PDA

View Full Version : Weather reports for the Winter-Rallies

M5
17th December 2006, 18:35
Please post reports on weather conditions in the areas where the winter rallies in 07.

The european weather is changing, also in areas that for 10-20 had stable winterconditions from November to March - That is no longer the case.

That is why it would be nice to be kept posted by the locals on how the ice-and snowconditions are on the SS's for the rallies in Sweden and Norway !

SubaruNorway
17th December 2006, 19:10
Doesen't look good around the Rally Norway stages right now it's 5- and just som icy spots, maybe snow on tuesday but i think the winter is realy close now and remember two months until the rallys

swordsman
17th December 2006, 19:16
Karlstad is -2 degrees celsius and has fallen a few, VERY FEW, flakes of snow today. But in practice there is no snow on the ground and not very frozen ground either. However, the conditions may change a thousand times before the Swedish Rally so I don't see any reason to worry!

Magnus
17th December 2006, 19:44
I worry: this is the warmest autumn in 10 000 years in this area according to DMI, the Danish Meteorologic Institute. Regardles of the reason, something is happening.
We have seen very warm autumns in the past few years, and amazingly the Swedish rally has fixed it, saved by the bell at some times but anyway!
but if it continues like this... 7-8 degrees and a pure gravel-rally, RAC style... :( Hmm... The only ice we´ll see is maybe the one in the GT...

ProRally
17th December 2006, 20:02
Just got news from Lapland, even in Rovaniemi not much snow... :s ad:

animrallye
17th December 2006, 20:05
For "Monte-Carlo" Rally, on stages around Burzet : Rainy and foggy today no snow - 6°/1° during the night but temperatures may go down.

Viktory
17th December 2006, 23:34
will be interesting to see what happens. A few weeks ago SMHI (Swedish forecast something) said that there was 85% chance of snow in Karlstad on Christmas but a few days ago they made a new prediction saying there was 0% of a white christmas here in Karlstad :p It's going to change and change again before the rally. I'm not overly worried yet. Not time to worry yet.

DonJippo
17th December 2006, 23:38
will be interesting to see what happens. A few weeks ago SMHI (Swedish forecast something) said that there was 85% chance of snow in Karlstad on Christmas but a few days ago they made a new prediction saying there was 0% of a white christmas here in Karlstad :p It's going to change and change again before the rally. I'm not overly worried yet. Not time to worry yet.

Does not matter if there is no snow in Karlstad as long as there is snow on stages around Hagfors ;) and it looks like it stays under 0° almost the whole week there.

Viktory
17th December 2006, 23:41
true, but if there's snow in Karlstad there will definately be snow up there :) oh and now we have a stage in Karlstad too! hehe

Wim_Impreza
18th December 2006, 11:17
What about the weather for the Jänner Rallye, the first weekend of January?

animrallye
18th December 2006, 11:19
Snowing this morning (not so heavy) over 1000 m on the 'Ardèche'.

Sulland
7th January 2007, 00:14
Looking good for Rally Norway so far, with good Ice sole, but still not enough snow to high snpw banks to lean on - but that can come of course.

-2 till -8 C in the rally area for tomorrow, and more snow.

More worried about the Swedish round, was to be +4 in Karlstad tomorrow, and I am not sure what the contitions are like.
Could any of the Swedes pls update on that ?

DonJippo
7th January 2007, 00:35
More worried about the Swedish round, was to be +4 in Karlstad tomorrow, and I am not sure what the contitions are like.
Could any of the Swedes pls update on that ?

Karlstad is about 100km south from the area where stages are so I would not be that worried about the weather in there....but as far as I know situation could be better around Hagfors ... here is a webcam link to Törsby, close to where some of the stages are and as you can see some snow would do good... http://194.23.40.122/view/view.shtml

Viktory
7th January 2007, 00:56
http://www.smhi.se/sgmain/vinter/snotacke/snotacke.html

here you can see a map of Sweden and where there is snow. not looking very good right now... (Malung is slightly more north than the most northern stage Likenäs, I think) the map updates every now and again, so keep checking back About +4-5 and rain during the days for a few days forward (Karlstad & Hagfors) a bit colder in the nights and morning, with maybe some snow, but that'll melt away during the day and in the rain.

N.O.T
7th January 2007, 01:25
Don't forget to post how the weather is like RIGHT NOW in the areas that a rally will be held in 5 years/months/decades time....thats really helpful......i mean we all know the weather doesn't change....

cosmicpanda
7th January 2007, 03:16
Don't forget to post how the weather is like RIGHT NOW in the areas that a rally will be held in 5 years/months/decades time....thats really helpful......i mean we all know the weather doesn't change....

certainly. Right now, the weather in NZ is rather like that experienced during the 2005 round, warm, dry and sunny with hardly any clouds.

Rally Hokkaido
7th January 2007, 04:14
First big snowfall for the year in Obihiro, last night.
This is 3 weeks later than usual.
We have about 30cm of snow on the ground and more falling today.
Still, it's some time until Rally Japan!

Seriously though there is a big chance of snow on some of the stages in October.

Donney
7th January 2007, 12:22
I hope snow comes hard on the rallies stages, I love winter rallies.

swordsman
12th January 2007, 08:15
I hope snow comes hard on the rallies stages, I love winter rallies.

A few centimeters of snow (maybe 3-5cm) has came in Karlstad and temperatures is below 0. :)

MHjerpe
12th January 2007, 08:32
Weather pic...

animrallye
12th January 2007, 10:22
Today, temperatures between 9 and 15°C on Monte-Carlo stages :eek:
And weather forecast previsions are the same for next days :rolleyes:

Vargåsen
12th January 2007, 10:53
At last, some snow has fallen on the Vargåsen stage (Sweden) yesterday, maybe 5 cm. Not a lot, a since it is a month to go til the rally, it will probably disappear and new snow will fall 3-4 times. But at least, it looks better than the gray rainy landscape we had here a couple of days ago.

Viktory
12th January 2007, 14:05
But at least, it looks better than the gray rainy landscape we had here a couple of days ago.

It's really depressing isn't it? :p Glad some snow has come to make everything a bit lighter.

Slipzen
12th January 2007, 21:43
Heavy snowfall again in the Swedish rally area.

Viktory
13th January 2007, 12:36
how is the weather up there now? In Karlstad it pretty much all rained away last night.

swordsman
13th January 2007, 13:16
how is the weather up there now? In Karlstad it pretty much all rained away last night.

However, from thursday/friday, colder weather are predicted (by both SMHI and weather.com) - AND SNOW :)

Micke_VOC
13th January 2007, 18:30
was in swerally area today, great roads with 1-2 dm snow and really hard ice in the bottom.

JAM
16th January 2007, 10:45
Any news about weather in sweden?

animrallye
16th January 2007, 12:30
This morning, for the recce, no snow on Monte-Carlo stages but heavy smog !

pino
16th January 2007, 15:05
However, from thursday/friday, colder weather are predicted (by both SMHI and weather.com) - AND SNOW :)

Great news :up: :D

miksu
16th January 2007, 15:14

so where is this? monte, sweden or norway?

pino
16th January 2007, 15:15
so where is this? monte, sweden or norway?

Sweden ;)

miksu
16th January 2007, 15:25
Sweden ;)

ok thanks :)

MHjerpe
21st January 2007, 08:28
yesterday morning no snow at all.. and this morning... (snowed about 10cm)

pino
21st January 2007, 12:59
Great news MHerpe, and for what I know, you should get more snow soon :up: :D

eppel
21st January 2007, 14:33
Heavy snowfall around Elverum yesterday. Over 20 cm in ONE day! I think it still snows.

SubaruNorway
21st January 2007, 14:34
It's about 40-50cm around Lillehammer and Brumundal now

Donney
21st January 2007, 18:13
Excellent news, I hope it keeps snowing for the rallies.

DonJippo
21st January 2007, 18:32
Great news MHerpe, and for what I know, you should get more snow soon :up: :D

And for what I know it will remain all the way till rally week ;)

Viktory
21st January 2007, 19:42
And for what I know it will remain all the way till rally week ;)

That sounds too good to be true, I hope it's true, please say you have some sort of source!! :D

Or do you mean it will disappear in the beginning of rally week? :p

DonJippo
21st January 2007, 20:21
That sounds too good to be true, I hope it's true, please say you have some sort of source!! :D

Or do you mean it will disappear in the beginning of rally week? :p

You can run longer term models on this site http://www.weatherunderground.com/modelmaps/maps.asp?model=GFS&domain=EU and at the moment it gives forecast till Tuesday night of the rally week...just use 2mAG level and Europe domain, add a map and animate...easy to learn

Viktory
21st January 2007, 20:28
very nice! thank you :)

Perra71
24th January 2007, 08:40
-17 degrees in Hagfors this morning, brrrrrrrrr

Micke_VOC
24th January 2007, 12:41
Hello.
Were in the area of stage vargåsen yesterday.
About 20cm snow and ice in the road and cold as hell ( -16 degrees )

Looks good for the rally now...

JAM
24th January 2007, 12:44
Things seems going well in terms of temperature. But the better would be a heavy snow during fridy and saturday, it would put the landescape in the way that we are used to see :)

SubaruNorway
24th January 2007, 12:55
looks like it's coming more snow next week

N.O.T
24th January 2007, 13:00
Every year its the same.... you all go crazy and say No snow no snow and the snow comes.....aren't you bored with those threads yet ????

DonJippo
24th January 2007, 13:15
Every year its the same.... you all go crazy and say No snow no snow and the snow comes.....aren't you bored with those threads yet ????

No not yet N.O.T :devil:

SubaruNorway
24th January 2007, 13:33
A short weather report video from Norway 20k south of Lillehammer
http://d.turboupload.com/d/1457788/Untitled.mpg.html

SubaruNorway
24th January 2007, 16:45
This is how it looked like last year

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/fb89e4cc-2d02-4b58-825b-985100be9609.htm

JAM
24th January 2007, 16:45

Why you come here to read the threads? You only have to wait by the end of rally and look at the final classification. Until then is a waste of time discuss and people could stay bored. :D :D

JAM
1st February 2007, 18:59
Any update about the weather in Sweden?

Viktory
1st February 2007, 19:06
Yesterday it rained in Karlstad but the same amount of snow is still here, now it is just a lot harder and a lot more icy, since the snow that melted froze overnight. It's supposed to get a little milder in the weekend but according to some reports from the stages that is good as some gravel is protruding from under the snow, milder weather followed by cold weather will make a nice ice surface. I think it will get colder next week again. The rain that came here yesterday was snow up by the stages I believe.

JAM
1st February 2007, 20:13
Yesterday it rained in Karlstad but the same amount of snow is still here, now it is just a lot harder and a lot more icy, since the snow that melted froze overnight. It's supposed to get a little milder in the weekend but according to some reports from the stages that is good as some gravel is protruding from under the snow, milder weather followed by cold weather will make a nice ice surface. I think it will get colder next week again. The rain that came here yesterday was snow up by the stages I believe.

Magnus
2nd February 2007, 08:04
We have a critical weekend in front of us: warmer weather is promised throughout the southern parts of sweden. It will get colder inte the beginning of next week though. **** global warming...

pino
2nd February 2007, 08:17
Hopefully the snow stays until we arrive :D

DonJippo
2nd February 2007, 08:25
We have a critical weekend in front of us: warmer weather is promised throughout the southern parts of sweden. It will get colder inte the beginning of next week though.

Great, this is good for the roads and will freeze roads to rock hard ice :D

RicKT
3rd February 2007, 02:04
Im off out to Sweden on Wed's, for 6 nights, hopefully the snow will come!!

Just out of intrest.... how long are you guts out there for??

RiCKT

iks
3rd February 2007, 07:47
-15 °C/5°F now at 7am in Hamar. :D

observed at Haugedalshogda. http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:13329

iks
3rd February 2007, 08:33
http://www.rallynorway.com/en/news/superb_winter_conditions.html

SubaruNorway
3rd February 2007, 09:09
It rained for 30min yesterday and right now it's 4- 20km south of Lillehammer so it must be like 15cm of ice on the roads now :D

swordsman
3rd February 2007, 20:35
PERFECT settings at Colins Crest! No worries!
http://www.rallysport.se/colinscrest2007.htm

Viktory
3rd February 2007, 21:13
wow, thanks for those pictures swordsman! Very nice road conditions! Will be cold all week too so it's going to be a good raly :) Some snow during the week too I think, would be nice to make the trees white.

miksu
4th February 2007, 20:23
no snow banks though...

Jaanus
4th February 2007, 20:51
PERFECT settings at Colins Crest! No worries!
http://www.rallysport.se/colinscrest2007.htm

No that is not perfect, perfect would be with big snow banks. But the contitions seem good atleast.

swordsman
4th February 2007, 21:08
Well, I think it depends.... No snowbanks=more speed. Just harder for the organizer...

barazal
5th February 2007, 18:20
I dont agree. Actually, snowbanks= more speed. The drivers can use the snowbanks as help to enter the bends more quickly

JAM
5th February 2007, 18:59
I dont agree. Actually, snowbanks= more speed. The drivers can use the snowbanks as help to enter the bends more quickly

:up: but the fins and swedishs could say something about it. I don't have snow here...

SubaruNorway
5th February 2007, 19:16
But no snow banks makes the road wider and they don't have to vory about hooking the front in the snow

miksu
5th February 2007, 20:15
However the case is, Marcus and Seb were hoping for nice big snowbanks to lean on, so I take their word for it and think its better with banks.

Viktory
5th February 2007, 20:45
of course it is better with banks. I have heard that the banks are a bit bigger than that shown in the pictures from Colin's in other places though.

Oh, and no banks = faster

cosmicpanda
6th February 2007, 00:11

Didn't they have virtual spectator compare Marcus' driving on one stage, Fredricksberg I think it was, from different years? One year, he had snowbanks and the other he didn't. And he was faster without them.

That's not to say that snowbanks don't make it more spectacular.

Brother John
6th February 2007, 10:23
SS 4 / SS11 Torntorp Yesterday!

http://www.xpress.se/mkratten/torntorp%202007.htm

pino
6th February 2007, 10:43
SS 4 / SS11 Torntorp Yesterday!

http://www.xpress.se/mkratten/torntorp%202007.htm

Thanks BJ :D

A.F.F.
6th February 2007, 11:40
Without snowbanks you got to cut corners, hence it's faster than without. But spectacularwise... nowhere near. I hope there's huge banks :bounce:

Some can lean on them, some just dive through :D

Magnus
6th February 2007, 13:59
...like whales...with some Solberg within...

Viktory
6th February 2007, 16:31
It is snowing quite a lot in Karlstad now :)

miksu
7th February 2007, 12:31
What's with the gravel coming on the roads, as Peugeot206WRC quoted Carlson saying...??

Viktory
7th February 2007, 13:11
If the ice layer is too thin or it is only frozen gravel, the studded tyres rip up the gravel.

MHjerpe
7th February 2007, 23:39
It's snowing like crazy in the Karlstad region.. and have done that for some hours... so it's looking realy nice now...

Slipzen
8th February 2007, 00:09
It's snowing like crazy in the Karlstad region.. and have done that for some hours... so it's looking realy nice now...

Same in Hagfors region as well. The forecast says more snow tomorrow and then on Friday to Sunday partly cloudy or sunshine :)

Viktory
8th February 2007, 11:47
http://www.rallyhagfors.com/sprinten/index.htm

Pictures from Hagfors Sprint yesterday. No shortage of ice for that stage :p