PDA

View Full Version : IRL coming to the Rock?

RGM Fan
13th June 2007, 16:02
From Jayski.com:
IRL at the Rock? Sources inside the IndyCar Series are saying that the series is considering staging an event at the North Carolina Speedway in Rockingham. ... The ovals are currently being used by NASCAR teams for testing. According to the source, the 17 event IndyCar Series, which currently races on seven tracks used for the Nextel Cup Series and three tracks that stage Busch Series races, is interested in the location of the Speedway in relation to the NASCAR fan base. The IndyCar Series currently shares an event weekend with the Craftsman Truck Series at Texas Motor Speedway and according to the source, officials have been pleased with the event there and might be interested in the same type of weekend at Rockingham.(CupScene.com (http://www.cupscene.com/))(6-12-2007)

I love Rockingham and used to have season tickets to both the weekends there. Its a great race track and I think it would be challenging for the IRL drivers to race on. There is a hard core group of Rockingham fans that would support any race on the track.

The problem I have with this is I think the IRL needs go its own way. I'm tired of seeing them trying to attach themselves to NASCAR fan and hitting up old CART venues. I think NASCAR fan has said numerous times he's not interested in watching what the IRL has to offer.

Also Rockingham has no staff and no promoters. They're going to have to work to get the word out and compete with four major NASCAR races within a two hour's drive of the track. I think it looks good on paper, and I certainly go if I had free tickets, but I don't know about it working so well in reality.

BobbyC
14th June 2007, 02:46
It would probably be an NCTS/IRL race and the IRL would promote it, especially since Rockingham is a huge Paul Ricard-style situation (test track) for the NNCS.

indycool
14th June 2007, 03:08
Pretty doubtful. Don't think Rockingham's suited for Indy cars and the trucks have plenty of other places to run down there. Also, don't think the IRL seems very interested in being promoters. Angstadt was quoted out of Texas as saying the schedule would look pretty much the same as '07.

call_me_andrew
14th June 2007, 04:49
I think this would be a great track for OW racing.

I love this plan. I'd glad it's finally being considered.

luke
14th June 2007, 14:42
I wish they'd come to the Rock in Corby! :(

RGM Fan
14th June 2007, 15:28
I wish they'd come to the Rock in Corby! :(

I hear CC is looking at Donnington, Brands Hatch and that Rockingham.

-Helix-
14th June 2007, 19:40
...Another oval?

Stop trying to be a NASCAR Jr., Indy. NASCAR fans don't care about the IRL so stop trying to convert them.

indycool
15th June 2007, 00:18
Relax, Helix.....IMO, Rockingham isn't even getting a sniff from the IRL....same old rumor stuff. Rockingham isn't even really suitable for Indy cars and the league certainly shouldn't want to do another Dover.

call_me_andrew
15th June 2007, 04:41
...Another oval?

Stop trying to be a NASCAR Jr., Indy. NASCAR fans don't care about the IRL so stop trying to convert them.

Yeah, just stick to road courses. That seems to be converting CC fans.

Wait a minute...

-Helix-
17th June 2007, 08:39
Yeah, just stick to road courses. That seems to be converting CC fans.

Wait a minute...

Where did I say go to all road courses?

The IRL could use some more though. Way too many ovals. I'd prefer a nice even amount of both like CART used to be. CART was actually popular incase you don't remember. So going to the extreme of all road courses, or all ovals is not the way to go. The more variety the better.

call_me_andrew
17th June 2007, 22:24
Where did I say go to all road courses?

The IRL could use some more though. Way too many ovals. I'd prefer a nice even amount of both like CART used to be. CART was actually popular incase you don't remember. So going to the extreme of all road courses, or all ovals is not the way to go. The more variety the better.

You said no more ovals because it would be an attempt to convert NASCAR fans, so the opposite sounds like an attempt to convert CC fans.

I didn't start watching OW racing until 1998, so I'll take your word for it.

indycool
20th June 2007, 00:58
I'm sure everyone, particularly on the road course side, is keeping track of percentages of road courses and ovals and will argue them until doomsday on their preferences.

At new places where Indy cars have been introduced on ovals, there have been many NASCAR fans in the stands, like Kansas, Nashville and Kentucky, places where they don't have the stigma of CART/CC. The NASCAR fans are going back to THEIR home track and watching them each year. As far as CC fans with the CW mentality showing up at IRL road races, not likely.

call_me_andrew
20th June 2007, 07:26
I thought that was because tracks were forcing people to buy IRL tickets with NASCAR tickets.

indycool
20th June 2007, 16:51
No, the season ticket packages at one track now, I think, force IRL fans to buy NASCAR tickets.

RGM Fan
20th June 2007, 17:40
No, the season ticket packages at one track now, I think, force IRL fans to buy NASCAR tickets.

A more accurate statement is NASCAR fans are forced to buy IRL tickets. If you looked at the stands at Kansas, where most fans had to buy "Weekend tickets," or "RPM Season Tickets." If you looked at the stands at the start of the race they were largely packed. However, by the time the race got to the halfway mark 60 percent, or more, had left.

indycool
20th June 2007, 17:51
Oh, you took that too seriously to me jerking around a post that's already been discussed on these boards ad infinitum as some CC supporters look for a way to take their shots at the IRL. Season tickets are not unusual at all for sports venues. When you buy season tickets to the Kansas City Chiefs, you hafta take the two home exhibition games, too. Big deal.

indycool
21st June 2007, 02:44
Not really, Starter. NFL season ticketholders grumble about having to pay for exhibition games. A lot more people want to watch the Yankees play in Fenway Park than Tampa Bay. A lot more people would rather watch San Antonio play the Indiana Pacers than the Celtics. But they're all watching their team in their sport. And, in this case, they're watching racing at THEIR track.

pvtjoker
21st June 2007, 13:38
A more accurate statement is NASCAR fans are forced to buy IRL tickets. If you looked at the stands at Kansas, where most fans had to buy "Weekend tickets," or "RPM Season Tickets." If you looked at the stands at the start of the race they were largely packed. However, by the time the race got to the halfway mark 60 percent, or more, had left.

Perhaps, but they really don't have the same luxary that some do like in Cleveland where the Cleveland promoters simply reduced the number of seating. Offer less seats and you give the illusion you're drawing more people to the races.

RGM Fan
21st June 2007, 17:01
Because any time anything even remotely negative is pointed out about the IRL their fans automatically call out something negative about CC. It's their defense mechanisim.

I think this thread has run its course.

Lee Roy
22nd June 2007, 12:04
I won't happen.

http://www.yourdailyjournal.com/articles/2007/06/21/news/top_story/top.txt

The North Carolina Motor Speedway will be put on the auction block.

File Photo Competitors race at the North Carolina Motor Speedway in March during the North Carolina Division of Sports Car Club of America’s March Memories event. Speedway Motorsports Inc. has announced it plans to sell the track via an auction.
Speedway Motorsports Inc. notified Rockingham Mayor Gene McLaurin by letter of the impending sale.

“I wanted to make you aware ahead of time that our company has made the decision to sell North Carolina Motor Speedway via an auction,” wrote H.A. “Humpy” Wheeler, president and general manager of Lowe's Motor Speedway, in a June 13 letter.

The track also known as “The Rock” was built in 1965 and is owned by Speedway Motorsports Inc.

Unprofitable

Lowe's Motor Speedway Senior Vice President and SMI spokesman Jerry Gappens said Wednesday Wheeler sent the letter to the mayor, because he has remained in contact with city and county economic development officials about exploring opportunities for the track.

“We regret we have to make this decision but we really have no other choice,” Wheeler wrote in his letter. “We have been unable to sell it and track rentals are simply not enough to keep the facility running.”

Since SMI bought the track in 2004, Rockingham's final race date was moved to the Texas Motor Speedway also owned by SMI. The 1.017-mile oval has since been used by NASCAR drivers for testing and for a variety of special events and movies.

No date has been set for the auction. “We've had some meetings with an auction company,” Gappens said. A fall auction date is anticipated.

McLaurin said Wednesday the community has been concerned about the track's fate since the loss of the Nextel race. “It's a situation where we may have to wait and see,” he said.

“We'll follow the situation closely and hope it's not someone who wants to dismantle the facility,” McLaurin said. He hopes an entrepreneur with a vision for it buys the facility.

Richmond County Development Director Rick Sago said, “I really don't know if this is a positive or a negative.”

Sago, who has been working with the Bring Back the Rock committee aimed at promoting racing at the track, said he believes there could be some type of race here.

The future of the facility hinges on who buys it, he said.

After researching potential uses for the facility, Gappens said “nothing feasible” was available. “NASCAR has no interest going there,” he said.

Recent rumors about an Indy Racing League event at the track are just rumors. “No one has contacted us about using it,” Gappens said.

Wheeler also emphasized other races had been investigated.

“As I have stated in the past, we think it is unpractical for us to attempt other types of races there such as Busch or Craftsman Trucks,” Wheeler wrote. “We believe they too, as stand alone events, will be significantly unprofitable.”

Other options

In preparation for the sale, Gappens said they'll be putting together information about the property and marketing material for the auction. Gappens said the entire property will be auction. “It's a turnkey proposition.”

No date has been set and all potential uses are speculative.

There are options for the property.

Motorsports events at the track are difficult, Gappens said because it's difficult to run races that could be profitable.

“There may be something out there that we don't know about,” he said. “It's a nice piece of property.”

Gappens said there has been a lot of work behind the scenes to find a use for the facility.

Manufacturing is an option, but Gappens said there has not been much success. “We've spoke to different manufacturers,” he said citing an auto test track as a proposed use for the facility.

Sago said the property is 247 acres and is in the highway-commercial zoning district. The property has water, but no sewer service. Sago said it has a septic tank system.

Gappens said the track has been upgraded and maintained over the years.

“It's there and ready to be utilized,” he said.

McLaurin commended SMI for their maintenance of the track.

“One thing is for certain,” he said. “This community is proud of its relationship with NASCAR and racing.”

McLaurin said he hopes the community can continue its relationship with the new owner to make Rockingham a great destination for racing.

Success at the track can happen. Gappens cited the success of Rockingham Dragway just across the highway from the track.

“Steve's done a great job of making it active,” he said of the events at the dragway.

The Rock

Many details are still undecided, like what will happen to the rock bearing the names of past winners. Even though the track hasn't hosted a race since 2004, people still stop by the rock to take a photo.

Gappens said they haven't gotten into that kind of detail yet. It may be donated to the community or may go to the NASCAR Hall of Fame, he said.

Mark in Oshawa
25th June 2007, 22:47
I don't think the IRL would draw at the "Rock". It would be the height of arrogance for IRL managment to think they could draw fans in NASCAR land when the Cup dates there were not selling out. I do think the CTS or Busch boys could draw there once or twice a year, but no one seems interested in making it happen, I have my doubts that the IRL should be taken seriously if they do there. That, and I don't think the racing would be as good.....

indycool
28th June 2007, 03:26
I don't think the IRL ever thought about running at Rockingham. At least, Gappens' quote in the story would indicate that.