PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

Kevincal
18th June 2007, 23:31
That doesn't really like Lewis Hamilton? He's way too arrogant/cocky for my tastes. I highly prefer the mostly humble champion that is Alonso. As far as driving skill, I call it even. Alonso had one fluke race is all. Plus, Alonso won 2 WDC's racing against the greatest of all, Michael Schumacher... OHH but I guess everyone already forgot about THAT... :/

Ian McC
18th June 2007, 23:58
Arrogant? I don't think so, confident, composed and mature beyond his years without a doubt, is it becuase he is beating Alonso that you don't like him?

And Schumacher? The comparisons are going to start soon so we might as well get the ball rolling now......... :s mokin:

EagleEye
19th June 2007, 00:02
That doesn't really like Lewis Hamilton? He's way too arrogant/cocky for my tastes. I highly prefer the mostly humble champion that is Alonso. As far as driving skill, I call it even. Alonso had one fluke race is all. Plus, Alonso won 2 WDC's racing against the greatest of all, Michael Schumacher... OHH but I guess everyone already forgot about THAT... :/

Hamilton>Alonso>Schumacher

Using your logic any way.

I found Lewis to be quite an engaging fellow in Indianapolis. He has more charisma than Alonso.

I'm not sure what you mean about Alonso having "one fluke race" when Lewis handed it to him pretty good over the last two races.

Alonso is a great driver, but Hamilton is a phenom.

Shak
19th June 2007, 00:41
Hamilton is no "phenom". He's a talented driver in the best car on the grid. I admit he's done well so far, better than I had expected, but it'll take more than seven races to convince me he's anywhere near as good as Alonso not to mention Schumacher. Don't forget, Alonso is still very new to the McLaren team and I think he has yet to settle in properly, kind of similar to the Kimi situation at Ferrari. And, yes I agree Kevincal, I do think Hamilton is too cocky and someday, that will probably be his downfall.

ChickenMcNugget
19th June 2007, 00:53
We'll see.

So far, he's had every reason to be "cocky", and obviously the next natural question for us to be asking of him anyway, having proved his winning credentials, would be how much psychological reserve he has, immediately after that inevitable first occasion where he can only muster an error-ridden fourth or fifth place, or something.

So, again, we'll see.

jso1985
19th June 2007, 01:19
a bit cocky and arrogant, Schumacher style, IMO.

Can't deny he's talented, yet to see if he's among the greatest, but don't like him, I surely won't support him if he leaves McLaren

Valve Bounce
19th June 2007, 01:38
If you put a rookie, any rookie into an F1 car, even the best car there is, and pit him against the current World Champion, as well as Kimi and Massa in rampant Ferraris, who would expect the rookie to be on the podium in his first three races?
Lewis Hamilton has exceeded all my expectations, and I find him just as exciting now as when Jacques and JPM first enterred F1. He is a breath of fresh air to the competition.
I don't read the British media so I am not affected by the media hype, and all I can appreciate is what I see on the race track - quite impressive. Then there are the podiums, let's not forget.

Kevincal
19th June 2007, 02:39
Hamilton is no "phenom". He's a talented driver in the best car on the grid. I admit he's done well so far, better than I had expected, but it'll take more than seven races to convince me he's anywhere near as good as Alonso not to mention Schumacher. Don't forget, Alonso is still very new to the McLaren team and I think he has yet to settle in properly, kind of similar to the Kimi situation at Ferrari. And, yes I agree Kevincal, I do think Hamilton is too cocky and someday, that will probably be his downfall.

:) Glad I'm not the only one...lol

Valve Bounce
19th June 2007, 02:44
:) Glad I'm not the only one...lol

Would you agree to reconsider your position if Hamilton won the French GP?
Personally, I don't think Lewis is arrogant enough, and he must establish his pecking order in a very competitive front end of the grid. So far, he hasn't done that bad a job.

Then I suppose if Lewis was American, you might think differently if the American press raved over his exploits.
If Lewis was an Aussi, then many of us here would be over the moon, regardless of how much the press here rave about him. :)

Kevincal
19th June 2007, 02:49
I admit that I have been an Alonso fan for about 4 years now, and part of my distaste towards Hamilton is because of the crap Hamilton lovers are saying about Alonso lately... And Hamilton seems to be the biggest lover, of anyone, of himself... The way Lewis blatantly blocked Alonso on the straight showed me his true character... I just hope Alonso shuts up all you critics sooner rather than later! :D And if Lewis doesn't make a mistake real soon...I think he should be examined to make sure he is not a robot! ;)

Kevincal
19th June 2007, 02:52
Would you agree to reconsider your position if Hamilton won the French GP?
Personally, I don't think Lewis is arrogant enough, and he must establish his pecking order in a very competitive front end of the grid. So far, he hasn't done that bad a job.

Then I suppose if Lewis was American, you might think differently if the American press raved over his exploits.
If Lewis was an Aussi, then many of us here would be over the moon, regardless of how much the press here rave about him. :)

I am judging Lewis by his character I've seen on tv, and the way he drives his racecar. Nothing to do with nationality. I have been an Alonso fan for 4 years...And I've never liked Scott Speed much, who grew up in practically the same area I have my whole life. Speed just seems so fake whenever he's interviewed... Like he's not genuine...I dunno. And Hamilton I think would marry himself if he could! LOL

truefan72
19th June 2007, 03:04
I admit that I have been an Alonso fan for about 4 years now, and part of my distaste towards Hamilton is because of the crap Hamilton lovers are saying about Alonso lately... And Hamilton seems to be the biggest lover, of anyone, of himself... The way Lewis blatantly blocked Alonso on the straight showed me his true character... I just hope Alonso shuts up all you critics sooner rather than later! :D And if Lewis doesn't make a mistake real soon...I think he should be examined to make sure he is not a robot! ;)

rubbish, you are an Alonso fan first and foremost and trying to lay all of Alonso's bad traits on LH.

It is not LH who calls out his crew both at MCC and Renault
It is not LH who gesticulates to other drvers around if he can't pass
it is not LH who bumps others in practice, testing and quali's when he's annoyed
It is not LH who constantly displays an air of arrogance
it is not LH who can never see fault in his performance but sees fit to lay blame on others
It is definately not LH who blocked Alonso in Indy but drove hard to maintain his line, If you think of blocking, I can name you a half dozen incidents of alonso super aggresively trying to keep others behind

Your comments are simply venting on your frustration of Alonso not winning or dominating. I guess if the results were reversed, you would be lauding Hamilton as a tough solid driver, doing a bang up job protectiong Alonso.

Just becuase people talk up LH ( and justifiably so) doesn't mean you have to hate him. The only thing he has done to date is podium every race and win 2 out of the first 7 Along the way outduelling his teammate. A great start by any driver regardless of Rookie or seasoned pro.

you simply see what you want to see, and that's your right to do so. But like my sig says...

ykiki
19th June 2007, 03:58
Blocking or defending his line? This is how I look at it. Did Alonso make a move to the inside and then get "chopped off" by Hamilton (a la M. Schumacher)? That would be blocking.

However, the way I saw it was two cars heading down the straightaway, where Hamilton moved to the inside in anticipation of what Alonso might do. It looked like two cars in synch with Alonso following in the slipstream of Hamilton to the inside line. In a position like that, the only way for Alonso to get around would've been on the outside.

To me, that looked like good anticipation on Hamilton's part to protect the inside line and not blocking.

Hawkmoon
19th June 2007, 04:20
Hamilton is arrogant. Most successful sports people are. It's only the degree of arrogance that that differs. Hamilton has a long way to go before he reaches the level of arrogance displayed by Senna who, don't forget, punched Irvine for having the temerity to unlap himself.

The comment Hamilton made about backmarkers being monkeys did not go down well no matter what context it was said in. It's alright for Hamilton, he's got the best bit of kit on the grid to play with. The Spyker, Torro Rosso and Honda drivers aren't so lucky.

So, no, I don't like Hamilton. I like Alonso even less because he has a petulance that goes with his arrogance. In fact, I don't like anybody who drives a McLaren. ;)

I think Ol' Ron should keep an eye on his young protege and make sure his rapid success doesn't inflate his head too much.

Valve Bounce
19th June 2007, 04:24
I am judging Lewis by his character I've seen on tv, and the way he drives his racecar. Nothing to do with nationality. I have been an Alonso fan for 4 years...And I've never liked Scott Speed much, who grew up in practically the same area I have my whole life. Speed just seems so fake whenever he's interviewed... Like he's not genuine...I dunno. And Hamilton I think would marry himself if he could! LOL

Well, I have admired Fernando evr since he qualified that Minardi at Albert Park, and it has nothing to do with the fact that my grandmother was Spanish.

However, to judge someone's character by what one sees so fleetingly in the Telly seems to me to be a shallow form of judgement; and there was nothing wrong with his driving - he was merely protecting his lead and he did not swerve or chop like another former champion which was mentioned above in another post.

So, to answer your question, "No! it's not only you - there are several other ill informed individuals here who agree with you."

mstillhere
19th June 2007, 04:26

I actually don't mind the guy. What I don't like is all the media crazyness that's turning me off against the guy. It's not his fault but allthis publicity is getting on my nerves.
PS Could it be jalousy?

Valve Bounce
19th June 2007, 04:29
I actually don't mind the guy. What I don't like is all the media crazyness that's turning me off against the guy. It's not his fault but allthis publicity is getting on my nerves.
PS Could it be jalousy?

Wish he was an Aussi, one that barracked for Essendon. :(

akv89
19th June 2007, 05:52
Well, I have admired Fernando evr since he qualified that Minardi at Albert Park, and it has nothing to do with the fact that my grandmother was Spanish.

However, to judge someone's character by what one sees so fleetingly in the Telly seems to me to be a shallow form of judgement; and there was nothing wrong with his driving - he was merely protecting his lead and he did not swerve or chop like another former champion which was mentioned above in another post.

So, to answer your question, "No! it's not only you - there are several other ill informed individuals here who agree with you."

:up: A lot of times what comes out in the media is only a person's bad side (Well in Hamilton's case he also seems to be getting a lot of good media too, but that doesn't seem to be helping him out that much either, as seen in this thread). You have to respect Hamilton's passion for racing and his dedication to his brother as well if you want to judge him by some of his comments.

Kevincal
19th June 2007, 07:11
I just wish LH was a bit more humble is all. He just acts like he's the greatest thing, which may become true ONE DAY...My point is, that day is still far off... It should be interesting to see where everyone stands in a couple of years. :)

Ranger
19th June 2007, 07:17
I'd think I was the hottest **** since sliced bread if I jumped into an F1 car and was leading the title in my rookie season against a WDC in the same car. But the thing that gets me most is the insufferable extent to which the British media paint Hamilton as a god, after only 7 races.

Ian McC
19th June 2007, 07:49

:up:

Nicely put Valve :)

Cart750hp
19th June 2007, 07:49

I am not trying to change the topic here but.....why people are concerned about Lewis' attitude? If he's an arrogant that you claimed don't you think that is his own problem? And not liking him because of his attitude makes you a broad minded person, sorry to be frank. My point is that fans tend to get into the personal side of the drivers instead of watching their results and performance on each weekends. Let them talk crap at each other, dress a like a drag, pick up on boys, go naked on magazines, etc. but that is their personal characteristics. It has nothing to do with their professional life as a driver, a race car driver. On top of that, this guy is kicking Alonso's butt as the season goes on.

If you would've claimed, "I don't like Lewis just because he is kicking Alonzo's butt" then that would be more about the racing more than their personal life.

Or I could be wrong.

Kevincal
19th June 2007, 07:58
I'd think I was the hottest **** since sliced bread if I jumped into an F1 car and was leading the title in my rookie season against a WDC in the same car. But the thing that gets me most is the insufferable extent to which the British media paint Hamilton as a god, after only 7 races.

It's nearly the whole world now...painting him as a god after 7 races... This is really my point...after 7 races, people are calling Alonso garbage and Hamilton god and really...it's ridiculous.

wmcot
19th June 2007, 07:59
I think one of the best descriptions I've seen of any F1 driver was given by a sports psychologist in one of Jeremy Clarkson's "Speed" episodes. He stated that any successful F1 driver has to be a sort of social misfit and without a usual sense of "guilt". That pretty well describes most of the F1 WDC's I've seen. They all have one sort of character flaw or another. Perhaps the most "normal" WDC I can think of is Mika Hakkinen and even he had his quirks (just not so many or so obvious.)

So to answer the original question, yes, there are quite a number of F1 fans who don't like Hamilton, just as there are those who don't/didn't like Alonso, Schumacher, Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen, Senna, Prost, Mansell...mostly because they see the "flawed" part of the driver rather than his skill. I admit that I have my own prejudices against certain drivers for exactly those reasons.

Kevincal
19th June 2007, 08:03
I am not trying to change the topic here but.....why people are concerned about Lewis' attitude? If he's an arrogant that you claimed don't you think that is his own problem? And not liking him because of his attitude makes you a broad minded person, sorry to be frank. My point is that fans tend to get into the personal side of the drivers instead of watching their results and performance on each weekends. Let them talk crap at each other, dress a like a drag, pick up on boys, go naked on magazines, etc. but that is their personal characteristics. It has nothing to do with their professional life as a driver, a race car driver. On top of that, this guy is kicking Alonso's butt as the season goes on.

If you would've claimed, "I don't like Lewis just because he is kicking Alonzo's butt" then that would be more about the racing more than their personal life.

Or I could be wrong.

But see...he's not "kicking his butt"...he's BARELY BEATING HIM!!! That's another annoying thing I've been seeing everywhere. People are blowing this thing way out of proportion. Alonso was quickest the whole weekend except for a few small tenths in qualy...and in the race he caught LH and would have passed him if not for blocking...And Alonso would have probably pulled away after that and won...

Storm
19th June 2007, 08:07
I don't especially like the guy (yet), for sure he is turning out to be a cool and very good race driver...but neither have I seen much in him to dislike (apart from the Brit hype - mostly justified till now).
Much better than having to hear about Button, Coulthard and Ant.

ArrowsFA1
19th June 2007, 08:34
It's nearly the whole world now...painting him as a god after 7 races... This is really my point...after 7 races, people are calling Alonso garbage and Hamilton god and really...it's ridiculous.
I'm not so sure that's true. In the first couple of races, yes, there was the thought that 'how the hell could a rookie beat a 2xWDC, perhaps Alonso isn't as good as we thought.'

Now there's a growing realisation that Alonso is still a great champion, but Hamilton really is exceptional. I think Fernando is even beginning to recognise that, and will probably be stronger in the coming races as a result.

tacksharp
19th June 2007, 08:59
I think one of the best descriptions I've seen of any F1 driver was given by a sports psychologist in one of Jeremy Clarkson's "Speed" episodes. He stated that any successful F1 driver has to be a sort of social misfit and without a usual sense of "guilt"

Back when Jacques Villeneuve was in CART, there was a race on the short oval in Phoenix, and two cars were spun out on the track. Jacques failed to see the yellow flags and came around a curve at high speed and cut Hiro Matsu$hita's car in half when Jacques's nose hit the spot where the tub meets the engine. If he had hit Hiro's car a little further forward, Hiro would have been dead for sure, but he ended up with just an injured shoulder. When Jacques was interviewed, he just complained how the yellow flags (or maybe it was yellow lights) were impossible to see. Not once did he express concern about Hiro's condition. At that moment I thought to my self, "this dude is cold enough to be a champion." Seriously, that's when I thought he was ruthless enough to make it to the top. I never really liked him after that.

So to answer the original question, yes, there are quite a number of F1 fans who don't like Hamilton, just as there are those who don't/didn't like Alonso, Schumacher, Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen, Senna, Prost, Mansell...mostly because they see the "flawed" part of the driver rather than his skill. I admit that I have my own prejudices against certain drivers for exactly those reasons.

Very thoughtful and self-aware. We all choose which incidents and perceived character flaws to amplify or minimize in our minds to help justify our dislike or admiration for certain drivers. When Schumacher took out Hill at Adelaide in 1994, I knew he was no good. There was some doubt, but when he tried to take out Jacques at Jerez in 1997 it just confirmed what I thought about 1994.

Funny how some people think 7 races, 7 podiums, 2 wins is too early to judge Hamilton's greatness as a driver, but is plenty of time to judge his sportsmanship and character because of one perceived blatant block.

Valve Bounce
19th June 2007, 10:11

OK, I've watched the post race celebrations and the post race conference. I failed to see where there was any arrogance. Perhaps you would like to tell us which two words you objected to.

It is also interesting that you should mention SchM in your lead post - "the greatest of all". Well, I don't remember Lewis Hamilton running anyone into a concrete wall, ramming another driver so he could win a race and then lieing about it afterwards, running another driver (his own brother) towards a pitwall, swerving all over the track to stop anyone from passing (hey!! You want to talk about blocking?), and asking his team to tell the team mate ahead to pull over so he could win a race, and finally stopping across the track so the guys behind couldn't post a better time at quals? Did I miss something here?

Perhaps you'd like to focus on who the arrogant driver really was.

"... OHH but I guess everyone already forgot about THAT..."

raikk
19th June 2007, 10:22
I just wish LH was a bit more humble is all. He just acts like he's the greatest thing, which may become true ONE DAY...My point is, that day is still far off... It should be interesting to see where everyone stands in a couple of years. :)

''Humble''

Hugley Humble Hamilton by F1 RACING mag -June 2007
''At the Malaysian Grandprix I spotted Hamilton coming into our hotel so I asked if he'd sign the flag I made.''Where did you get this, with my name written on it?'' He said. ''Ive never has an F1 flag before!'' He spelt my name wrong but I didn't mind. In the bar about 45 mins later I got a tap on the shoulder. It was Lewis, asking to take some pictures of me, him and the flag. He said sorry for spelling my name wrong but said he was just overwhelmed that someone has made a Lewis flag. H sat down and re-signed it ''To Apple (my nickname) ,thanks for the first Official Lewis Hamilton flag.'' For the rest of the weekend whenever he came out of the pits he looked up at the flag opposite and gave us all a big wave. He's the most humble driver Ive ever met and I look forward to seeing him and his wondeful father again at Monza and Spa.''
If your still not convinced they show a picture of Hamilton with the lady that made his flag, signing it..

good day.

OTA
19th June 2007, 11:20
I did not like and still hate it when people diminish FA achievements through cheap and uninformed comments about his personality, and I hate it as well with LH.

He's been so far an outstanding F1 driver and that's pretty much all I care about him. And of course he deserves the hype.

Cheers
David

Robinho
19th June 2007, 13:13
is he that arrogant? i don't think so, certainly no more than anyone else on the F1 grid, and these guys are there partly due to their ego's, they need to belive they are the best otherwise they might as well not bother.

but he also seems very down to earth, he, so far, has kept saying how stunned he is to be doing so well, how lucky he feels, how grateful his is for the chance and for the hard work his dad put in to get him racing.

i also like his honesty, he doesn't (yet) seem to have developed a need to avoid answering questions or worrying about saying the wrong thing, which he will do, but thats quite refreshing.

in that way i think he's actually very similar to alonso, who has been quite gracious since Indy, saying how he admits he has been surprised by LH's pace, but that he feels he can beat him over the season. credit to him for that, no sour grapes, just ambition

as for the "blocking" incident, that was a classic case of covering the inside line, he didn't make Alonso have to slow down, just go the long way round, like several other drivers did over the course of the race. it was a perfeclty legitimate defensive move, which Alonso was obviously upset about, but only as he wants to win - do you remember Imola the other year where he very skillfully kept a much faster MS behind him for about 20laps without "blocking" but covering the lines - would you credit that as a superb display of defensive driving, or outright blocking? to me there is no difference to what LH did on sunday, except he didn't have to do it lap after lap, just the once, to defend a well earned lead.

i agree that some people are jumping on Alonso and unfairly criticising him, but i think you will find that rather than these being big Lewis fans they are more likely looking for a chance to denigrate Alonso and are using the fact that he is currently behind the rookie to take their chance. don't let that tar your view of the driver, for me i think they are the best pairing out there and i am super impressed with LH so far and think great things await him, and i have for several years, but i've also rooted for Alonso for the last couple - the 2 are not mutually exclusive.

enjoy the rest of the season, its shaping up to be a great battle :)

ps. i am very much avoiding the sports press at the moment, apart from the specialist Motorsport publications, so am not too bothered by the pro-lewis stuff in the british papers, they never covered anything before so why start reading it now they think they've got a bog story - and it is a bg story, i don't blame the press for latching on to him, it is a massive aceivement so far, i hope they don't drop him as quickly as they have built him up

555-04Q2
19th June 2007, 13:16
Apparantly LH called the backmarkers at the Canadian GP a bunch of monkeys. At least that is what Martin Brundle said during the commentary at the USGP. Anyone got confirmation :?:

Robinho
19th June 2007, 13:21
no, at Monaco i think he was talking to Martin Brundle and referred to getting mixed up with the "monkeys at the back"

no the brightest thing to say when you are racing with these guys, but i think it was at worst a bad joke, i don't think (hope) that he was trying to put them down or there was malice intended. thats what i like about him, he might say some stupid things over the years, but i hope he isn't afraid of saying things - at the moment he seems very open, meybe once the press start twisting things he will have to be more careful - at the moment he is their darling so he will be ok

Martin used it in the USGP commentary when wondering if they would get out of the way when he was lapping the "monkeys"

Ranger
19th June 2007, 13:29
Apparantly LH called the backmarkers at the Canadian GP a bunch of monkeys. At least that is what Martin Brundle said during the commentary at the USGP. Anyone got confirmation :?:

Yeah, he did during the Monaco GP. If he was in MotoGP that would have been fine to say but in F1 politics and image is more important than racing most of the time, and so it seemed quite arrogant coming from someone who is very young and very, very fortunate to be in a position to win in his first season, as opposed to guys like Alonso, Kimi, Felipe, and basically any other race winning driver on the grid today who had to work their way up the food chain.

Flat.tyres
19th June 2007, 13:42
OTA, robhino, arrows and others are spot on here.

lewis is a talented and competent rookie that is showing skill and maturity well beyond his 22 years. i have never seem him arrogant or cocky but confident, amazed and cheeky at times.

Alonso is a superb driver, a 2X champion that wrenched Schumachers crown from him. the king is dead, long live the king. Anyone that fails to appreciate just how good a driver Alonso is has no real understanding of the sport. He is a superb driver and feroucious battler as he showed by holding MS behind him lap after lap a couple of years ago.

as for the "block"????? he moved to the inside line and defended his corner. superbly. good driving.

McLaren have a glut of talent at the moment. a 2X WDC and a rookie that appears to be something we haven't seen for a long time, if ever. if you dont like the boy, then fine, but both drivers are giving us a master class of entertainment this year.

Valve Bounce
19th June 2007, 14:02
Alonso is a superb driver, a 2X champion that wrenched Schumachers crown from him. the king is dead, long live the king. Anyone that fails to appreciate just how good a driver Alonso is has no real understanding of the sport. He is a superb driver and feroucious battler as he showed by holding MS behind him lap after lap a couple of years ago.

Do you remember that Alonso managed to qualify the Minardi (when there was a that 5% rule) just after Stoddart bought ht eteam; no testing whatsoever, just a few shakedown laps. And that Minardi was a treribly basic and underpowered car. That was when I realised that Alonso was going to be a great driver and I became a fan.

But this doesn't make it bad that some rookie should beat him by defending his line - it just means the rookie is a great driver too.

Roamy
19th June 2007, 14:18
pretty exciting team I would say. Alonso has a challenge just as Hill did. So I don't put personalities down in F1 even if I don't like them. Although I sure as hell put in my two cents. But Hamilton has seemed to handle things quite well and Alonso needs to raise his game just a touch if he is to win the WDC again.

You can be given the best car in F1 but you still have to drive it and drive it he has !!!!!

Flat.tyres
19th June 2007, 14:45
pretty exciting team I would say. Alonso has a challenge just as Hill did. So I don't put personalities down in F1 even if I don't like them. Although I sure as hell put in my two cents. But Hamilton has seemed to handle things quite well and Alonso needs to raise his game just a touch if he is to win the WDC again.

You can be given the best car in F1 but you still have to drive it and drive it he has !!!!!

spot on.

and just like hill had to raise his game against schumacher, Alonso will raise his game and come back hard against Lewis. cant wait.

OutRun
19th June 2007, 15:15
Maybe we would all prefer it if Hamilton hired a publicist to script safe answers to all his questions. He may be a rookie but he is driving the best car on the grid. He seems to be quite modest from what I have read.

Alonso has F1 experience but Hamilton probably has just as much race experience if not more. Alonso hasn't exactly been an overtaking machine for the last two seasons. An F1 champion usually leads from the front and does the majority of overtaking during pit stops.

Another factor is that both Alonso and Hamilton are adjusting to a new team.

clydekart
19th June 2007, 15:36
Fact-Put Hamilton in any other car and he is not going to win a race. He's no different than Villeneuve who won a few races his first year in F1. In fact with today's technology and advanced simulators-Hamilton has a distinct advantage because he more than likely spends hundreds of hours in a Mclaren simulator wheras Villeneuve had to learn the tracks on the current F1 computer game.
Also F1 bosses love a polarizing driver with some talent to bring in more suckers to watch races that are only going to be won by Ferrari or Mercedes.
Propaganda such as "he's the Tiger Woods of F1" has been put forward by F1-FIA.

Finally, when Ron Dennis says both drivers are treated equally is a blatant admission that Alonso is getting screwed.--When is the last time you saw a 2 time world champion and a rookie get equal status--That numer 1 on the car use to mean something.

F1MAN2007
19th June 2007, 17:11
Apart that the Kid (LH) may be a good racer but we should remember that :

He has a fastest car with reliability out there (the same car to Alonso)
He has been working with the team more than 13 years
He manipulates better the simulater off Mclaren than alonso (because he has been there more than 13 years)

At the end, Lewis is using the all Alonso's data (from the track and the car) to set up his car!! This was the case in Indy and it gave him advantage to Alonso.

I don't think that it would be the same case if he was the only reference in the team or sharing the data with a non best driver.

The proof is Ferrari team today. Not only suffering a poor performance, but they suffer a lot for missing Scumascher because he has been with the team more than 10 years and knew the car better and was good in setting the car.

For me I like the challenge, all is happening today between Lewis and Hamilton is an unbalanced battle, but what I see, is that Lewis and Alonso have a nice car to shine and at the end the looser will be McLaren allowing drivers to fight each other which may push out one or both during the race while racing or when one of them may be considering to swich for another team.

The credit goes to Alonso for supplying and sharing his best track data with the rockie who managed to take an advantage of them.

trumperZ06
19th June 2007, 17:31
Lewis Hamilton is... "Wicked Fast" which seems to have caught a lot of people off-guard.

Add to the raw speed... his racing ability ie. Racecraft and we see the results !!!

Currently, he's leading the points race to become this year's World Driving Champion !!!

;) From what I've seen, so far, Lewis races... "Hard but Fair"... and he has stood up to pressure from both Massa and Alonso !!!

After seven races... it's obvious... LH had earned the right to drive for McLaren... something that Ron knew... long before many of us.

:D Y'all should be enjoying his success... it's not often ( once ~ every 20 years or so) that we see a rookie come into any sport with this much talent.

Take the press clippings with a grain of salt and be thankful that the British rags are no longer telling us how Great Button is.

Shak
19th June 2007, 20:43
Fact-Put Hamilton in any other car and he is not going to win a race. He's no different than Villeneuve who won a few races his first year in F1. In fact with today's technology and advanced simulators-Hamilton has a distinct advantage because he more than likely spends hundreds of hours in a Mclaren simulator wheras Villeneuve had to learn the tracks on the current F1 computer game.
Also F1 bosses love a polarizing driver with some talent to bring in more suckers to watch races that are only going to be won by Ferrari or Mercedes.

Finally, when Ron Dennis says both drivers are treated equally is a blatant admission that Alonso is getting screwed.--When is the last time you saw a 2 time world champion and a rookie get equal status--That numer 1 on the car use to mean something.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

race aficionado
19th June 2007, 20:50
. . . .

I don't comprehend the sense of this point.

Yes, you are number 1 and it says so on your car and cap, they pay you better, you get first dibs at the food buffett . . . .

but it doesn't mean that your car should be FASTER than your number 2 team mate just because that would guarantee your #1 status.

equall cars, then you do the shinning.

It's interesting to hear about how MS stopped the sharing of telemetry because he was being beat. But as our man Valve would say:
Link please! :)

FA aint going away quietly and LH is shinning brightly.

nice combination

:s mokin:

F1MAN2007
19th June 2007, 21:28
.......It's interesting to hear about how MS stopped the sharing of telemetry because he was being beat....

This is the only solution to FA if he want to defend his title.

jarrambide
19th June 2007, 21:49

That applies to Alonso also, we can say that "Fact put Alonso in any other car and he is not going to win a race", except of course for Ferrari, you put Alonso or Hamilton in a Ferrari and they will have the chance to win a couple of races, but put Alonso or Hamilton in any other car and they will not win a single race, that is how F1 works, you need the combination of a great driver in a great car.

I just don't see the point of telling everyone that if Hamilton was driving for any other team he wouldn't get all those great results, he wouldn't be fighting for the championship, etc, etc, etc, duh, of course not, we all know that, but the praise for Hamilton is not because of his great speed in a McLaren, the praise is not for having a lot of points after 7 races in a McLaren, the praise is because his team mate is 2 time World Champion Fernando Alonso, we can't compare Lewis against many drivers in other teams, it would be unfair, but we can compare him to his team mate, no one, and I mean no one, expected Hamilton to be 10 points ahead of Alonso, no one had expected Hamilton qualifying better than Alonso so early in the season and in tracks he had never race before(I will take real experience over the simulator every time, driving in those tracks in a simulator and having race there for real a number of times is a huge difference), no one expected Hamilton to be racing in front of Alonso and defending his position so brilliantly.

Yes, the simulator helps, but come on, I don't care how great a simulator is, a simulator is not the real thing, this is the first year of lewis in F1, no matter how good the simulator is, Hamilton has never ever before been in an F1 car for a real race, Alonso has a lot of experience Hamilton does not have, that is why people are praising Hamilton, because with no real experience (a simulator comes close, but is not and will not be a substitute for driving the real deal in real races) and against a team mate with 2 championships he has not made real errors and is 10 points ahead.

And the part about polarizing a driver, bringing more suckers, propaganda, I couldn't care less, someone has a great signature "you can't argue with results", 7 podiums in 7 races, 10 points ahead of the closest driver, 10 points ahead of his team mate who has been probably the best driver of the last 2 years in his rookie year is something you can't argue with.

Will he be the champion this year?,I just don't know, we have a lot of races yet, is he the real deal?, a rookie doing all that (and again, is not about the speed, McLaren car is helping a lot, is about defeating his team mate who is a 2 time WC and is driving the same car) is the real deal, will he do a J. Villeneuve? I don't see the future, I just don't know, but so far everything points that he will not do a J. Villeneuve, but who knows, nothing is written, maybe he will only be a champion one time, or he will not be a champion either, or maybe he will win 2, 4, 6 or 7 times, I just don't know, we will all have to wait and see, heck, perhaps Alonso will not win a championship ever again, or he will win 4 more, we only have the REAL facts and the results, the REAL facts say the rookie has 10 more points and has 7 podiums in 7 races, you can't argue with that.

jonas_mcrae
19th June 2007, 22:30
I not sure about LH I kindda like him, but a part of me doesnt and I think this is because of the British media, making him a God. On the other hand, I know he is very very very good driver; however he has the best car, the best data and a lot of luck. I would really like to see him fighting for a place DURING the race, and maybe doing some overtaking because during this 7 races, Yes he has been very fast, Yes he has defended his place and Yes he has been on the podium and won. But when has he been comming from the back and fighting during the whole race?
I think that when I see him doind that I will start to like him.

Also for the guys that follow rally, this is starting to smell like a Loeb clone isnt it? LOL its going to be boring if it continues like this, belive me.

tacksharp
19th June 2007, 22:35
...Finally, when Ron Dennis says both drivers are treated equally is a blatant admission that Alonso is getting screwed.--When is the last time you saw a 2 time world champion and a rookie get equal status--That numer 1 on the car use to mean something.

McLaren is famous for (supposedly) treating their drivers equally at the beginning of the season. Only when a driver creates a significant points gap and it's getting towards the end of the season is the other driver expected to support the one fighting for the championship. I think Coulthard always had a fair shake at McLaren, and he was always a team player when it came time to support Hakkinen. While Coulthard and Barrichello were valued by McLaren and Ferrari, I think all the teams and drivers came to regard them as perennial #2 drivers.

If Hamilton maintains or increases his gap over Alonso, and there are 3 or 4 races left, will Alonso be the good teammate and support Hamilton's campaign? Yeah I know, we got a long long way to go, but I'd like to see this scenario. It will be a good test of Alonso's character and whether he realizes it's the team that pays his salary and he should be supporting the team goals. It seems to me he does a lot of Senna-like whining, and we saw how cooperative Senna and Prost were when they were McLaren teammates, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

EagleEye
19th June 2007, 23:01

I think your blind in your admiration of Alonso.

Hamilton just won two poles and two races, on tracks he had never raced at before. That alone would have been phonomanal for anyone. (And Alonso, who had raced there before, was also in the "best car" so save that tired arguement.)

In those same two races, Alsonso made mistakes. Almost taking them both out at the start in Canada, and a slight error in Indy. All the while, Hamilton drives on.

He is, according to those who have met him and been part of the sport for some time, and phenomal talent, and a great human being.

A quick look at the records he has already set this year, shows he has done more in his first seven races than those named Schumacher, Stewart, Senna, Clark, and others.

I did not find him to be cocky, but confidant, and completely in awe of the momment (Canada) when I met him. Despite his emergance as star, he was very well grounded.

F1MAN2007
19th June 2007, 23:23
......Hamilton just won two poles and two races, on tracks he had never raced at before. That alone would have been phonomanal for anyone. (And Alonso, who had raced there before, was also in the "best car" so save that tired arguement.)

In those same two races, Alsonso made mistakes. Almost taking them both out at the start in Canada, and a slight error in Indy. All the while, Hamilton drives on.

He won those 2 races using the data from Alonso car. Stop sharing data and see who is the real one.

Alonso made a mistakes trying to overtake him which is normal coz when you try to overtake you don't see properly ahead particuraly in the corners a lot of time you miss the correct line for braking. At least he managed to stay on the road and finish the race in the points.

Making the Kid the best driver than ever is ignorating MS who is the legend and Alonso beaten him 2 times which is enough to give credit to Alonso. Let the kid have some years and we shall see.

Kevincal
19th June 2007, 23:23
Let's just see where things stand at the end of the season. :) If Lewis wins, fine by me and congrats to him. Then he'll have 1 more WDC to win before I think he deserves any sort of "god" status that most of you have already crowned him... ;)

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 00:21
He won those 2 races using the data from Alonso car. .

LINK PLEASE!!

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 00:41
With all the hypothesizing on who would or would not do what in which car, I'd like to see the following:

1. Alonso and Hamilton driving the Factory Team Hondas
2. Bunsen and Rubens driving the Super Aguri cars
3. Sato and Davidson driving the McLarens
4. Kimi and Massa driving the Red Bulls
5. DC and Mark Webber driving the Ferraris.

Now that would be one helluva interesting season. :p :

Cart750hp
20th June 2007, 01:48
Let's just see where things stand at the end of the season. :) If Lewis wins, fine by me and congrats to him. Then he'll have 1 more WDC to win before I think he deserves any sort of "god" status that most of you have already crowned him... ;)

The better driver wins by the end of the season. And if Lewis wins, your opinion about Lewis' attitude will still blind you away from his performance. He's a very skilled and competitive driver, for sure and that's what counts, not his "cockiness" as some annoyed by it.

Mifune
20th June 2007, 02:19
hmm the dunces seem to be in confederacy.

Chaparral66
20th June 2007, 04:38
CLYDEKART: Fact-Put Hamilton in any other car and he is not going to win a race. He's no different than Villeneuve who won a few races his first year in F1. In fact with today's technology and advanced simulators-Hamilton has a distinct advantage because he more than likely spends hundreds of hours in a Mclaren simulator wheras Villeneuve had to learn the tracks on the current F1 computer game. Also F1 bosses love a polarizing driver with some talent to bring in more suckers to watch races that are only going to be won by Ferrari or Mercedes. Propaganda such as "he's the Tiger Woods of F1" has been put forward by F1-FIA.

Well, Hamilton is bit different. Villeneuve had a brilliant rookie season, winning 4 times and very nearly stealing the title right out from under teammate Damon Hill. But even he didn't have 7 podiums in his first 7 races, and nothing like the Hamilton statistic of never having finished below where he started in his first 6 races, winning two of them from pole. Does that mean the driver points race is over and he's a lock for the World Championship? Of course not. Alonso is still the reigning World Champion until somebody takes it from him. Ironic how the New Kid in F1 (Alonso) has to now deal with a New Kid of his own (Hamilton) and his teammate at that. But this chase is far from over, and Alonso's experience will play a hand in this sooner than later. That same thing almost came through for Michael Schumacher last year until his car let him down in Japan.

Hamilton cocky and arrogant? Who are you kidding? The Kid is in a no win situation right now with some in the the media and some fans, with his incredible talent taking him to Victory Lane twice in a row and atop the points; no matter what he says and how reserved he says it, some cynics will insist on taking potshots at him, because they just don't want to believe. I'm sure Senna went through the same thing when he started, as did Michael Schumacher, and Nelson Piquet. I am not sure he even understands all that is happening to him right now; all he knows is that he is truly in command and comfortable when he sits behind the wheel of his McLaren.

But hey, even if the cynics were right, and I don't think they are, an arrogant and cocky driver in Formula 1? Yikes, like we haven't seen that before (Damon Hill, James Hunt, Alain Prost, name your driver). I think Hamilton is confident, not arrogant, that he can be successful in F1. Why not? He has won in everything he has competed in; yet I am sure he is more than smart enough to know that as well as he has done, there is still quite a lot he has to learn. If he can keep his head and continue to absorb the knowledge that will continue to make him succesful, he will continue to win. I would reserve judgement on his mental state until he has a horrible day, and see how he handles not making the podium or even the top five. That as much as anything will give some insight in his character. I'm sure his dad will be around to keep his head on straight. :up:

Roamy
20th June 2007, 06:05
regarding the backmarkers

Monkey is a much better word than "Asshole"

ArrowsFA1
20th June 2007, 08:22
Stop sharing data and see who is the real one.
Why? Both drivers have access to each others' data which maximises knowledge of the car for both of them. Whoever comes out on top, therefore, is the "real" one.

LINK PLEASE!!

Alonso has rubbished suggestions that he is unhappy the team allow both drivers full access to each other's data.
It was Alonso's information from Friday practice at Indianapolis that helped Hamilton make a step forward in his pace, especially in the track's middle sector, from Saturday.
"The team does a good job in that aspect," said Alonso
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59968

F1MAN2007
20th June 2007, 08:32
LINK PLEASE!!

Haaaa!!! I was waiting this Valve!!! :laugh:

Here is the last paragraph in his interview :

"Since he is new in the category and he doesn't know the tracks, on Fridays he gets all the data from my car and my laps so he knows the circuit better and knows where the time is found."

The Full article : http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59968

leopard
20th June 2007, 08:37
I didn't see any difference of the link than Arrows has posted

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 10:27
:(

janneppi
20th June 2007, 10:34
Haaaa!!! I was waiting this Valve!!! :laugh:

Here is the last paragraph in his interview :

"Since he is new in the category and he doesn't know the tracks, on Fridays he gets all the data from my car and my laps so he knows the circuit better and knows where the time is found."

The Full article : http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/59968
I hope you're not suggesting that LH knows the track better than Alonso by looking at his data, that would mean Alonso doesn't understand the data as well as LH. ;)

Flat.tyres
20th June 2007, 11:10
I hope you're not suggesting that LH knows the track better than Alonso by looking at his data, that would mean Alonso doesn't understand the data as well as LH. ;)

have you ever seen data from a f1 car. it confuses the hell out of me how they interperet it correctly.

what happens is that an analyst will look at response times from the driver, track position of the car, time spent on TC, entry speed, exit speed, G, tyre and brake temp, mid corner speed, amount of down thrust and a host of over things. Then they come up with minor suggestions to try and gain a 1/1000th somewhere and discuss it with the driver.

janneppi
20th June 2007, 11:16
have you ever seen data from a f1 car. it confuses the hell out of me how they interperet it correctly.

what happens is that an analyst will look at response times from the driver, track position of the car, time spent on TC, entry speed, exit speed, G, tyre and brake temp, mid corner speed, amount of down thrust and a host of over things. Then they come up with minor suggestions to try and gain a 1/1000th somewhere and discuss it with the driver.
And...?

I haven't been around F1 paddocks, but i was confused enough looking at the data modern racing sims like Live For Speed or GTR can show through their "analysis tools". :)

555-04Q2
20th June 2007, 11:30
regarding the backmarkers

Monkey is a much better word than "Asshole"

Yes, but "Asshole" would have been more accurate since we all have one ;) :p

Flat.tyres
20th June 2007, 11:39
And...?

I haven't been around F1 paddocks, but i was confused enough looking at the data modern racing sims like Live For Speed or GTR can show through their "analysis tools". :)

sorry. I just love these ideas that Lewis peeks over the shoulder of Freddie and learns all his tricks. i didn't mean that you were subscribing to this notion. :)

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 11:47
I wish I knew what they were talking about :(

Garry Walker
20th June 2007, 12:15

You have to earn your nr.1 status. If you get beaten by a rookie, then you obviously dont deserve it by default just because you lucked into a title winning car for 2 years.

He has been working with the team more than 13 years

Of which most consisted of him going through his puberty. To say that gives him a considerable, or even a small, advantage over Alonso is pretty unreasoable.

At the end, Lewis is using the all Alonso's data (from the track and the car) to set up his car!! This was the case in Indy and it gave him advantage to Alonso.
No, he can use Alonsos data, just like im sure FA can use his. What does it make of FA if LH can beat him using Alonsos own setup?

I don't think that it would be the same case if he was the only reference in the team or sharing the data with a non best driver.

The proof is Ferrari team today. Not only suffering a poor performance, but they suffer a lot for missing Scumascher because he has been with the team more than 10 years and knew the car better and was good in setting the car.

The credit goes to Alonso for supplying and sharing his best track data with the rockie who managed to take an advantage of them.
How do you know Alonsos track data is the best?
Besides, people need to realize that most of the setup work is decided and done by engineers, not drivers. So if a driver is struggling with the setup, then a large part of the blame has to go on his race engineers shoulders.

Garry Walker
20th June 2007, 12:19
The way Lewis blatantly blocked Alonso on the straight showed me his true character...

and crashing during yellows at Brazil in 2003 and braketesting DC very dangerously at the ring in 2003 showed me Alonsos character. Not to mention his babycrying last year and insulting Renault.

dwboogityfan
20th June 2007, 12:20
I haven't seen a rookie driver this talented since Schumacher made his debut in the Jordan at Spa.
Hamilton is not arrogant just confident in his own ability. All the great sportsmen are this way - look at Tiger Woods for example. In F1 Senna and Schumacher were the greatest - both had an air of self confidence about them.
Alonso is unhappy about being beaten by his team-mate pure and simple.

ArrowsFA1
20th June 2007, 12:30
You have to earn your nr.1 status. If you get beaten by a rookie, then you obviously dont deserve it by default just because you lucked into a title winning car for 2 years.
Or even 5.

Garry Walker
20th June 2007, 12:39
Or even 5.

Yeah, but Fangio earned his nr.1 status :) :cool:

jens
20th June 2007, 12:39
I think it was Eddie Jordan, who said that a successful driver has to be arrogant to some extent. Hard to say, how arrogant Lewis exactly is, but his putative arrogance is not disturbing me at the moment.

Btw, I like that moment from his interview. ;)
"No-one else is going so close to the wall."
"I'm not everyone else."

I guess that says it all - why he is so good and why he might look arrogant. :p :

With all the hypothesizing on who would or would not do what in which car, I'd like to see the following:

1. Alonso and Hamilton driving the Factory Team Hondas
2. Bunsen and Rubens driving the Super Aguri cars
3. Sato and Davidson driving the McLarens
4. Kimi and Massa driving the Red Bulls
5. DC and Mark Webber driving the Ferraris.

Now that would be one helluva interesting season. :p :

What about Trulli in a McLaren or a Ferrari? ;) I'd like to see some continuous position defending in the fight for the race lead!

Garry Walker
20th June 2007, 12:41
I think it was Eddie Jordan, who said that a successfl driver has to be arrogant to some extent.
It is true in all walks of life. If you want to succeed in your chosen profession, then you have to be extremely confident and arrogant. Otherwise you get stepped on.

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 12:48
I think it was Eddie Jordan, who said that a successful driver has to be arrogant to some extent. Hard to say, how arrogant Lewis exactly is, but his putative arrogance is not disturbing me at the moment.

Btw, I like that moment from his interview. ;)
"I'm not everyone else."

I guess that says it all - why he is so good and why he might look arrogant. :p :

What about Trulli in a McLaren or a Ferrari? ;) I'd like to see some continuous position defending in the fight for the race lead!

Jarno's already had a shot with a good car: Renault. The other changes I dreamt of are pure fantasy just to see how these changes would affect their results. Besides, wishing Trulli in a Ferrari or McLaren, holding everybody up, would earn me the ire of the entire forum. :(

race aficionado
20th June 2007, 13:50
Well here I go quoting those tabloids that I don't trust that much but here we have a take where FA is more relaxed now and ready to rumble.

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=472901&CPID=583&clid=3715&lid=2579&title=Alonso+happy+at+McLaren+

"We are better than two weeks ago," said Alonso. "We are showing a great reliability, the cars are fast and both drivers can fight for victory or the podium.

"Now my world championship really begins," he said.

"France, Great Britain, Germany and Hungary are races that I like and that I have won at some point. I am confident that things will once again go well for me. I feel more comfortable in the car and everything is going better."

Alonso admits he is not upset that McLaren give Hamilton all of his telemetry.

"Hamilton gets my data but I also get his data," he said. "However, the one that gets the car ready on a Friday is me."

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 13:59
I think this all stemmed from the unfortunate situation that Fernando made a small error in final round of quals and missed out on pole. Had he got pole (as his practice times suggested) he would probably have gotten to the first corner in the lead, won the race, and got me more points for my pickems.

Chaparral66
20th June 2007, 22:25
If Alonso makes a mistake like he did at Montreal and Hamilton doesn't, and LH gets through and into the lead, Alonso has no one to blame but himself. it wouldn't matter if the benficiary was Hamilton or Heidfeld.

Valve Bounce
20th June 2007, 22:31
If Alonso makes a mistake like he did at Montreal and Hamilton doesn't, and LH gets through and into the lead, Alonso has no one to blame but himself. it wouldn't matter if the benficiary was Hamilton or Heidfeld.

So how do we select the pickems for France :confused:

wmcot
21st June 2007, 06:59

I don't recall where I have heard it, but in the past couple of years, someone has said that the main straight at Indy is faster if you stay near the wall.

Ranger
21st June 2007, 07:10
I don't recall where I have heard it, but in the past couple of years, someone has said that the main straight at Indy is faster if you stay near the wall.

Would have resulted in tears in the race, given the butter-fingers of the marshals!

wmcot
21st June 2007, 07:13
Would have resulted in tears in the race, given the butter-fingers of the marshals!

Right! I should have added that was assuming the track was clean and free of debris like blue flags, etc. :)

EagleEye
21st June 2007, 19:53
He won those 2 races using the data from Alonso car. Stop sharing data and see who is the real one.

Alonso made a mistakes trying to overtake him which is normal coz when you try to overtake you don't see properly ahead particuraly in the corners a lot of time you miss the correct line for braking. At least he managed to stay on the road and finish the race in the points.

Making the Kid the best driver than ever is ignorating MS who is the legend and Alonso beaten him 2 times which is enough to give credit to Alonso. Let the kid have some years and we shall see.

The headline for race coverage in Auto Week:

Phenomenal!

Weather the kid wins another race again, his accomplishments in the first seven races are historically phenomenal.

race aficionado
21st June 2007, 22:04
Just imagine this:
Lewis Hamilton has in front of him an unwritten record book with a bunch of possibilities.

let's see - seven podiums in 7 races - he has the opportunity to actually go the rest of the season having a podium position. It could happen because the opportunity is right there in front of him.

How many more wins? He could also go all the way, why not?????

There are some wonderful sports records out there that are absolutely amazing - for example Cal Ripken Jr's consecutive games played as a professional baseball player.

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/R/Ripken_Cal_Jr.stm

I'm sure you can come up with other amazing ones to . . . . . and my point is that LH is in a wonderful position right now and man, so much fun to watch.

He can fail in the next race and that won't diminish what he has done but the possibilities for more amazing records to be shattered are there for the taking.

Let's see if luck is also on his side.

:s mokin: