PDA

View Full Version : Series Name Change

blakebeatty
20th June 2007, 19:23
NASCAR's top series to be renamed Sprint Cup in 2008: Beginning with the 2008 season, Sprint will replace Nextel as title sponsor of NASCAR's premiere racing series, multiple high-ranking industry sources told ESPN.com on condition of anonymity. The series will be known as the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series, sources said. NASCAR declined comment. Dean Kessel, Sprint's NASCAR marketing director, denied the claims, and said Sprint/Nextel is still sorting the proposition out with NASCAR. Kessel also said that multiple outstanding details must be finalized internally before a decision can be made either way. This would mark the third time in four seasons NASCAR's Cup Series experienced a sponsorship-based name change. From 1972-2003, the Cup Series was sponsored by R.J. Reynolds tobacco through its Winston cigarette brand. Then, starting in 2004, Nextel assumed the naming rights to the most popular racing series in America

I think that eveyone saw this coming...

inimitablestoo
20th June 2007, 20:06
Are they sure that doesn't infringe on Nextel's exclusivity? ;)

Alexamateo
20th June 2007, 20:27
That's great! I love "sprint" car racing!

:p : :D :)

Sparky1329
20th June 2007, 20:55
Oh, the irony.

luvracin
20th June 2007, 21:46
Why not ....

North American Stock Car Championship..... or NASCAR Championship for short :p :

They could also rename the Allstate 400 to the Brickyard 400 to bring back the prestige of that name.

Jag_Warrior
20th June 2007, 23:27
I'm going back to "Winston Cup" til this gets all sorted out.

call_me_andrew
20th June 2007, 23:48
Well this is really going to play out nicely in that lawsuit.