PDA

View Full Version : FIA to free up aero rules

ioan
20th June 2007, 13:44
The FIA is considering a radical plan to allow flexi wings in Formula One if teams reject its push for a standard chassis in the future, autosport.com has learned.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59983

Interesting. Not what we were expecting from them, but still better than a standard chassis in F1.

ioan
20th June 2007, 13:47
BTW according to Mosely we can consider ourselves experts if we can see that the cars are the same even if painted in different colors and adorned with different sponsors:

"The competition would then be between drivers armed with rival, fuel-efficient drive trains but otherwise in equal cars. Painted differently and with different sponsors, the cars would look as different as they do today to anyone but an expert.

Or is he taking fans for idiots?!
But he clearly doesn't know the difference between movable and deformable:

"Modern Formula One technology is sufficiently mature to eliminate the risks of both passive and active aero devices. Moreover, the FIA is already confronted with ever-more sophisticated moving bodywork. Engineers appreciate that when subjected to a force, everything moves – it is just a question of how much.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59983

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 13:54
I don't know what he was smoking, but it sure as hell beats hallucinogenic toadstools. :D

Flat.tyres
20th June 2007, 14:01
I have no problem with deforming bodywork. It will create less disruption for following cars down the straight. it would also be good if they limit areas where aero devices can be situated on the cars.

this dont sit to well with the master plan for slowing cars though max?

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 14:09
I have no problem with deforming bodywork. It will create less disruption for following cars down the straight. it would also be good if they limit areas where aero devices can be situated on the cars.

this dont sit to well with the master plan for slowing cars though max?

The cost for creating these devices that can win races would be ginormous. To take this to the most ridigilis case, every circuit is different, has different corners that demand different moveable wings to maximise cornering speeds, not to mention devices that would greatly assist braking, cornering (like banking the cars). Then, of course, they could also assist acceleration if we mounted turbo fans on the rear of the cars.

Then, of course, we could have flapping wings that would cause havoc to following cars. :D

Is max thinking of Bernie's fan car (Brabham)?

Dazz9908
21st June 2007, 00:24
Standard Chassis in F1, Boring! and will not be F1,
I agree with Ioan, And Yes most of us will Know the cars look the same, Max your an Idiot thinking fans wouldn't notice or car!
We do notice the difference styles, lines and technical differences between the cars.
F1, I think needs a little less aero (Low down force), no traction control, and manual gearboxes, allowing drivers to fully control the car, racing would take care of it's self!

Valve Bounce
21st June 2007, 04:21
Cut the aero completely - save heaps, and we'll see some real racing then.

wmcot
21st June 2007, 06:45
Cut the aero completely - save heaps, and we'll see some real racing then.

Isn't that called NASCAR???? :)

ShiftingGears
21st June 2007, 08:43
Free up the engines you tosser! Then you can consider aero.

ioan
21st June 2007, 09:49
Bring back ground effect, limit the number of additional winglets to zero, allow for wider slicks and than we will see good and healthy racing again. :D

XR8
21st June 2007, 10:25
Yeah a control wing and no add ons, slicks, no carbon brakes, manual change gearboxes and a stock block rule so manufacturers will give us better engines in our road cars!

ioan
21st June 2007, 10:32
...and a stock block rule so manufacturers will give us better engines in our road cars!

I doubt many of us will buy a Ferrari or the high class BMW's or Mercedes' that would use those engine blocks.

call_me_andrew
22nd June 2007, 06:51
Isn't that called NASCAR???? :)

No, you'd still have to go with a front engine layout and tripple the weight.

jas123f1
22nd June 2007, 09:02
Autosport June 21st 2007, 17:32 GMT

Di Montezemolo is unhappy with F1 rules

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo, whose team are 35 points behind McLaren, said on Thursday that he was not enjoying Formula One this season because of rule changes.

"I don't like it much, I don't like it for many reasons," he told reporters at an event celebrating the 60th anniversary of the car maker.

"They need to change the rules on overtaking, I don't like the rules on the safety car that seemed to play roulette in Monte Carlo," he added.

(Massa was disqualified in Canada this month for ignoring a red light on leaving the pitlane while the safety car was deployed).

"I don't like it because it does not seem that races are truly fought for aerodynamical reasons and it is much more difficult to overtake.
---

"We have two strong drivers and we have very good competitors and we must not forget in the first four races we were strong," he said at Ferrari's head offices in Maranello.

;)

wmcot
24th June 2007, 07:58
No, you'd still have to go with a front engine layout and tripple the weight.

Shh! Don't give Max any ideas!!!