PDA

View Full Version : Rons dig at Jenson?

Mysterious Rock
11th June 2007, 16:42
from itv-f1.com about Lewis' win

“That makes it a special win because the first win for many drivers, which is sometimes their only win, comes from circumstances that are unusual to the event."

ioan
11th June 2007, 16:53
In fact it sounds more like a dig at Lewis!

BeansBeansBeans
11th June 2007, 17:03
In fact it sounds more like a dig at Lewis!

You must be reading it wrong then Ioan.

He's saying that Lewis's first win is special, because he won dominantly from the front, whereas many drivers only take a win due to unusual circumstances. ie. Button in Hungary.

I don't care what anyone say though, Button was immense in Hungary.

ioan
11th June 2007, 17:29

He's saying that Lewis's first win is special, because he won dominantly from the front, whereas many drivers only take a win due to unusual circumstances. ie. Button in Hungary.

Well going by the Button comparison it can be seen that Lewis win was a lucky one too, which I completely disagree BTW.

You see it can be read in many ways! ;)

BTW Button's win was a lucky one. Hamilton was up there all the weekend.

nigelred5
11th June 2007, 18:17
No contest, Hamilton dominated the field and stayed up front, avoiding all the controversy back in the field. I was suprized by the statistic that Hamilton has yet to finish in a lower position than he started. Sounds like boy wonder knows how to stay at the front.

futuretiger9
11th June 2007, 22:18
Ron Dennis is quite adept at inserting subtle digs in his quotes to the media. I think here he was praising Lewis more than having a dig at someone else.

Mickey T
11th June 2007, 23:04
what i think he was trying to portray was that lewis earned his win in every session over the weekend and was never headed in a difficult race.

he was never lower than second in any practice session, qualified on pole, drove off into the distance off the line and four more times from restarts and there wasn't much more he could have done.

if he WAS having a dig at jenson, you could read that into it, because he did nothing special in any hungarian prac session, qualified OK, but still benefited from bad luck to two rivals

RushF1
12th June 2007, 00:31
Typical Ronspeak.

That takes nothing away from Lewis. Obviously his talent, racecraft and intelligence prove we're in for a treat over the next few years. I know some people have gotten down on him because he's a rookie and "hasn't paid his dues," but the kid has got the goods, period.

Valve Bounce
12th June 2007, 00:56
from itv-f1.com about Lewis' win

“That makes it a special win because the first win for many drivers, which is sometimes their only win, comes from circumstances that are unusual to the event."

Well, it didn't seem like much of a dig to me. This seems to be a valid description of some wins by drivers in rain or catastrophic circumstances, which may suit the driver despite a poor chassis.

Viv
12th June 2007, 06:42
Panis's only win came in unusual circumstances too

ShiftingGears
12th June 2007, 07:19
Well, it didn't seem like much of a dig to me. This seems to be a valid description of some wins by drivers in rain or catastrophic circumstances, which may suit the driver despite a poor chassis.

Agreed. I didn't see any dig there.

wmcot
12th June 2007, 07:30
No contest, Hamilton dominated the field and stayed up front, avoiding all the controversy back in the field. I was suprized by the statistic that Hamilton has yet to finish in a lower position than he started. Sounds like boy wonder knows how to stay at the front.

I would like to see what he can do with a poorer starting position. He seems to have had great success at lower formula in making his way to the front by massive overtaking. I'd love to see him do that now.

I don't see any dig in Ron's words. He's right (damn, why do I find myself agreeing with him again?) While it wasn't his only win, GF's first win in Brazil 2003 was pretty unusual, too.

Dzeidzei
12th June 2007, 09:21

Since then he´s been immensely average. We´ve seen some careers go down the toilet this year and JB is in the top of that list. Kimi is running close behind him, which sickens me.

You have to start producing something quick, Kimi.

ArrowsFA1
12th June 2007, 10:59
Well, it didn't seem like much of a dig to me.
:up:

I don't understand why it should be seen as a "dig" at Button or Lewis (:confused :) any more than (just as examples!!) Trulli, Nannini, Nilsson, Bandini, Panis etc etc.

Ron is spot on in saying some one-time winners do win in unusual circumstances, but Hamilton's not likely to be a one-time winner for very long anyway. About a week is my guess :p :

XR8
12th June 2007, 12:00
Maybe Lewis is one of the first F1 drivers that has got there because he has a mass of natural talent and not as 99.99% of the rest of the drivers that have got into motor racing because there Dads have plenty of money!

Mickey T
12th June 2007, 12:07
Kubica is not from a wealthy family, neither is:

Webber

Vettel

Nick

Wurz (who's dad was european hillclimb champion)

Davidson

and i gotta run to catch a plane...

Ranger
12th June 2007, 12:29
It was a good win, though in this day and age of F1 (especially this year), you can't win in usual circumstances if you don't have one of the top 2 cars on the grid (see Schumacher in 2005)

Marbles
12th June 2007, 13:01
It may not have been a dig. Seeing that it took place in Montreal he may have had Alesi's win in mind. Not a dig at all, just a fair observation.

12th June 2007, 13:09
It may not have been a dig. Seeing that it took place in Montreal he may have had Alesi's win in mind. Not a dig at all, just a fair observation.

If anything, Ron slighted Button when he said it was 'nice to hear the national anthem being played after a long time', or words to that effect (haven't got the quote in front of me). Hungary wasn't that long ago....now if it was a French national anthem he may have a point, but anyway.....It may not have been intentional, but just shows that if a driver doesn't drive one of Ron's cars, he doesn't exist.

Still, charm wins you nothing, so who really gives a toss?