PDA

View Full Version : French accents on letters for my PC

Valve Bounce
21st June 2007, 00:02
How do I get the French accents on th eletters for my PC? I tried Start/control panel/fonts but got nowhere. I know there are also mathematical symbols too.

Can anyone help me please.

LeonBrooke
21st June 2007, 00:14
Go to the start menu and go to run. Type in "charmap". That should bring up what you're looking for :)

CarlMetro
21st June 2007, 00:36
Move to France?

Buy a French keyboard?

Valve Bounce
21st June 2007, 00:41
Thanks!! :)

Valve Bounce
21st June 2007, 03:37
Move to France?

Buy a French keyboard?

No thanks - been there, done that!

LeonBrooke
21st June 2007, 03:40
You didn't like it?

Storm
21st June 2007, 06:47
I would guess its the same as what I do to get the spanish characters.

Go to regional settings and add whatever charset you are looking for...
wait...I just looked at that to be exact so you dont mess up since you seem all at sea :p :

I am on Windows 2000, it could be different if you are on XP etc but similar-
Go to Control Panel -> Regional Options -> Input Language
There you will most likely see English as default...add French to that list (I see plenty...Belgian, Lux, Canadian etc) then an icon will appear in your sys tray which lets you flip between English and French!
When you flip to French....most probably a Shift + accent you want (single quote key, tilde) followed by the letter you want that accent on - is how it works...atleast for Spanish International Sort.

Let me know if it also works for you...not going to do that as well for you ;)

schmenke
21st June 2007, 14:50
I would guess its the same as what I do to get the spanish characters.

Go to regional settings and add whatever charset you are looking for...
wait...I just looked at that to be exact so you dont mess up since you seem all at sea :p :

I am on Windows 2000, it could be different if you are on XP etc but similar-
Go to Control Panel -> Regional Options -> Input Language
There you will most likely see English as default...add French to that list (I see plenty...Belgian, Lux, Canadian etc) then an icon will appear in your sys tray which lets you flip between English and French!
When you flip to French....most probably a Shift + accent you want (single quote key, tilde) followed by the letter you want that accent on - is how it works...atleast for Spanish International Sort.

Let me know if it also works for you...not going to do that as well for you ;)

Alt-Shift flips the keyboard layout to French. Some key locations are then not necessarily the same as the English layout; for example the "?" is shift-6 instead of Shift-/ . If you're doing much typing in French you may want to invest in a bilingual keyboard.

Drew
21st June 2007, 15:45
If you want to do accents like this áéíóú, then press "alt gr" and the vowel you want. It works on my British keyboard, at least :)

schmenke
21st June 2007, 20:13
What about âàèëêô, and the ubiquitous ç ? :p :

Caroline
22nd June 2007, 17:12
Hmm and what about the Welsh 'tor bach'? The little roof above a letter ^. I would love to know how to type it with a y and not have to write it on afterwards in pen :s

LeonBrooke
24th June 2007, 07:27
Use the character map. It's the easiest solution I can think of.

Ranger
24th June 2007, 10:27
My friend has a French keyboard and says its tops, because it also has Spanish and English on it. That might be one way to solve your problem.

Valve Bounce
24th June 2007, 11:03
You didn't like it?
No! I kept getting the letters wrong - some keys are in different positions. It's interesting that even in the internet establishments where many of the users are not french, I asked and could not get a non-french (qwerty) keyboard. The guy admitted that many tourists had asked about that;

But you know, they are french!!
:(

donKey jote
24th June 2007, 20:45
aren't you a bit old for french letters anyway ? :p :

:dozey: