PDA

View Full Version : Vipers back in????

jslone
20th June 2007, 07:19
Would it be nice to have the Vipers back in ALMS?I mean with the Vettes only battling themselves,maybe DOdge can get back into the game,just wondering aloud here.

luvracin
20th June 2007, 14:48
Yes, it would be cool.

Unfortunately I've lost a little interest in ALMS with Audi and Corvette having no competition.

LMP2 is great yes but......

Sleeper
21st June 2007, 02:26
It would be nice to see the current model Viper being developed by a decent team, like what ORECA did in the 90's, but I just cant see it happening.

However, Prodrive are working on getting the Astons back to the ALMS, so lets hope they hurry that up.

trumperZ06
21st June 2007, 02:36
Mercedes has sold Chrysler to an outside investment group...

I'm not sure how much interest the new owners have in racing !!!

Aston Martin may be back in ALMS before year end. If not, certainly next year.

Mark in Oshawa
21st June 2007, 23:54
ALMS needs something, but it would do no good for the Vipers to show up and be non competitive. I wish the Saleens would come back too, for with money, I think they were capable of being competitive.

As for the Aston's coming back, it is the greatest problem the ALMS has, that the cars who will race LeMans wont come to the ALMS and run before decent crowds, while I watch some LMES series events on Speed and wonder if anyone is at the tracks. Frustrating.....

trumperZ06
22nd June 2007, 15:54
;) Hhmmm... same problem with Saleen !!!

Steve sold out and we have no idea if the new owners wanna go Racing !!!

Sleeper
23rd June 2007, 01:36
;) Hhmmm... same problem with Saleen !!!

Steve sold out and we have no idea if the new owners wanna go Racing !!!
Did he, when?

The ORECA cars are looking good but the S7 is getting a bit long in the tooth now (made its debut in 2000) and I dont know of any new Saleens.

BoilerIMS
25th June 2007, 14:47
Are any of the old GTS Vipers still in race condition? And if so, would they be legal under the more current GT1 rules?

If they are not, you don't just take a Viper off the production line, add a roll cage and go racing. GT1 cars require plenty of prep time.

trumperZ06
25th June 2007, 17:51
:D Sleeper here's info for you,

Article from Autoweek (6-07-07)... Less than a month after Saleen resigned from the company that bears his name... He has joined ZX Automobile Company of North America... as it's CEO !!!

;) For more info do an advanced search @ http://www.autoweek.com !!!

Sleeper
29th June 2007, 22:43
Are any of the old GTS Vipers still in race condition? And if so, would they be legal under the more current GT1 rules?

If they are not, you don't just take a Viper off the production line, add a roll cage and go racing. GT1 cars require plenty of prep time.
You'll find plenty of them in the French GT championship and I know at least Zackspeed run one in the Langstrechenmeisterschaft (or whatever its called) in Germany (an endurance series based solely on the Nordschleif I think).

Jag_Warrior
15th July 2007, 23:52
:D Sleeper here's info for you,

Article from Autoweek (6-07-07)... Less than a month after Saleen resigned from the company that bears his name... He has joined ZX Automobile Company of North America... as it's CEO !!!

;) For more info do an advanced search @ www.autoweek.com (http://www.autoweek.com) !!!

Thanks, Trumper! I didn't know about Saleen selling out either. He used to make big news (the S7 and having Tim Allen and other celebs onboard), but the company had been pretty quiet for some time. Too bad. Did the problems at Ford also drag him down? I understand he had some engineering contracts with them.

I'd also love to see the Vipers back. I'm not real crazy about the current one. It looks more like the Dodge version of the Corvette. In the World Challenge Speed GT, it's almost impossible to tell them apart at first glance. But it would be great to see it make a return to ALMS and Le Mans.

racefanfromnj
16th July 2007, 21:43
I suppose no one has seen the article about Woodhouse running a SWC GT Viper at Mid Ohio its a one off race, The car is being converted to ALMS spec for this race. I believe I saw it on Speeds site

Mark in Oshawa
17th July 2007, 07:43
I'd also love to see the Vipers back. I'm not real crazy about the current one. It looks more like the Dodge version of the Corvette. In the World Challenge Speed GT, it's almost impossible to tell them apart at first glance. But it would be great to see it make a return to ALMS and Le Mans.

I can tell the difference, and it is easy, because this year the Vipers don't look competitive in World Challenge...course the Vette's haven't been there either...

Paul Holroyd
18th July 2007, 09:43
Vipers should come back to ALMS...GT1 has been a joke this year with only two cars "what's all that about" Excuse my lack of knowledge here when it comes to regulations to do with the FIA, ACO, MSA and the rest, why do see so many different cars racing in different countries. For example in Japan their are so many GT car's Honda, Nissan, Porsche BI Turbo's, BMW and so-on, It's also like the DTM with the Audi and Merc's... why cant this cars race at the ALMS..OR CAN THEY..I don’t know can anyone explain why there are so many stunning cars not racing on the same track.

veeten
20th July 2007, 22:53
I suppose no one has seen the article about Woodhouse running a SWC GT Viper at Mid Ohio its a one off race, The car is being converted to ALMS spec for this race. I believe I saw it on Speeds site

oh, you mean this one from American Le Mans Series website...

http://www.americanlemans.com/news/Article.aspx?ID=3385

and here's their first run at Mid-Ohio...

http://www.speedarena.com/news/publish/sportscar/article_8050.shtml

:D

wbcobrar
22nd July 2007, 16:30
Viper in ALMS could be cool , but note the Woodhouse car is GT2 not GT1 .