PDA

View Full Version : Super League

shazbot
20th June 2007, 17:42
Just wanted to see what the consensus is for this Superleague thing http://superleagueformula.com/ I know it's been tried before and failed (twice?) but this time they appear to have a show car or two together and the web site seems to be up dated regularly. If it ever happens the car could be pretty cool. Of course there are too many one make series already (in my opinion) but at least on paper it looks like it will be a serious race car with a potentially great sounding V12 motor?

ioan
20th June 2007, 18:04
Not really interested by one make series, and anyway there are already plenty of open wheel racing series.
And the most important thing, I can't stand watching football!

call_me_andrew
20th June 2007, 20:58
It's a Panoz DP01 with an airbox! It's Champ Car with a lemon twist!

And that's comming from a guy who has described Champ Car as "GP2 with cherry".

LeonBrooke
21st June 2007, 00:25
I think it's the last thing we need - another new concept for open-wheel racing. If people really want their own series, why do they have to think of a new gimmick?

I'd be interested if it involved new technology like hybrid cars, or scaled-down powerplants like what F1 will be using in the future, but motorsport with football clubs is silly.

millencolin
21st June 2007, 01:56
unless Tottnemham is involved, i dont care

call_me_andrew
21st June 2007, 06:23
A similar idea was tried here a few years ago. It was called Team Racing Auto Circuit (TRAC). The idea was to run each team as a city based franchise (complete with salary caps and revenue sharing). They had cars, they had TV contracts, but no one invested in the idea because it was so stupid. And eventually they ran out of cash with out running a single race.

wmcot
21st June 2007, 07:18
Might be interesting if they had players from the teams drive...or would that be like "Superstars and Fast Cars?"

ArrowsFA1
21st June 2007, 08:20
Just wanted to see what the consensus is for this Superleague thing
The idea has failed once before already, and this latest reincarnation offers nothing new except a different name.

Pointless.

Garry Walker
21st June 2007, 12:14
The idea has failed once before already, and this latest reincarnation offers nothing new except a different name.

Pointless.

Exactly. There are enough bunny leagues already.

ShiftingGears
21st June 2007, 13:05
WHY?!

OmarF1
22nd June 2007, 22:19
pointless series..., they should put a star footballer driving the car to see some fun, crashes, big red and yellow cards instead of flags, driving on grass, three driver changes during the race, I don't know, it would be a better idea to have some event a la Race Of Champions, team vs. team, footballer driving, and each event in a different stadium. just tripping.

shazbot
7th January 2008, 13:54
Check out the pics of the wind tunnel model, it looks friggn' awsum (better than the Ferrari F2008, wa waah!)! :vader: Despite all the backlash against the idea, it does seem that it is moving forward rather seriously.

http://superleagueformula.com/

LeonBrooke
7th January 2008, 22:04
I still think the concept is silly but the car does look cool, especially with the shots of the guys building it - you don't get to see much of that elsewhere.

Cozzie
7th January 2008, 22:09
Yeah and it obviously doesn't appeal to motorsport fans and I doubt it will appeal to football fans, so that leaves them with a worldwide audience of housewives...or perhaps no one!

millencolin
8th January 2008, 12:43
i still dont understand.... why?!?!?!?

first off, there is only 10 clubs. not much of a fanbase is there.

second, many motorsport fans watch certain series because they are interested in them, not because its 'racing'. i dont watch any old series, i watch the series i am interested in. and im sure that would go for most of you here.

thirdly, i can't imagine a football fan being excited over their teams racing efforts. im sure they would rather them invest their time, money and effort into their team to help them in gaining success. IF my local footy team (the Brisbane Broncos, its not a soccer team btw) started throwing their money into some 2-bit racing series, i would be p!ssed off! I don't care about the BroncosRacingTeam, i want them to win the premiership!!!

this series is a JOKE!

wedge
8th January 2008, 13:13
It's bad enough that we have A1GP....

Mark
8th January 2008, 15:14
Falvio put it best a few years ago

Football is football. Formula 1 is Formula 1

DazzlaF1
9th January 2008, 10:27
i still dont understand.... why?!?!?!?

first off, there is only 10 clubs. not much of a fanbase is there.

second, many motorsport fans watch certain series because they are interested in them, not because its 'racing'. i dont watch any old series, i watch the series i am interested in. and im sure that would go for most of you here.

thirdly, i can't imagine a football fan being excited over their teams racing efforts. im sure they would rather them invest their time, money and effort into their team to help them in gaining success. IF my local footy team (the Brisbane Broncos, its not a soccer team btw) started throwing their money into some 2-bit racing series, i would be p!ssed off! I don't care about the BroncosRacingTeam, i want them to win the premiership!!!

this series is a JOKE!

I know my team (Newcastle United) sponsored Lister's GT efforts in the late 1990's but thats nowt compared to THIS, its a stupid idea, its like something some 6 year old would dream up. I think it wont last beyond one season before it bites the dust

shazbot
9th January 2008, 20:52
Yeah, you may be right. I like the look of the car that's all. I have some mates who have no interest in racing but love footy and they thought it was cool so maybe that's the target audience? Seems as though there's been alot of money invested so their market research must have shown some interest. It could be the best sounding race car out of the current crop - F1 included.