PDA

View Full Version : Why prototype driver seats Not in middle?

kalasend
22nd June 2007, 22:03
I have always wondered, prototype cars are not modified from a production cars. So why aren't they designed so that driver seats in the middle??

Well, sitting in the middle is a good thing, correct?

IMSAFAN1
22nd June 2007, 22:43
I remember from my prototype days with Jim Downing it was easier to get the driver in and out of the car when the seat is either on the left or right. Also on most tracks the driver's door opens in towards the pit wall. The Mclaren F1 GT car had the seat in the middle, it was hard for the drivers to get and out of it. The manufactures built prototypes to showcase their marque. Porsche built customer cars to go racing with. If you had the money you bought a 956 or a 962 if not you bought a 911 or a 935. Also the manufatures are using the technology from their prototypes the use in their street cars.

tannat
22nd June 2007, 23:00
I have always wondered, prototype cars are not modified from a production cars. So why aren't they designed so that driver seats in the middle??

Well, sitting in the middle is a good thing, correct?

I believe the rules state that the car must have seating positions for 2 individuals (or something to that effect)http://www.lemans.org/sport/sport/reglements/pages/i_24hauto2007_gb.html

call_me_andrew
22nd June 2007, 23:26
No tannat, I believe it's a two seat MAXIMUM, and whatever IMSAFAN1 said goes.

jeffs
6th July 2007, 15:51
No tannat, I believe it's a two seat MAXIMUM, and whatever IMSAFAN1 said goes.

Actually, he's right. You may want to read the rules he posted:

"ART. 14 – COCKPIT
14.1 - The cockpit must provide the best protection for the driver.
14.1.1 - It must be possible to fit symmetrically about the vertical
plane passing through the longitudinal centreline of the car two
seats of equal shape and size excluding the shoulder supports
and/or the mandatory protections mentioned in articles 15.4,
16.1.1 and 16.3"

Also, see pg. 36 of the LMP 1/2 rules. It has a drawing from the front of the car perspective of the required cockpit design with two seats.

Side by side, two seat cockpits are mandated for all LMP cars, closed and open.

Bob Riebe
7th July 2007, 01:18
Remember these are sports cars, not formula cars.
Sports cars have at least two seats; the wannabe Can-Am follow on, was nothing more than Formula A/5000 cars with fenders. Not sports cars.
Bob

Mark in Oshawa
7th July 2007, 05:41
Sportscars have to keep up the fiction they are designed for two people, just like the old MG's or 911's....

Now no one would ever put two people in a modern Sports car, but I like the proportions of a modern sportscar. There is something very unique about that appearence. The cars look larger, more masculine, more "Real" than say an f1 car. My wife looked at diecast LeMans car I had on the shelf, and said "is there one of those on the road somewhere?"....THAT is the reason they should always insist on 2 seats...