PDA

View Full Version : Blink

Ian McC
11th June 2007, 23:02
Anyone catch Doctor Who on Saturday?

Possibly one of the best ever, very scary too! Excellent piece of TV, great writing!

CCFanatic
11th June 2007, 23:07
In the US we get the show on the SciFi network and I enjoy it. Sadly we do not get the new shows, as most are a year old.

Dave B
12th June 2007, 07:20
Steven Moffat's episodes are usually like that: fast-paced, humourous, and ever-so-slightly unsettling. :up:

That said I think this series has been the weakest overall since Dr Who returned.

jim mcglinchey
12th June 2007, 13:37
Damnit, I missed it, but the kids said that it was great ...and very scarey.

Dave B
12th June 2007, 14:22
It's repeated on BBC THREE, Friday I think.

jim mcglinchey
12th June 2007, 14:54
Ta, Dave but I dont even have Beeb 3.. and dont get me started on Virgin bloody Media.

Dave B
5th July 2007, 14:42
Dragging up an old-ish Dr Who thread, just to say:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6267680.stm) :(

Flat.tyres
5th July 2007, 15:22
Dragging up an old-ish Dr Who thread, just to say:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6267680.stm) :(

am I bothered?

Hazell B
5th July 2007, 19:35
Sorry fans, but it made me laugh when I heard yesterday.

Since Christopher Eccleston left I've only seen two episodes each series and frankly found it lacking in most ways - especially in the casting. The writing has become lazy (cheat get-out-of-bad-things stories, gadgets that would have been perfect in older stories suddenly appear as if they've always been there and so on) and the characters a bit 2D.

It will be shelved within two years, I'll bet.
Which is a shame as RTD was always a firm favourite of mine after Queer as Folk.

Dave B
5th July 2007, 20:20
I guess you've seen RTD-written episodes then? He invents the most fantastic situations then almost without fail there's an awful cop-out deus ex machina ending, a new feature on the sonic screwdriver, or a convenient temporal shift.

Oh, and he thinks he's being clever shoehorning in a ho-ho-ho satirical political reference. Look, the US president is a bit thick. Who does that remind us of, hey?

It's still one of the best things on the box, but I hope for the next series Davies takes more of a back seat and lets writers like Steven Moffat have more input.

Ian McC
5th July 2007, 21:47
I hope this isn't shades of Bonnie Langford! :eek:

Hazell B
6th July 2007, 21:17
I guess you've seen RTD-written episodes then?

I expect so. My first guess was that they were filming, spotted a mistake in the writing, so rang RTD and said "how do we get out of this one?" and he just says the first thing that comes into his head, however crap it may be.

I know this will sound stupid, but the first series of the new batch was more realistic. Now it's just drivel from what I've seen. Eccleston had to do something clever to escape, and you could tell the writers made an effort. Now, not so. Shame, I loved it.