PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the championship this year?

Mark
11th June 2007, 13:05
It's one of the most unpredictable seasons for a very long time, and the championship is still very much in doubt, who's your pick for the 2007 title?

I've only listed drivers who have already scored points this year.

BeansBeansBeans
11th June 2007, 13:07
I'd have to say Fernando.

Valve Bounce
11th June 2007, 13:09
I voted for Lewis Hamilton - where's my vote? :(

BeansBeansBeans
11th June 2007, 13:12
I voted for Lewis Hamilton

Not Davidson?

ShiftingGears
11th June 2007, 13:14
Out on a limb here...Lewis. He hasn't struggled in any of the races so far and he just seems to have an aura of success around him. Also, the Ferraris struggle behind traffic, and I'm sure that more than once, when its crunch time, and a Ferrari gets hit with a penalty or a poor grid position, they will suffer majorly.

F1woman
11th June 2007, 13:15
My vote goes to Lewis to win the WDC 2007, I bet £100 for him to win the WCD 2007 also. :D :D

Ranger
11th June 2007, 13:26
Lewis has been pretty fortunate this year as well so it will be interesting to see how he deals with a change in fortune. But you can bet your money this one will be decided in Brazil. Ferrari are looking ever-more unlikely to take either title.

N. Jones
11th June 2007, 13:31
I want to enthusiastically say 'Hamilton!'. But fortunes can change oh so quickly in F1 that I will go only so far to say:

One of the McLaren teammates will win the championship. [/b]Especially[/b] if Ferrari fail to reach the podium in the US.

ioan
11th June 2007, 13:56
I want to enthusiastically say 'Hamilton!'. But fortunes can change oh so quickly in F1 that I will go only so far to say:

One of the McLaren teammates will win the championship. [/b]Especially[/b] if Ferrari fail to reach the podium in the US.

Reach the podium? They are in serious need to win races, many of them, and on top of that 1-2s!

Mickey T
11th June 2007, 14:06
This Hamilton kid is going alright. his head's pretty organised, so i'll tip him, but won't be surprised if alonso runs his lead down when he gets back to europe.

Imagine how quick he'll be when he knows all the tracks...

Spoonbender
11th June 2007, 14:10
I watched Lewis at Silverstone last year, going 3 abreast round Maggots Beckets. He's a top bloke who will finish top.

N. Jones
11th June 2007, 14:19
Reach the podium? They are in serious need to win races, many of them, and on top of that 1-2s!

I know but I am thinking in steps. As long as one of them gets on the podium it will probably help reverse the funk they are in. I know that it has happened before but I don't believe that either McLaren drivers will always be on the podium.

Shak
11th June 2007, 14:47
Alonso, without doubt. Kimi might put up a bit more of a fight in the latter half of the season once he gets to grips with the tyres (excuse the pun). Massa doesn't have the consistency to win a championship and Hamilton's luck will run out soon.

jens
11th June 2007, 15:13
Hamilton - he is getting better all the time and is undermining Alonso's confidence. Unfortunately don't have much belief in Ferrari any more...

Ninse
11th June 2007, 15:35
Massa is the man, said Mr. Prost.....
And He continues been "the professor"

Regards,

Diego

Harde
11th June 2007, 15:45
Lewis Hamilton

rohanweb
11th June 2007, 17:10
I reckon it will be Lewis Hamilton,

given that Fernando Alonso doesnt raise his game somehow but he drives on grass ;-) / launching the car violently over the corners,thinking his team-mate in front of him, I am sure its looking disasterous first year at McLaren for him

Ferrari's wont be a threat to either championship it seems!unless we see any dramatic improvements!

Priorat
11th June 2007, 17:47
Kimi. After all what has happened is just 13 points behind Alonso

gm99
11th June 2007, 18:01
Kimi. After all what has happened is just 13 points behind Alonso

But 21 behind Hamilton and just one ahead of Nick Heidfeld...

So if a Ferrari driver is going to win the title this year, my money would be on Massa. However, I think that McLaren will be winning both the constructors' and drivers' championships this year, and unless Alonso gets his act back together, it will most likely be Lewis Hamilton.

Viktory
11th June 2007, 19:15
I voted for Hamilton. In my opinion he has proven to be, together with the McLaren, by far the strongest and consistent package.

Zico
11th June 2007, 19:50
Really difficult one to call... so many things can happen/change so quickly. My heart says Hamilton but my head says Alonso.. Lewis has hardly put a wheel wrong so far and has had more than his fair share of good fortune, so hes due some bad luck by the laws of averages... hes overdue his slip-up especially it being his rookie season. I reckon Fernando will get his head back together and go on to win a closely contested championship and most likely from experience rather than being the quicker man. So Fernando it is..

ChickenMcNugget
11th June 2007, 20:40
It's looking ominous for Hamilton, I'd say. He's only ever equalled or improved on a previous result thus far, although of course he can only possibly slip downwards now. Still, the rest can only pray that at some point he scores 'only' a scrappy and error-ridden 4th or 5th place in a grand prix and then begins to falter. Phew. :|

I wouldn't be exactly astonished, though, if Alonso ends up producing a 'Schumacher '03' season and fortuitously battles through in the end. We'll see. The bookie in me would definitely be paying out now on McLaren holding firm for the constructor's title...

futuretiger9
11th June 2007, 22:11
I still expect Alonso to pull something out of the fire. But Hamilton will take some stopping...

stevie_gerrard
11th June 2007, 22:17
On current form, i can't see anyone getting close to what Hamilton is acheiving, however i really hope its a close race and it goes to the wire, i want Hamilton to be tested for the title.

Ian McC
11th June 2007, 22:40
Hamilton has got what it takes, it will be an amazing story if he succeeds! I think he already has Sports Personality Of The Year sown up :D

BeansBeansBeans
11th June 2007, 22:42
I think he already has Sports Personality Of The Year sown up.

Not necessarily. One of the England Rugby Union team could take the honour if we go on to win this year's World Cu....

Yeah I think Lewis has pretty much got it in the bag.

:p :

Ian McC
11th June 2007, 23:37
Not necessarily. One of the England Rugby Union team could take the honour if we go on to win this year's World Cu....

Yeah I think Lewis has pretty much got it in the bag.

:p :

:laugh:

Kevincal
12th June 2007, 07:03
Hmm... I think a lot of you are jumping on LH's family jewels a bit too soon. ;) I know he's great, but I have to wait until atleast mid-season to see what's up... ;) By then, I'm sure he'll have faultered atleast once. Maybe even not score in the points... I am tired of hearing about him all the time though. It's really turning me off to him for some reason... All the attention, and he seems overly confident and smug...I dunno. I admit he's great, but we shouldn't call him the next MS quite yet. OK! :D

Dave B
12th June 2007, 07:27
OK, who voted for Trulli? pino? :laugh:

I've gone for Alonso. Hamilton could genuinely do it, and I don't doubt he'll win again before the season's over, but I just think that Alonso's F1 experience will come into play.

Of the two Ferrari drivers, Massa will be McLaren's closest rival. I'd also predict that BMW will become winners this year.

Mark
12th June 2007, 07:54
There was a headline on BBC interactive saying "Murray thinks Hamilton will be champ this year".. then you read the article and Murry Walker actually says Hamilton can win the championship this year.

call_me_andrew
12th June 2007, 07:56
I voted for Sato.

Mostly out of pitty.

Dave B
12th June 2007, 18:16
There was a headline on BBC interactive saying "Murray thinks Hamilton will be champ this year".. then you read the article and Murry Walker actually says Hamilton can win the championship this year.
So it's not just Autosport who can render a quote unrecognisable when translating it into a headline...

Corny
12th June 2007, 18:23
Where is Albers in your poll :P

CrazyJ
12th June 2007, 20:59
IMO after everything is said and done Alonso will be on top.

ArrowsFA1
13th June 2007, 08:14
I've gone for Alonso. Hamilton could genuinely do it, and I don't doubt he'll win again before the season's over, but I just think that Alonso's F1 experience will come into play.
Riccardo Patrese agrees with you Dave. When I spoke with him recently (http://askriccardo.blogspot.com/2007/05/2007-f1-season.html) this is what he had to say on how the season will shape up:

Everyone is saying Hamilton could win the title, or Massa or Raikkonen, but I think Alonso, with the experience he has and with the talent he has, is the man who has the best chance. Of course McLaren are performing very well. Hamilton looks very quick and consistent but Alonso has the experience of all the circuits - Hamilton will now be racing on circuits he has never seen before - and will manage the pressure of the championship over the whole season. These things could make the difference and I think Alonso will be champion.
But...the point he makes about Hamilton racing on circuits he doesn't know was rather blown out of the water in Canada, and given his performances so far you have to wonder if he might just sneak the title from under his team-mates nose :eek:

ioan
13th June 2007, 14:17
OK, who voted for Trulli? pino? :laugh:

The only answer I could come up, after seeing his chances, was pino! :D

Flat.tyres
13th June 2007, 15:21
well, were just over a 1/3 into the season and the rookie has gone from 3rd, to 2nd, to 1st. the boy obviously has a phobia about not standing on a podium.

there's 110 points maximum on offer and everything to play for but you have to say that its going to be hard for ferrari to regather and make significant inroads. Kimi in partiular has a mountain to climb because there are 5 drivers that are capable of consistently finishing above him.

for the same reason, its unlikely that anyone will be able to break away this year with the points structure.

i would be very surprised if the championship is rounded up with 2 races to go and fully expect the final race to be a fight out between Alonso and Hamilton for the title that will probably involve controvacy and the beginning of a Senna / Prost feud.

so, after looking at the evidence and making a informed judgement, i will discount it all and say Lewis for the cup on gut feeling.

ioan
13th June 2007, 15:54
Kimi in partiular has a mountain to climb because there are 5 drivers that are capable of consistently finishing above him.

Name those 5 drivers.

Flat.tyres
13th June 2007, 16:05
Name those 5 drivers.

lewis, alonso, massa, nick and whoever takes over from Robert.

why, would you say there were more. the renaults arent there yet but might come good later in the season. just those five for now.

raikk
14th June 2007, 01:08
Lewis Hamilton! I BELIVE! Go LEW!

tacksharp
14th June 2007, 01:36
Lewis Hamilton. Alonso's experience and speed combined with McLaren's reliability this year should still make him the favorite, but Hamilton clearly has the mental edge.

There is no pressure for Hamilton to win the WDC this year. Alonso however was used to battling Schumacher, and his mind clearly cannot fathom how a rookie is beating him (thus his whining interviews). Hamilton has been happy to finish races in second place (to whomever), and that high-points-paying consistency is why he is leading the championship. Alonso cannot stand being behind Hamilton, and it seems to affect his mental game, so I think he will only win the WDC if he can consistently out-qualify Hamilton the rest of the season. Besides his outright speed, Hamilton is a phenom because he is mentally so strong. Edge => Hamilton.

I'm rather enjoying seeing Alonso and Raikkonen struggle a bit this year.

Best season in years!

tacksharp
14th June 2007, 01:40
I voted for Sato.
Mostly out of pitty.

No need to pity Sato. He is a Formula One race car driver. He pities you.

Thor
14th June 2007, 02:21
Lewis Hamilton 2007 and 2008.Heikki Kovalainen 2009

Garry Walker
16th June 2007, 13:00
Alonso, without doubt. Kimi might put up a bit more of a fight in the latter half of the season once he gets to grips with the tyres (excuse the pun). Massa doesn't have the consistency to win a championship and Hamilton's luck will run out soon.

Viva Alonso? LOL.

Hamiltons luck - He has outperformed Alonso clearly in 3 races already, was equal in one and had teamorders in the 2 other races. Not looking that good for FA, is it.

That is the usual practise in media, done almost always. That confuses many people, if they dont actually bother to read the whole article through carefully. A good example of that is DCs supposed "I will win this year" quote, which he actually has never said.

Heikki Kovalainen 2009

:rotflmao:

I will refrain from guessing who exactly will it be at this point, but it will be between McLaren drivers. The Ferrari is unfortunately a dog of a car at the moment, compared to McLaren anyway.