PDA

View Full Version : Here's hoping for more

car20
13th June 2007, 12:11
Have been thinking about the plight the series has been in the past 2 seasons and my own conclusions is that it has tried to do too much too soon!

1- ask any race fan about Rockingham track itself and it does'nt get much happy talk because its an oval in concept i love it myself nothing can rival the views and facilities, most other tracks are nothing more than shocking (i ant naming my worst)

But more to the fact is it's new, we in this country like our history footy fans hate it when their team move to a new stadium citing that they lose what they are.

2-oval racing ai'nt held in high regard in the u.k,even less than in the motor media, reagrded as boring, if it ain't open wheel it ai'nt going to be reported on.(in my view)

3-history for v8 trophy hasn't been grown, it's been thrust upon from the outset,to get people involved a bucket load of cash was thrown at it and for a short while worked but like history has proved that money doesnt always make things work, same as the fans, we all go because we like it but we are as fickle as team owners and will come and go.

my own thinking is that to be held in regard that it will take around 10 years to get to the point that everyone wants and i am sorry but i see theseries as a club event now I STILL LIKE IT but like everyone els is as FRUSTRTED AS everyone else that those with cars choose to not run them ,

its the old chicken and egg story, not many cars not many fans and sponsors and interest, not much money and not many cars Can't win eh.

here's hoping for more cars in june and more drivers to take the plunge in the series.

Tiesse
13th June 2007, 15:00
Personally I feel that this season is showing a lot more promise than last season. It can't get much worse than when there were only 6 cars competing at one point last year. The saving grace for Rockingham last year was without doubt the pick up trucks & the extra efforts of the likes of Colin White & John Steward to get more cars out racing.

This year however there seems to be a much more positive buzz than last year.

Lets face facts though, the series is never going to have a BTCC level of interest & the sheer scale of the circuit's facilities means that a reasonable turnout can still look poor to the eye (I didn't realise just how many were at the BTCC meeting when I went in April as it wasn't any where near capacity).

With the charities now involved, hopefully everyone can do their bit, even if it is something as simple as bringing a friend along for the experience. Who knows, that friend may get hooked & decide to bring a friend & so on......

R3ROK
13th June 2007, 15:31
With the charities now involved, hopefully everyone can do their bit, even if it is something as simple as bringing a friend along for the experience. Who knows, that friend may get hooked & decide to bring a friend & so on......

...100% agree! IMO there is nothing better than the people that attend the meetings spreading the word themselves. I would agree with Tiesse when he mentioned about how so many people looked so few when at Rockingham....it's such a big place to fill, even 10k people would look lost if all of the stands were opened up ;) I also agree that the general feeling this season does seem more positive than last season.

I think we should encourage drivers from other formulas to come and take a look at the PUT's and SCSA's, not just getting the crowds in. I know budgets are tight for all forms of motorsport but you never know, it might just work.

Duane
14th June 2007, 21:28
Car 20, i dont know if we know each other but you mirror my thoughts almost 100%, we are currently working with people who want to be in the series and not those Rockingham of the past would of liked, Carl Bordly being one of those who wants to be and Colin White has a few more interested too.

These are the guy's that should of been worked with from the start, imho.

on the non-plus side car numbers will only be at 10 for june, unless a very big rabbit can be pulled........ but for july we have a possible 14-16 cars all being well with far more interest right now than i can remember for a long time.

yes i know its all been said before but i can only state on here what i believe to be true.

Duane

car20
14th June 2007, 21:38
kind of answers my question about pete!!!

their seems to be interest from drivers, but what seems to be the sticking point of them entering the series, money would be my 1st thought but i wouldnt think that v8's would compare any less than others cost wise to hire car's for racing as we only have 5 weekends ??? just a thought of a interested mind :)

Duane
14th June 2007, 21:53
Rookie testing and having the right credentials to suit MSA regs (Miguel being one)

when you explain how much it costs to run most admit to spending more doing other series.......the interest is there believe me, espesially the way we are now !!!!!!!

Duane

bravheart
14th June 2007, 23:24
I thought that this may be of interest to all you V8 Trophy/SCSA Fan's! earlier this week I have been chatting with someone who will all remember from the 2004 Days Of Thunder championship by the name of Steve Hobday,
Steve told me that he will be coming to Rockingham in June to have a natter with all the drivers and to see what updates he requires on his race car with a view to joining us on the track in July!

Im sure you will all agree! Steve will be a welcome face back into the series!

Tiesse
15th June 2007, 07:41
I thought that this may be of interest to all you V8 Trophy/SCSA Fan's! earlier this week I have been chatting with someone who will all remember from the 2004 Days Of Thunder championship by the name of Steve Hobday,
Steve told me that he will be coming to Rockingham in June to have a natter with all the drivers and to see what updates he requires on his race car with a view to joining us on the track in July!

Im sure you will all agree! Steve will be a welcome face back into the series!

That's good news. THE MORE THE MERRIER!

Nick Brad
21st June 2007, 11:02
We're limited on what drivers can enter due to MSA regs which is killing our chances to swell the grid. Short circuit formulas aren't recognised and so the likes of Carl Boardley are expected to start from the bottom like a novice driver. Another stumbling point is the red tape preventing foreign drivers from entering, Miguel will not be able to race yet again which is a big disappointment because he wasn't able to complete his ARDS course on time. If he had, I would have been double shifting this weekend to allow him to gain his signatures in the pickups. I can only hope that drivers realise how cost effective the cars are now and make the move, I already know of one pickup driver who is considering the switch.

acorn
21st June 2007, 12:37
question- is the ards course the same for someone who wants a road course license the same as one who wants one only for oval racing or is it just the msa not being able to incorporate a distinction into its archaic rules?

Nick Brad
21st June 2007, 14:51
Yep, one course suits all. Needed to receive a B licence, then signatures needed from racing in B category championships before moving up to SCSA.