PDA

View Full Version : Setanta on Freeview

Brown, Jon Brow
17th June 2007, 20:44
:confused:

I just stumbled over the DTM Brands Hatch highlights on Setanta Sports, yet I don't have Top Up TV!!

Does this mean that all BTCC races are available on free to air TV?

:D

Pedalpusher
17th June 2007, 20:57
I think Setanta are making the channel available unencrypted between 7pm and 10pm for a few nights.

PDS
17th June 2007, 21:07
Up until 22nd apparently.. Although my mate in Liverpool couldn't see it tonight!

thompp
17th June 2007, 21:21
Wow I didnt know that. Now if only I can prise my wife away from the telly..........

BM
17th June 2007, 22:15
The BTCC was on the freeview channel (34) last time out at Croft, and will most probably be on again at Oulton, since there is no football, etc to show on Setanta sports 1 instead.

VXRDartford
18th June 2007, 08:39
sorry to put a downer on it but it might be on freeview but it is not free - from the setanta website:

"All your must see sports are available to watch exclusively LIVE on Setanta Sports on Freeview channel 34. For only £10.99 per month, you could be watching top sporting action everyday. Subscribe now, pay for one month and we'll give you two months free with our best ever special offer."

Its cheaper than sky but still expensive

Pedalpusher
18th June 2007, 12:23
sorry to put a downer on it but it might be on freeview but it is not free

It is for the 3 hours that the channel is unencrypted.

Here's the blurb about it.

As part of a promotion the Setanta Sports channel on Freeview (ch. 34) is going to be broadcasting unencrypted between 1900 and 2200 until June 22.

SEATFreak
18th June 2007, 13:31
sorry to put a downer on it but it might be on freeview but it is not free - from the setanta website:

"All your must see sports are available to watch exclusively LIVE on Setanta Sports on Freeview channel 34. For only £10.99 per month, you could be watching top sporting action everyday. Subscribe now, pay for one month and we'll give you two months free with our best ever special offer."

Doesn't sound worth it IMHO. My view of the whole point of Freeview is it offers people a way of having the honour of having and watching a multi-channel TV free of charge without the exhorbitant prices SKY and other similar multi-channel services charge for everything. The only price is the cost of the box. I am wondering what else one has to pay for other than the installation fee.

I am of the feeling, rightly or wrongly, this £11 charge goes against what the people who run Freeview tried to promote the service as.

"Pay for Setanta now and get two months free" on paper certainly sounds good, better than paying £11 per month, but it is actually when you can pay £20 for a WTCC DVD that you can see over again? I would only get Setanta for the WTCC. Other than the WTC's it would be a waste.

tintin
18th June 2007, 17:22
I would only get Setanta for the WTCC. Other than the WTC's it would be a waste.

WTCC isn't on Setanta though, it's on Eurosport.

Setanta shows the BTCC and supports (live) and DTM (usually live, but sometimes only delayed), as well as other motorsport like GP2 and Nascar.

If you subscribe through Top-Up TV, it only costs £11 per month but you only get Setanta Sports 1.

This is fine if what you want to watch is always on Setanta Sports 1, but out of four BTCC events this year, three of them have been on Setanta Sports 2, and you have only been able to see highlights on Setanta Sports 1.

To get all nine Setanta channels, you'l need to have digital satellite or cable, and it will cost £15 per month.

Dave B
18th June 2007, 17:33
Doesn't sound worth it IMHO. My view of the whole point of Freeview is it offers people a way of having the honour of having and watching a multi-channel TV free of charge without the exhorbitant prices SKY and other similar multi-channel services charge for everything. The only price is the cost of the box. I am wondering what else one has to pay for other than the installation fee.

I am of the feeling, rightly or wrongly, this £11 charge goes against what the people who run Freeview tried to promote the service as.
That's why it's not on Freeview, it's on Top-Up TV. Most Freeview boxes don't have the necessary card slot. Sky are weighing up paid-for channels on the DTT platform, and they won't be the last.

Scuderia ferrari
18th June 2007, 18:02
I wouldn't pay for that- would be nice to see some DTM and BTCC support races though, but i'm not paying that money for that.

As long as BTCC and F1 is on ITV, i won't need a channel like that

nicemms
18th June 2007, 19:16
Well tommorow according to my epg setanta 1 are showing 'BTTC from Croft' at 20:00 for 50 mins

I would watch this bvut what is BTTC?

Scuderia ferrari
18th June 2007, 19:34
Well tommorow according to my epg setanta 1 are showing 'BTTC from Croft' at 20:00 for 50 mins

LOL! Typical stupidity!

From the channel i mean, not you.

VXRDartford
20th June 2007, 11:23
That's why it's not on Freeview, it's on Top-Up TV. Most Freeview boxes don't have the necessary card slot. Sky are weighing up paid-for channels on the DTT platform, and they won't be the last.

Setanta is not on top up tv as you would have to pay £8 a month for top up tv and then £11 for setanta on top of that

poole123
20th June 2007, 12:04
Setanta are only showing highlights of the brands hatch and knockhill rounds, according to their website it will not be live

CroftPilgrim
21st June 2007, 16:16

The Setanta subscription is the same whether you have Sky or Freeview.

Pedalpusher
21st June 2007, 17:11
The Setanta subscription is the same whether you have Sky or Freeview.

Freeview is £10.99 per month and Sky is £15 per month.

philcooling
26th June 2007, 20:18

British Table Tennis Championship?

tintin
26th June 2007, 20:25
It was called the BTTC in an article in the Daily Express on Saturday too...

Dave B
26th June 2007, 22:51
Did they blame Jason Plato for killing Diana?

tintin
26th June 2007, 23:14
Did they blame Jason Plato for killing Diana?

LOL

No, I think they are still trying to pin that one on Lewis.

The BTCC article was about Turner actually.