PDA

View Full Version : Wheldon's "racing" line?

uncre8tv
10th June 2007, 12:25
Wheldon garnered the (Indy)world's attention this week, and proceded to cut all over the track, including a cut into another racer when he had nowhere to go in a wreck. He drove like an ass, constantly taking whatever track he felt would most interfere with other drivers racing lines. He is a danger to everyone in the field, and should be "talked to" by more than just Danica.

Or is that just his cheeky english style? Has he found a new way to use the laws of physics so that jerking your car all over the track is indeed the faster way around?

ChicagocrewIRL
10th June 2007, 13:01
Wheldon garnered the (Indy)world's attention this week, and proceded to cut all over the track, including a cut into another racer when he had nowhere to go in a wreck. He drove like an ass, constantly taking whatever track he felt would most interfere with other drivers racing lines. He is a danger to everyone in the field, and should be "talked to" by more than just Danica.

Or is that just his cheeky english style? Has he found a new way to use the laws of physics so that jerking your car all over the track is indeed the faster way around?

I don't like Dan Wheldon so I find it strange "defending" him. But if you have ever watched ANY of the IRL races at TMS, EVERYONE drives like that there.
It's nuts ! hehe

I don't know why that is, but it that speedway has a way of making normally sane drivers do insane things. Tony Kanaan was another driver that was all over the place yesterday. And he is normally a sane racer. It's just the nature of the Texas Motor Speedway beast. It's all those multiple grooves that make people race NUTS.

I guess that's why TMS has to be one of the most entertaining ovals out there.

FerrrariF1
10th June 2007, 13:41
I don't like Dan Wheldon so I find it strange "defending" him. But if you have ever watched ANY of the IRL races at TMS, EVERYONE drives like that there.
It's nuts ! hehe

I don't know why that is, but it that speedway has a way of making normally sane drivers do insane things. Tony Kanaan was another driver that was all over the place yesterday. And he is normally a sane racer. It's just the nature of the Texas Motor Speedway beast. It's all those multiple grooves that make people race NUTS.

I guess that's why TMS has to be one of the most entertaining ovals out there.

It's an old technique....it was used by Danica's team owner (Mikey) many times when he ran ovals. Just watch some of the footage of Mikey on the ovals. I beleive his used it at Indy many times when he raced for Newman/Haas. As well as Mario used that technique at the end of his career.

RGM Fan
10th June 2007, 14:40
Its discussions like this that make people think the IRL is unsafe.

beachbum
10th June 2007, 17:33
More likely, certain fans have an agenda.

For the first time in a while, I watched the online coverage at indycar.com which included the radio broadcast. It was considerably more informative than the apparent TV coverage. (pus no Goodyear - yeah) Add in the running lap times, and there was much to learn.

Nearly the whole coverage was from in car cameras and almost no one was cutting all over the track with the exception of Matsuura and Herb who were both wondering around using various lines and were generally hazards. That resulting in one drive through and some appropriate black flags. They had a camera in Weldon's car and it was obvious he had a push that caused him to wash up a few times. Patrick was obviously fast but sometimes erratic, and almost no one would run beside her, including her teammates. If they got a run and could clear her, they did. Otherwise they backed off. TK and others had no problems running side by side with anyone else.

The Marco incident was covered from Scheckter's in car. Marco dove down so fast, Tomas had nowhere to go. Marco needs to have more awareness about who was around him. Scary to watch.

The "big one" was interesting and the radio crew corrected themselves after seeing the replay (which they replayed many times). When the wheel came off, the cars coming up were already three wide. With Foyt at the top and Fisher down at the bottom trying to get out of the way, they weren't going to fit, and they didn't. From the in car, it happened very fast.

In some other threads, claims were made that Duno was 15 mph off the pace and causing big trouble. Partially true. When she was by herself, she was running 205 when the leaders were at 210. The big 213+ speeds for the leaders came in drafts and even Duno had a 211 in the draft. Her BIG mistake was slowing down when the leaders were passing, sometimes A LOT. Not good as the closing speed was dramatic even though she stayed right down at the bottom at the white line (unlike Matsurra). If she had maintained her speed, it wouldn't have likely been an issue as frequently others were running the same 205 pace and they stayed out of the way.

RGM Fan
10th June 2007, 20:32
Marco, while obviously a potential talent, needs some serious seasoning in a lower category. Put him back in IPS or, better yet, Atlantics for a least one year.

Moving down to a lower series doesn't make much sense. IPS isn't really competitive, and they have trouble finishing races. While the Atlantics would be good for him, I don't know how the series would help if he's not heading toward CC, because he's clearly not comfortable with ovals and the Atlantics doesn't have any ovals on its schedule. Sure it would make him a better road racer, but thats not his problem, ovals are. St. Pete is the only race he's finished this season.

I think if Marco and Michael were honest with themselves I think they would realize that the kid is in the wrong series. His talents are clearly geared toward turning left and right. If he wants to make it to F-1, I got to believe six DNFs out of seven races hurts his chances.

Basically, I think his only options are to stick it out in the IRL until he gets better at ovals, or switch series at the end of the year.

beachbum
10th June 2007, 20:46
Moving down to a lower series doesn't make much sense. IPS isn't really competitive, and they have trouble finishing races. While the Atlantics would be good for him, I don't know how the series would help if he's not heading toward CC, because he's clearly not comfortable with ovals and the Atlantics doesn't have any ovals on its schedule. Sure it would make him a better road racer, but thats not his problem, ovals are. St. Pete is the only race he's finished this season.

I think if Marco and Michael were honest with themselves I think they would realize that the kid is in the wrong series. His talents are clearly geared toward turning left and right. If he wants to make it to F-1, I got to believe six DNFs out of seven races hurts his chances.

Basically, I think his only options are to stick it out in the IRL until he gets better at ovals, or switch series at the end of the year.
This is weird. I agree with your post, which may be a first. The only part I "may" disagree with is sticking it out for the year. So far, he has made 2 serious moves that potentially could have seriously injured himself or others. If it continues, he needs to find another series, although as you accurately point out, the options are limited.

What he seems to be missing is "situational awareness" and I am not sure a changes in series will help that. Perhaps what he needs is what seems to have helped Foyt - get away from the family and the family pressure. They are asking an awful lot of a 19 year old. He may need a less stressful situation where he can learn his craft at his own pace.

RGM Fan
10th June 2007, 21:05
I see your point. There was that rumor that AGR was going to field cars for Marco and Dario in CC after Indy, but clearly that never was close to being a reality and Dario isn't leaving now.

I really think it would be a smart move for them to either contact a CC team, Rsports has enough resources to run a competitive third car, and get him in a car for Cleveland if Marco's sponsors are willing to move over.

Hoss Ghoul
11th June 2007, 03:44
Where else can Marco go? He's unlikely to go to Champ Car, and F1 isn't an option. So he'd either need to run in Europe in an F1 feeder series, or move to sports cars.

He'll stay in the IRL and get better, he's really young after all. Strange though, he does seem to be struggling more this year than last, IIRC.

On topic, I didn't notice Dan doing anything much different than he normally does. For the most part I thought everyone was pretty reasonable with their lines/blocking. This was really the first time all year we've seen any sort of close pack racing. Its worth noting that AGR has clearly closed the gap that existed on the 1.5 mile ovals at the season's start.

beachbum
11th June 2007, 12:28
Where else can Marco go? He's unlikely to go to Champ Car, and F1 isn't an option. So he'd either need to run in Europe in an F1 feeder series, or move to sports cars.

He'll stay in the IRL and get better, he's really young after all. Strange though, he does seem to be struggling more this year than last, IIRC.

On topic, I didn't notice Dan doing anything much different than he normally does. For the most part I thought everyone was pretty reasonable with their lines/blocking. This was really the first time all year we've seen any sort of close pack racing. Its worth noting that AGR has clearly closed the gap that existed on the 1.5 mile ovals at the season's start.
I agree on all points. Since AGR has a sports car team, that might be a good place for him. It was hinted early in the year that they night run him a few times. Endurance racing with different classes running at very different speeds would be an excellent training ground for Marco since his issues appear to be situational awareness and confidence, not speed. He needs to run in a series where those skills are more important than outright speed and he needs more seat time.

AGR has definitely closed the gap. Watching in car cameras at Texas, the AGR cars were the only ones able to catch a draft and run down someone ahead of them, and that was true for all 4 of the cars. Three of the top four fastest laps were AGR cars. Castroneves was only 8th quick and Hornish 10th. Even Foyt and Simmons had faster laps than Weldon. The race gave the appearance that some teams got the downforce just right and some didn't. The Penske cars weren't quite as fast, but were able to lead the train and stay out front. the AGR cars were faster, but had more trouble "holding station" (I hate that phrase). Some teams like DRR just seemed to have way too much downforce and were just slow.

wedge
13th June 2007, 13:02

At least we can confirm Danica is she-male!

...she definitely has balls of steel! :D