PDA

View Full Version : Well done Taku

Spoonbender
10th June 2007, 20:26
What a drive, lovely overtake of Alonso and..... put's the rest of the Hondas to shame. Even Davidsons Super Aguri finished in front of Barrichello. Sme serious questions need to be asked by Honda

VkmSpouge
10th June 2007, 20:30
It was a brilliant drive by Sato towards the end. The Honda engine clearly has got some grunt and he made short work of Fernando Alonso and Ralf Schumacher, despite being in a year old car.

truefan72
10th June 2007, 20:35
Yes Congrats.

The image of those two Super Aguri Fans as he overtook alonso were priceless!

Somebody
10th June 2007, 21:00
Indeed. Even granted that he had the better car (!!) and tyres underneath him at that point, most drivers would have been content to sit behind Ralf, let alone going for & getting FA after passing Ralf.

Completely deserved those points for that alone.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th June 2007, 21:13
He deserved this after all the stick he has got over the years. :up:

Robinho
10th June 2007, 21:23
great drive, some great overtakes and getting some positive attention these days too, god stuff Taku :up: seems to me he's managed to lose the erraticness and accident prone side to his driving, but kept the speed and agression, which is no mean feat

N. Jones
10th June 2007, 21:24
Well done, indeed. Passing a Mclaren with a year and a half-old team? I don't ever remember dear old Minardi doing that!

dont_be_jack
10th June 2007, 21:50
Great overtake there, wasn't it?! I loved it!

race aficionado
10th June 2007, 22:05
Sato's got the balls and today he also had the car.

That was fun to watch.

:)

Randall Flagg
10th June 2007, 22:06
Thumbs up to Taku for his superb effort, showing his speed after building up his unfortunate reputation of a destructive car breaker. My driver of the day no doubt.

jas123f1
10th June 2007, 22:18
Nice drive of Taku. Something to celebrate (again) :lips:

fizzicist
10th June 2007, 22:33
That move on Alonso was priceless. One of the funniest moments I've seen in F1...

El Sween
10th June 2007, 22:35
Awesome.

donKey jote
10th June 2007, 22:40
I wonder what went through Alonso's head at that moment - in Spanish ! :p :
:rotflmao:

stevewf1
10th June 2007, 22:46
Even though I support the two McLaren drivers, I found myself cheering when Taku passed Alonso!! It was great to see, another crazy moment in a crazy race!!! Well done to Taku, he is driving superbly this season and Super Aguri are doing a fantastic job!

jens
10th June 2007, 23:08
Takuma has already clearly exceeded his 2005 points score! :up: :p : ;)

Safety car sessions created a mess, but Sato also deserved a good result as he was more or less visible for the whole race. Drove 9th during the first stint. Then during the second stint ran in 6th ahead of Räikkönen and the Finn was in real trouble in keeping Taku's pace! And then some great and aggressive racing during the last stint.

CharlieJ
10th June 2007, 23:13
Absolutely brilliant :D :D :D

I was leaping out of my chair when he got past Alonso. I've always liked Taku, and I knew if he just controlled his aggression a bit more he could be a top flight F1 driver... today he proved me right :D

GO TAKU :ninja:

ioan
11th June 2007, 01:46

Better not post it here! :p :

jso1985
11th June 2007, 01:48
his move on Alonso was absolutely brilliant :up:

ShiftingGears
11th June 2007, 01:52
What a fantastic pass! Was probably the best part of a very exciting race for me. He looks to have improved enormously this season. I hope he wins a race sometime! Could a mod please delete my other thread?

ClarkFan
11th June 2007, 03:04
In 2004, some posters on Honda-oriented sites like VTEC.net were speculating about Sato could score the first Honda win. Then thing backed up on him in 2005 and the combination of pressure and a poor car led to an awful season - by the time the car got better, Sato was a basket case. Good for him for finding his was back and regaining his own balance.

ClarkFan

P.S. And how many ritual corporate suicides are there going to be among the design team for the Honda RA107? No one at Honda can be happy about getting thumped by the 2006 design. :s

tinchote
11th June 2007, 03:34
Great job from TS :up:

I find it interesting that FA has been passed on the outside twice this season (Heidfeld and Sato). A couple years ago FA was hailed at these forums for passing MS on the outside at Suzuka. I would like to read those same posters now ;) :p :

Valve Bounce
11th June 2007, 04:02
Well done Taku - I think this guy is not finished for the season and is set to make some guys look very ordinary with his second hand Honda. :p :

cy bais
11th June 2007, 04:58
Brillian drive indeed Taku - he had me worried that his attempt on FA would amount to yet another Safety Car but it didn't....phew :)

raikk
11th June 2007, 05:01
that was a great overtaking move my Tako.. I loved those 2 Super Aguri fans in the stands.. hilarious to watch.. they even had a slow mo replay.. my god they have to put the pass and the 2 fans on youtube!

waitey
11th June 2007, 05:48
classic move by Taku. Very embarassing moment for Alonso and again fantastic that Super Aguri, yes that team that had Yuji Ide racing last year, is scoring points this season and outclassing the "number 1" team in Honda.

teamsuperimu
11th June 2007, 06:12
It's amazing that he was deservedly F1rejects.com "Reject of the Year" for 2005. The drives he's been putting in this year have are impressive and they seem to get better. At this rate, he could steal a podium by the end of the year.

janneppi
11th June 2007, 06:52

Que? :p :

wmcot
11th June 2007, 07:00

I know what came out of my mouth in any language - riotous laughter (since the wife is a FA fan and I'm not really)

aryan
11th June 2007, 08:34
that was a great overtaking move my Tako.. I loved those 2 Super Aguri fans in the stands.. hilarious to watch.. they even had a slow mo replay.. my god they have to put the pass and the 2 fans on youtube!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Emi2VOBCFJc

Mifune
11th June 2007, 08:54
that’s what i like about Sato, for all the condescending "crashanese" garbage that folk say about him, he is at least guaranteed to knock your socks off once or twice every season.
plently of drivers in the field who dont even do that much.

Cozzie
11th June 2007, 08:54
That pass on Alonso proved to me Taku is a real racer! Well done!

Valve Bounce
11th June 2007, 10:16
that’s what i like about Sato, for all the condescending "crashanese" garbage that folk say about him, he is at least guaranteed to knock your socks off once or twice every season.

I think that Taku is a reformed driver and he has already impressed, in his second hand Honda, in every race this year. I give the guy credit where he deserves.

dwboogityfan
11th June 2007, 11:39
Taku drove a great race. However, was I the only person that noticed that he pitted before the pits were open on the final safety car period. I may have got my timings wrong in such a bizarre race but am almost certain he did the same as Rosberg and Alonso had done earlier.

jens
11th June 2007, 11:46
Taku drove a great race. However, was I the only person that noticed that he pitted before the pits were open on the final safety car period.

Yep. It looked the same to me too. But maybe he entered the pitlane before the SC was officially deployed? I remember that right after the start of the SC period camera showed Sato, who already was in the pits and mechanics were working.

wedge
11th June 2007, 13:15
Great overtaking manouvre!

Not the first time he's defeated a proven WDC!

He overtook Schumi in Suzuka in 2004, IIRC!

BeansBeansBeans
11th June 2007, 13:41
I think that Taku is a reformed driver and he has already impressed, in his second hand Honda, in every race this year. I give the guy credit where he deserves.

Oh, how the tables have turned. In the close season, anyone who predicted Taku would have the upper hand over Davidson was immediately added to your ignore list.

jonas_mcrae
11th June 2007, 14:54

Mierdaaaa!!

rlenis
11th June 2007, 14:58
Takuma Sato was great today. I wonder what happened to that poster who last year insisted that Anthony was going to beat Sato this year? That claim was a joke...

ChicagocrewIRL
11th June 2007, 15:07
I was absolutely SHOUTING at my TV when Sato made his EPIC pass of the reigning world champion. I think my neighbors called the police.

What an incredible race .

ChicagocrewIRL
11th June 2007, 15:09

Scott "Speed" comes to mind

aryan
11th June 2007, 18:04
Takuma Sato was great today. I wonder what happened to that poster who last year insisted that Anthony was going to beat Sato this year? That claim was a joke...

It is not a joke. There are Ant fans around still, who think that he is a better overall driver than Sato. Only that he has been very unlucky (beaver??) this season.

Sato has had the masure of the Ant, but this is his second year with a team which was built FOR him, and his fourth/fifth year racing in formula one. Anthony's time will come... don't underestimate him.

Somebody
11th June 2007, 19:27
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Emi2VOBCFJc

This one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9nWS8cEY_4 - is funnier. They even have Street Fighter II Vs. graphics at the top of the screen.

rlenis
11th June 2007, 19:50
It is not a joke. There are Ant fans around still, who think that he is a better overall driver than Sato. Only that he has been very unlucky (beaver??) this season.

Sato has had the masure of the Ant, but this is his second year with a team which was built FOR him, and his fourth/fifth year racing in formula one. Anthony's time will come... don't underestimate him.

I an not underestimating Anthony. I just think that it was unrealistic to make a claim last year that Davidson was going to trash Sato from day one. I mean the guy had not raced in so long and the only two races where he compete he crashed out.

Robinho
11th June 2007, 20:14
if it hadn't been for the unfortunate beavers i think we would have seen 2 Super Aguris in the points, i was wondering why Ant went straight for the pits after the big lock up, i guess disintegrated beaver will do that everytime, that could have been a lot worse (not for the Beaver though), hopefully Sato and Ant can keep up the giant killing, they are both doing a great job at the moment

93VTEC
11th June 2007, 20:15
Satoooo!
Like many here, I was yelling at the screen once he passed Alonso. One of the most entertaining races in a long long time. Bunching up the field does produce some interesting results. Well done Sato and Super Aguri.

Eyo
11th June 2007, 20:18
I think Sato should get the second best car in the field and then we will see racing most of the time :D

stevie_gerrard
11th June 2007, 22:04
sato, absoultely legendary :up: i dont think i've ever seen a car so low down the order overtake one of the main runners with such ease, it was true beauty. I bet alonso didnt see it that way though :p :

He deserves his place back at Honda for that, maybe they would get somewhere then :p : It really is a dire situation for Honda, and for Button, who despite the fact the car isnt quick, still manages to be slower than his team-mate.

Sato happens to be a close 2nd in my "driver of the season so far" list :up:

wedge
11th June 2007, 22:49

I don't think he's been unlucky, he's made some basic errors whilst under pressure and driving on the limit. Off the top of my head he made mistakes in Spain qualifying and Canada where he could've scored some points if didn't lock up his brakes under pressure from a Toyota.

Valve Bounce
12th June 2007, 03:19

I have posted a report in the ant bite thread which you might like to read. However, I cannot add to that post.

Storm
12th June 2007, 06:34
Really happy that he got to P6 in the Super Aguri....amazing to see him beat not just the factory Hondas but the Toyotas :D

Plus the fact that he has scored twice now (I think?) and another hyped team-mate is no-where.

Dave B
12th June 2007, 06:59
Excellent drive from Taku at Canada :D

He's always been quick, but this weekend he had his sensible head on too.

Valve Bounce
12th June 2007, 09:57
Really happy that he got to P6 in the Super Aguri....amazing to see him beat not just the factory Hondas but the Toyotas :D

Plus the fact that he has scored twice now (I think?) and another hyped team-mate is no-where.

PLease refer to the ant bite thread.

airshifter
12th June 2007, 20:03
See my updated signature for my feelings on this subject!

Sato is much like DC, every now and then he shows a flash of absolute brilliance.

Clown8
12th June 2007, 20:55
Yep. It looked the same to me too. But maybe he entered the pitlane before the SC was officially deployed? I remember that right after the start of the SC period camera showed Sato, who already was in the pits and mechanics were working.

He came at just the right moment, The pit entrance was still on Green, when he entered the pit lane, changed to super soft, then when he exits, the lights went red for a few laps, then when it was green, he pitted again,this time the team gave him the harder tyres, ...... :s mokin: :s mokin: smart move.... :up: :up:, so he used the compulsory super soft only for a few laps behind the SC !!

Clown8
12th June 2007, 21:07
I an not underestimating Anthony. I just think that it was unrealistic to make a claim last year that Davidson was going to trash Sato from day one. I mean the guy had not raced in so long and the only two races where he compete he crashed out.

I agree with rlenis, back in their F3 years as teammates with Carlin Motorsport , when Sato became the British F3 champion, he was the faster of the two, and Sato was more consistent than Ant.

and at their F1 periods together at Honda, when Ant was the friday driver, he seems faster than Button and Sato on fridays, but lets not forget they were running different trims, Ant was doing Qualifying trim, with less fuel, while Button and Sato have to trim the car in race setting.

But i'm sure, like you said, Ant's time will come, of course comparing those two at this moment is not really fair, the team was indeed built around Sato, he is more familiar with the car, he has more F1 miles under his belt, but in a not so distant future Ant will surely catch up, and they will become closely matched.

rlenis
12th June 2007, 21:35
I have posted a report in the ant bite thread which you might like to read. However, I cannot add to that post.

Not really interested in reading a thread that only talks about a driver who I care very little about because really he hasn't done anything for anyone to really notice him. Sorry.

tacksharp
13th June 2007, 06:45
...But i'm sure, like you said, Ant's time will come, of course comparing those two at this moment is not really fair, the team was indeed built around Sato, he is more familiar with the car, he has more F1 miles under his belt, but in a not so distant future Ant will surely catch up, and they will become closely matched.

Sato is not more familiar with the car. Sato drove a crappy old Arrows chassis last year. It was Ant who drove the 2006 Honda chassis that they are running now!

Valve Bounce
13th June 2007, 06:53
Sato is not more familiar with the car. Sato drove a crappy old Arrows chassis last year. It was Ant who drove the 2006 Honda chassis that they are running now!

Very good point. But then, had ant not hit that groundhog.................

Clown8
13th June 2007, 09:00

VERY good point indeed... :o

jens
13th June 2007, 16:05

Ant was clearly behind Takuma anyway. Only safety cars helped him into points contention...

Valve Bounce
14th June 2007, 02:48
Ant was clearly behind Takuma anyway. Only safety cars helped him into points contention...

No he wasn't. He was running just ahead of Mark Webber, and his team calculated that he would have come third had he not hit the groundhog (they thought it was a beaver). Sorry I cannot post a link - just say I got it from someone very close to the team.

I didn't want to post this here because this thread is about Taku, who I felt drove a very mature and intelligent race and drove extremely well to come 6th. I gave him my driver of the race vote!!

I don't want to take anything away from Taku, so if anyone wishes to continue this discussion about ant, please do it in the ant bite thread.

Storm
14th June 2007, 07:25
Ant was ahead of Webber ? maybe only when Mark spun once and went to the rear/mid...I think a podium is highly unlikely unless the team were calculating on Wurz, Heidfeld, Kimi, Alonso etc cars breaking down.

sorry to take it off topic.

Valve Bounce
14th June 2007, 07:46
Ant was ahead of Webber ? maybe only when Mark spun once and went to the rear/mid...I think a podium is highly unlikely unless the team were calculating on Wurz, Heidfeld, Kimi, Alonso etc cars breaking down.

sorry to take it off topic.

I did ask for any further discussion on ant's race to be discussed in the ant bite thread. This thread is about Taku, He drove very well, and I don't want to take anything away from Taku's performance.

I think I made this very clear in my previous post. Thanks.

xtlm
16th June 2007, 03:13
Well, being new to F1....I think I just found my favorite Team/Driver...

I must have woke people up in the apartment at 2AM last night, when the pass happened. I was out of my chair jumping while cheering quite loudly, haha.

The last time I acted like this for a race was the 06' indy 500, it felt good.

aryan
16th June 2007, 04:42
Welcome to F1 xtlm.

Yes, F1 can be good; sometimes... ;)