PDA

View Full Version : LH defends against FA -what's your call?

race aficionado
19th June 2007, 16:59
OK, the discussion is already out there.

What's your call?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUKXwCLP0WY

:s mokin:

Flat.tyres
19th June 2007, 17:16
Why a call?

Alonso gets good drive and tow out of the corner and Lewis moves to the right first to break it. Then he slowley moves back to the center of the track to ensure that if Fred wants to overtake, he goes around the outside.

Both drivers drive hard but fair and Lewis defends his position.

Now, the Lewis detractors will say he swerved, blocked, cut, chopped and tried to put FA into the wall, was overly arrogant, chucked some monkeys out of the cockpit and shagged him up the arse without even kissing him goodbye in the morning.

ioan
19th June 2007, 17:17
Good racing.

Dave B
19th June 2007, 17:20
Hard racing, but totally fair - from both men. :up:

We moan like mad when there's no action, yet the minute to brilliant drivers get within a few yards of each other we start looking to apportion blame :rolleyes:

19th June 2007, 17:31
What is the world coming to?

Two drivers race for position.

It doesn't need any in-depth analysis.

trumperZ06
19th June 2007, 17:39
;) Much Ado... about Nothing !!!

:D Good racecraft... nothing less/nothing more !!!

hugh_lee
19th June 2007, 17:40
what's my call? hmm. lemme see..
i say hamilton wins this one. wanna raise the stakes?

Flat.tyres
19th June 2007, 17:40
my faith in this forum is restored :D

johnny shell
19th June 2007, 17:56
great racing! I'm a Alonso fan, but I sure didn't expect them to order Lewis to let FA pass under the curcumstances.

yes FA was faster at that point, but so? the team was going to finish 1-2. the team wouldn't be helped by FA getting around LH.

Firstgear
19th June 2007, 18:25
Good racing me thinks.

Has Alonso given any explanation for his swerve way to the right? He doesn't need to go that far for clean air. Looks like he's doing it to get the attention of the pits.

VkmSpouge
19th June 2007, 18:43
Good, fair, hard and clean racing. Nothing else really to be said.

truefan72
19th June 2007, 18:49
Good, fair, hard and clean racing. Nothing else really to be said.

yes

Zico
19th June 2007, 19:36

Yep..

race aficionado
19th June 2007, 19:44
hard racing is what I see but it is intresting to see someone like Derek Dailey (sp?) making those comments so convinced of the damage young drivers would be getting by watching those defensive LH moves.

.... I'm glad the other commentators jumped in to have their say too.

Zico
19th June 2007, 19:53
hard racing is what I see but it is intresting to see someone like Derek Dailey (sp?) making those comments so convinced of the damage young drivers would be getting by watching those defensive LH moves.

Defending your position within the rules is part of racing.. whatever his personal opinion is, is irelevent.

Allyc85
19th June 2007, 20:03
ive only just seen this and I think its great hard racing, some people are just trying to make a fuss out of nothing. If lewis had swerved violently back towards the racing line, it would have been bad, but it was just a gentle move.

Race on!!

cobre
19th June 2007, 20:11
not worthy of much comment, standard racing moves by 2 good drivers; nothing more.

keysersoze
19th June 2007, 20:35
Lewis Hamilton was brilliant in that front straight showdown.

Wilderness
19th June 2007, 20:51

If there was any damage, the good news is that this was likely Derek Daly's last annoncing job and no further youngsters' minds will be affected.

Robinho
19th June 2007, 21:09
the best thing aboutthe move, and the only worthy point i think that can be taken from it is just how close the 2 drivers were happy to drive next to each other, that was Mansell and Senna terroritry, shows that despite whatt he press spout about them there is clearly a great respect and a great battle between the 2 drivers - great stuff, more of the same please.

says a lot for the sate of F1 aero that a car (albeit identical one) that is faster at that point cannot get past a car on a 23 second straight which is about 15 cars wide! :rolleyes:

donKey jote
19th June 2007, 21:43
great stuff, more of the same please.

:up:

Kevincal
19th June 2007, 23:40
lmao...how is that not blocking. Hamilton comes off the turn onto the straight in the middle of the track...then swerves to the inside...and THEN pushes Alonso past the middle to the outside...hogging the whole damn track, which by the way is the only damn place on the track to pass!!! ;) Cheap blocking by Lewis. Fernando would have won that race if he passed Lewis there...

Ian McC
19th June 2007, 23:48
lmao...how is that not blocking. Hamilton comes off the turn onto the straight in the middle of the track...then swerves to the inside...and THEN pushes Alonso past the middle to the outside...hogging the whole damn track, which by the way is the only damn place on the track to pass!!! ;) Cheap blocking by Lewis. Fernando would have won that race if he passed Lewis there...

I think your opinion is in the minority here.

Kevincal
19th June 2007, 23:56
Oh and I love how everyone thinks Derek Daly is an idiot..when he's only raced in SIXTY-FOUR (64) F1 races... Ya, I guess all you couch racers would know better than him! ;)

jarrambide
19th June 2007, 23:57
Get your story straight mate, on some threads you argue that it was cheap blocking by Hamilton, in other threads you argue that since Hamilton is a Rookie and Alonso is a 2 time World Champion and has pay his dues, Hamilton should have respect him and allow him to pass.

But then again, it doesn't matters if you decide on one argument, if you use the "cheap blocking" argument you will be in the minority, it is called racing for a reason and there are rules, Hamilton didn't break the rules, so it was fair. If you decide to use the "he payed his dues, Hamilton disrespected him", you will be an even less minority, racing (and all sports for that matter) is not about paying dues and getting favors out of respect, racing is about who can has the best performance during the race, the guy who gets the best performance out of his car with the help of his crew gets to win.

Kevincal
19th June 2007, 23:58
The Hamilton bandwagon must be full of hot air! ;D

Kevincal
20th June 2007, 00:01
Get your story straight mate, on some threads you argue that it was cheap blocking by Hamilton, in other threads you argue that since Hamilton is a Rookie and Alonso is a 2 time World Champion and has pay his dues, Hamilton should have respect him and allow him to pass.

But then again, it doesn't matters if you decide on one argument, if you use the "cheap blocking" argument you will be in the minority, it is called racing for a reason and there are rules, Hamilton didn't break the rules, so it was fair. If you decide to use the "he payed his dues, Hamilton disrespected him", you will be an even less minority, racing (and all sports for that matter) is not about paying dues and getting favors out of respect, racing is about who can has the best performance during the race, the guy who gets the best performance out of his car with the help of his crew gets to win.

I never said anywhere Lewis should have "allowed" Alonso to pass, but he should have atleast given Alonso a fair shot since Alonso was indeed faster. Instead Hamilton said (with his driving), "to hell with that, I'm gonna hog up the whole straight."

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 01:30
I never said anywhere Lewis should have "allowed" Alonso to pass, but he should have atleast given Alonso a fair shot since Alonso was indeed faster. Instead Hamilton said (with his driving), "to hell with that, I'm gonna hog up the whole straight."

You can lip read at that speed? How amazing.

Have you ever watched your fav driver SchM's swerving, weaving, ramming, blocking, driving someone into a concrete wall?

Get a grip, man, get a grip. You already asked in your thread if you ere the only one who thinks Lewis Hamilton was blocking unfairly, and only a couple of guys agree with you - most of the guys who have been here for years see it otherwise.

Change the record - it's broken!!

Cart750hp
20th June 2007, 02:29
These two are getting the attention off the entire field. These two are starting to get on each other's nerve. Watch the next race. It should be fun

kalasend
20th June 2007, 03:09

Alonso was faster because he robbed the vacuum space behind Hamilton. Alonso tha robba!

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 03:37
:rolleyes:

wmcot
20th June 2007, 06:55
Oh and I love how everyone thinks Derek Daly is an idiot..when he's only raced in SIXTY-FOUR (64) F1 races... Ya, I guess all you couch racers would know better than him! ;)

Well he DID literally run over his teammate at Monaco, taking them both out of the race! (Perhaps his teammate was "blocking" him??? :) )

Robinho
20th June 2007, 12:38
Hamilton "gave Alonso the racing line and every opportunity to attempt to out brake him.

if it was actual blocking Alsono would never have got alongside Hamilton, he would have had to take avoiding actions to miss the car and slowed down to avoid contact.

Hamilton moved to make it difficult to keep in the tow, and also to take the inside line into the coprner, Alonso didn't have to follow him over to the other side of the track, but wanted to stay in the tow.

the funnel effect of the 1st corner meant they were moving into a tighter space, if LAonso had braked later he might have taken the place, but he probably would not have been able to take the corner.

i have not seen one comment from Alonso saying that he thought the move unfair, nor from any F1 journo's, commenttators, ex drivers, team managers etc.

defnsive driving and blocking are 2 distinct things - i asked in another thread what you thought of Alonso's excellent defensive driving display at Imola against MS the other year, there were several times he did exactly the saem as hamilton and rightfully kept the lead, why is this different?

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 12:52
I think Alonso was much more aggresive in his defence of his position because he had a much slower car and he was defending over around 20 laps against SchM. One could suggest that some of Alonso's moves were blocking in that race, although I don't remember him swerving violently like some other guy used to. (SchM??)

Garry Walker
20th June 2007, 12:54
Hard racing, but totally fair - from both men.

We moan like mad when there's no action, yet the minute to brilliant drivers get within a few yards of each other we start looking to apportion blame :rolleyes:

The problem is that only ones attacking LH for that are angry Alonso fans. Alonso was supposed to easily beat Hamilton, yet now the 2 times lucky WDC is getting beaten by a rookie. That has angered the FA fans. Not that it bothers me :D

I like that move, it was good racing. Anyone complaining about that really needs to grow up.

Old derek needs to realize that by making those comments he made himself look like a retard. I really have troubles comprehending why anyone would complain about such racing? Does he want all drivers just to give up their place without any defence at all? Maybe we should ban overtaking during races in that case?

lmao...how is that not blocking. Hamilton comes off the turn onto the straight in the middle of the track...then swerves to the inside...and THEN pushes Alonso past the middle to the outside...hogging the whole damn track, which by the way is the only damn place on the track to pass!!! Cheap blocking by Lewis.

If you want cheap blocking and braketesting, look at this masterpiece by your hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjSFWc9jpFg&mode=related&search=

Hamilton gave Alonso more than enough room, it was Alonsos problem he didnt have the balls to try to outbrake his teammate.

Fernando would have won that race if he passed Lewis there... :( :( :D

MAX_THRUST
20th June 2007, 13:25
I didn't see any blocking, I saw LH cover the inside line, on a track like Indy into the first turn, its more than wide enough to over take if you have a better car or a better line off the last two turns and great speed down the straight. Blocking is if you swerve back and forward, in the CCWS its any move to defend your line, in F1 that was not blocking, that was defending your line. There have been far worse incidents of blocking in F1 this year I'm sure.

I'm no more a LH fan than an FA fan, but its great to see an under dog do well. Lewis did a great job and so did Alonso, the team performed to gain maximum points. JOB DONE!!!! We should be asking where is Ferrari these last few races????

wedge
20th June 2007, 15:04
LH's move was clean and tidy, not ruthless and dirty. LH could've squeezed FA into the concrete wall just like Senna did to Prost in Estoril in 1988 or Schumi forcing Hakkinen onto the grass in Spa 2000, but he didn't.

says a lot for the sate of F1 aero that a car (albeit identical one) that is faster at that point cannot get past a car on a 23 second straight which is about 15 cars wide! :rolleyes:

Well its still tough to overtake which Alonso said through out the post-race press conference.

There were other factors involved, not just aero. You have top class drivers when all it takes is a bad graining set of tyres, getting caught out in traffic, lose momentum and you will allow your team-mate to get sucked into the slipstream.

Can't wait for Hockenheim for more overtaking!

race aficionado
20th June 2007, 15:11
There were some side to side passes by other racers on other turns during the circuit.
interesting that only during that long straight the alleged faster car at that moment (FA) had the best chance to try to overtake LH.

555-04Q2
20th June 2007, 15:15
Hard racing, but totally fair - from both men. :up:

:up: :up: :up:

Flat.tyres
20th June 2007, 15:21
There were some side to side passes by other racers on other turns during the circuit.
interesting that only during that long straight the alleged faster car at that moment (FA) had the best chance to try to overtake LH.

you know what, that's something thats been on my mind a little.

lewis was a bit slow getting through the back markers but the (apparent) drive getting off the corner was very strange. For two identical cars to be battleing side by side is almost unheard of because of the disruption caused by aeros. Yet Freddie got this huge tow and pulled alongside???

now, if Lewis had tyre problems or some mech issue, I would understand but after the straight, he easily pulled out a gap again.

someone playing games?

wedge
20th June 2007, 15:38
As I said, they're both top class drivers and they both driving identical machinery and both probably were on the 19,000 RPM limit

truefan72
20th June 2007, 19:05
The problem is that only ones attacking LH for that are angry Alonso fans. Alonso was supposed to easily beat Hamilton, yet now the 2 times lucky WDC is getting beaten by a rookie. That has angered the FA fans. Not that it bothers me :D

I like that move, it was good racing. Anyone complaining about that really needs to grow up.

Old derek needs to realize that by making those comments he made himself look like a retard. I really have troubles comprehending why anyone would complain about such racing? Does he want all drivers just to give up their place without any defence at all? Maybe we should ban overtaking during races in that case?

If you want cheap blocking and braketesting, look at this masterpiece by your hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjSFWc9jpFg&mode=related&search=

Hamilton gave Alonso more than enough room, it was Alonsos problem he didnt have the balls to try to outbrake his teammate.

:( :( :D

Yes , I forgot about that, that incident was very dirty, nevermind, very dangerous. In today's F1 climate, he would have been blackflagged and received a one race ban for those actions.

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 22:50

Apparently, there was one great pass that we missed: ant on Rosberg. Ant thought it was for track position and not unlapping. :p :
Then when he got to bunsen, he got held up and had to let Rosberg pass or get a penalty. But that pass ant did on bunsen was priceless - and Martin caught that on the telly. I don't think bunsen appreciated being passed by a second hand Honda. :D

Racehound
20th June 2007, 23:57
OK, the discussion is already out there.

What's your call?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUKXwCLP0WY

i have to say i totally agree with Derek Daly that after Lewboy made his initial defensive move, THAT WAS WHERE HE SHOULD HAVE STAYED!!!!!....but no......as soon as he realized FA had the tow and was going around him, he starts drifting to the right, which according to the fia(sco`s) rules of the road is an infringement!!!!......if FA had gone all out for it and refused to yield in the interest of safety, then they could have touched and at that speed who knows what would have happened!!!!!......like i said in another post, if Ayrton was still here then his refusal to yield to ANYBODY would have already given Lewboy plenty tothink about, and he would not have been 7 times on the podium in 7 races!!!!!!!!!....Fernando is just not the type to risk any points in a championship campaign, he builds his points to make wdc`s over a WHOLE season, and now he has a teammate who is "living his dream" and enjoying all the attention, and in a car so closely matched for pace, that unless Fernando makes balls out overtaking attempts that risk taking them both out of the race , then he may only get the chances to pass in the pitstops!!!!!!!.....This is what Fernando has been unhappy about with RD.....he has asked for certain pit stop strategies to his liking, but RD has chosen to go with his own strategies during the races and these have made it difficult for FA to understand why rd is not listening to what Fernando wants!!!!!!!.....by keep bringing them in within 1 or 2 laps of each other all the time, it has created a situation whereby whoever qualifies nearest the front, gets first stop and the track positions are staying the same!!!!!......in indy at mid race Fernando was faster than Lewboy, so he shoulda got out of his way, not run him out towards the wall!!!!!....FA had the momentum to overtake, but was denied imo by Lewboy doing what competitors in DIFFERENT teams would do, but not your teammate!!!!! as this is a high speed sport with the risk of death, i do not believe that there should be any "blocking" of a faster car!!!!!! the teams are competing with each other to manufacture the fastest, most reliable and best handling cars they can produce, and if 1 make of car is faster than another make of car, that will show up by their relative performances on the track;....but to ask drivers to then have to risk their lives by banging into each other or push sombody else out of the way is a recipe for disaster!!!!!!!!!!!F1 must be a non-contact sport at every moment they are racing because of the inherent dangers of high speed, and after watching this "racecraft" by Lewboy, i tell ya i was screaming and swearing at the box like the devil!!!!!.....i do not agree with any so called blocking moves, as you never know what the other idiot is going to do at the most critical time.....(hmmm...plenty of ms moves spring to mind over the years!!!).....whoever is driving the fastest car on the track, should in the interest of safety be given right of way to avoid any dangerous situation both to the drivers and spectators!!!!!!!!!!!!....but lets not forget that we have mad max and the toxic toyboy to thank for what f1 has become, and if anybody does get killed or seriously injured, it wont affect them!!!!!!!!!!.........money,money money,must be funny, in a rich mans world..... :(

Valve Bounce
21st June 2007, 00:10
Funny you should say that! Were you screaming at the telly when Fernando was blocking SchM last year? That telly must be quite traumatised from all your screaming at him/her/it. :eek:

race aficionado
21st June 2007, 00:18
Interesting call Racehound.
So are the totally opposite opinions about the same event a different interpretation of the rules - or better yet,- the manifestation of strong opposing "spirit of the sport" interpretations when it comes to defending and not blatantly chopping or blocking?
or the tendency towards opting for safety rather than pushing the envelope where it could go too far . . . .

or common sense???? ahh... but then . . . who's sense? :p :

wmcot
21st June 2007, 06:40
.like i said in another post, if Ayrton was still here then his refusal to yield to ANYBODY would have already given Lewboy plenty tothink about, and he would not have been 7 times on the podium in 7 races!!!!!!!!!

So you don't think Senna ever did any of the same sort of "blocking" during his career? He might have just driven straight into Hamilton...

ArrowsFA1
21st June 2007, 08:15
...as soon as he realized FA had the tow and was going around him, he starts drifting to the right, which according to the fia's rules of the road is an infringement!!!!......
Not so sure about that. Yes, there's the 'one move' rule which Hamilton made to cover the inside, but I read a comment from LH saying that drivers are then allowed to position their car in order to take the corner. Now some may interpret this as a 'second move', but given LH's level of preparation (I've also read that he knows the rule book better than most!) I suspect he knew exactly that what he was doing was within what is permitted. The fact that there was no complaint from Alonso, or an investigation by the stewards, suggests that Hamilton was absolutely correct in what he did.

It was simply good clean racing between the McLaren drivers, something we should enjoy not criticise. After all, don't we want these guys to race?

ioan
21st June 2007, 09:53
It was simply good clean racing between the McLaren drivers, something we should enjoy not criticise. After all, don't we want these guys to race?

You all know that I don't really like McLaren (although I cheered for JPM a few times in the past) but I can't say that any of them did something wrong there.
Good racing was all that happened there.

Valve Bounce
21st June 2007, 10:23
ioan, I'd like to recruit you to be a fan of the Super Aguri team, the guys racing those second hand Hondas. What do you think??

ioan
21st June 2007, 10:39
ioan, I'd like to recruit you to be a fan of the Super Aguri team, the guys racing those second hand Hondas. What do you think??

It already happened a long time ago.
I've supported Sato since his F1 debut and didn't give up on him even when he punted MS at Spa in 2005.
I hope that one day Davidson will prove he is up there too, it's nice to see a small team scoring points and beating the big boys in F1.

Garry Walker
21st June 2007, 12:17

Most of us do, but there are always a few crybabies. I really fail to see any problem with what LH did, Im quite amazed and shocked anyone could see anything wrong with it at all

Mr Kurtz
21st June 2007, 13:13
Well, I'm quite surprised that anyone would see anything wrong in this. But since there is one guy... The situation here reminded me of the pass of MS on Raikk last year in Brazil. He got the tow, Raikkonen went to the inside, MS tried for the outside and failed. He had to try three times before he got by him. IMO also great and clean racing. For those who have forgotten, here's the clip where MS manages to take Raikk by going even closer to the wall on his 3rd attempt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FdBEIbD0oA

...and if Alonso was having the faster car, he could surely have tried again making sure that LH couldn't block him by moving to the inside.

Oh, and Racehound, I think "..in indy at mid race Fernando was faster than Lewboy, so he shoulda got out of his way, not run him out towards the wall!!!!!...." that this is a VERY weird comment. So I guess Massa should have left Raikkonen through too? Teammates cannot race each other? OMG! If you perhaps were one of those shouters if MS and RB didn't race each other, than the irony would be complete :rolleyes: Just be happy that there is still some racing out there and enjoy, even if it's your favorite driver that doesn't win because he fails to overtake. I know it can be frustrating, but that's sport, no?

Racehound
21st June 2007, 17:32

i wouldnt expect any understanding of the situation coming form someone named after probably 1 of the stupidest sections of track in gp history........how many big crashes have we seen at Tamburello over the years?....and they STILL didnt put a row of tyres there by May 1 1994!!!!

tintop
21st June 2007, 18:11
LH made 1 move to the corner after trackout. It was a long constant SINGLE move to the outside. Had he veered to the inside once he had committed to the outside move it would have constituted blocking.

What surprised me more was that FA didn't attempt it again in the next few laps, it looked like he backed off for some reason.

Big Ben
21st June 2007, 20:03
Alonso was faster because he robbed the vacuum space behind Hamilton. Alonso tha robba!

This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard so far.. :laugh: Perhaps he should have used another track to try to pass :laugh:

BTW... great racing... I really enjoyed it even if i wanted Alonso to pass....

VkmSpouge
21st June 2007, 20:35
LH made 1 move to the corner after trackout. It was a long constant SINGLE move to the outside. Had he veered to the inside once he had committed to the outside move it would have constituted blocking.

What surprised me more was that FA didn't attempt it again in the next few laps, it looked like he backed off for some reason.

I don't think Alonso backed off during the following laps more like he couldn't stay as close to the back of Hamilton through the infield part of the track as he would lose a lot of downforce through the corners.

tintop
21st June 2007, 21:22
I don't think Alonso backed off during the following laps more like he couldn't stay as close to the back of Hamilton through the infield part of the track as he would lose a lot of downforce through the corners.

He must have been able to keep relatively close to LH during the infield session of the lap in question or he wouldn't have been able to get a run on him - not sure what changed in the succeeding laps.

Wilderness
21st June 2007, 22:44
On lap 37, they lapped Wurz and Button, that might have have some to do with it.

tintop
22nd June 2007, 00:50
On lap 37, they lapped Wurz and Button, that might have have some to do with it.

Presumably, FA caught up with LH in prior laps to make lap 37 a meaningful passing lap - looking at that UTube footage again, they came close to touching wheels in T1, there might have been some team chatter after that.

Valve Bounce
22nd June 2007, 01:28
i wouldnt expect any understanding of the situation coming form someone named after probably 1 of the stupidest sections of track in gp history........how many big crashes have we seen at Tamburello over the years?....and they STILL didnt put a row of tyres there by May 1 1994!!!!

Let's not be silly about names - being named after a dog doesn't make you any smarter does it?

ShiftingGears
22nd June 2007, 07:02

If you think corners that are a genuine challenge like Tamburello are stupid, then thats your loss. I think arguing your point based on anothers name is more stupid.

On topic, I think what he did was fair. Unfortunately Alonso didn't get another go at him, but thats racing.

OmarF1
22nd June 2007, 22:34
one single overtaking move is making a 3 page thread on a forum, god we are really thirsty of overtaking, thanks again Max.

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2007, 03:24
He must have been able to keep relatively close to LH during the infield session of the lap in question or he wouldn't have been able to get a run on him - not sure what changed in the succeeding laps.

I think Fernando was able to get a great tow down the long straight and this gave him the extra speed, but once he pulled out of the slipstream, the speed differential was reduced significantly. He just couldn't make the pass stick. He also mentioned that elsewhere, following Lewis affected the downforce and handling of his car - I am supposing this was through the infield, and this also affects the tyres.

tintop
23rd June 2007, 04:19
I think Fernando was able to get a great tow down the long straight and this gave him the extra speed, but once he pulled out of the slipstream, the speed differential was reduced significantly. He just couldn't make the pass stick. He also mentioned that elsewhere, following Lewis affected the downforce and handling of his car - I am supposing this was through the infield, and this also affects the tyres.

Yes, but he had to be in the position to be towed in the first place - which implies that he was keeping close to him in the infield in the preceding lap.

He really looked like he backed-off after the attempt.. just wondering why - perhaps LH had a really bad lap prior, dunno

Valve Bounce
23rd June 2007, 04:24
Yes, but he had to be in the position to be towed in the first place - which implies that he was keeping close to him in the infield in the preceding lap.

He really looked like he backed-off after the attempt.. just wondering why - perhaps LH had a really bad lap prior, dunno

I am only guessing now, but I think that Alonso was on the softer tyres at the time, and he could go faster through the infield for a very limited time before the tyres started to grain from the lack of front downforce while following Lewis closely. I gathered this was what he was talking about afterwards.

mstillhere
23rd June 2007, 04:26
As LH said, both of them are there to race and win. They'll play any trick in the bag. Any other different view is irrelevant.

tintop
23rd June 2007, 05:03
I am only guessing now, but I think that Alonso was on the softer tyres at the time, and he could go faster through the infield for a very limited time before the tyres started to grain from the lack of front downforce while following Lewis closely. I gathered this was what he was talking about afterwards.

Didn't hear the post-race stuff, but that makes a lot of sense.

Robinho
23rd June 2007, 13:42
they were on the same tyres, but Lewis's were suffering graining at the time, after that they cleared up a bit and he was able to run at a slightly better pace. the reason Alonso got so close was the traffic they had encountered over the previous few laps

Roamy
23rd June 2007, 13:54
Well the problem with making bull**** moves on the high speed straight is that sooner or later someone is going to go airborne. Blocking into a corner is very acceptable in racing. Swerving on the straight is even ok as long as it someone gradual. Herking the car into the side of someone is very unacceptable. Had that been JV instead of FA then LH may have cartwheeled out of there. MS got away with a lot of BS after MH retired and JV what stuck in a **** car. Those two would challenge any chicken sh!t move. However the bright side this was no where near as bad as MS and Senna on prost years ago. I would imagine the team will have a little pep talk and move on.

ozrevhead
23rd June 2007, 14:15
It was great racing TBH

although I can understand why the driver that came out second (alonso in this case) would be annoyed at the time - sheer frustration and nothing more

Racehound
23rd June 2007, 21:05
Not so sure about that. Yes, there's the 'one move' rule which Hamilton made to cover the inside, but I read a comment from LH saying that drivers are then allowed to position their car in order to take the corner. Now some may interpret this as a 'second move', but given LH's level of preparation (I've also read that he knows the rule book better than most!) I suspect he knew exactly that what he was doing was within what is permitted. The fact that there was no complaint from Alonso, or an investigation by the stewards, suggests that Hamilton was absolutely correct in what he did.

now thats so well put i couldnt disagree :)