PDA

View Full Version : Kris Meeke leaves WRC

Jarek Z
18th December 2006, 10:25
Talented British driver Kris Meeke has decided to leave WRC. He said he is sick of the current situation in this championship. He said WRC is a place where only money is important and not talent. He was offered a season in PWRC, but he rejected it saying that PWRC is a road to nowhere giving expamples of Niall McShea and Martin Rowe, who were both PWRC champions, and who were both forced to leave WRC as no teams were interested in them.

Meeke said he will still wait if anybody offers him a drive in a WRC car, but he will not approach everybody with a beggar's hat and beg for a chance.

Kris Meeke on the Rally of Poland:
http://www.rallyonline.pl/ft.php?idg=1609&pg_[go]=22

1LM1
18th December 2006, 10:32
Let's see if he will manage to enter the IRC now.

JAMESWRC
18th December 2006, 10:58
surely the pwrc is better then nothing

Tomi
18th December 2006, 11:02

True, better than to stay at home or than to continiue with s1600.

cut the b.s.
18th December 2006, 12:06

where does it lead? The guy knows he is worth a WRC seat, cant really blame him for getting down hearted that his 'sport' no longer regards or rewards talent

Lousada
18th December 2006, 12:15
Meeke said he will still wait if anybody offers him a drive in a WRC car, but he will not approach everybody with a beggar's hat and beg for a chance.

He is/was quite naive to think the world really works that way. Talent is nothing, contacts are everything. A few weeks ago I read an interview with Gregoire de Mevius, who said when he was still driving the WRC, he thought exactly the same as Meeke does now. Wiser now, De Mevius has a Rallyraid-team with Nissan pick-up trucks with which he will compete the Dakar 2007.

Also it's a little odd Meeke doesn't accept the PWRC deal. I can imagine worser jobs than rally-drving.

DonJippo
18th December 2006, 12:32
Also it's a little odd Meeke doesn't accept the PWRC deal. I can imagine worser jobs than rally-drving.

Same here as RedBull surely has some plans for the future in rallying...

Buzz Lightyear
18th December 2006, 12:41

Do you not understand. Meeke is not a rich man, he has got this far solely on merit, nothing else. For the Redbull PWRC drive he apparently needed to bring €300.000, not can you see why?

As I said on another thread...

now you are beginning to understand UK!! that is exactly the problem. Britian has a problem of living in the past, and resting on laurals of past acheivements. when we mean british drivers have no support.... it means absolutley no support.. from sponsors, media, teams, manufacturers, business... nothing.

JAMESWRC
18th December 2006, 13:12
Do you not understand. Meeke is not a rich man, he has got this far solely on merit, nothing else. For the Redbull PWRC drive he apparently needed to bring €300.000, not can you see why?

As I said on another thread...

now you are beginning to understand UK!! that is exactly the problem. Britian has a problem of living in the past, and resting on laurals of past acheivements. when we mean british drivers have no support.... it means absolutley no support.. from sponsors, media, teams, manufacturers, business... nothing.

I didnt know he had to bring money as well it didn't say that at the start of the thread, it said he had been offered a drive nothing about money so no need to get in a stress about it and say we live in the past.
300.000 is not alot compared to the amount the a WRC drive costs. Neither Mcshee or Rowe dominated GRP N and so sponsers were not that interested where as if Meeke dominated every round then maybe things could progress with a good backing. It could be his last chance.

Buzz Lightyear
18th December 2006, 13:16

double post.. sorry :)

ZequeArgentina
18th December 2006, 13:37
Lack of support happens everywhere, and be sure that being in Europe is a great advantage!!
For southamericans, your first step is to go to Europe, and that alone requires a lot of money, just for being in same conditions that a begginer in Europe.

I guess that doing PWRC is a good option, if there are some other top competitors in it.
Latvala is confimed, Aigner (not top, I know) also, Pozzo, Ligato, Arai PG Andersson?
If we have good and many, recognized drivers there, WRC teams would be looking for drivers performances there.
Rowe was champon but of a shy field of GR N drivers.

It also brings trainning in WRC rallies.

sal
18th December 2006, 14:00
A criminal waste of talent.Pity he wasnt Spanish or Norweigan then it would be a completely different story.

turves
18th December 2006, 17:05
To be honest, as much as I think the guy deserves a WRC drive, I cant help thinking he really damaged his chances by throwing away the lead/championship on day 2 of WRGB, with over a minute in hand...

Buzz Lightyear
18th December 2006, 17:07
To be honest, as much as I think the guy deserves a WRC drive, I cant help thinking he really damaged his chances by throwing away the lead/championship on day 2 of WRGB, with over a minute in hand...

OK, if he had won the rally, what would have changed? Would Kronos suddenly drop their price, not pay a few mechanics? It makes no difference what these young guys do.

turves
18th December 2006, 17:10
OK, if he had won the rally, what would have changed?

Nothing probably, but if he'd won the title wouldnt it have looked better when looking for a sponsor to have 2007 Junior World Rally Champion on his C.V?

turves
18th December 2006, 17:16
I'd just like to add that I dont know whether he would've won the championship had he won in Wales, I havent done the Maths!

Regarding the PWRC, it hasnt done Latvala any harm! The PWRC surely led to his WRGB drive, in which I would say he certainly turned a few heads, and a couple more results like that next year and it could well lead to a full WRC programme.

aivan
19th December 2006, 09:34
A criminal waste of talent.Pity he wasnt Spanish or Norweigan then it would be a completely different story.

I agree... it's a waste of talent for sure.
Take no offense, but why you say spanish?. People struggle here to get sponsorship aswell.
Pons has looooots of mony himself (or family) and Sordo was just lucky his father knows the most important bank owner in Spain...
Telefonica days are long gone... at least in rallying.

sal
19th December 2006, 12:55
Not meant to be a slur on the Spanish or Norweigans at all, far from it. I know the state of the Spanish series from reading Todo Rallyes magazine. What i meant is that there seems to be people interested in helping drivers in those countries develop be it through financial backing in some cases or lobbying teams to give thier guys seats. In the UK the RACMSA has paid lip service to developing drivers and the Rally Elite programme helps but it stops well short of putting money in to help buy seats. We've had two PWRC champions and a couple of drivers Meeke and Wilkes who can rightly be counted as in the top few young drivers in the world and what will we have in 07? Zero presence apart from Matt Wilson who is some way off reaching the top level. And then as a country we wonder why rallying has an all time low profile compared to the heady days of the late 90s with Mcrae and Burns.

If Kris ends up doing the BRC in 07 it will be a complete tragedy for him.

Tomi
19th December 2006, 13:19
Not meant to be a slur on the Spanish or Norweigans at all, far from it. I know the state of the Spanish series from reading Todo Rallyes magazine. What i meant is that there seems to be people interested in helping drivers in those countries develop be it through financial backing in some cases or lobbying teams to give thier guys seats. In the UK the RACMSA has paid lip service to developing drivers and the Rally Elite programme helps but it stops well short of putting money in to help buy seats. We've had two PWRC champions and a couple of drivers Meeke and Wilkes who can rightly be counted as in the top few young drivers in the world and what will we have in 07? Zero presence apart from Matt Wilson who is some way off reaching the top level. And then as a country we wonder why rallying has an all time low profile compared to the heady days of the late 90s with Mcrae and Burns.

Yes true, maybe your MSA or what is it, should put up somekind of risk fund, from where talented drivers could loan "risk money", witch they would pay back if they ever become payed drivers, it would be in principe the same as having a manager, only in this case it would be MSA who takes the risk not the manager.
The drivers could be picked based on international results in WRC events.

Any way i think you should soon get somekind of system how to get the guys sponsored, driving rally in ERC or simular pussy series takes serious drivers nowhere.

AndyRAC
19th December 2006, 14:33
Tomi, you have to live over here to understand that there isn't a hope in hell of the MSA giving or lending money to aspiring talented young Rally drivers. They would say that is not what they are here for, the money they have is from competition license holders, they might not like their money going to Rally drivers. They would also say that what they are here for is to provide support, but not financial, I'm afraid.
I do think your idea is quite a good one, but I can't see it happening, though I maybe wrong.

MikeD
19th December 2006, 15:36
He is/was quite naive to think the world really works that way. Talent is nothing, contacts are everything. A few weeks ago I read an interview with Gregoire de Mevius, who said when he was still driving the WRC, he thought exactly the same as Meeke does now. Wiser now, De Mevius has a Rallyraid-team with Nissan pick-up trucks with which he will compete the Dakar 2007.

I agree!

After listening to the latest interview with him, I think he has to put most of the blame on himself. He finished 7th in the JWRC and seem to blame everybody but himself for not reaching his goal of becomming a WRC driver. And he is blaming his lack of money - well wake-up sunshine! Money has always been a major part of motorsport. If this is a surprise to you then you are even more naive than what should be allowed. He acts like everybody else is to blame, and that for sure is not going to get him a seat in WRC.

Buzz Lightyear
19th December 2006, 16:04
I agree!

After listening to the latest interview with him, I think he has to put most of the blame on himself. He finished 7th in the JWRC and seem to blame everybody but himself for not reaching his goal of becomming a WRC driver. And he is blaming his lack of money - well wake-up sunshine! Money has always been a major part of motorsport. If this is a surprise to you then you are even more naive than what should be allowed. He acts like everybody else is to blame, and that for sure is not going to get him a seat in WRC.

Mike, I suggest you do some more reasearch before making a sweeping generalisation like that. He had 3 non-finishes due to mechanical failures, while leading EVERY event in the JWRC. He has the most fastest stages times by a massive margin, and he did not apportion blame to anyone in this interview.... He is simply stating he has no money to continue. Tell me what part of the interview below is not true...

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/article2079543.ece

Meeke no longer driven by World Rally dream
Saturday, December 16, 2006

By Sammy Hamill

Kris Meeke has given up on his World rally championship dream.

He has rejected an offer to be part of a Red Bull junior team and his name will not be on the list of drivers registered for the 2007 championship when it is announced this weekend.

Meeke was offered the chance to join young Austrian Andreas Aigner in a two-car Production Cup team, but the 26-year-old Ulsterman said he had made up his mind enough was enough.

"Being part of the World championship is all I have thought about for the past five years - chasing it, craving it, but not any more," he said.

"I still want to do it and if some team wants me to drive for them, then fine, but I'm not going cap in hand begging to be given the chance. They know what I am capable of.

"It has been like a constant toothache for too long and now that I have made the decision the pain has gone."

A member of the Citroen Junior World championship team for the past two years, where he was clearly the fastest driver, Meeke admits he has been on a roller-coaster for the past week and it seemed his dream to drive WRC cars would be realised with a move to Kronos Racing as part of an M2 team for Citroen.

On Wednesday that dream ended with Austrian Manfred Stohl moving from the OMV Peugeot team to Kronos, apparently as partner to Spaniard Xavi Pons.

However, Pons suddenly announced yesterday that he was pulling the plug.

"That will have come as a major shock for Kronos as they were relying on him for a big slice of their budget," said Meeke.

Meeke could have stayed in the World championship scene with Red Bull, but says that he has no real interest in driving production cars.

"If I could see that it was leading somewhere then I might have done it, but look at Martin Rowe and our own Niall McShea, they have both won the Production World championship in the past few years and where did it get them? Nowhere," he said.

"Neither of them has ever been given the chance to drive WRC cars. It just doesn't lead anywhere."

A former British junior champion and the protégé of former World champion Colin McRae, Meeke has become disillusioned by the whole WRC scene.

"It is not the glamorous world that it is portrayed as," he says.

"It is a hard place where money, not talent, is the most important thing.

"I'm not just talking about myself. There are loads of exceptionally talented drivers around, but unless they can buy their way in they will never be given the chance to show what they can do.

"The trouble is, you become addicted to living in that world, as I have done for the past few years and sometimes the hardest decision is to say no; to walk away, but I have decided to step outside that bubble and live in the real world again.

"It will be a massive culture change and it is going to take a while to adjust."

Meeke gave up his job as a design engineer with Ford's World championship M-Sport team to chase his rally dream.

Would he be interested in competing in the British or Irish Tarmac championships?

"I will take a couple of months to myself and see what I want to do," he said.

"I haven't really thought about the future.

"The World championship is what got me up at seven o'clock in the morning to go to the gym and got on my bike to ride for 40 miles a day.

"Whether anything else would provide the same motivation I don't know."

MikeD
19th December 2006, 16:45
Mike, I suggest you do some more reasearch before making a sweeping generalisation like that. He had 3 non-finishes due to mechanical failures, while leading EVERY event in the JWRC. He has the most fastest stages times by a massive margin, and he did not apportion blame to anyone in this interview.... He is simply stating he has no money to continue. Tell me what part of the interview below is not true...

Sorry BL, but I just don't agree with your points of view. If you look at KM's retirement record:

2002: 1 start - 1 retirement
2003: 7 starts - 5 retirements
2004: 7 starts - 3 retirements
2005: 8 starts - 4 retirements
2006: 6 starts - 3 retirements

A retirement percentage of (16 retirements/29 starts) = 55% and two wins.

I am sorry, but to me that doesn't look like the next big talent. Of course one should not only look at retirements, but you have to finish rallies to win them.

But what bother me the most is his attitude. The way he says "either WRC or nothing" in the interview at crash.net - it is the wrong way to express yourself. It will only lead to "nothing"

noel157
19th December 2006, 17:11
Time will tell Mr Mike if your views are correct.

Buzz Lightyear
19th December 2006, 17:36

Yes, and how many this year mechanical failures... 3

In his first two years he was in Opel Corsa setting fastest times then it broke.... every time.

I dont think you have a grasp on the money involved here. Is not a case of 'choosing' not to do PWRC... it cost €300.000, to drive a Red Bull Gp.N car.

Do you think that sort of money grow on trees?!

If you went to the bank and asked for €300.000, and we need another €2.000.000 euros next year... and the same the year after, you would be a laughing stock.

Face facts Mike, if 12 of the top 15 drivers where running their rallying careers as a buinsess, they would be closed down.

cut the b.s.
19th December 2006, 17:43
Sorry BL, but I just don't agree with your points of view. If you look at KM's retirement record:

I am sorry, but to me that doesn't look like the next big talent. Of course one should not only look at retirements, but you have to finish rallies to win them.

But what bother me the most is his attitude. The way he says "either WRC or nothing" in the interview at crash.net - it is the wrong way to express yourself. It will only lead to "nothing"

I admire Kris as a driver, and I admire that unlike so many he has the balls to walk away, you have your view, I have mine, and mine is that he is the most deserving person right now for a step up to a WRC drive, more deserving IMO than 1/2 the guys already there, he has made mistakes, but his speed is incredible, and remember the WRC cars a a lot easier to drive, I think some of his accidents have came partly from frustration at being stuck in a S1600 despite he and nearly everyone else knowing he should have had a break by now. I still hope something works for him, but he can go with his head high, unlike the renta drivers who will only have a WRC future till they can no longer get Daddy etc to pay for them

SubaruNorway
19th December 2006, 21:57
radio interview http://www.crash.net/uk/en/services/radio/radioplayer~radioURL~3048.wma~csp~1.htm

JAM
20th December 2006, 00:47

Colin McRae:

1987: 2 starts - 1 retirement
1988: 1 start - 1 retirement
1989: 3 starts - 1 retirement
1990: 1 start - 0 retirements
1991: 1 start - 1 retirement
1992: 4 starts - 1 retirement
1993: 6 starts - 3 retirements
1994: 9 starts - 4 retirements

27 starts - 11 retirements

In 1994 would you imagine that this would be one of the biggest rally drivers? At that time he already was... with almost 45% retirements.

Some analyses suck... people look at some things that are useless. Look at the speed, the consistency, the posture. That's what makes a great driver. Rallying has the mechanical aspect, and not always is driver's fault.

Lousada
20th December 2006, 15:39
Do you think that sort of money grow on trees?!

Apparently Kris Meeke does:

"I still want to do it and if some team wants me to drive for them, then fine, but I'm not going cap in hand begging to be given the chance. They know what I am capable of.

For the amount of money it takes to drive WRC you need to crawl around the dust for everyone that might give you a penny. Sure they know what he is capable of, everybody knows that. Wilson, Frequelin and Richards run a business not a charity. They are not out for the fastest driver (unless it's the next Loeb) but they want the driver which has the greatest value for money.

Lousada
20th December 2006, 15:43
Colin McRae:

1987: 2 starts - 1 retirement
1988: 1 start - 1 retirement
1989: 3 starts - 1 retirement
1990: 1 start - 0 retirements
1991: 1 start - 1 retirement
1992: 4 starts - 1 retirement
1993: 6 starts - 3 retirements
1994: 9 starts - 4 retirements

27 starts - 11 retirements

In 1994 would you imagine that this would be one of the biggest rally drivers? At that time he already was... with almost 45% retirements.

Some analyses suck... people look at some things that are useless. Look at the speed, the consistency, the posture. That's what makes a great driver. Rallying has the mechanical aspect, and not always is driver's fault.

Not a good comparison, by that time Colin had already won a few WRC rounds and two BRC titles. Plus he drove with the big boys in Group A and not in little junior shoeboxes.

LotusElise
20th December 2006, 17:31
Yes, he does come across as a bit stroppy in that interview.
However, to quit must mean that his heart is no longer in it.

Simmi
20th December 2006, 18:33
I really thought the Red Bull sponsorship was his trump card but it didnt work out that way. Red Bull seem half interested in rallying in terms of the money and commitment they will put in.

cut the b.s.
20th December 2006, 23:49
Not a good comparison, by that time Colin had already won a few WRC rounds and two BRC titles. Plus he drove with the big boys in Group A and not in little junior shoeboxes.

Your 'junior shoeboxes' are a heck of a lot harder to keep on the road than WRC or GpA 4WDs, retirement rates are high in JWRC across the board, these cars are more fragile and run in worse road conditions

GruppoB
21st December 2006, 01:54
I think Meeke has every right to bitch. 90% of the people on this forum only know a fraction of all the bullsh!t that goes on behind the scenes, including myself.

dune
21st December 2006, 02:10
i wonder if he kept the relationship going with colin would that have brought in the money required, who knows but it`s still a loss, lets hope he gets some cash sorted from a kind benefactor

aivan
21st December 2006, 10:12

I see your point...
It's curious to see how England has a great rallying heritage, with drivers, a strong championship, many teams based there.. etc but the drivers get no aid at all.

Anyway... it's a shame a talent like Chris is leaving.

jacko
21st December 2006, 21:43
It's better to drive something than nothing. As i read the interview it's clear he didn't take the hand from the Red Bull team because he thinks it leads to nothing. Complete bull**** this, you learn always specially because it's a 4wd in stead of a 2wd where he was driving the previous years. And another point, if he beats Aigner the whole season and Red Bull sponsered again maybe a WRC team (like 2006) his place in the team was almost secured. Really stupid move because there so many (good & fast) drivers out there without a seat. Anybody know which driver had taken the second seat in the Red Bull team?

Buzz Lightyear
21st December 2006, 23:59
It's better to drive something than nothing. As i read the interview it's clear he didn't take the hand from the Red Bull team because he thinks it leads to nothing. Complete bull**** this, you learn always specially because it's a 4wd in stead of a 2wd where he was driving the previous years. And another point, if he beats Aigner the whole season and Red Bull sponsered again maybe a WRC team (like 2006) his place in the team was almost secured. Really stupid move because there so many (good & fast) drivers out there without a seat. Anybody know which driver had taken the second seat in the Red Bull team?

jacko... did you miss the bit where is cost 300.000 euros?

jacko
22nd December 2006, 11:23
jacko... did you miss the bit where is cost 300.000 euros?

yes, i didn't read it in the interview. If it's true and he has no money, than it's still be a strange look at the situation. To drive a year with 4wd helps you with more xperience and staying involved in the world championship, look at Manfrred Stohl, he had done many years with a Group N car and suddenly there was the moment in 2005 where he drove 12 rounds with a WRCar. Sometimes you're lucky and things goes very quickly (like Sordo, Hirvonen and Atkinson) and sometimes you must be patient (like Gronhölm, Stohl). In the past we saw many fast drivers suddenly in factory cars, sometimes they set very good times and nowadays there gone.
I think Meeke will comeback about this crying, he's too young for his reaction.

Mr_xl_Lancia_lx_
22nd December 2006, 13:51
have we had any comment from colin, as he is his protege aswell...?
would be a blow for mcrae too, because he obviously intended that meeke would where colin left his mark in the wrc.

i think if the MSA did what other national motorsport boddies as a previous writer mentioned, i think meeke 1st off would be an even better driver now with proper funding for training etc, and would have secured a decent 07 drive...IF the MSA were any good...

unfortunately its almost useless

Tomi
22nd December 2006, 13:56
(like Gronhölm, Stohl)

From Holland comes the truth :) and Mäkinen, and many others, if our drivers would give up soon as they hit troubles, we would have a lot less worldchampions.

Nenukknak
22nd December 2006, 14:02
I can imagine Kris being disillusioned about the WRC. But he has to keep in mind that the WRC is a very sick puppy. Only 6 factory seats and of those 6 maybe 3 or 4 that aren't paid for. There is just not a whole lot to go around, and it's unfortunate for Kris and other (young) talents to be active in WRC at this point in time. Teams simply don't have the budgets anymore to pay 2 or 3 drivers. A testimony to the state in which the WRC is.

Tomi
22nd December 2006, 14:14
I can imagine Kris being disillusioned about the WRC. But he has to keep in mind that the WRC is a very sick puppy. Only 6 factory seats and of those 6 maybe 3 or 4 that aren't paid for. There is just not a whole lot to go around, and it's unfortunate for Kris and other (young) talents to be active in WRC at this point in time. Teams simply don't have the budgets anymore to pay 2 or 3 drivers. A testimony to the state in which the WRC is.

Maybe it would be clever for him, if he is so good he think he is, to do like Gardemeister did this year, get a budget for 3-4 WRC events this year and drive a few top 4 finishes, to show teams that he still is around, and worth to be seen as an alternative when seats comes free, the time is on his side anyway. :)

Buzz Lightyear
22nd December 2006, 15:49
Maybe it would be clever for him, if he is so good he think he is, to do like Gardemeister did this year, get a budget for 3-4 WRC events this year and drive a few top 4 finishes, to show teams that he still is around, and worth to be seen as an alternative when seats comes free, the time is on his side anyway. :)

Tomi, throughout all this coversation, and other threads, you have seen what state British motorsport is in. 'On-its-knees' would be an understatment.

ITV is dumping the coverage, becuase of sh1t vieing figures, becuase no british driver is at the sharp end. New MSA rally liecense application are going through the floor, and yet Wilks and Meeke are let fall by the wayside, while people whine about no terrestial TV coverage.

Yes, overcourse, it would be clever to do 4 WRC rallies.. but still you need 150.000 euros per rally. Meeke was simply stating he cannot find this type of money to continue, although he is still trying im sure.

I can see his point, it was the same two years ago, he was offered the Surbaru drive, but could not raise the money. Again, he was offered the Kronos drive.. and again no support from his home country. He has good guys working for him, but its still not happening.

He might be as good 'as he thinks he is', and well he should. Citroen dont let monkeys test the Xsara and C4, he jumped through all the hoops for the Subaru selection 2 years ago, and he is as fast as Sordo on tarmac, and led every JWRC event this year. Better pedigree than some of the 'pretenders' are the moment.

Nobody is crying, but I think some people on the forums lose sight of the amount of money required. A four rally program you mention, would cost 600.000 euros. This is what an averge income would earn in 15 years... and in WRC its gone in 4 weekends.

OK, if thats the WRC 'bubble' we refer to..... thats fine, but he is simply stating that he cannot afford to continue. Nothing more.. nothing less.

A.F.F.
22nd December 2006, 16:38
yes, i didn't read it in the interview. If it's true and he has no money, than it's still be a strange look at the situation. To drive a year with 4wd helps you with more xperience and staying involved in the world championship, look at Manfrred Stohl, he had done many years with a Group N car and suddenly there was the moment in 2005 where he drove 12 rounds with a WRCar. Sometimes you're lucky and things goes very quickly (like Sordo, Hirvonen and Atkinson) and sometimes you must be patient (like Gronhölm, Stohl). In the past we saw many fast drivers suddenly in factory cars, sometimes they set very good times and nowadays there gone.
I think Meeke will comeback about this crying, he's too young for his reaction.

A very good post :up:

Folks, the way some young drivers has entered the WRC scene, is basicly an illusion, meaning it won't happen that often and usually young lads gain experience first. Let's not forget it.

Tomi
22nd December 2006, 17:11
Tomi, throughout all this coversation, and other threads, you have seen what state British motorsport is in. 'On-its-knees' would be an understatment.
ITV is dumping the coverage, becuase of sh1t vieing figures, becuase no british driver is at the sharp end.

TV visibility has nothing to do with it, you can not sell anything that not excist, Rally will never become anything for someone who put everything on TV visibility, you better look for some company who looks for growth in countries where the majority of the events is, and start building something around that, it's more cheeper than commercial time in TV and more effective too.
That is how its done here and elsewhere too, im sure that there is companies in GB who looks for growth too, what branche they are in does not matter.
Me my self has been helping drivers too, not doing any major things, but something to help anyway, so i know for sure what i talk about, and know it can be done. :)

cut the b.s.
22nd December 2006, 20:54
TV visibility has nothing to do with it, you can not sell anything that not excist, Rally will never become anything for someone who put everything on TV visibility, you better look for some company who looks for growth in countries where the majority of the events is, and start building something around that, it's more cheeper than commercial time in TV and more effective too.
That is how its done here and elsewhere too, im sure that there is companies in GB who looks for growth too, what branche they are in does not matter.
Me my self has been helping drivers too, not doing any major things, but something to help anyway, so i know for sure what i talk about, and know it can be done. :)

You make it sound easy, do you want his email address?

Tomi
22nd December 2006, 21:05
You make it sound easy, do you want his email address?

no, and its not easy, but you can give it the brittsh rally fans.

AndyRAC
24th December 2006, 16:34
Tomi, you do know your Rallying and you know what your talking about but you have to live here in the UK to understand the problems Kris faces, Buzz explained it very well. The money needed to do 4 WRC events or to do the PWRC just isn't to be found in Britain, certainly not for Rallying. If a company or person wanted to sponsor him, what do they get out of it; very limited exposure. I just wish there was an extremely generous benefactor to give him the money so he could take his rightful place in the WRC. The UK is a WRC unfriendly place at the moment.

Finni
24th December 2006, 16:54
Why wouldn't try to collect needed money by asking ordinary people to help. Roman Kresta got budget for one season by fan-support. I am sure that Meeke could raise some money with that system. Or maybe we have to note that there more rich rally fans among czhecs...

Simmi
24th December 2006, 17:03
Why wouldn't try to collect needed money by asking ordinary people to help. Roman Kresta got budget for one season by fan-support. I am sure that Meeke could raise some money with that system. Or maybe we have to note that there more rich rally fans among czhecs...

I'd forgotten about the Fans for Kresta thing. They raised more money then anyone could have imagined. There must be a reason why it hasn't been tried since. I'd give Meeke 20 quid if he wanted it.

MJW
24th December 2006, 22:01
Wait and see......... I think KM will be around in 2007

noel157
25th December 2006, 03:43
Meeke will be around in 07 I'm sure. Meeke has not left the WRC or left rallying. He has not given up on securing a drive sometime in 07. In that interview he was expressing his frustration at the limited number of seats available and the fact that a driver, talented or not, needs big, very big bucks to secure a seat in a very limited market. Obviously he was also promoting himself and telling anybody who's listening "give me a budget, I need a budget".
On the face of it a PWRC drive (even if a budget could be found) would sound like very attractive option if only to stay in rallying. But it could well be a backward step for him. Look what happened to Martin Rowe and Nial McShea? PWRC is a side show and is not a natural progression to WRC, not for him anyway. He feels he's ready for the big stage and I sincerely hope he achieves that because when he gets there he'll do very well. He's still young, only 26 or so.
I wonder if his fans and others can do something? Worth thinking about.

ProRally
25th December 2006, 07:37
On the face of it a PWRC drive (even if a budget could be found) would sound like very attractive option if only to stay in rallying. But it could well be a backward step for him. Look what happened to Martin Rowe and Nial McShea? PWRC is a side show and is not a natural progression to WRC, not for him anyway.....
We have been active in PWRC since 2002 and yes we are maybe a side show, but at least we are there. Ok it is not cheap to run a WRC car and yes it is even not cheap to run a PWRC car, but hey this is the Production WORLD Championship, if you have not enough budget, drive a national series.
We seem to forget that MOTORSPORT is a expensive sport. Look at single seaters many year ago I went to the Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch there where 150+ cars trying to get a place on the grid, now ? Look at karting, if you want to do a decend series with your son/daughter make shure you have the necessary funds...
If you want to make money play Golf or Tennis, in MOTORSPORT you only spend money. All of us we LOVE this sport and for some of us it is our job, but since the early 1900s it was a sport for people who can afford it.
Yes there are people like Mr. Companc who likes the sport and what he spends is less than what he spends on fuelling his private 737, yes there are drivers like Manfred who kept himself in the picture through PWRC and landed a super deal with OMV, yes there are people like Henning who through networking got a super deal with Expert and others, yes Niall and Martin did not find the right budget, but maybe they took a wrong decision...
Look at current PWRC champion, he wants to drive a WRC car (and he and his sponsor can afford it) but he decided to defend his title in PWRC as WRC cars are really expensive and then as private driver you are not going to beat the factory cars, last season PWRC took WRC points when they finnished in top 8 OVERALL...
Off course each driver want to get to the very very top, and yes there are ONLY a few seats available for the lucky few, but IF you love the sport and can't afford a WRC car and you can stay active in the 'side show' PWRC, but how many drivers would jump at the chance to drive PWRC, at least you are there.
We are in the 'transition years', we all know this WRC car are just for the manufacturers, S2000 lets wait and see, in 2008 the FIA R classes will come, a alternative to WRC cars, PWRC, S2000 or S1600.
Sorry to go on about this, but if you like and Love the sport and even if you can stay active in it by driving in the side show PWRC, but at least you are doing what you like and you stay active in the sport...
Looking at PWRC 07 a lot of drivers think the same.
Maybe better to take a step back and keep active then stay at home, again if you Love the sport you will keep driving
Merry Christmass to all our forumers

Tomi
25th December 2006, 07:52
We have been active in PWRC since 2002 and yes we are maybe a side show, but at least we are there. Ok it is not cheap to run a WRC car and yes it is even not cheap to run a PWRC car, but hey this is the Production WORLD Championship, if you have not enough budget, drive a national series.
We seem to forget that MOTORSPORT is a expensive sport. Look at single seaters many year ago I went to the Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch there where 150+ cars trying to get a place on the grid, now ? Look at karting, if you want to do a decend series with your son/daughter make shure you have the necessary funds...
If you want to make money play Golf or Tennis, in MOTORSPORT you only spend money. All of us we LOVE this sport and for some of us it is our job, but since the early 1900s it was a sport for people who can afford it.
Yes there are people like Mr. Companc who likes the sport and what he spends is less than what he spends on fuelling his private 737, yes there are drivers like Manfred who kept himself in the picture through PWRC and landed a super deal with OMV, yes there are people like Henning who through networking got a super deal with Expert and others, yes Niall and Martin did not find the right budget, but maybe they took a wrong decision...
Look at current PWRC champion, he wants to drive a WRC car (and he and his sponsor can afford it) but he decided to defend his title in PWRC as WRC cars are really expensive and then as private driver you are not going to beat the factory cars, last season PWRC took WRC points when they finnished in top 8 OVERALL...
Off course each driver want to get to the very very top, and yes there are ONLY a few seats available for the lucky few, but IF you love the sport and can't afford a WRC car and you can stay active in the 'side show' PWRC, but how many drivers would jump at the chance to drive PWRC, at least you are there.
We are in the 'transition years', we all know this WRC car are just for the manufacturers, S2000 lets wait and see, in 2008 the FIA R classes will come, a alternative to WRC cars, PWRC, S2000 or S1600.
Sorry to go on about this, but if you like and Love the sport and even if you can stay active in it by driving in the side show PWRC, but at least you are doing what you like and you stay active in the sport...
Looking at PWRC 07 a lot of drivers think the same.
Maybe better to take a step back and keep active then stay at home, again if you Love the sport you will keep driving
Merry Christmass to all our forumers

Well said, also next years PWRC seems to become entry wise very good. :)

Peugeot206WRC
25th December 2006, 15:06
Isnt there drivers outside UK who got sponsors in UK...
Its strange no UK drivers can get it in their own country.
Now I dont know if its like this now.

MJW
25th December 2006, 22:11
Just wondering if the Brit drivers are continually trying motor industry sponsors. A few years ago Gareth Jones in UK had sponsorship from Gadget Shop, who have now incidentally ceased trading. Maybe us Brits shuld try PC World, Currys's etc. If you read the news stories there is a never ending consumption of electronic gadgets (Expert / Henning) why not Orange, Vodafone, etc. Trouble is big concerns like Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc with their stupid salary bills (make Schumacher look cheap) drain all the big money in UK.

Tomi
25th December 2006, 22:22
Just wondering if the Brit drivers are continually trying motor industry sponsors. A few years ago Gareth Jones in UK had sponsorship from Gadget Shop, who have now incidentally ceased trading. Maybe us Brits shuld try PC World, Currys's etc. If you read the news stories there is a never ending consumption of electronic gadgets (Expert / Henning) why not Orange, Vodafone, etc. Trouble is big concerns like Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool etc with their stupid salary bills (make Schumacher look cheap) drain all the big money in UK.
Good idea, also it would be good to try companies that has no use or very little of tv, like for instance, heavy industry, chemical industry, electronic component industry, a few to mention. But it would be better if start earlier the relationship between the company and the driver, about at the time when the driver starts to drive in national championship events, in my opinion the ideal would be long term sponsorship with 1 big sponsor and a few smaller, incase something happens to the big one.

MJW
25th December 2006, 22:37
I have worked with some Swedes in the past on WRC and in Sweden it is still hard to find money but there is more of a "community" feel with sponsor such as Olsbergs etc. helping people. UK is REALLY hard.

Tomi
25th December 2006, 22:54
I have worked with some Swedes in the past on WRC and in Sweden it is still hard to find money but there is more of a "community" feel with sponsor such as Olsbergs etc. helping people. UK is REALLY hard.

Yes i guess you are right, but the swedes are a little like windmills, they dont have any plan for their drivers, they are happy with what they get , if you look at Daniel Carlssons carreer you see what i mean, it looks like zig zag, it should be a curve up.

MJW
25th December 2006, 23:42
You are very correct about the "windmills" - Definately Finland leads with the academy of WRC. Mikko had a bad time at SWRT, then some good results in 2005, especically on tarmac, same with Gardemeister in the 206 on Monte all those years ago. There is definately a "good system" in Keski Suomi.

cal
30th December 2006, 18:22
I think we all can learn from the United States. After all, that's the home of advertising and marketing. Look at and learn from NASCAR.

Bazza2541
30th December 2006, 18:30
LOL, Nascar.............All they have to do is turn left and they still manage to balls that up.

cal
30th December 2006, 18:42
LOL, Nascar.............All they have to do is turn left and they still manage to balls that up.

So? I can think of more boring sports getting money. Football perhaps?

NASCAR seem to always have good relationships with companies through sponsor/marketing schemes.

cut the b.s.
30th December 2006, 19:04

Nascar is probaly the best run motorsport in the world, whether you are a fan or not you would need to be 'challenged' not to see how successful it is