PDA

View Full Version : O/T Roc venue to Wembley next year.

Redmond500
17th December 2006, 15:28
For those peeps on here that travel to Paris for the Race of champions (and I know there are many) will not have to make the journey over/under the water for next year at least anyway.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/6187591.stm

LessThanSte
17th December 2006, 15:33
As stated in other forums, would prefer it at the Millenium Stadium (though admittedly Wembley should have a larger area to work with!), as the whole atmosphere in Cardiff is so much better. Plus they are used to holding a variety of events and the added advantage of the roof is a bonus.

Mind you, its a big coop for the race of champions, getting to be one of the first motorsport series ina major stadiuM!

Anubis
17th December 2006, 17:03
We're assuming Wembley will be finished by then, of course...

SteveA
17th December 2006, 21:02
It might be closer but I bet it ends up costing more to attend!

ROC was great this year, although I admit it would be good to get some English commentary (and proper toilets!)

Just sorting through my photos, here's one...

http://v8.macmillan.co.uk/s_images/special/ROC2006/IMG_3177.jpg

Rusty Spanner
18th December 2006, 10:04
ROC was great this year, although I admit it would be good to get some English commentary (and proper toilets!)

I went to the ROC the first year it was in Paris and have got to agree with you. For what is supposed to be an international event the provision made for non-french speakers was absolutely nothing. Although the my foggy memories of GCSE French did allow me to detect the huge local bias for a certain French Rally driver!

Abo
18th December 2006, 12:06
I went to the ROC the first year it was in Paris and have got to agree with you. For what is supposed to be an international event the provision made for non-french speakers was absolutely nothing. Although the my foggy memories of GCSE French did allow me to detect the huge local bias for a certain French Rally driver!

Because the French don't give a toss about pandering to foreigners. Look at Eurovision, the French only give their marks in French and never in English like *all* the other countries.

Yes I admit to watching Eurovision. Wogan's comments are sometimes slices of fried gold

acorn
18th December 2006, 12:14
ROC was great this year, although I admit it would be good to get some English commentary ............

with english being probably the most common 2nd language, it has to be a bonus for any continentals wishing to visit. chances are, if you're travelling, you can get away without learning a foreign language if your mother tongue is english.

acorn
18th December 2006, 12:40
..........and the added advantage of the roof is a bonus.

Mind you, its a big coop for the race of champions, getting to be one of the first motorsport series ina major stadiuM!

hasn't the new wembley (as it's virtual tour says) got a retractable roof?

i remember attending stock car meetings at white city stadium in london before it was demolished. as it held the 1908 olympics i think that would be classed as a major stadium. and of course, wembley itself was home to speedway's wembley lions for 22 seasons.(or are you just saying that roc will be the first motorsport event in this new stadium?)

LessThanSte
18th December 2006, 13:30
I meant in the new wembley, not in stadiums in general!

As for Retractable roof, um, i dont think so? (going to check now!!)

LessThanSte
18th December 2006, 13:35
Hmmm, perhaps it does then. I was not aware of that.

Still, in googling it, i came across this amusing post!

http://www.joinmust.org/forum/showpost.php?p=180715&postcount=1

Good how, just some 6 months after opening it, they'll have to tear up all their lovely grass to put a racetrack down, hehe!

SteveA
18th December 2006, 13:53
The rest of my ROC photos are available for viewing here:

http://www.spanet.demon.co.uk/StevePics06/index.htm

Yes, the last picture is of a Jet car! There were two actually, and the shock waves caused my camera to "error" and corrupt a photo while writing to the card!

acorn
18th December 2006, 14:17
Hmmm, perhaps it does then. I was not aware of that.

Still, in googling it, i came across this amusing post!

http://www.joinmust.org/forum/showpost.php?p=180715&postcount=1

Good how, just some 6 months after opening it, they'll have to tear up all their lovely grass to put a racetrack down, hehe!

can't see them ripping it up as there's under soil heating. more like they'll cover it with boards and then lay the racing surface over that.

changing configuration looks like a real mess(eg a raised platform over the lower seats for the athletics which takes a week to erect) and all because it's owners want it to be "the best" grass surface. other multipurpose stadia tend to accept a compromise and use palletised grass(eg houston texans' reliant stadium with it's 10minute roof).

if you've got satellite and watch discovery channel try to catch the building of some of the recent stadia(megastructures/extreme engineering etc). it's fascinating.

BobGarage
18th December 2006, 14:24
this rumour came up this time last year (although no stadium was mentioned at the time, just that it was to leave Paris) but it didn't happen.

from what i heard wembley was being designed so that only lightwieght covering would be able to be used for the grass. i.e covering for people to stand on at concerts, but wouldn't be strong enough for events such at ROC.

millenium stadium is already prepared for events such as the ROC. and they have removable surface with concrete underneath.

i'd much prefer to see it there than the new wembley.

Rusty Spanner
18th December 2006, 17:28
this rumour came up this time last year (although no stadium was mentioned at the time, just that it was to leave Paris) but it didn't happen.

from what i heard wembley was being designed so that only lightwieght covering would be able to be used for the grass. i.e covering for people to stand on at concerts, but wouldn't be strong enough for events such at ROC.

millenium stadium is already prepared for events such as the ROC. and they have removable surface with concrete underneath.

i'd much prefer to see it there than the new wembley.

Confirmation from the organisers.

http://www.raceofchampions.com/_press/releases_2006/rel_18122006-gb.htm

And Wembley

http://www.wembleystadium.com/pressbox/pressReleases/Wembley%20Stadium%20in%20the%20driving%20seat%20as %20The%20Race%20of%20Champions%20comes%20to%20Lond on

And to top it all they've decided to host it on my Birthday!

eastlmark
18th December 2006, 23:13
As stated in other forums, would prefer it at the Millenium Stadium (though admittedly Wembley should have a larger area to work with!), as the whole atmosphere in Cardiff is so much better. Plus they are used to holding a variety of events and the added advantage of the roof is a bonus.

How can you say the atmosphere in Cardiff is so much better when the event has never happened in either place yet? When Wembley is finished then the Millenium staium can just go back to being what is was designed for, the national stadium of Wales.

SteveA
19th December 2006, 00:30
Let's not turn this thread into an England vs. Wales thing. We haven't even done England vs. France yet ;)

LessThanSte
19th December 2006, 13:08
Have you actually been to the millenium stadium? It is without doubt one of the best stadiums in the country and one of the best in the world.

By atmosphere, i mean in general. Its a lovely city with a great atmosphere anyway. And its cheaper than London!

Oh, and Acorn, im a civil engineer (or at least, a student civil engineer!). I watch those programs like a hawk :)

eastlmark
22nd December 2006, 23:01
If Torchwood is anything to go by it will be crap. Nothing wrong with Wales but it was just a stop gap after all.