PDA

View Full Version : Worrisome

Eki
10th June 2007, 10:50
Something that Bush said sounded weird to me. Not for the usual reasons, but for the way he used the word "worrisome". I guess it's technically correct since one synonym of the word seems to be "anxious", but I don't think I've ever heard the word be used in a similar context. So, I ask you who have English as your first language: Would you use the word "worrisome" in the following sentence, or would you choose words like "worried" or "anxious":

"He's worrisome about the Christians inside Iraq being mistreated by the Muslim majority."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,279792,00.html

Ian McC
10th June 2007, 11:05
Muslims in Iraq are being mistreated by Muslims so it isn't a surprise that Christians might be.

Normally I would expect most of what the President said is scripted in advance but with Bush I wouldn't spend to much time thinking about one individual word.

fandango
10th June 2007, 11:21
I don't think you have to have English as your first language to see that it should be worried instead of worrisome here. In fact, it's probably easier for a non-native English speaker to understand why - most native English-speaking people don't really learn grammar anymore (at least, that's my impression), although I think it may be coming back.

bowler
10th June 2007, 11:24
Eki, it is not correct English.

"worried"

would be correct.

or

"The situation of the Christians inside Iraq being mistreated by the Muslim majority is worrisome"

It does not surprise me that a Finn knows English better than an American, as they speak their own dialect, and it aint english

Eki
10th June 2007, 11:33

"worried"

would be correct.

or

"The situation of the Christians inside Iraq being mistreated by the Muslim majority is worrisome"

It does not surprise me that a Finn knows English better than an American, as they speak their own dialect, and it aint english
But some of the meanings (albeit secondary) of the word worrisome seem to be "Tending to worry; anxious" and "inclined to worry", so I don't think it's totally wrong, just unusual or local dialect?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/worrisome

bowler
10th June 2007, 12:41
But some of the meanings (albeit secondary) of the word worrisome seem to be "Tending to worry; anxious" and "inclined to worry", so I don't think it's totally wrong, just unusual or local dialect?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/worrisome

It sounds wrong to me. Both worried and worrisome are adjectives, and technically both could be construed as correct, but, English speakers (cf American speakers) would not say "worrisome" in that context.

The Americans also say " It was really fun" using a noun as an adjective (should be "really funny"). That is not correct either, but it is gaining in common usage through exposure to American television.

LeonBrooke
11th June 2007, 00:12

"worried"

would be correct.

or

Absolutely.

"Worrisome" would mean "causing worry", much like "nauseous" actually means "causing nausea", rather than "experiencing nausea". People get that one wrong all the time, but the "worrisome" one is a bit obvious.

Donney
11th June 2007, 09:52
And since we are on it, what about saying:

- How are you?

- I'm good.

Is that correct?

Eki
11th June 2007, 10:01

- How are you?

- I'm good.

Is that correct?
I don't know if it's correct, but it's very common in the US, however, I don't recall even Americans using the word "worrisome" like Bush did.

Mark
11th June 2007, 10:17

- How are you?

- I'm good.

Is that correct?

Correct in American English, yes. In UK English it's acceptable, however people might think you are American ;) .

- I'm okay or I'm fine might be better choices, or even, Oui, ca va bien :p

Donney
11th June 2007, 11:35
I thought it was an Americanism, I find it strange but languages are always evolving.

Mark in Oshawa
12th June 2007, 20:48
The beauty of English as a language is that there are constant words appearing in usage and tone that change over time. Things that were NOT acceptable 30 years ago now are. In America you can say "aint" and it wont be frowned upon in the way it would have been 30 years ago. It isn't proper English to be sure, but the Americans have adopted habits and spellings that are unique to them, and while Bush's use of Worrisome is not proper, it is part of his folksy speaking style that drives even his supporters a little crazy at times. I think he often mangles the language because part of him isn't really that comfortable still with speaking on the fly and he will adlib in speeches trying to find his way back on message again. Most politicians I suspect do deviate from the script on occasion or lose track on the written text, but no one seems to mangle the language like Bush. That said, that speaking style will get to or reach the average American more effectively than speaking like a upper crust Yale or Harvard grad will.

English is changing all the time, and it is mainly changing on account of the fact most of the world is adopting it for business and technology, and English is flexable language with rules that are not consistent anyhow. It has to be maddening to learn because I know I have had a hellish time trying to learn a language like French which doesn't break rules of grammar. IF Bush's use of Worrisome is bit irksome for some, trust me, if enough people used it, it would generally become accepted, regardless of what the professoral ranks in English Departments in Universities would think.

SOD
12th June 2007, 20:53
"Things that were NOT acceptable 30 years ago now are. In America you can say "aint" and it wont be frowned upon in the way it would have been 30 years ago"

dat's gr8 den, so txt msg spk wil bcum de norm :(

fandango
12th June 2007, 23:02
.....The Americans also say " It was really fun" using a noun as an adjective (should be "really funny"). That is not correct either, but it is gaining in common usage through exposure to American television.

Gaining in common usage!!!?? Sure everyone's been saying that for years!

Fun and funny, though, do not mean the same thing, so it really should be "it was really enjoyable". Some things are fun without being funny, while other things are funny without being any fun at all, if you have the right outlook on life...

Donney
13th June 2007, 10:36
Gaining in common usage!!!?? Sure everyone's been saying that for years!

Fun and funny, though, do not mean the same thing, so it really should be "it was really enjoyable". Some things are fun without being funny, while other things are funny without being any fun at all, if you have the right outlook on life...

I'm sure you have found that to be a problem for spanish speakers.