PDA

View Full Version : DTM at Brands?

wedge
15th June 2007, 14:35
Their contract is up for renewal. Apparantly the organisers were too happy with attendance and not pleased that the races were processional.

Personally I don't see much difference with the GP track - there's hardly any large braking zones to aid overtaking.

Personally I would love to see back at Donny or perhaps Rockingham. The Rock would be fantastic, it has all the right ingredients - fan friendly, good overtaking spots. The problem is that neither track could give the DTM the right promotion.

Gobber
15th June 2007, 15:06
I find this interesting as I thought the racing was actually quite exciting with close racing and tactical pit stops playing a great part.

I remember going to see them at Donington many years back and to be honest it was incredibly processional, I think because the track as just too large and they soon got spread out.

At least a Brands it's non stop action and the indy track is a great amphitheatre for racing.

Son of Gobber and I were most impressed.

wedge
15th June 2007, 15:29
I watched the TV coverage a couple of days ago and it looked a lot more exciting than when I was standing Clearways thinking "I shouldn't be here, I should back at home watching MotoGP which would've been a hundred times better than this!" - turns out I was right all along!

The problem is that there's too much emphasis on pit stops and the cars aren't 'proper' tin-tops, they're too fragile for aggressive tin-top racing.

I remember the Donny races being good at the Esses and Melbourne loop, and the days when it was free parking for German cars (IIRC)!

Gobber
15th June 2007, 15:40
We watched half from opposite the large screen at the bottom of Hailwood Hill and half at Druids so we saw the cars both flat out and 'close up' as well. They're certainly not built for aggresive racing, but we still thought it was great.

Pedalpusher
15th June 2007, 20:55
I was standing at Clearways for the race and I have to admit that I don't remember too much overtaking going on. Over taking in the BTCC usually means a bit of bumping, and as has been mentioned, the DTM cars are too fragile. They are however awesome bits of kit, and fantastic to watch through Surtees and McLaren :D

Although the Indy circuit is great for spectators, it seems that if there's a series racing that is extremely quick, then there seems to be very little overtaking, and it all comes down to pit stops. The Champ Car race suffered a similar fate.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the DTM deal at Brands was for 3 years, meaning there's one more race there before the contract needs to be renewed.

PDS
15th June 2007, 21:58
What you need to realise is that if the DTM does not stay at Brands Hatch, the only other realistic options would be Donington or Silverstone!

I've seen DTM cars at Donington and the ITC cars as they were call then, at Silverstone in 96, and I tell you, I would prefer watching them at Brands Hatch anytime!

Brooklands78
17th June 2007, 10:41
I wasn't overly impressed with the racing at Brands but the spectacle of seeing (and hearing!) these cars in action is quite unique. Probably a lap of the Indy circuit at Brands is too short for DTM and there are very few overtaking opportunities. Whilst pit tactics are all part of the race, I'd much prefer to see cars passing each other on the track! As for spectator numbers at Brands, I watched the opening laps at Paddock and there were substantially fewer people there than for BTCC.

Pedalpusher
17th June 2007, 21:04
I watched the opening laps at Paddock and there were substantially fewer people there than for BTCC.

I was at Clearways for race day and there was certainly plenty of room to move about if you wanted. Autosport reported 18,000 were there for Sunday and it would be a shame if Brands lost it due to poor crowd figures.

VXRDartford
18th June 2007, 17:26
Their contract is up for renewal. Apparantly the organisers were too happy with attendance and not pleased that the races were processional.

Personally I don't see much difference with the GP track - there's hardly any large braking zones to aid overtaking.

Personally I would love to see back at Donny or perhaps Rockingham. The Rock would be fantastic, it has all the right ingredients - fan friendly, good overtaking spots. The problem is that neither track could give the DTM the right promotion.

The contract is for three years so has another year to run at brands and the organisers were more than happy with the attendance just the pre-sales tickets they were not happy with

BeeJ_UK
19th June 2007, 16:31
I think that the DTM should be ran on a track that allows the cars to stretch their legs(or wheels :) ). Is people have said they are a lot more fragile cars than S2000 cars that can be very dramatic on a short circuit such as Brands Indy.

The thought of DTM cars coming down the Kraner Curves at Donny is pure pleasure.

Allyc85
19th June 2007, 20:50
they should move it to Thruxton ;) DTM cars trough church? Yes please!!!

BeeJ_UK
19th June 2007, 22:00
they should move it to Thruxton ;) DTM cars trough church? Yes please!!!

That sounds kool, got a cousin that lives about 5.5 mile from thruxton marshal that one with a comfortable bed

Marc W
19th June 2007, 22:27
They were interviewing Jonathan Palmer on motors Tv during the Le Mans coverage and he said DTM will definately be at Brands again next season.

AlexD
19th June 2007, 22:45
I don't think it is as well suited to the cars as Donington.

Ur not a salmon
20th June 2007, 15:15
Brands is such an overrated circuit sometimes. Yes it is good for the drivers but for the spectators it does not often produce a lot of overtaking unless the races turn into banger races. :s

wedge
20th June 2007, 15:55
They were interviewing Jonathan Palmer on motors Tv during the Le Mans coverage and he said DTM will definately be at Brands again next season.

Thats because Brands are on a 3yr contract, next year is their last contracted race.

Brands is such an overrated circuit sometimes. Yes it is good for the drivers but for the spectators it does not often produce a lot of overtaking unless the races turn into banger races. :s

:up:

Seeing a racing car or bike flying down Paddock Hill is must for any fan but for the most part, I find Brands can be an anti-climax.

kali
21st June 2007, 01:00
I've been both years now and even though i love the cars, the actual races are tedious. It's like F1, they get a position and usually stay there for the 82 laps, i was getting bored.

At least with BTCC / WTCC the cars will clash and it provides more entertainment for the crowds imo.