PDA

View Full Version : F1 Enigmas

futuretiger9
16th June 2007, 20:36
There have been some F1 drivers down the years whose level of performance from race to race, and psychological make-up, was unfathomable.

A prime example was Jean-Pierre Jarier, who could produce striking bursts of speed, but just as easily be totally anonymous. The accusation is also levelled at Carlos Reutemann, although the statistics tend to belie this.

Can anyone think of any other drivers who had the same characteristics?

25th June 2007, 18:47
There have been some F1 drivers down the years whose level of performance from race to race, and psychological make-up, was unfathomable.

A prime example was Jean-Pierre Jarier, who could produce striking bursts of speed, but just as easily be totally anonymous. The accusation is also levelled at Carlos Reutemann, although the statistics tend to belie this.

Can anyone think of any other drivers who had the same characteristics?

Currently, Fisichella & Ralf.

Recently, Frentzen & Alesi.

ArrowsFA1
4th July 2007, 17:02
Stefano Modena perhaps.

4th July 2007, 17:06
Stefano Modena perhaps.

More 'definately' than 'perhaps'?

And, talking of Italians..........may I present the ultimate enigma.......

Mr Zanardi.

Storm
9th July 2007, 03:25
Jarno Trulli perhaps?

He is unbelievably fast and smooth...but never had really good cars but even in somewhat decent cars (Renault and the poor Jordans) he put some amazing qualifying laps. His racing is up and down though.

Alesi and Ralf do tend to fit into this as well.

Garry Walker
9th July 2007, 23:55
Fisichella

Absolutely. Mentally the weakest driver in F1 IMO.

Kevinus66
17th October 2008, 01:58
How about Andrea de Cesaris.

As fast as the best of them on his day, but prone to impetuous mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubb8J5e85UE

Classic moment between Piquet/de Cesaris at Monaco in 1989. de Cesaris goes down the inside of Piquet at the hairpin and they crash blocking the road. The two drivers then sit in the car arguing as to who's fault it was (probably) while cars form an orderly traffic jam behind them.

keysersoze
17th October 2008, 13:41
Kovalainen

Good answers above, especially Ralf. Perhaps add Ivan Capelli. I even thought Thierry Boutsen was up and down.

I though Glock was pretty erratic earlier this year, but that dude has proven he's tough as nails.

fizzicist
17th October 2008, 14:18
Jan Magnussen? Talent to spare yet just didn't seem to have the mental application to get the best from himself...

jens
17th October 2008, 20:37
Yeah, it's hard to be even more inconsistent than Andrea de Cesaris. :p :

But I'd add Jos Verstappen and Adrian Sutil.

Alesi wasn't that inconsistent, more likely he was too hot-headed at times, not that he often "mysteriously" seriously lacked of pace. If you mention Alesi, then surely drivers a'la Massa should be included too.

wedge
18th October 2008, 00:42
Regards to Frentzen and Reutimann - Patrick Head has a way with people. Williams prefer grafters rather than consoling drivers.

D-Type
20th October 2008, 01:20
Given the anniverasary, I think Mike Hawthorn deserves a mention. Admittedly some of his lack lustre performances are now known to be due to the kidney complaint he suffered from.

futuretiger9
24th October 2008, 00:54
Kovalainen

Good answers above, especially Ralf. Perhaps add Ivan Capelli.

Capelli is a good choice. He occasionally showed startling form with the Leyton House March, when the car's handling was perfect, but he sank without trace at Ferrari in '92.

ArrowsFA1
24th October 2008, 08:58
Capelli is a good choice. He occasionally showed startling form with the Leyton House March, when the car's handling was perfect, but he sank without trace at Ferrari in '92.
I never really understood what happened to Capelli at Ferrari. Ok, the car was poor, and Ivan didn't strike me as someone who would wring the neck of the car like Alesi his team-mate, but given the job he'd done at Leyton House it was extraordinary the way he just faded away.

futuretiger9
24th October 2008, 23:37
I never really understood what happened to Capelli at Ferrari. Ok, the car was poor, and Ivan didn't strike me as someone who would wring the neck of the car like Alesi his team-mate, but given the job he'd done at Leyton House it was extraordinary the way he just faded away.

Capelli was occasionally a bit "hit and miss" whilst at Leyton House, and he jus didn't seem to be psychologically equipped to withstand the pressure of driving for Ferrari. A few observers suggested that he had been "found out" at Ferrari, and that he had been flattered by the exceptional aerodynamics (courtesy of Adrian Newey) of the Leyton House.

DazzlaF1
8th November 2008, 20:45
I know his F1 career was short, but id add Jean Pierre Jabouille to the list, looking at his stats, he only had three points scoring finishes, but 2 of those ended up as wins.

D-Type
9th November 2008, 21:50
I know his F1 career was short, but id add Jean Pierre Jabouille to the list, looking at his stats, he only had three points scoring finishes, but 2 of those ended up as wins.That wasn't down to him. The Renault was chronicaly unreliable during the period that they learned how to make a turbo work.

ykiki
10th November 2008, 08:54
Capelli was occasionally a bit "hit and miss" whilst at Leyton House, and he jus didn't seem to be psychologically equipped to withstand the pressure of driving for Ferrari. A few observers suggested that he had been "found out" at Ferrari, and that he had been flattered by the exceptional aerodynamics (courtesy of Adrian Newey) of the Leyton House.

The odd thing about Capelli for me - he did a good job at times with the Leyton House, which was a midfield team on most days, followed by a tough time at Ferrari - was that he signed on with Jordan where he was just plain HORRIBLE at the back of the field and then threw in the towel after only two races. Yikes!

Same with Modena - Once highly touted and had a few good drives when the Tyrrell was working properly, but when saddled with the 2nd year Jordan he was completely lost and never heard from again (in F1)...

10th November 2008, 10:24
I know his F1 career was short, but id add Jean Pierre Jabouille to the list, looking at his stats, he only had three points scoring finishes, but 2 of those ended up as wins.

Jabouille gave his all to developing the Renault Turbo engine. Given that it was chronically unreliable not just at the start in 1977 but up until 1983, the statistics give a wholly false impression of Jean-Pierre.

AAReagles
15th November 2008, 20:50
Jabouille gave his all to developing the Renault Turbo engine. Given that it was chronically unreliable not just at the start in 1977 but up until 1983, the statistics give a wholly false impression of Jean-Pierre.

That's what I thought about him as well, since by that time he was in the twilight of his career.

During the infancy of my enthusiasm 3 decades ago, I had to do a double-take on a small sports-car racing article in Road & Track issue from the 1960's. Driving for Matra I believe.