PDA

View Full Version : World Supersport 2007

patnicholls
14th June 2007, 20:32
Last year I did a thread singing the praises of the new batch of riders coming through in Supersport, and it's about time I did again :D (I'm also liking the Superstock when I get a chance to see it, check that thread out too)

Admittedly, it is a one-horse title race this year in Supersport, but now it's a new star coming through as opposed to one of the old guard, with Kenan. Incidentally, if Kenan's gonna stay in WSB (as opposed to go to MotoGP), a WSB round at Istanbul would make a lot of sense.

But aside from the superb young Turk, there's been some nice surprises this year too.

Kawasaki doing well for once (I like them to, but they don't win a lot of titles, you have to admit).[/*:m:3bxrz3fj]
Suzuki getting on the pace with Barry Veneman and also Vesa Kallio to some extent.[/*:m:3bxrz3fj]
The return to form of Katsuaki Fujiwara - although his luck remains out.[/*:m:3bxrz3fj]
Two excellent young names for the future in Davide Giugliano (who was in line for a podium at Silverstone before his luck ran out, was also 6th at Donington - not bad for a 17-year old rookie) and David Salom Fuentes who's had two top sixes already [and is now on my Fantasy League team, indeed].[/*:m:3bxrz3fj]
Gianluca Nannelli's good form should also be mentioned, although he may miss much of the season after a practice accident at Silverstone.[/*:m:3bxrz3fj]With the way circumstances have unfolded (injuries to Curtain & Charpentier, etc), it's really open for second place downwards and there's some great racing throughout the field.

Oh, and we could have found the right place for a Mr A. West to best show his skills too :p

NinjaMaster
15th June 2007, 11:30
Good post Pat. Some things of note:

- the title is particularly lopsided due to injury and bad luck. Championship contedners Charpentier, Curtain and Parkes have all suffered significantly from injury. Robin Harms really looked like this might be his breakout year but was thwarted by injury and Kats Fujiwara finally re-discovered his speed only to suffer being taken out a few times.
- the depth of competitive machinery is improving. The Yamaha looks to be almost on a par with the Honda. Kawasaki finally has a consistently competitive bike and the Zook is getting closer to the front.
- WSS is the place to be for fill in riders with Ant West and Andrew Pitt taking 2 of the top 8 championship positions after only 2 races each.

WSS really looks to be slowly on the right path back to it's heyday. Hopefully more young talent can come through and we can see this series flourish again.