PDA

View Full Version : Driver of the race, GP du Canada

ioan
10th June 2007, 20:01
If there's a racer in F1 than it's Sato!

Takuma for Driver of the Race! :up:

harvick#1
10th June 2007, 20:03
Sato hands down

Heikki for runner up

Overtaking 3 guys in the final ten laps, including Alonso :D :up:

akv89
10th June 2007, 20:04
There was simply too much drama to pick just one driver :p :
Hamilton, for getting the first of what will be many wins in his career.
Kovaleinen and Wurz, for starting at the end of the grid to take 3rd and 4th place.
and of course...Taku

Daika
10th June 2007, 20:09
Sato. Overtake and overtake!!!

Ian McC
10th June 2007, 20:09
Lewis for not only showing his racing ability but his maturity for leading all the race including 4 safety car periods.

Hell I will open a cold one to celebrate that :up: :beer: :D

Sato for showing what he can do, well done Taku!

Big Ben
10th June 2007, 20:11
it was LH Ioan... even if he drives a McLaren
and how about wurz? he finished in the 3rd place with the rear wing broken... for so many laps

rohanweb
10th June 2007, 20:12
it has to be the rookie race winner Lewis ;)
then comes Sato.. he is maturing big time with that car!
and Nick , who has done a great job for bmw.

the worst has to go to Jenson winehouse!

ioan
10th June 2007, 20:12
Kovaleinen and Wurz, for starting at the end of the grid to take 3rd and 4th place.

The finishing positions are really good ones but they lucked into with the 4 SC. However they also kept their head at the right moments.

truefan72
10th June 2007, 20:13
Sato
Hamilton
Wurz
Kovaleinen

Ian McC
10th June 2007, 20:15
the worst has to go to Jenson winehouse!

How the hell can you give someone worse driver of the day when his car failed to start?

Robinho
10th June 2007, 20:16
Sato on any other day than today, but it has to be Hamilton for a great first win, never looked under pressure, even after all the safety cars, whilst his teammae and championship rival were losing their heads or not at the races

ioan
10th June 2007, 20:20
How the hell can you give someone worse driver of the day when his car failed to start?

The same way he gives the best drive to the one who had the fastest car and the right strategy to not be bothered by anything, it's called bias.

ioan
10th June 2007, 20:21
A poll would be awesome.

Ian McC
10th June 2007, 20:23
The same way he gives the best drive to the one who had the fastest car and the right strategy to not be bothered by anything, it's called bias.

Hardly, you can't blame someone for the fact that their car wouldn't start and if you think sitting at the front for the whole race including 4 safety car periods is nothing then you are certainly wrong.

harvick#1
10th June 2007, 20:23
Alonso had to be the worse driver of the race, 2 time champ runs off turn one 4 times

Sato is in the most underfunded team and blew around Alonso and others for 6th

Zico
10th June 2007, 20:29
Sato
Hamilton
Wurz
Kovaleinen

Yep.. me too!

I wonder if that will be enough for Heiki to keep his seat.. :)

GridGirl
10th June 2007, 20:33
Sato drove amazingly, Halmilton and Heidfeld kept cool head when chaos was going on around them. I'd give Alex Wurz as driver of the day. The bloke had guts to keep driving a car with a potentially damaged rear wing round such a high speed circuit.

And who says f1's boring, eh? :p

VkmSpouge
10th June 2007, 20:35
Driver of the race was Lewis Hamilton. He was in a league of his own today and never put a wheel wrong in such high pressure circumstances.
Other great drives today by Nick Heidfeld who also didn't make a mistake and deserved second, Alex Wurz and Heikki Kovalainen having cool heads and Takuma Sato for his late overtaking to earn sixth place.

Brown, Jon Brow
10th June 2007, 20:41
The top 5 all did very well and they were the 5 drivers who didn't make any mistakes.

Lewis- dove like a veteran and made the most difficult win look easy

Heidfeld- did well to keep alonso behind, and drove just as well as Lewis to keep his place all race.

Wurz- incredible to get 3rd after starting near the back and having a broken car.

Kovalainen- for getting 4th after starting last and keeping his head after being slammed by the media and his bosses.

Sato- for disguising his Super Aguri as a McLaren. Could have got a podium if he had clean final pit-stop.

truefan72
10th June 2007, 20:42
Despite all my recent criticism of him,

I have to give credit where it is due and offer my honorable mention to Ralf Schumacher for coming home in P-8

solid result for what seemed like a dead weekend.

jens
10th June 2007, 20:47
Hamilton - practically dominant win, great job. :up:
Heidfeld - proves once again, why he is one of the top drivers :up:
Sato - made some nice manouvers and was the biggest fighter :up:

Honorable mention to Wurz too. He was pretty lucky, but he managed to make an error-free race and kept up good pace at the end of the race in spite of a broken rear wing.

ioan
10th June 2007, 20:52
Despite all my recent criticism of him,

I have to give credit where it is due and offer my honorable mention to Ralf Schumacher for coming home in P-8

solid result for what seemed like a dead weekend.

How dare you! :p :

Seriously outraced Trulli again, the Italian is a good qualifier but points are only for the race.

mirek01
10th June 2007, 20:59
Kubica... ... he is still with us.

jjanicke
10th June 2007, 21:01
Hamilton could become one of a the greatest F1 racers ever in his first year. This kid is amazing, and there is no stopping him now with this win under his belt.

Sato had me cheering like no other. Have always liked his style and today he showed that it wasn't just the safety cars periods that let him perform. He passed so many cars on track, including a Mclaren. Brilliant drive!

keysersoze
10th June 2007, 21:03
Hamilton.

He had like an 8 second lead after three laps, including a 1:16.5, which was over a half-second clear of FA at that point of the race, who wasn't being held up by Heidfeld. Alonso was really pushing himself--witness the four offs in T1!

Somebody
10th June 2007, 21:08
Sato hands down

Overtaking 3 guys in the final ten laps, including Alonso :D :up:

LOL. Two isn't enough? :)

After the pits & Liuzzi's crash were done, he was 11th. He got from there to 6th by:
--> 10th = Webber pit[/*:m:1xrq36mq]
--> 9th = Trulli out[/*:m:1xrq36mq]
--> 8th = Barrachello pit[/*:m:1xrq36mq]
--> 7th = PASS Ralf[/*:m:1xrq36mq]
--> 6th = PASS Alonso[/*:m:1xrq36mq]
The boy done good, you don't need to make it sound better than it is :)

jonny hurlock
10th June 2007, 21:29
wurz for me, a chipped rear wing for most of the race and one stop, also for sato at the end thats overtaking wanted to see almost beting kimi at the end.

jens
10th June 2007, 21:36
IMO Barrichello deserved that podium as much as Wurz, but damn Honda made an awful strategy for the second race in a row and continues to throw points away...

race aficionado
10th June 2007, 21:44
Drivers of the race:

• Hamilton
• Heidfeld
• Sato

:s mokin:

rlfh
10th June 2007, 21:45
Sato! His move on Alonso was priceless.

Viktory
10th June 2007, 21:48
Sato
Hamilton
Wurz
Kovalainen

trumperZ06
10th June 2007, 22:00
:D Today was HAMILTON'S... got his first win in only his sixth start...

and now leads the race for WDC !!!

CharlieJ
10th June 2007, 23:30
It's gotta be......

TAKU

:D :D :D :D :D

BeansBeansBeans
10th June 2007, 23:37
To be honest, I think all those who managed to finish deserve an honourable mention! I'd have to opt for Hamilton though. Even though he's rubbish, lucky, over-hyped and was handed the race on a plate, I think he did rather well.

HenryM
10th June 2007, 23:49
Kubica... ... he is still with us.

:up: :up: :up:

but sato and hamilton to.

jas123f1
10th June 2007, 23:59
There was simply too much drama to pick just one driver :p :
Hamilton, for getting the first of what will be many wins in his career.
and of course...Taku

Agreed - i should pick up Hamilton (nice drive and first win ) and then Kova because he made a good race after all trouble during whole weekend and Wurz who made a good drive and tog his podium chance .... and Taku (i'm sure he was laughing when he had passed Alonso) ..

Valve Bounce
11th June 2007, 04:00
Up until a couple of laps from the end, I was thinking Lewis Hamilton, who kept his cool every time the safety car nullified his lead.

But then along came Sato, and he wins the Best Driver of the Race when he passed Ralfie (which I didn't expect) and then to add the icing on the cake, he passed Alonso. It's not evry day that anyone driving a second hand Honda gets to pass last year's WDC :p :

Those 4 points he has now scored will be worth many. many millions to his second hand Honda team. :up:

pino
11th June 2007, 05:57
poll added and my vote goes to...Kovalainen :p : Hamilton ? he's already a mature driver and the new F1 star ;)

Valve Bounce
11th June 2007, 06:00
A bit late on the draw, pino - John Wayne would have nailed you before you could blink. :p :

wmcot
11th June 2007, 06:09
I had to pick Sato because Hamilton finished where we all "expect" him to finish. Heidfeld is also a regular on or near the podium. Wurz and Kovalainen were big surprises, but Sato ended up where nobody dreamed he would be. His last lap pass on FA sealed the amazing race he had. He also passed Kimi in the hairpin earlier in the race while Kimi's car was "handling badly." (Only to lose the spot through pitstops.)

pino
11th June 2007, 06:17
A bit late on the draw, pino - John Wayne would have nailed you before you could blink. :p :

Sorry but I have a very busy life, anyway better later...than never ;)

ShiftingGears
11th June 2007, 07:40
Alonso had to be the worse driver of the race, 2 time champ runs off turn one 4 times

Sato is in the most underfunded team and blew around Alonso and others for 6th

I thought Spyker was the least funded team...?

Tip of the hat to Sato. A great performance by a true racing driver. Also Wurz for having the balls to keep lapping with part of the wing missing, and finishing in 3rd. As well as Heikki and Ralf, who really turned the tables on their critics today. Worst are either Alonso or Trulli.

aryan
11th June 2007, 08:14
LOL. Two isn't enough? :)

After the pits & Liuzzi's crash were done, he was 11th. He got from there to 6th by:
--> 10th = Webber pit[/*:m:3k9lfk04]
--> 9th = Trulli out[/*:m:3k9lfk04]
--> 8th = Barrachello pit[/*:m:3k9lfk04]
--> 7th = PASS Ralf[/*:m:3k9lfk04]
--> 6th = PASS Alonso[/*:m:3k9lfk04]The boy done good, you don't need to make it sound better than it is :)

He did better than that. He also overtook a sleeping Kimi on track.

He would have finished 4th, or on the podium, if not for his team's torrid pit stops!

aryan
11th June 2007, 08:22
Sato on any other day, but today was Hamilton's day. His first win, on a track which no debutant had ever win before, under extreme pressure makes him the driver of the race for me.

Sato was pricelsss. His move on Kimi, Ralf and Alonso were worth ... well they were worth millions as Valve said.

Alonso was very good in the middle stint of the race. After the stop-and-go, he overtook from 15th to 8 (while Nico was stuck were he was), posting fastest lap after fastest lap, and closing down on kimi like 2 seconds a lap. How can anyone that good, make 4 mistakes in Turn 1, and have such a dismal last stint (he lost 3-4 positions after the restart of the last SC) is beyond me.

Honourable mention to Wurz.

millencolin
11th June 2007, 09:01
no doubt.... TAKU!!!!!

ojciec dyrektor
11th June 2007, 09:34
Takuma for sure!!
Hamilton for stable very very good performance.
Heidfeld - strong race.

Donkey of the race - Alonso.

Donney
11th June 2007, 09:41
Hamilton. He did his job perfectly, whereas Sato, who also did a wonderful job, benefitted from other driver's problems.

Congrats to both.

ioan
11th June 2007, 11:06
whereas Sato, who also did a wonderful job, benefitted from other driver's problems.

Like Alonso's driving skills! :p :

Ranger
11th June 2007, 12:07
Driver of the race is hard to pick as many of the drivers in the points did so via the strategy of their teams thanks to the SC. Sato, Hamilton and Heidfeld all fight for my choice.

Alonso was a clown today, no doubt about that. But the honour goes to Honda and RBR - what sort of genius decided that both their cars shuld come in as soon as the Safety Car goes back INTO the pits?? Especially as their cars were in podium positions for much of the race. Very frustrating given it was the best chance Webber (given that his car lasted) and Honda had of scoring the season's first points.

Marshall
11th June 2007, 12:14
Hamilton's drive was seemingly faultless for the duration of the race, but I was on the edge of my seat when Sato was driving through the points positions towards the end and couldn't believe it when he drove past Alonso. He overtook some very highly rated car/driver combinations today fair and square and gave us all some excitement, and for that he gets my drive of the day too.

ioan
11th June 2007, 12:26
But the honour goes to Honda and RBR - what sort of genius decided that both their cars shuld come in as soon as the Safety Car goes back INTO the pits??

Maybe they were running out of fuel.

slinkster
11th June 2007, 12:28
I voted for Sato this race. His moves were brilliant and confident and it made for an amusing and varied race. It's so nice to see people finally being able to challenge and race alongside the top running teams.

Heikki obviously deserves an honourable mention for being consistent and finally holding his own. I was really pleased for him especially given the tough start he's had. :)

Ranger
11th June 2007, 12:33
Maybe they were running out of fuel.

But that still doesn't make sense. Logic would dictate that you would come into the pits under SC sometime before the Safety Car came back into the pits. Considering the penultimate and last SC sessions were about 3-4 laps each, why didn't they just pit when they first had the chance when everyone was under SC, and not on the lap when the field started to spread out again?

The SC rule is poor but those calls highlighted no professionalism at all. Other teams got it right for some of their drivers even if their races weren't particularly stellar (ie. Wurz and Kovalainen).

harvick#1
11th June 2007, 12:40
Sato

who else drove a 2nd hand team who only formed 1 and a half years ago to a 6th place finish, while passing a Mclaren with a World Champ on 2 to go.

My hats off to Sato for not wanting to just finish in 8th and actually fight for positions that he earned

Valve Bounce
11th June 2007, 13:01
Sato

who else drove a 2nd hand team who only formed 1 and a half years ago to a 6th place finish, while passing a Mclaren with a World Champ on 2 to go.

My hats off to Sato for not wanting to just finish in 8th and actually fight for positions that he earned

:up: I agree completely. And it gave us some excitement right when we needed it too.

N. Jones
11th June 2007, 15:07
If you go to ITV's website you will quickly find who they thought was the best driver!

It's a Lewis Hamilton love-fest over there! :)

ioan
11th June 2007, 15:27
If you go to ITV's website you will quickly find who they thought was the best driver!

It's a Lewis Hamilton love-fest over there! :)

Well some common sense is being shown in here than! At least for now.

stevie_gerrard
11th June 2007, 22:06
sato definately deserves it, followed by wurz after such a stella job. There is no stopping that super aguri. After all, its faster than a Mclaren ;)

Ian McC
11th June 2007, 23:36
sato definately deserves it, followed by wurz after such a stella job. There is no stopping that super aguri. After all, its faster than a Mclaren ;)

Tyres were an important factor in those last few laps, the softer tyre was no match for the harder one.

Nicos
12th June 2007, 00:08
Taku for being a legend!

pits4me
12th June 2007, 03:03
Rosberg would have been my 1st choice, Sato 2nd, Hamilton 3rd.

F1boat
12th June 2007, 10:45
My choice:
1 Alex Wurz
2 Taku-san
3 Hamilton

Valve Bounce
12th June 2007, 13:01
Tyres were an important factor in those last few laps, the softer tyre was no match for the harder one.

James Allen was yelling that Sato was lapping faster than Kimi.

aryan
12th June 2007, 15:01
Sato was lapping fatser than Kimi for nearly the whole second half of the race.

Of course in both cases, McLaren and Ferraris were damaged cars, in previous incidents.

Still, a heroic job by Sato. Many pilots would have been content with a point and wouldn't have risked overtaking 2/3 cars in the final laps.

Big Ben
12th June 2007, 15:39
But the honour goes to Honda and RBR - what sort of genius decided that both their cars shuld come in as soon as the Safety Car goes back INTO the pits?? Especially as their cars were in podium positions for much of the race. Very frustrating given it was the best chance Webber (given that his car lasted) and Honda had of scoring the season's first points.

Maybe they still had to use the super soft tyre... Itīs just a guess... I donīt really know... I'm sure they didnīt give up those positions for no reason.

Mihai
12th June 2007, 22:17
Definitely Sato-san ! :up:

Valve Bounce
13th June 2007, 00:03
I thought this would be interesting:

http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpass_news_item.php?fes_art_id=31715

Gibbsy
14th June 2007, 02:01
No idea who the driver of the race was. Sato maybe.

STAR of the race on the other hand was....ME!

I had 50 bucks on a hamilton Heidfeld Quinella at 20 to 1. For a return of a thousand dollars.

Yay me.

Valve Bounce
14th June 2007, 02:43

I had 50 bucks on a hamilton Heidfeld Quinella at 20 to 1. For a return of a thousand dollars.

Yay me.

Goodonyamate!!! :up:

Gibbsy
14th June 2007, 03:44
Cheers Valve!

Flat.tyres
14th June 2007, 09:02

Yay me.

only 20/1?

jesus mate, mystic meg would have said you were mad for that prediction. i think youve been diddled but well done anyway. :D

Gibbsy
14th June 2007, 09:09
only 20/1?

jesus mate, mystic meg would have said you were mad for that prediction. i think youve been diddled but well done anyway. :D

haha. yeah, well i placed the bet after qualification because i just thought the time seemed ripe to have my annual bet. (My 2005 and 2006 bets were on Mark Webber getting a podium at Monaco, so im already ahead.)

I thought about a Mclaren quinella but the odds sucked. Then i realised that the 1st placed guy and the 3rd placed guy were 20 to 1 for the Quinella, and i thought the Ferraris had dropped the ball a little bit and Alonso never looked brilliant in canada.....so yeah. i went for it. Couldnt believe my luck when Alonso got that ten second penalty though!

This week i am thinking of reinvesting 20 of those dollars on a Fisichella / Heidfeld quinella at $1032 to $1. On the basis that in the speed traps the Renaults and BMWs look very fast, Fisi is good there, heidfeld is good everywhere and the Mclarens and ferraris might just take each other out. lol. Although that would mean that i have made more than one bet in a year......

Valve Bounce
14th June 2007, 09:54
This week i am thinking of reinvesting 20 of those dollars on a Fisichella / Heidfeld quinella at $1032 to $1. On the basis that in the speed traps the Renaults and BMWs look very fast, Fisi is good there, heidfeld is good everywhere and the Mclarens and ferraris might just take each other out. lol. Although that would mean that i have made more than one bet in a year......

Know when to fold!! Take your hard won cash, go to http://www.getwinesdirect.com/ and get yourself a stash of good wines at a great price.

I bought one case of Baramundi Semillon Chardonnay, at just under $10 per bottle, and the guy said that I get two extra cases of the stuff free with it. It was an Evans and Tate export wine, and it was really good. I really don't think Fisi will get onto the podium unless there was unmitigated carnage at Injunapolis, like the Little Big Horn Massacre. :eek:

Flat.tyres
14th June 2007, 10:34
Ill take the bet mate. dont waste money on the bookies.

send the cheque here. just make sure you pay out unlike VB and his sig (cig?) bets :laugh:

aryan
14th June 2007, 10:43

Yay me.

Good on you mate. :up:

I had a put 20 bucks on Kimi, alas Ferrari dropped the ball.

Where do you bet Gibbsy? online if that is...

Gibbsy
14th June 2007, 13:22

send the cheque here. just make sure you pay out unlike VB and his sig (cig?) bets :laugh:

:laugh: you got a spare 20k?

Nah, probably wont take the bet. i like to think of it as my annual thing.

Valve: Not sure about wines mate. Its not a taste that i have acquired.

Aryan: Bad luck. Betting on Kimi always has been a risky proposition, he is a fast guy, but something has never been quite right. When i do bet it is just at my local outlet. not sure if they do online stuff as well.

Flat.tyres
14th June 2007, 14:55

i dont have a spare 20 quid mate, let alone 20k :D

aryan
14th June 2007, 15:52

Valve: Not sure about wines mate. Its not a taste that i have acquired.

Wine (good wine that is) is like a beautiful lady. It's rather hard to hook up with, but boy is it rewarding after you get to know her. Just as pino! :)

As for betting, I am going to stick with Kimi one last time for Indy. I still think Ferrari engine and their familiarity with Bridgestone might do the trick; it's a now-or-never for them anyway.

Valve Bounce
15th June 2007, 00:27

Not fair!! just look at my sig :(

teamsuperimu
15th June 2007, 05:36
Sato with Hamilton a close second. I swear teamsuperimu is showing no bias. The pass Taku made on Alonso cliched it. Speaking of Alonso, he shares my vote for "reject of the race" with Kimi Raikkonen. Kimi drive was best described as uninspired and someone should tell Alonso that the grass inside of turn two is NOT the fastest line. We can only hope Indy is as interesting.

Flat.tyres
15th June 2007, 09:43

i believe our wager concerned jenson and anthony but you forgot all about that one and had a different bet with someone else.

may I suggest a different sig for you instead. how about "my names VB and im a sig betting addict"

come on man, admit it. your not in control of it any more, its got hold of you and its ruining your life. the biggest step is admitting youve got a problem :D :)

Garry Walker
15th June 2007, 09:49
Sato with Hamilton a close second. I swear teamsuperimu is showing no bias. The pass Taku made on Alonso cliched it. Speaking of Alonso, he shares my vote for "reject of the race" with Kimi Raikkonen. Kimi drive was best described as uninspired and someone should tell Alonso that the grass inside of turn two is NOT the fastest line. We can only hope Indy is as interesting.

To be fair to Kimi, he had brake problems and a front wing problems, so did well enough. Alonsos drive was the sort you would have expected from Sato a few years ago and even a bit worse than that.

driver of the race: Well, Sato did well, but his position was mostly due to pitstops. Same for Wurz and especially Kovalainen, who was a joke for the most of the weekend. So I would nominate Heidfeld.
And also Kubica, he was the only guy bright enough to notice the red light, whereas both Fisi and Massa had blinders on.

aryan
15th June 2007, 16:20

Speaking of Sigs VB, I think we should revive our bet. The DC Vs. Mark having Button as sub is getting boring a bit.

What do you reckon?