PDA

View Full Version : Nicky Hayden

NinjaMaster
12th June 2007, 12:47
I am starting to really feel sorry for Nicky. Well, as sorry as you can feel for someone earning millions travelling the globe racing motorcycles.

Hayden's title defence has been a complete disaster from the word go. The Honda was really behind the 8-ball at the start and being primarily designed for Pedrosa means that Nicky was really defeated before the season even started. I really hope that Honda can find a solution that gives Hayden a chance to be at least top 5 competitive because he at least deserves that much after winning the title back to Honda last year. I'm also getting sick of hearing people bag him saying that he is crap, a hack and other garbage. He isn't. Most of them are just Rossi lovers who can't handle that Vale isn't champion anymore. Nicky isn't the best rider in the field but he is a damn sight better than his performance this year has shown.

jim mcglinchey
12th June 2007, 13:46
Interestingly, or not, since the Doohan years three guys have won the championship, who werent called Rossi, and they all did nothing in the year(s) that followed, Criville, Kenny Jr and Nicky. Maybe the fire just goes out iof them once theyve acheived their life time goal.

fatman
12th June 2007, 13:52
The same can be said for Melandri (apart from having a title defence ont he go). The honda in general is no where except for the one Pedrosa is riding.

You would expect Honda to at least look like they are trying to make Hayden go faster. It seems they don't really care about having the champion on their bike unless his name is Dani and or is from Spain.

maxu05
12th June 2007, 16:14
I really don't think Nicky is up to it. Sure, he got the title last year, but, I don't think he will ever challenge for it again. Stoner, Vale, Dani are the dudes that lay it on the line every week. Nicky played it safe last year and racked up the points, but, I like to see a rider go out and hang it on the line. The ballsiest rider in this respect has to be Elias, if only he could stay on the bloody thing, he would be the champ. Oh, blah,blah blah (the old man is blethering again) :laugh:

Corny
12th June 2007, 16:50
I think that 800 is simply not made for his style..

A ducati would do good for Nicky, I'm sure he would be faster than Capirossi

Silver
12th June 2007, 18:55
No doubt Honda could do more for Hayden, but he has to help himself. BOTH Gresini Hondas are in front of him in the title race at the moment, and they're a satellite team.

patnicholls
12th June 2007, 21:05
When you think about it, the situation last year and then this year for Honda is pretty bizarre.

Last year was the final year of the 990s - so they get working on a chassis that will form the basis of this year's 800cc bike, styled more like a 250cc bike and thus better suited to Dani, but give it Nicky to develop (who comes from a superbike and originally before that, dirt track racing - the exact opposite of Dani). Meanwhile Dani, a class rookie last year, is given the 'normal' 990cc bike which would be more established and in theory a better title bet (I'm slightly exagerrating the difference between the two bikes here). With hindsight that doesn't seem very sensible - common sense would have said that it being the other way round would have worked better.

BUT - then Nicky goes and wins the title of course while helping develop the new bike. You can give me "ifs" all you want about last year, but Rossi did have the problems, Loris and Marco did have the injuries, and Dani did have the crashes - they're part and parcel of racing. Nicky WAS a deserving champion. I certainly don't rate him as the best in the field, but last year he deserved the title as the circumstances unfolded.

Maybe this year is where how HRC did things last year is starting to unravel. Dani's riding superbly compared to all the other riders, but isn't any kind of match for Casey or Valentino. The others are comparatively further back than they were last year, aside from maybe Elias who is fast but fragile. Carlos Checa was supposed to have earnt a promotion from Tech 3 Yam to LCR Honda, but he's struggling. Shinya Nakano was tipped by many - myself included - to win races if he ever got a Honda, and he's absolutely nowhere. Marco Melandri has been mouthing off enough about the lack of pace from the Honda, and he's got a point.

That said - this is motor racing, there's a thin line between success and failure...

maxu05
13th June 2007, 01:37
To sum it up, The Honda is a peice of junk, and only Dani is able to get anything out of it.

tha_jackal
13th June 2007, 02:31
To sum it up, The Honda is a peice of junk, and only Dani is able to get anything out of it.

The Honda is made for Dani, and Dani has been receiving all the nice new parts from Honda first, hence his ability to 'get anything out of it.' Immedfiately after Catalunya, Gresini pleaded to Honda for help in their press conference.. Marco at Honda in 08? No chance! :p

The Phantom
13th June 2007, 04:20
It was clear only halfway through last year that Hayden was on the outer with HRC Repsol; I think he's a fool for not taking another seat even though he claimed the title. I like him, and respect his talent. But he made the wrong call.

Regardless, although he's a talent, he's not got what the likes of Rossi, Stoner, Pedrosa and Hopkins have. Even if he'd gone to Ducati for 2007... I suspect that he won't ever win another MotoGP title.

However, he'd go very well in WSB...

The Phantom
13th June 2007, 04:47
And just as I write the above I find this on mcnews.com.au:

Hayden finds progress with new Honda chassis, ends Catalunya test fastest on race tyres

That's all that's written, a separate article indicates that the previous day Hopkins rode the fastest ever lap of Catalunya. Wonder if Hayden bettered that?

tha_jackal
13th June 2007, 08:19
And just as I write the above I find this on mcnews.com.au:

Hayden finds progress with new Honda chassis, ends Catalunya test fastest on race tyres

That's all that's written, a separate article indicates that the previous day Hopkins rode the fastest ever lap of Catalunya. Wonder if Hayden bettered that?

He didnt better it, and suggesting that the MotoGP world champion of 2006 should contemplate World SBK at this stage of his career is highly ludacris.

1. Nicky Hayden USA Repsol Honda Team (M) 1min 42.40 secs
2. Casey Stoner AUS Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 42.76 secs
3. Chris Vermeulen AUS Rizla Suzuki MotoGP (B) 1min 42.90 secs
4. Loris Capirossi ITA Ducati Marlboro Team (B) 1min 43.09 secs
5. Shinichi Itoh JPN Ducati Test Rider (B) 1min 45.51 secs
6. Nobuatsu Aoki JPN Suzuki Test Rider (B) 1min 46.01 secs

Fastest day one time:
John Hopkins USA Rizla Suzuki (B) 1min 41.40secs (qualifying tyre)

2007 Catalan Grand Prix:
Pole position: Valentino Rossi ITA Fiat Yamaha (M) 1min 41.840secs
Fastest lap: John Hopkins USA Rizla Suzuki (B) 1min 43.252secs

Mach24
13th June 2007, 08:28
I think the Hayden championship was a soft championship but you can not win without skill and ability.

Nicky is a solid rider but I believe Honda have moved in the right direction with Pedrosa.

I am confident Nicky will move on at the completion of this contract, end of 08' I believe.

Hayden must beat his team mate, forget everybody else at the moment!

Mach24
13th June 2007, 08:33
suggesting that the MotoGP world champion of 2006 should contemplate World SBK at this stage of his career is highly ludacris.

I disagree with you Jackal!

I think Hayden moving up to WSBK would not be a bad move for his career.

WSBK will not always be the poor cousin.

AndyRAC
13th June 2007, 08:53
I disagree with you Jackal!

I think Hayden moving up to WSBK would not be a bad move for his career.

WSBK will not always be the poor cousin.

Moving up to WSBK??? Sorry, since when was that the Premier class. Moto GP/500cc is and always will be the Blue Riband of 2 wheels. I heard somebody on the radio the other day comparing Fogarty to Sheene, people in the UK don't seem to get it do they? WSBK is a production championship, Moto GP for prototypes and premier class. He might be struggling, but not so he ends up on a WSBK.

NinjaMaster
13th June 2007, 09:51
I could see Hayden heading to WSB but not for 4-5 years. He has still got plenty to offer MotoGP though as mentioned, even though there are others who are faster riders than he and I think he is unlikely to challenge for a title again. I think it's a misconception that he doesn't push hard. He is a solid rider who lacks that extra edge of pace to be a consistent race winner. A lot of the problem at the moment is the bike simply doesn't suit, a bit like when Bayliss was uncompetitive on a Honda. He just can't get that connection with it to be confident and competitive but then, only Dani has really been able to consistently do it in the dry. I would be more than happy to see Nicky land at team green in the future.
Nakano's problem is tires. He wasn't competitive on Michelins at Yamaha and he's not competitive on Michelins at Honda.

Mach24
13th June 2007, 10:13
Moving up to WSBK??? Sorry, since when was that the Premier class. Moto GP/500cc is and always will be the Blue Riband of 2 wheels. I heard somebody on the radio the other day comparing Fogarty to Sheene, people in the UK don't seem to get it do they? WSBK is a production championship, Moto GP for prototypes and premier class. He might be struggling, but not so he ends up on a WSBK.

Knew I would get a bite!

Simply because you ride in 'the premier' class does not make you the 'best rider'. (Best rider in that class..... YES)

Lets put them all on Honda CT110's, that will tell us who the best rider of CT110's is.

Never under estimate the riders in any world championship.

Don't see Max dominating WSBK, but I saw Bayliss kick *ss in the final 990 MotoGP race.

Please don't get too defensive, just have an open mind.

As for the Fogarty vs Sheene battle, you would be very short sighted to down play Foggy's achievements because it was in (the most competitive) Production Championship in the world of motorsport at the time.

Corny
13th June 2007, 10:16
Nicky to WSBK? Nooo!

AndyRAC
13th June 2007, 12:04
The majority of the top riders are in Moto GP, though I do accept Bayliss is an exception, he should still be in Moto GP. Regarding Biaggi, not sure what to make of him, he might have done okay this year, as the 800's need to be ridden like a 250.
As for Fogarty, 4 championships are a great achievement and not to be dissed, but because of this the up and coming British riders now aim for WSBK rather than Moto GP. As for Nicky, I think he'll stay in Moto GP, but might now be better suited to the Superbikes.

maxu05
13th June 2007, 12:11
Trick Daddy? :laugh: No tricks left IMO

14th June 2007, 05:01
As for Nicky, I think he'll stay in Moto GP, but might now be better suited to the Superbikes.[/quote]
I've been thinking the same.
Also, there seems to have been a slight change in his riding style from around the latter part of 2006, he doesn't slide the back out. (if that's the correct terminology) I used to enjoy that aspect of his riding.