PDA

View Full Version : US Grand Prix practice, quals, and race.

Valve Bounce
16th June 2007, 01:17
Just thought I'd start this thread so we can have some ongoing discussion.
Seems that Alonso has his car set up fast for this race - He'll probably lead from start to finish. Don't know about Ferrari - their two cars seem to be a bit off the pace so far.
Ralfie looks set to retire from motor racing; sooner rather than later.

Ranger
16th June 2007, 01:22
Alonso should be fine IF he gets to turn 1 first without being the most expensive grasscutter out there.

andreag
16th June 2007, 01:30
Ferrari did P1 on the harder tyres, and P2 on the softer ones, that's why they were running better, but it seems they were heavier also.

It looks like they're preparing a strategy for pitting much later than McLaren, and Alonso said in an interview he asked for a light strategy as he thinks is the best for his team.

Valve Bounce
16th June 2007, 03:21
If Alonso can get to the front after turn 1, and he is running light, and can make up a decent lead on the Ferraris. he would be hard to beat.

race aficionado
16th June 2007, 16:40
A lot of Speed TV coverage -expected of course now that we are running it in the ol' US of A.

Interesting comments on LH allergy comments.

Looks like he is a sufferer of allergies - pollen????? - and he wasn't doing well yesterday but that today he is feeling much better.

I wonder how unconfortable this must make him feel while he fights to not sneeze on a challenging corner . . . . :eek:

a lot of cameras following the young phenom.

Can't wait for qualifying.

:s mokin:

Ian McC
16th June 2007, 18:26
Good Q1 for the Ant, BMW's looking very good out there.

Ian McC
16th June 2007, 19:09
Yes!!!

Lewis does it again! :beer: :beer:

Zico
16th June 2007, 19:10
WOOOOT!!! Hamy on pole again....!

janneppi
16th June 2007, 19:12
Good work from Lewis, Heikki too.

Nicos
16th June 2007, 19:19
Come On Hamilton!

Zico
16th June 2007, 19:23
From 7 tenths down to fernando in 1st practice to beat him by final qualy, how quick was that to find the time?

I think that speaks volumes..

pino
16th June 2007, 19:25
A small mistake costed Alonso the pole, but once again Hamilton was amazing, congrats to him :up: Nice job bye Jarno too :p :

Corny
16th June 2007, 19:28
what small mistake? I havent seen a mistake from him..?

pino
16th June 2007, 19:30
what small mistake? I havent seen a mistake from him..?

He made a little mistake in the last crucial lap ;)

race aficionado
16th June 2007, 19:31
Hamilton is a phenom.

just watch and enjoy.

I am.

jens
16th June 2007, 19:41
Honda looked promising at Friday practices, but in reality they are still there, where they have been all season.

A bit surprising that Super Aguri was so far back - fast circuits should suit them. Also expected more from Rosberg.

truefan72
16th June 2007, 19:44

I didn't see a mistake on his last lap, maybe the mistake was pitting before Hamilton for the last laps and probably running a few laps heavier, but like Canada, if Hamilton get's away clean then that would negate that advantage.

Congrats Hamilton, getting it right when it counts.

Also a good result for Kovaleinen... they better not mess with him and keep him in his seat for the entire year. ( perhaps option PQ. JR to another team for a season. I can't imagine him doing better than Heikke at this point)

Good for Vettel impressive. But now comes the real challenge. Maintaining that speed for an entire race.

Ferrari's are inching closer, but still hugely dissapointing. they were expected to dominate North America. Massa still outshining Kimmi. Something is up with kimmi, not pushing the car like he did with McClaren, perhaps he thin ks the Ferrari should be doing the work. That needs to change

BMW will probably stay close to McClaren all race long.

OutRun
16th June 2007, 19:56
No top ten for the Honda drivers but they did manage to outqualify the Super Aguri's for only the second time. I'll take it as a small sign that Honda are finally ready to turn their season around.

Lewis Hamilton is setting a high standard for rookie drivers in F1.

rohanweb
16th June 2007, 20:04
Well done Lewis.. Go on and win this race tomorrow ;)

Dave B
16th June 2007, 21:04
Remind me: how much experience does Lewis have of Indianapolis?

Exactly, and that makes his pole all the more incredible! :D

pino
16th June 2007, 21:05
Remind me: how much experience does Lewis have of Indianapolis?

Last time i checked...zero :p :

dont_be_jack
16th June 2007, 21:21
Great job, Lewis! Even with the engine change he ran fast!

Zico
16th June 2007, 21:30
Great job, Lewis! Even with the engine change he ran fast!

And what difference would changing the engine normaly make? (confused-smiley)

Like nearly all the teams its now 3 races since last.. it was changed after practice.. a problem was noticed before it even left the garage, so it was changed to another sealed unit. There should be no real difference. ?

Valve Bounce
17th June 2007, 00:06
Honda looked promising at Friday practices, but in reality they are still there, where they have been all season.

A bit surprising that Super Aguri was so far back - fast circuits should suit them. Also expected more from Rosberg.

I think those second hand Hondas need a full service before they can catch up with the factory team again. :p :

ShiftingGears
17th June 2007, 00:50
I think Hamiltons on a roll here. I think he'll win the race.

osg
17th June 2007, 01:12
Hi all, my first post after being a long time lurker...... hoping to enjoy my time chatting with you all.

Lewis again on Pole. Can you imagine if he wins tomorrow again, then Fernando will certainly have some worries.

Ferrari apparently debuted the B spec F2007 at Barcelona and from all accounts have made a backward step. Both Kimi and Felipe were fighting the car bigtime through the infield. As a long time Kimi fan, i'm confused with his efforts since Melbourne.

Kovalainen impressive, Webber good effort to make the final cut, but expected more as the RBR3 is an absolute bullet in a straight line........

I'm tipping Hamilton again tomorrow, with the BMW Saubers being the darkhorses, as they looked sensational on the hards, with little graining or wear put on the super softs also.

race aficionado
17th June 2007, 01:17
Welcom to our forum osg.

:)

dont_be_jack
17th June 2007, 01:21
And what difference would changing the engine normaly make? (confused-smiley)

Like nearly all the teams its now 3 races since last.. it was changed after practice.. a problem was noticed before it even left the garage, so it was changed to another sealed unit. There should be no real difference. ?

Different engines can have different effects. Even though you expect it to be the same and the engine to run fine, it sometimes won't. Anyone know if he was actually faster with this new engine?

vegasmike433
17th June 2007, 01:30
Is this auspicious start something that has taken everyone from pit lane to Piccadilly by a huge surprise. It seems before the deal with Hamilton was even dry there were plenty of skeptics who seemed critical of Ron Dennis for putting Hamilton in a seat he simply was not ready to fill.

Where are those naysayers now?

Frank Williams is quoted as saying "I'm happy to repeat what I said in my private opinion. I've never seen anyone arrive and be so successful so quickly. That is to say at least his first race, it is quite remarkable. Looking hard to find fault with him, and he is very nice, which is quite unusual, too."

That about sums it up, I think. Coming from a man who is not remarkable for the compliments he offers frivolously.

Good Luck to all participants tomorrow. God Bless a safe and interesting race.

Michael P. Whelan

Las Vegas, Nevada

VkmSpouge
17th June 2007, 02:57
Good qualifying by Lewis Hamilton. I think Sebastian Vettel did very well in his first ever qualifying session.

Valve Bounce
17th June 2007, 03:20
Is this auspicious start something that has taken everyone from pit lane to Piccadilly by a huge surprise. It seems before the deal with Hamilton was even dry there were plenty of skeptics who seemed critical of Ron Dennis for putting Hamilton in a seat he simply was not ready to fill.

Where are those naysayers now?

Frank Williams is quoted as saying "I'm happy to repeat what I said in my private opinion. I've never seen anyone arrive and be so successful so quickly. That is to say at least his first race, it is quite remarkable. Looking hard to find fault with him, and he is very nice, which is quite unusual, too."

That about sums it up, I think. Coming from a man who is not remarkable for the compliments he offers frivolously.

Big WElcome to you, Mike.

You are quite right; nearly all the knowledgeable F1 players and commentators said it was too early to put Lewis Hamilton into an F1 seat and wanted him to test for this year. In fact, I can't remembr any of the guys associated with F1 who agreed with Ron Dennis.
I guess Ron has the last laugh now; this guy can go on to win the championship.

Ranger
17th June 2007, 03:25
Big WElcome to you, Mike.

You are quite right; nearly all the knowledgeable F1 players and commentators said it was too early to put Lewis Hamilton into an F1 seat and wanted him to test for this year. In fact, I can't remembr any of the guys associated with F1 who agreed with Ron Dennis.
I guess Ron has the last laugh now; this guy can go on to win the championship.

What's more, who would have thought that following a winless year, McLaren would be pounding everyone else with two drivers to do so. In fact, McLaren have come to a point where their problems don't seem to be with everyone else, its problems within that are haunting them. For me, that says something.

Valve Bounce
17th June 2007, 04:02
Yeah!! the buggers have been sandbagging all winter :(

wmcot
17th June 2007, 08:08
Lewis Hamilton is setting a high standard for rookie drivers in F1.

I would make that ALL drivers, not just rookies! :)

aryan
17th June 2007, 08:09

Indeed he made one, at turn ten; and from there he knew that he had lost it.

As Davidson said on the ITV coverage, the track is so easy with so few turns, that the smallest mistake in your hot lap means that you have lost it.

Dave B
17th June 2007, 09:02
I don't understand why Lewis' achievements are sometimes devalued becuase his team mate made a mistake.

ShiftingGears
17th June 2007, 09:12
Indeed he made one, at turn ten; and from there he knew that he had lost it.

As Davidson said on the ITV coverage, the track is so easy with so few turns, that the smallest mistake in your hot lap means that you have lost it.

Does that make it easy or hard? :p :

Valve Bounce
17th June 2007, 09:59
I would make that ALL drivers, not just rookies! :)

You leave poor Ralfie alone. :(

Valve Bounce
17th June 2007, 10:00
I don't understand why Lewis' achievements are sometimes devalued becuase his team mate made a mistake.

I don't think anyone can afford to devalue Lewis's achievements - they would do so at their peril.

Dave B
17th June 2007, 10:07
Sadly some people seem to think he only won in Canada because of others' misfortune, and that he only took pole at Indy because Alonso made a mistake.

ojciec dyrektor
17th June 2007, 10:26
Sadly some people seem to think he only won in Canada because of others' misfortune, and that he only took pole at Indy because Alonso made a mistake.

And some people say Ralfie is good driver ;)

Valve Bounce
17th June 2007, 10:43

They can dream on!! Rude awakening coming!!

Spanish
17th June 2007, 11:38
Alonso committed a mistake or takes another fuel strategy?
I believe that the mouth of Alonso is greater than its brain, but for me are the favorite. Better time in P3, P2, P1, Q3 and Q2. The only one that has lowered of 1.12….
Strategy of pit-stop much more longer that LH?

hugh_lee
17th June 2007, 12:32

and by some people you mean,...that bloke named fernando? lol

Valve Bounce
17th June 2007, 12:46
I believe that the mouth of Alonso is greater than its brain, but for me are the favorite. Better time in P3, P2, P1, Q3 and Q2. The only one that has lowered of 1.12….
Strategy of pit-stop much more longer that LH?

Good point!

wedge
17th June 2007, 12:59

There is an element of truth in that and to a degree I would disagree with Ron Dennis because it was a freak-ish first win. His Lewis' closest rivals were Alonso and the Ferraris but they went backwards. Personally I would've love to see Lewis handle pressure and the purists would prefer to see a straight fight.

I don't think Lewis would have a problem racing against the BMW of Heidfeld. Alonso would probably have been a different story. You've got to be in it to win it, as they say, so credit to Lewis for driving a flawless race in Canada.

To the people who think James Allen is an idiot who knows nothing about F1, well he predicted Lewis best chance of winning would be in North America! ;)

Ian McC
17th June 2007, 13:13
To the people who think James Allen is an idiot who knows nothing about F1, well he predicted Lewis best chance of winning would be in North America! ;)

Monkeys and typewriters spring to mind :erm:

andreag
17th June 2007, 17:10
It looked like this watching at all the times (specially on Q2), but aryan is right about turn 10, and as he realized it was no way to correct it, drove to the right on the last straight line (as he said later, "to clean his startin line").

Both McLaren drivers are equally loaded (as they were in Canada), and whose driving in front by pitting time, will pit one lap later.

Exactly what it was planned in Canada, although in the last minute Ron Dennis decided to call Lewis first.

donKey jote
17th June 2007, 18:04
Exactly what it was planned in Canada, although in the last minute Ron Dennis decided to call Lewis first.
link please :)

aryan
17th June 2007, 18:21
Please let this be ralf's last race. We have had enough, thank you very much.

Dave B
17th June 2007, 18:35
Poor old DC, innocent victim in Ralf's idiocy :down: :(

Dave B
17th June 2007, 19:01
Lap 38 and Lewis just soaked up the first piece of genuine race pressure from Fernando :up:

aryan
17th June 2007, 19:07
Fernando is doing everything he can to force Lewis into a rookie mistake, it's not working, Lewis is holding his nerve.

This is top-class racing. Who said there is no passing in F1?

SteveMcQueen
17th June 2007, 19:11
TV commentators in Germany just mentioned that Alonso was waiving obscene handsignals to his own Box, obviously because they don't order Hamilton to let him pass.

What a ****er. Pass him like a racer and not like a wimp.

yodasarmpit
17th June 2007, 19:18
Fantastic race between the two McLaren drivers.

Also, is it just me or is ITV squeezing in more ads than usual today?

Dave B
17th June 2007, 19:19
Well now the stops are over McLaren should call it off and all but guarantee their 18 points. A clash now would be stupid and preventable.

aryan
17th June 2007, 19:31
Both McLaren and Ferrari have called it off after the second pits.

Clearly Kimi is faster with the softer tyres, but is just cruising behind Massa.

aryan
17th June 2007, 19:32
Or maybe not ;)

dont_be_jack
17th June 2007, 19:43
Good show, Lewis! Keep on sticking it to Alonso!

Dave B
17th June 2007, 19:44
Fantastic! WELL DONE LEWIS!

aryan
17th June 2007, 19:48
Fantastic race. Well done Lewis.

What a race again!

Well done to Heikki as well. This time he did it in style.

Vettel becomes the youngest poiont scorer in Formula 1 history. That should count for something.

The new generation is coming good guys, we have some fantastic years ahead. The boredome of early 2000s ie over.

janneppi
17th June 2007, 19:50
Good job Lewis for the faultless win and Heikki with fifth place.

yodasarmpit
17th June 2007, 19:57
Wow, just wow.

Brilliant race from Lewis under pressure from Alonso.
Great Brit double at Indy this year, Dario winning the Indy 500 and Lewis winning the USGP at Indy.

OutRun
17th June 2007, 20:05
Knowing that the McLaren and Ferrari drivers were actually racing one another for position made the race worth watching. Congratulations to Hamilton. He didn't put a foot wrong.

Another embarrassment for Honda. The new car better be a huge improvement.

truefan72
17th June 2007, 20:16
Knowing that the McLaren and Ferrari drivers were actually racing one another for position made the race worth watching. Congratulations to Hamilton. He didn't put a foot wrong.

Another embarrassment for Honda. The new car better be a huge improvement.

well said

jens
17th June 2007, 20:16
Hamilton and Massa beating their team-mates. :up: Trulli sixth and Vettel in the points. :up: I'm quite satisfied. :)

ArrowsFA1
17th June 2007, 20:25
The boy's gone and done it again. Fantastic :s mokin: There's no criticism of Alonso in me saying he was beaten by the better driver, as was the case at Ferrari where Massa beat Kimi yet again.

What is going on in F1 this year :crazy: :p

Ian McC
17th June 2007, 20:27
Sato went from hero to zero in a week, has a penalty to take in France because of it.

Big Ben
17th June 2007, 20:28
Seeing FM and KR fighting on track... I can say I´m glad someone´s gone...

I´m pleased to see McLaren finishing 1-2

It´s interesting to see this flock of LH´s fans... I just want to see them when bad days come...

I would also love to hear the ones with the McLaren team orders thread admitting they were talking bollocks... no... that´s day dreaming

race aficionado
17th June 2007, 20:29
I also enjoyed the physical manifestations between the 2 McLaren team mates. Very good for the moral of the team and good for both of them because it cools down the media frenzy that wants to make a drama of it all.

Ian McC
17th June 2007, 20:31
I also enjoyed the physical manifestations between the 2 McLaren team mates. Very good for the moral of the team and good for both of them because it cools down the media frenzy that wants to make a drama of it all.

Will have to wait and see if Alonso has anything to say to the press later.

donKey jote
17th June 2007, 21:25
What do you mean, a whinge about being No.2 ? ;) :p

Robinho
17th June 2007, 21:48
the old guard took themselves out in the 1st corner (Coulthard, Rubens, Ralf) whislt the new guard are coming really strong (Lewis, Nico, Kovy, Vettel) whislt Kimi and alonso seemt to be up to speed, i think that all the "new tyres, new teams" excuses are over now, for the rest of the season its gloves off

jens
17th June 2007, 22:00
To be honest, Räikkönen's race pace should give some hope to his fans - the second half of his race was pretty strong + fastest lap of the race.

janneppi
17th June 2007, 22:11
To be honest, Räikkönen's race pace should give some hope to his fans - the second half of his race was pretty strong + fastest lap of the race.
I wonder why they seemed to put 4 laps worth more of fuel in his quali, he could have been higher on the start with similar fuel levels. Still, the starts have been crap this year.

VkmSpouge
17th June 2007, 22:24
Hamilton did well holding off Alonso despite the intense pressure. Well done to Vettel for scoring a point on his race debut. Jarno Trulli also had a good race getting 6th spot whereas his team mate crashed out at turn 1. Feel sorry for Nico Rosberg losing another certain points finish.

Valve Bounce
17th June 2007, 22:54
I missed the race - slept right through th e night. :(

I have it on tape, I hope.

race aficionado
17th June 2007, 23:12
Valve,
don't just see the begining and the end.
Things actually happen in the middle.

hugh_lee
18th June 2007, 10:32
i thought the producers did a good job during the race. they focused on the battles on the field whether or not they were frontrunners. in some races they would show a battle then shift to another car that would sometimes be coasting alone.