PDA

View Full Version : The first corner at Indy . . . .

race aficionado
13th June 2007, 00:31
We well know that the first corner of every F1 race is a particular treat.

If this thread goes off topic, it will find itself relocated in the H&H section.
Let's discuss the corner, not who was at fault in something that happened last year.

I found a file I had made of last years F1 Indi race start and I was reminded of the excitement of the first corner.

After seeing this clip, just visualize what the scenarios could be this weekend.
The first curve comes after a while of the start so speeds are high and some passing are on the making.

Imagine Lewis Hamilton, Kimi, Massa, FA, NH and (insert name here) fighting for that first corner.

I predict LH will be first - given that he is in either P1, P2 or P3.

I've posted the video at this YouTube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxd3xJo_2fk

:s mokin:

Hawkmoon
13th June 2007, 04:26
I guess a lot will depend on who qualified where and whether or not Alonso actually goes through turn 1 and not over it. :D

I'll make one prediction though. Whomever leads into turn 2 will win the race.

Roamy
13th June 2007, 05:30
I will go with Hawkmoon

Valve Bounce
13th June 2007, 06:41
Great vid. Now I'll have to get up at 3 am to watch the start :(

Is overtaking very difficult at Injunapolis?

Storm
13th June 2007, 12:07
T1 is the best place to overtake VB...but if you are close enough on the last 2 corners then the slingshot can make you go past a driver with ease on the straight itself....

I remember Alesi passing TWO cars in 1 go on the straight few years ago :up:

ioan
13th June 2007, 13:54
I remember Alesi passing TWO cars in 1 go on the straight few years ago :up:

Those were days that seem to never come again! Not in F1.

Trqster
13th June 2007, 14:10
For sure it'll be a hot start! Let's just hope Alonso will switch off 1st corner kamikaze mode this time...

Flat.tyres
13th June 2007, 15:26
For sure it'll be a hot start! Let's just hope Alonso will switch off 1st corner kamikaze mode this time...

hes tried it twice this year and fcked up so will probably be praying for 3rd time lucky. whatever happens, i cannot see him taking a back step and reckon he will take his team mate off once this year just to prove he has the biggest balls.

everyone knew schumacher wouldnt give ground and it served him well during his career so expect the same from Alonso.

edv
13th June 2007, 16:04
Takuma Sato will overtake both Jensen Button and Rubens on the front straight, assuming he starts behind them, while honda executives twirl in disbelief.

Ralf will pass nobody on the front straight.

race aficionado
14th June 2007, 00:23
Hopefully Scott Speed will make it past the first 2 corners and be a part of his countries F1 Grand Prix.

Still waiting for Scott to make his country notice.

Valve Bounce
14th June 2007, 02:52
Hopefully Scott Speed will make it past the first 2 corners and be a part of his countries F1 Grand Prix.

Still waiting for Scott to make his country notice.

Scott has had some terrible luck this year. Let's hope it improves.
First corner Melee is always dreadful, and it's luck of the draw sometimes as to who will survive the carnage, who has flat tires and broken front wings, and who get's pranged out of the race. :(

Hawkmoon
14th June 2007, 04:32
Ralf will pass nobody on the front straight.

There's a concrete wall with which Ralf likes to get reacquainted with each year. I'm sure he fancies it or something.

wmcot
14th June 2007, 07:56

Look back at the 2004 video if you have it - FA made a kamikaze move into 3rd at the first turn! I doubt he'll change his style.

leopard
14th June 2007, 11:19
...Imagine Lewis Hamilton, Kimi, Massa, FA, NH and (insert name here) fighting for that first corner.

I've posted the video at this YouTube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxd3xJo_2fk

Based on the video, whoever lead the first corner, Massa will take it over and win the whole race (as long as the red and green light are clearly visible).

race aficionado
17th June 2007, 00:56
We well know that the first corner of every F1 race is a particular treat.

OK, my prediction just got easier here.
LH will hold on to that first place after the first two turns.
It will be great to see the scrambling behind him and also who tries to actually overtake him.

aryan
17th June 2007, 08:00
OK, my prediction just got easier here.
LH will hold on to that first place after the first two turns.
It will be great to see the scrambling behind him and also who tries to actually overtake him.

I think (based on who was on top of the time sheets at Q2) that Alonso might be a tad lighter, and that might enable him to get a better start.

But even if that happens, I think Lewis has a very good chance of winning this race. If he doesn't bump into the wall. Why does he feel the need to go that close to the wall?

It shows that he has his own very distnctive and surely pre-thought-out oval-racing style. Very interesting, for someone who has never raced in an oval before.

race aficionado
19th June 2007, 04:15
Well, here is the actual first corner at Indy this year.

Nortice FA's aggresiveness as he tries to take the front - hey, the man tried!

and also you can see RS's handywork.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOBiFnofRyw

race aficionado
19th June 2007, 14:22
I messed up my You Tube link.

go for this one to see the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEeBkaOB588