I ain't scared of no little turkey like you!

what REALLY happened is that Mr Brown chickened out when he saw Sloma enter - just like Mr B is chickening out of the F3 series!

cluck cluck cluck chicken boy!

Ave you heard this guy!?!?!?!?!? :p

The real reason is that I had no time due to 22 hours of overtime at work :)

Adam Sloma
3rd July 2007, 21:18
After 50 laps the winning margin was 1.19 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1.19 in the NASCAR it's a lots of time. Congrats Johnny!

RaikkonenRules
4th July 2007, 15:41
Ave you heard this guy!?!?!?!?!? :p

The real reason is that I had no time due to 22 hours of overtime at work :)

22 hour!!!! And just where do you work Mr. Brown. :p :

johnny shell
5th July 2007, 14:06
why thank you Mr Sloma!

I tried it yesterday with the controller - steered right into the wall just like tannat did. can't explain it. the controller just won't turn the wheel enough or something.

more proof that people using hand pads are at a disatvantage, and that those who are competitive on hand pads, like Mr Brown, should really be applauded.

tannat
5th July 2007, 14:19
why thank you Mr Sloma!

I tried it yesterday with the controller - steered right into the wall just like tannat did. can't explain it. the controller just won't turn the wheel enough or something.

more proof that people using hand pads are at a disatvantage, and that those who are competitive on hand pads, like Mr Brown, should really be applauded.

This is some consolation.

Many thanks, Mr Shell :D

Brown, Jon Brow
5th July 2007, 16:16

:D

Well that is a very kind and sincere thing to say Mr Shell :up: