PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos perceptions

AndySpeed
18th June 2007, 19:11
Hello all,

I had been thinking of getting a tattoo done sometime soon, it's something i've liked the idea of for over a year now. But one thing that I'm not sure about after a friend mentioned it to me is how it could affect potential employment? Is it not discrimination to judge someone based upon a tattoo?

The reason I ask is because my preferred place to get a (tribal style) tatto done is just above my left wrist.

opinions?

Curryhead
18th June 2007, 19:20
in my opinion, tattoo's are far more acceptable nowadays than they were, I don't have any myself and don't want any, but I think there is nothing wrong with them, don't like to see them on faces though, you know, the home made ACAB's type thing. My wife has 3, all I believe are tasteful, a cat on her upper arm, and a rose on the top of her other arm, the one I'm not top sure about is Oily's name on her bum, but thats another story ;) to top it off, if I was a potential employer, I would take some one on if they had tattoo's, unless they had something stupid like ACAB etc in any place visible, oh, and by the way, my wife works in the public sector and at no time has she ever had any comments, complaints about her tattoo's

Bezza
18th June 2007, 19:40
The problem with a tattoo is it everyone has the same ones. Therefore you are just following a crowd. It certainly doesn't add any "coolness" to you! I advise that you get one somewhere else first, because on your hand is there for everyone to see if you grow to hate it! And to be honest, people with tattoo's on their hands look stupid.

I may get a tattoo but it will most probably be on my back so that only people close to me can see it :) And it will be something personal. Not the over common patterns you see every day!

CarlMetro
18th June 2007, 20:15
Before you get on, ask yourself what your current/future employer will think about it.

If I was employing someone in a customer facing role then I would think twice about it if they had visible tattoos.

Personally I have nothing against them but don't really see the point or need for them, but then when your body is a s beautiful as mine, why cover it up :laugh:

Robinho
18th June 2007, 20:28
like said before, one problem is in getting something the same as a lot of people have, its difficult to find a design that you like that is also rare/unique.

as for employment, there is no reason why an odinary job should be a problem. if you are front line sales or dealing with important customers face to face then visible tattoos may not be preferable, but if you can keep it covered (long sleeved shirt) then there is no rerason why it should affect your employability. personally i would not have tattoos on my lower arms for those reasons, but i do have a couple where they are not visible, both of my own design.

you don't say how old you are or what your chosen career path may be, i would recommend a long think over whether you want one at all, and be sure of the design, especially if it is somewhere where you will see it daily, my main one is at the top of my back, just below my shirt line, so i forget i have and see it in the mirror or photos.

slinkster
18th June 2007, 20:49
Depends on what career you're interested in, but many employers in formal settings/business environments will prefer tattoos to be covered.

AndySpeed
18th June 2007, 21:35
like said before, one problem is in getting something the same as a lot of people have, its difficult to find a design that you like that is also rare/unique.

as for employment, there is no reason why an odinary job should be a problem. if you are front line sales or dealing with important customers face to face then visible tattoos may not be preferable, but if you can keep it covered (long sleeved shirt) then there is no rerason why it should affect your employability. personally i would not have tattoos on my lower arms for those reasons, but i do have a couple where they are not visible, both of my own design.

you don't say how old you are or what your chosen career path may be, i would recommend a long think over whether you want one at all, and be sure of the design, especially if it is somewhere where you will see it daily, my main one is at the top of my back, just below my shirt line, so i forget i have and see it in the mirror or photos.

Ok if it makes any difference I'm almost 19 and studying a degree in Geography. At the moment it's just an idea I've been interested in for some time and I have no intentions to get one done in the next month, more likely in September just before I return to uni.

And perhaps my location description wasnt clear, I'd like a tattoo between my left elbow and wrist, but only in the bottom half of my arm near the wrist, so it could easily be covered up with a long sleeved shirt.

Additionally, these days almost anything one does to their appearance can be deemed to be 'following the crowd'. There is so little unique left to do that I'll leave it to the extreme types who go out of their way to be that little bit different, I have a liking for a certain tattoo type so I'd go with that.

Drew
18th June 2007, 21:49
A friend of mine has it right about where you're talking about and it's not all that noticable.

What do you parents think about it? :p :

Ian McC
18th June 2007, 23:51
Tattoos are certainly more acceptable now, but more so on women than men, I guess it depends on what it is and where it is.

It may cause a problem if you go into a job that requires a uniform, uniform standards often dictate that they should be covered up.

oily oaf
19th June 2007, 08:17
The major stumbling block for me if I ever decided to add to my corpular landscaping would be the bloody cost of 'em these days :eek:
Circa 1975 I had 2 armfuls done for about 30 quid, nowadays you need to pull off a Brinks Mat style heist to have "Iron and "Steel" on yer knuckles.
Incidentally my parents were in the iron and steel game.
My mum did the ironing while me dad went out stealing. (Blam! Thud)

Curryman. Sorry to hear about your wife's oily bottom old chap.
Have you tried mixing Borax abrasive hand scourer with 3 parts of Swarfega and rubbing vigorously into the problem area?
Then simply dry off with oxy/acetylene burning gear and polish to a high sheen with a lint free cloth.

Thank me later

Flat.tyres
19th June 2007, 13:03
if you have one, it may not hinder your future employment but if you dont have one, then your sure.

i have a friend that had a symbol done in thailand and it turns out it says marajuana in Thai :) Woops

Hawkmoon
19th June 2007, 13:07
I detest the things. They look OK on young bodies but bloody awful on older ones. My kids are 5, 4 and 1 and I've already said to my wife that they aren't going to be allowed to get any tattoos whilst I have a say in the matter.

But hey, you're old enough to make up your own mind Andy. It's not a decision to be taken lightly, however.

Mark
19th June 2007, 13:12
Tattoo's do create a certain perception about the person, note perception, it's not necessarily founded on reality. Firstly that the person is somewhat less than intelligent, after all what bright person is going to want to paint things on themselves. Secondly that the person is agressive, traditionally it's 'hard' blokes who have tattoos so if I saw someone with one I'd assume he's going to be more likely than the next bloke to start a fight or be engaged in other criminal activities.

Daniel
19th June 2007, 13:26
I agree with Carl and Mark.

To me getting a tribal tattoo is "fashionable" and no better than going to Halfords and buying some stupid bits for your car to chav it up. Tribal tattoo's look fashionable at the moment but rather than a hairstyle which you can change when it's no longer fashionable a tattoo is permanent unless you do the laser thing...... Mark my words it'll look silly in 10 or 15 years.

Eki
19th June 2007, 13:41
My wife has 3, all I believe are tasteful, a cat on her upper arm, and a rose on the top of her other arm, the one I'm not top sure about is Oily's name on her bum, but thats another story ;)
I've heard Oily has a tattooed cat too. The cat didn't like it at all.

Kneeslider
19th June 2007, 15:57
As stylishness operates in cycles, I think that soon we are going to see a fashion for being un-tattooed! I guess getting a tattoo is going to be OK if you want to appear to be 'street' or even 'down with the kids' but why ever would you want to do that?

I think that tattoos are all about tribalism, and belonging, and nothing to do with being an individual, or how 'hard' you are. I suppose that it's a similar thing to the reason why people have lots of gold jewelery, including that style faux pas the soverign ring (do you really want to look like a darts player?)

Woodeye
19th June 2007, 17:13
I have a tattoo and I've been in numerous job interviews. Never been a problem. If you are unsecure whether it will have some affect in future the best thing is to get it to some place where it cannot be seen at once. You can decide if people are able to see the tattoo or not.

What comes to tribal tattoos, I've never thought that they look good. And even if they did, what's the point if every other punk has similar tattoo that you have?

Mine is a symbol that has special meaning for me. It reminds me of something. I still think that I'm going to have at least one, maybe two more.

Oh, and this symbol has nothing to do with oily...

CharlieJ
19th June 2007, 21:47
Big problem is...

You get the latest design, but how long before its, like, sooooo last year?

It's not like a shirt that you can throw out and get something more fashionable if it goes out of fashion or if your taste changes. My tastes change all the time, so I would never dare get a tattoo.

Mark
20th June 2007, 08:17
I have a tattoo and I've been in numerous job interviews.

Indeed :p

Woodeye
20th June 2007, 17:56
Indeed :p

The art of quoting... :)

Hazell B
22nd June 2007, 21:07
The problem with a tattoo is it everyone has the same ones. Therefore you are just following a crowd.

Not so much these days, as more and more people take their own design to the parlour or have one especially drawn up.

I've got two. One's a fish I used to own and the other my Hunter pony Sovereign's face and neck. Both are on my back and easy to cover up. My mate Animal has dozens, all of her own design or that of the tattoo artist she's friends with. In fact he uses her to promote his work, and has just placed his logo 'OOOOCH!!!' on her skull (I'm not so keen on that one to be honest :s ).

My one bit of advice is to think about the design first then ask the artist who's doing it how much pain is involved in your chosen area. Silly me thought having my pony's face on my lower back would be a breeze .... until it happened to go over a nerve and I spent 28 minutes in utter, twitching, uncontrollable toothache-style pain with my spine twisted at 80 degrees off straight because it wouldn't relax with the needles hitting the nerves :p :

Now it's summer, try a henna tattoo for a few weeks ;)

BDunnell
23rd June 2007, 15:08
I agree with Carl and Mark.

To me getting a tribal tattoo is "fashionable" and no better than going to Halfords and buying some stupid bits for your car to chav it up. Tribal tattoo's look fashionable at the moment but rather than a hairstyle which you can change when it's no longer fashionable a tattoo is permanent unless you do the laser thing...... Mark my words it'll look silly in 10 or 15 years.

That's my view as well. It may be a bit nasty to say so, but tattoos (and certain other external features, such as certain types of jewellery) do create a certain perception about a person. Although this is always a rather sweeping thing, I can understand why.

Eki
23rd June 2007, 19:42
Not so much these days, as more and more people take their own design to the parlour or have one especially drawn up.

I've got two. One's a fish I used to own and the other my Hunter pony Sovereign's face and neck. Both are on my back and easy to cover up. My mate Animal has dozens, all of her own design or that of the tattoo artist she's friends with. In fact he uses her to promote his work, and has just placed his logo 'OOOOCH!!!' on her skull (I'm not so keen on that one to be honest :s ).

My one bit of advice is to think about the design first then ask the artist who's doing it how much pain is involved in your chosen area. Silly me thought having my pony's face on my lower back would be a breeze .... until it happened to go over a nerve and I spent 28 minutes in utter, twitching, uncontrollable toothache-style pain with my spine twisted at 80 degrees off straight because it wouldn't relax with the needles hitting the nerves :p :

Now it's summer, try a henna tattoo for a few weeks ;)
How about tattooing Naburn's and Kipper's faces on your forehead?

Hazell B
23rd June 2007, 21:09
How about tattooing Naburn's and Kipper's faces on your forehead?

I'd never get a tattoo anywhere normally visible.
Anyway, too many colours :p :

Eki
23rd June 2007, 23:51
I'd never get a tattoo anywhere normally visible.
Anyway, too many colours :p :
Nobby Numbnuts Depp on your butt then?

Hondo
25th June 2007, 03:19
I have a tattoo and I've been in numerous job interviews. Never been a problem.

Maybe thats why you've been in numerous interviews.

There is still a majority that view tatoos as trashy and that the people that display them are trashy as well. Unless the inks and methods have been improved, as you age, tatoos seem to morph into one large dark blob without detail.

Tomi
25th June 2007, 09:47

There is still a majority that view tatoos as trashy and that the people that display them are trashy as well. Unless the inks and methods have been improved, as you age, tatoos seem to morph into one large dark blob without detail.

I belive the way people view tattoos depends much from where you are, here I think it's not a big problem if any depends offcourse where and whatkind of tattoo you have.

Woodeye
25th June 2007, 19:26

Nope. Tattoo is on my shoulder and I hardly ever go to job interview without a shirt.

It's just me. :dork:

Mark in Oshawa
25th June 2007, 21:03
I think Tattoos are more acceptable, and generation x seems to have see them as part of being alive, but the older generations do NOT have the same outlook. I guess what it always comes down to what you do for a living, and how much body art do you crave to scratch the itch of having a tattoo? I think they all look good until the skin under em gets old. My ex's dad had a ton done while he was serving in the Canadian Army, one for every overseas mission he served, so he had 4 (two from Cyprus, one for Egypt and one for being stationed in Germany). They had meaning for him at the time, but he confessed to me he was probably stupid to get them as they didn't look that great. I think they have improved in quality compared to those he had 40 years ago, but it seems like a permanent solution to a temporary craving......so I would be REALLY careful about getting any tattoo. Until removing them is painless and easy, they are like having a kid, you are stuck with em....

edv
26th June 2007, 06:17
Here's a tattoo 'ed guy...Utah's public enemy number one...just got captured...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/1103061allgier1.jpg

oily oaf
26th June 2007, 17:15
Here's cautionary little tale to reinforce the old adage that you should never judge a book by it's cover.
Back in the 80's I was working as a doorman at a small but "lively" South London club.
Amongst my fellow bow tie sporting buddies was a guy called Alan from Norwood, a hulking giant of a man, fearsome of aspect with shaven skull, gypsy style earrings in both ears and more tattoos than David Beckham after a stint in the merchant navy.
Alan was also one of the gentlest and amiable fellas that I have ever met. Quietly spoken, a devoted family man self effacing almost to a fault and possessing the patience of Job himself. I've actually observed him apologising to brawling drunks as he's frog marching 'em into the street.
Then there was Justin. A well presented type of fella with medium to heavy build. He came from a good home and was always well groomed with a shock of wavy, immaculately coiffured hair which he would habitually attend to every five minutes with a steel comb. He spoke with a soft South London accent but interspersed his sentences with vicious, guttural swearing.
You see Justin was a psychotic thug and quite possibly the most dangerous man I have ever met.
A fellow doorman had to pull him off a drunken punter one night after Justin decided to use his head as a football.
He told me afterwards that had he not intervened he was in little doubt that the unfortunate bloke would have been killed.
I haven't seen either of them in years although I heard through the grapevine that Justin was banged away for 8 years for affray and attempted murder after stabbing one his neighbours repeatedly in the neck after a disagreement.
As for "Big" Al I wouldn't mind betting that he's still working hard to support his wife and children, paying his taxes and still charming everyone that he meets.

The moral?
In a boxing match always bet on the black guy and in life be careful who you direct your insults towards.
It might get messy. :arrows:

Drew
26th June 2007, 19:37
Here's a tattoo 'ed guy...Utah's public enemy number one...just got captured...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/1103061allgier1.jpg

I'm not sure Andy was planning on getting a swastika on his forehead, perhaps on his back, though.

Hondo
27th June 2007, 11:44
Another tatoo drawback. If you contemplate a future career in the criminal activity business, tatoos can make you easier to positively identify on sight.

Bummer.

Hazell B
27th June 2007, 20:13
Another tatoo drawback. If you contemplate a future career in the criminal activity business, tatoos can make you easier to positively identify on sight.

Bummer.

:laugh:

Conmen are now painting fake tattoos on themselves as an aid to making their mark think they wouldn't be stupid enough to be so instantly recognisable, so it's working both ways.

No Eki, I won't be getting my rump painted up! Especially not in 'Numbnuts black' - it hurts the most!

owyfan
28th June 2007, 10:43
I think nowadays Tattoo's are accepted by most people. I'm a female and have 7 Tattoo's. Most are on my back or side and one that only a few previlige people have seen, so I can cover them up very easily.
I think that as long as they are not offensive tattoo's on your arms then employers generally don't care!