PDA

View Full Version : So, will anyone be cheering on Lewis Hamilton?

Chaparral66
18th December 2006, 08:01
With the hiring of Lewis Hamilton, after watching Formula 1 for nearly 30 years, I finally have someone I can relate to. I hope this kid tosses this series on its ear and becomes very successful. McLaren has a very talented driver and should bring some much needed excitiment and press to Formula 1.

Jonesi
18th December 2006, 09:05
People are going to compare him to his teammate, the current World Champion, they shouldn't but they will. Also McLaren dosn't have a good record of developing Rookies. I wish him luck, but I think he's going to have a rough year.

Azumanga Davo
18th December 2006, 09:27
I reckon he will get along just fine. He has had experience in many formulae and has so far done very well in them. :)

Mark
18th December 2006, 11:18
He's our next British hero, and I for one will be cheering him all the way :D

samuratt
18th December 2006, 11:56
I think he will do well if stays calm and cool. As i said before he's got nothing to losse and that must be his approach to this seasson... On the other hand if he starts meassing around with impossible overtakings maneovres like ih successfully did in Gp2 he mway have a problem gettin the car out of the barriers...

I think he will do very well, but hie must take it easy!

CarlMetro
18th December 2006, 12:02
I've watched Lewis through various stages in his career, from carts through to GP2. He has always been someone who has stood out amongst the crowd in whichever series he has raced in and not because he was with the best team/equipment but because of his raw talent.

I don't think he has all he requires to dominate F1 in the same way he has with everything else, but give him a few years in a decent drive and I think he has the potential for true greatness.

I will be cheering him on :up:

Donney
18th December 2006, 12:55
I suspect lots of people will be cheering him on, and I expect him to be a great F1 driver, but he will need some time.

Hawkmoon
18th December 2006, 13:17
I will not cheer him on whilst my arse points to the ground. Or, more acurately, while ever he drivers one of those bloody awful silver things from the House that Ron Built.

Aside from that, I wish him all the best. 3rd place behind the Ferraris will probably suit the boy. Teach him the proper order of things. :D

slinkster
18th December 2006, 13:18
I'll be cheering him on yeah but I hope he doesn't too hyped up at once... he's only young still and has alot to learn so I hope people respect that still before they judge him too harshly or criticise him.

18th December 2006, 13:31
I will not cheer him on whilst my arse points to the ground. Or, more acurately, while ever he drivers one of those bloody awful silver things from the House that Ron Built.

Enzo? Is that you?

millencolin
18th December 2006, 14:09
i wont be cheering him... he's a pom! but good luck to him

Viktory
18th December 2006, 16:28
I'll be cheering him on, hoping he will beat Alonso, but that is all.

Dave B
18th December 2006, 17:02
I'll be cheering him on yeah but I hope he doesn't too hyped up at once... he's only young still and has alot to learn so I hope people respect that still before they judge him too harshly or criticise him.

What she said :up:

Lewis has worked hard for years to get where he is, he hasn't simply been gifted this drive by McLaren. It's perhaps unfortunate that he's got a 2x World Champion as a team mate because there will inevitably be comparisons, but everything I've seen of Hamilton thus far leads me to feel confident that he'll be sensible enough to learn from Alonso and to remain level-headed and concentrated on the task in hand.

The British media, gawd bless those greasy shirts in Wapping, will hype him like mad before the season and everytime he does well. They'll also be the first to point the finger on those weekends where things go wrong. Plus there'll be the whole "first black guy in F1" thing to deal with in the press.

Of course a lot rides on whether McLaren have sorted out the issues which have plagued them over the last few seasons or produced another fast but fragile lemon, the sort of car which drove Kimi into the loving arms of Ferrari.

Yes, I'll be cheering Lewis on. But remembering that it's his first season in F1 and not expecting miracles.

Sleeper
18th December 2006, 17:08
I'll be cheering him on. He's the first Brit I've seen of the recent era that can make a claim to join the list of greats, though that will be a few years down the line as he's only a rookie at the moment.

grassrootsracer
18th December 2006, 17:31
What she said :up:

Lewis has worked hard for years to get where he is, he hasn't simply been gifted this drive by McLaren. It's perhaps unfortunate that he's got a 2x World Champion as a team mate because there will inevitably be comparisons, but everything I've seen of Hamilton thus far leads me to feel confident that he'll be sensible enough to learn from Alonso and to remain level-headed and concentrated on the task in hand.

The British media, gawd bless those greasy shirts in Wapping, will hype him like mad before the season and everytime he does well. They'll also be the first to point the finger on those weekends where things go wrong. Plus there'll be the whole "first black guy in F1" thing to deal with in the press.

Of course a lot rides on whether McLaren have sorted out the issues which have plagued them over the last few seasons or produced another fast but fragile lemon, the sort of car which drove Kimi into the loving arms of Ferrari.

Yes, I'll be cheering Lewis on. But remembering that it's his first season in F1 and not expecting miracles.

What he said.

trumperZ06
18th December 2006, 17:37
;) I will be following him with interest this season. We can expect a rookie mistake or two... but Y'all might also anticipate that he will turn some seriously fast laps.

:dozey: I would like to think the British Press won't overhype him this year...

but that would be a Bigger Surprise than Lewis getting a podium finish.

:s mokin:

Scuderia ferrari
18th December 2006, 17:54
Prolly. Good british talent for once! DC is okay- but i'm talking about Button- 113 starts, 1 win.

But anyway...

He should be good, me and my dad probably will, but with me being a ferrari fan supporting Massa and Raikonen, and other good drivers such as Kovi, Rosberg, Alonso, Button (yet again) and Robert Kubica it should be a corker of a season!

Not forgeting the older drivers DC, Webber, and hopefully Antony Davidson

jens
18th December 2006, 19:08
I'm not particularly cheering, but I hope he'll do well and one day will join the WDC hunt (and first impression is that he might well achieve that). What more drivers there are at the top that better it is. :p :

But anyway - what annoyes a bit that all the youngsters are overhyped. First give him some time to settle him and let's see what he is capable of.

raikk
19th December 2006, 05:00
Hamilton like Wellwood is a new hope! something to look forward to in the future and I am deffinetly backing him and Kimi 100%.. Perhaps Lewis even more.. ;)

wmcot
19th December 2006, 08:58
I'd like to but it's hard to do when I hate RD as much as I do. Maybe I'll cheer him into a contract with another team!!!!

jens
19th December 2006, 10:32
I'd like to but it's hard to do when I hate RD as much as I do.

Hating is a very strong feeling. You must have a good reason for that?

samuratt
19th December 2006, 10:54
I'm not particularly cheering, but I hope he'll do well and one day will join the WDC hunt (and first impression is that he might well achieve that). What more drivers there are at the top that better it is. :p :

But anyway - what annoyes a bit that all the youngsters are overhyped. First give him some time to settle him and let's see what he is capable of.

That reminds me of Rosberg, which started very well, like he was going to be the real thing... and the end he was beaten to the rookie of the year by Kubica.

On the other hand you have Kubica, which dominated the world series, never raced GP2, and still he was able to beat his teammate in the last races...

all in all... you never know. Let the show begin!

:D

pino
19th December 2006, 12:02
I will cheer for Hamilton against his Team-mate :D why ? because I don't like Alonso, and unlike samuratt i don't have problems admitting that ;) :p :

harsha
19th December 2006, 12:16
i'm a mclaren fan ofcourse i'll be rooting for him

samuratt
19th December 2006, 16:33
I will cheer for Hamilton against his Team-mate :D why ? because I don't like Alonso, and unlike samuratt i don't have problems admitting that ;) :p :

You can be sure that i won't be cheering for Fishi!!!!! ;)

agwiii
19th December 2006, 16:52
He's our next British hero, and I for one will be cheering him all the way :D

I think you're right. He's the next Button.

VkmSpouge
19th December 2006, 17:17
I'll be cheering on Lewis Hamilton next year along with the other British drivers. I'm hoping he'll race well and get good results but it'll be his first F1 season so we shouldn't be expecting too much from him.

ZzZzZz
19th December 2006, 18:44
Hell ya. I'll be hoping to see a good rookie fight with him and Kovalainen, and hoping to see both make the top of the podium.

Robinho
19th December 2006, 19:36
yeah i'll be cheering for him, i do think he could become great, i hope i'm proved right, and i also hope Button gets his act together this year and has some success before Hamilton takes over as top brit.

but i'm also hoping for great things from Kovy, Alonso, Kimi and Massa this year so i stand to be disappointed somewhere along the line!

jso1985
19th December 2006, 20:23
Of course I will, he's a McLaren driver and my biggest hope in McLaren's future.
Now let's just wait people won't trash him when he gets beaten by Alonso, let's be clear here, there are few chances that he will actually manage to beat Alonso easily, I don't expect him to do it anyway, with regular finishes on points and a podium or two I think I'm happy

W8&C
19th December 2006, 21:15

Bad boy!

:D :D :D

jas123f1
20th December 2006, 01:15
He is a good guy. Talent guy, really - and a VERY good help to Alonso during next season. I think that IF he can help McLaren to win the championship he has dune more that anyone expected (except McLaren - perhaps) :)

Viv
20th December 2006, 08:41
I will. He's in a McLaren :D

stevie_gerrard
20th December 2006, 18:18
i hope he does well, and i will cheer him on as a loyal brit, but im not expecting fireworks from him in his first season.

trumperZ06
20th December 2006, 18:30

;) I certainly hope Lewis is a whole lot smarter than Button !!!

:dozey: Button... I never saw a young man screw up sooooo many contracts in that short a period of time !!!

IMO... The British press is likely to hype Lewis as the Second Coming... wish they would give the Kid a chance to become accustomed to Formula 1 first.

:s mokin:

RWD
20th December 2006, 18:48
I will be keeping an eye on him next year, but my support will stay with DC

WSRfan82
20th December 2006, 20:59
i think hami will do fine but won't do much in 2007 give it till 2008 before he start making a real name for him self

20th December 2006, 21:09
Other than him having a bloody awful taste in teams, I hope he does well. F1 needs new names post you know who.

Schnell
20th December 2006, 23:12
Only if he doesn't spin the thing, trying to run before he can walk, in front of my guy!

PSfan
21st December 2006, 00:15
Other than him having a bloody awful taste in teams, I hope he does well. F1 needs new names post you know who.

Hmmm, Can't fault Hamilton for being on a team that has already invested some 5 million dollars into him.

ZzZzZz
22nd December 2006, 05:50
They weren't bloody awful when he began his relationship and things change fast in F1. Certainly, this is his best opportunity. If the team can't improve *and* he shows better than the team, he might end up with someone else in '09 or so.

TMorel
23rd December 2006, 21:35
I don't give a stuff what nationality a driver is.
The last "Brit" I cheered on was Brundle!

I'm looking forward to seeing how ALL the new batch of drivers do, and if Lewis and Ant can stick in some good performances then F1 will be all the better for it, but no more than say Kovalainen.

agwiii
28th December 2006, 03:05

While testing is just that, Hamilton seems to be doing a good job in this preseason testing phase. Let's hope he makes 2007 interesting.

Zico
8th January 2007, 02:39
Hes clearly very quick in testing... and his level headedness and attitude has impressed me very much. Ill be cheering him on and predict some decent point scoring finishes later in the season if McLaren have a competative car..

Tazio
8th January 2007, 04:00

Aside from that, I wish him all the best. 3rd place behind the Ferraris will probably suit the boy. Teach him the proper order of things. :D

Nice! Infact----"That's a spicey a Meatball"

tsarcasm
8th January 2007, 05:06
I would like to root on the youth, but he is driving for the 'dark side'.

Now that Schumi is retired I'll be cheering. Ant' Kubica & Kimi

dwf1
8th January 2007, 12:45
I will be cheering Lewis all the way and i have a feeling hes gonn be a lot better than people think!