PDA

View Full Version : Help publicise the V8 Trophy/PuT meetings

on the fence
7th June 2007, 13:34
I would just like to raise the issue of advertising, publicity and general running of Thunder Sundays; we have been attending these events for many years now and wouldn’t miss them.
The attendance at the first event of the year was poor, the lack of Rockingham radio and a few other things than make these days special were missing.
Are the Brscc up to the job, they appear to be lacking the enthusiasm of everybody else. Both the pickup truck teams and organisers, as well as the SCSA team appear to be pulling out the stops to promote the spectacle that we have, where as the Brscc, appear to be doing very little, I may be wrong, if I am educate me.
Advertising for the events is extremely poor, we only live 25 miles from Rockingham, but there is never anything in the local press, and the BRSCC website promoting Thunder Sundays, well my 8 year old daughter could have come up with better than that!
Something needs to be done, before we loose these events forever.

Chigley
7th June 2007, 14:39
Would you care to read the previous threads where this has been covered before.

Reynard
7th June 2007, 14:46
As a regular attendee of club race meetings (both as a spectator and from behind the lens) IMHO the BRSCC are doing a pretty good job as far as these kinds of meetings go.

The bottom line regarding promotion of the meetings is money - unlike when Rockingham itself was running the show, these things now have to be paid for along with everything else. And therein lies the snag - do you (the series organiser / meeting stager) put a portion of a not-limitless budget towards the bells and whistles e.g. publicity, radio broadcasts etc or do you put it towards the more important bits i.e. cars on the grid?

It's a tricky balance, but what with the SCSA series under a yellow card following last year, the latter is surely the more important of the two. At this stage, it is prudent not to waste money.

In any case, the BRSCC @ Rockingham meetings still get in crowds that is the envy of many. Most national-level meetings only have crowds of a couple of hundred at best and more often than not it's significantly less than that.

Reynard
7th June 2007, 14:47
Thanks Ian!

I will be kerping an eye on this thread and if necessary merge it with one of the many similar ones on this board.

racing59
7th June 2007, 15:19
I used to be a scathing critic of the BRSCC how it used to be, but now it's going through a process of "re-birth", and taking on operating Rockingham's racing has put them in a position they have never really ever been in - that of being the meeting promotor.

I'm happy that the BRSCC, with limited resources, is doing quite well.
You have to understand that to promote the place like years gone by costs a lot of money, and having no cash rich sponsors behind the meetings, there isn't the money to publicise it properly.

Hopefully, the gate numbers will increase through the work that the teams, like myself, have been doing, and through that, the BRSCC will roll back some of the profit into marketing.

(My only comment on the marketing is that Thunder Sundays sound much better than "BRSCC Racing @ Rockingham")

It's chicken and egg.

All of us that use this forum could do our own little bit. Short of outright spamming, you could carry a little advert in your email signature for all emails that you send (I use the Team Air Ambulance banner), or spreading the word around your friends and family.

Every little helps (as Mr Cohen's shop says!)

Rob.

Chigley
7th June 2007, 15:46
Filray (Ray),
Would it be possible to create a poster for the SCSA similar to the excellent one that the PuT's have produced. It could then be scanned and printed to convenient sizes by anyone with a PC and printer.

Filray
7th June 2007, 18:17
Filray (Ray),
Would it be possible to create a poster for the SCSA similar to the excellent one that the PuT's have produced. It could then be scanned and printed to convenient sizes by anyone with a PC and printer.

Ian

I`ll see what can be done

Regards

racing59
7th June 2007, 23:17
Filray (Ray),

Now there's a good idea.

Ian, I could get them put up all over Newbury by my friends in green just off the big roundabout, where the red lorries also park......

corbygal
8th June 2007, 02:22
I'll design one if you like. Already done one for Rob!

Won't be able to print it off mind you, but let me know what you want and email me [email:3tr0sudp]sharonlowen@hotmail.com[/email:3tr0sudp]

Tiesse
8th June 2007, 05:56
Isn't this subject being covered on the following thread?

http://dot.motorsportforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117506

racing59
8th June 2007, 19:10
In a way yes, but here we're talking action, rather than the standard of the chandaliers in the Budapest parliament building...... ;)

Perhaps a change to the thread title (Moderators can you do that?) to become "Help publicise the V8 Trophy/PuT meetings"

Reynard
8th June 2007, 19:17
Done, Rob! :)

racing59
8th June 2007, 19:38
That's better.

Nick Brad
8th June 2007, 21:33
Done, Rob! :)

That's better.

Guys, try to keep it on topic, thank you. ;) :D :arrows:

racing59
8th June 2007, 21:53
Looks like my spotter's radio's gone on the blink again ;)

Nick Brad
9th June 2007, 10:22
No, it's not the radio on the blink, it's all me, lol.

On a side note, I was surprised at the lack of interest for coverage in a US magazine, (apart from a couple of friends on here who's input is always welcome :) ) the article is just having the final touches added then it will be sent off. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to include the trucks much beyond a couple of sentences which was why I originally asked for someone else to write an article up.......

cgs
9th June 2007, 11:22
Guys, try to keep it on topic, thank you. ;) :D :arrows:

isn't talking about something being off-topic, off topic its self?

JDPower
9th June 2007, 20:02
isn't talking about something being off-topic, off topic its self?
^ So's that ^ :p

Whoops, and this :uhoh:

Filray
11th June 2007, 22:22
Filray (Ray),

Flyers completed by Neil Hurle for each charity car
Available from this page:
http://www.v8trophy.com/2007teams.shtml

Regards

Nick Brad
11th June 2007, 22:43
How do we get them?

Edit, don't worry, I answered my own question.

Henry Cutts
12th June 2007, 09:18
The BRSCC Racing@Rockingham website needs to be updated, 2 weeks before the next race it needs a preview for the next meeting not a race in April.

The posters are good just when we get people interested the website has to have enough content to keep them interested and informed. The V8 Trophy website is much much better than previous years. but could do with more content from the teams, race preview/review from each team will keep the website updated for a couple of weeks. We have a lot of good photographers we must have some journalists that can write some articles for the site, look at the Nascar & Champcar websites for some ideas.

Nick Brad
12th June 2007, 12:03
Can the posters be edited please, I've noticed a couple of typo's on Rob's, also the series is promoted as ASCAR. As much as we'd all like the name to return, it can't and if we're to promote the series properly it is important to use current names and sponsors.

racing59
12th June 2007, 19:11
Once again - thanks to Neil for his hard work.

Can't wait for the video...........

Rob.

Chigley
12th June 2007, 23:56
50+ posters already distributed to the local ambulance, fire, police stations plus the Odiham RAF and fire station. Supermarkets and Basingstoke the next target. :)

R3ROK
13th June 2007, 09:34
50+ posters already distributed to the local ambulance, fire, police stations plus the Odiham RAF and fire station. Supermarkets and Basingstoke the next target. :)

Hi Chigley,

I posted to a thread a while ago asking for someone to send me some flyers so I could distribute them around the Leicestershire area (Melton Mowbray area) the offer still stands. My mate delivers Avon and Kleeneeze books around the local villages and he said he was prepared to post a few. If there are any flyers ready in time for the next Rockingham meeting I could collect them there?? or I'll PM my address?

Regards
John

Chigley
13th June 2007, 09:40
See post #19 of this thread.

R3ROK
13th June 2007, 13:03
See post #19 of this thread.

;) Thanks for that Chigley....missed that one!!

Jordygirl
17th June 2007, 20:51
Have spent the weekend at The National Kit Car Festival at Newark and took the opportunity of displaying flyers on our Beach Buggy. Got asked loads of questions and lots of people took the web details away with them. Let's hope my small input reaps benefits. Roll on next weekend ;)

racing59
17th June 2007, 22:12
Excellent stuff!

I spent about 1/2hr boring the locals to death on "BigglesFM" yesterday late morning.

At least four people will be coming courtesy of that - I gave away four tickets for a noddy competition.

Working on more ways of spreading the word. But without Max Clifford's address book, it's difficult to press the right buttons!!

madphotog
19th June 2007, 10:54
A preview of this weekends meeting was forwarded to the local Evening Telegraph covering Kettering & Corby areas. They usually print this in the Thursday edition, every little helps although knowing the paper, they will heavily edit it.

As usual I will be having the MAD Models with me and they will be available for anyone with a camera for publicity purposes, just ask them if I am not around.

I noticed that Tony took his car to a local event the other week, well I have also managed to get hols of the #31 car which is attending the dizzy heights of Desborough Carnival in Northamptonshire on Saturday 30th June.

Duane has very kindly allowed Tarctor Boy to bring the car over with some publicity materail and I have arranged for one of the "pretty ones" to be available to give any flyers out and of course be photographed.

Thanks to Duane, English4ever and of course Duncan Gray and Ray for letting us use the car for promo purposes.

Abo
19th June 2007, 14:33
Don't forget the Wikipedia entry which seems to be attracting a bit of interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickup_Truck_Racing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Pickup_Truck_Racing_season

And if anyone would like to add some driver pages, feel free. I've added these so far, doing the odd one when I get chance:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Wilkinson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Seager
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Dance
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Briggs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Dobbs

Most of which could do with some driver text adding...

JDPower
19th June 2007, 17:48
I noticed that Tony took his car to a local event the other week, well I have also managed to get hols of the #31 car which is attending the dizzy heights of Desborough Carnival in Northamptonshire on Saturday 30th June.
Well done, I actually heard that mentioned on the radio the other day, all helps :up:

madphotog
20th June 2007, 14:14
You never know what will get crowds along to Rockingham, so keep on it guys and mention it at every opportunity.

I am taking 2 models to a local camera club tomorrow evening and in my discussions also mentioned photo opportunities this Sunday at Rockingham with the cars (and of course with the MAD girls). An email was sent to all members of the club highlighting this.

I have had an email from a member stating he is now coming on Sunday with a view to getting close to the cars and taking loads of photos. He has never been to Rockingham before and even if it is not initially for the racing, at least the cars and girls have got hime there (hopefully). All we have to do is make sure he has agreat day, enjoys it whatever the weather and tells his friends.

The more public we get the merrier! :s mokin:

Filray
20th June 2007, 16:17

When did you take up smoking Brian?

madphotog
21st June 2007, 08:30
OK smart A..e, so I pressed the wrong button, at least I can use a mobile!

Think I will take up smoking on Sunday when its raining but at least I will have you and the #31 crew to keep me and the girls in order!

Probably be that I am the only one doing any work as reporting on the day for the local paper! ;) :) :o :vader:

fastbob
21st June 2007, 16:08
are you bringing Kelsey along this weekend Brian?

Tiesse
21st June 2007, 18:23
You never know what will get crowds along to Rockingham, so keep on it guys and mention it at every opportunity.

I am taking 2 models to a local camera club tomorrow evening and in my discussions also mentioned photo opportunities this Sunday at Rockingham with the cars (and of course with the MAD girls). An email was sent to all members of the club highlighting this.

I have had an email from a member stating he is now coming on Sunday with a view to getting close to the cars and taking loads of photos. He has never been to Rockingham before and even if it is not initially for the racing, at least the cars and girls have got hime there (hopefully). All we have to do is make sure he has agreat day, enjoys it whatever the weather and tells his friends.

For the same reason, I have talked my Wife's cousin's Husband into coming(confusing I know). He is a keen photographer & I have shown him some of mine, telling him how accessible everyone is.

Tiesse
21st June 2007, 18:25
OK smart A..e, so I pressed the wrong button, at least I can use a mobile!

Think I will take up smoking on Sunday when its raining but at least I will have you and the #31 crew to keep me and the girls in order!

Probably be that I am the only one doing any work as reporting on the day for the local paper! ;) :) :o :vader:

Is it the freebie or the Telegraph?

madphotog
21st June 2007, 19:27
Hi guys!!!!! funny how its the guys asking about photography and the girls eh? Sorry Bob, Kelsey is on her hols but you missed a treat last month with Marissa who is "Babe Boss" this month. In addition I have Kirsty and Hannah... all 3 of which you will find on my website plus the gorgeous Emma whose photos you will find on Team Networking website.

In answer to the boring question about the press, it is the Evening Telegraph that I do previews and reports for.... dropped me in it tonight as no Motor Sport section unless it was in last nights.... Us poor photogs can only afford a paper once a week.

Remember all you photogs and you Bob, feel free to ask the girls to pose for you.

see you Sunday

madphotog
22nd June 2007, 16:18
Am pleased to say that the Evening Telegraph covering Kettering and Corby areas printed my preview in full (plus added a bit themselves) in tonights paper so we got about a 1/4 page with colour photo of Colin Whites car.

They have asked for my race report as usual Sunday Evening with a view to printing in the paper Monday Evening.

Cheers everyone

MADMAN

Filray
22nd June 2007, 16:23
Am pleased to say that the Evening Telegraph covering Kettering and Corby areas printed my preview in full (plus added a bit themselves) in tonights paper so we got about a 1/4 page with colour photo of Colin Whites car.

They have asked for my race report as usual Sunday Evening with a view to printing in the paper Monday Evening.

Cheers everyone

MADMAN

Top "MAD" Man!!

Tiesse
24th June 2007, 20:24

Cheers everyone

MADMAN

You've been framed!

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/Tiesse68/_MG_1683.jpg

EarWig
24th June 2007, 21:22
Excellent Picture Tiesse, didn't meet you in the 31 pit today, did you pop down?

Hey Brian you look as though you've seen a ghost!!
Dedication indeed considering the rain and wind.
Great work with Duncan and the 31 car today, thanks for everything Brian.
Thanks also to Mary of MAD Photography and my wife Sally for keeping the kettles on all day and supplying copious amounts of tea and coffee (and the odd glass of wine)

Our partners had a great day despite us not being able to race and a couple of my clients stayed most of the day despite the weather.

Pickups were excellent, well done to all.

Roll on July, see you all there

Ray

turn 4 mad
24th June 2007, 21:39
You've been framed!

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m206/Tiesse68/_MG_1683.jpg

hey brian you will be waiting along time for racing there mate the tracks behind you! he he

Tiesse
25th June 2007, 06:01
hey brian you will be waiting along time for racing there mate the tracks behind you! he he

Very good!

Tiesse
25th June 2007, 06:03
Excellent Picture Tiesse, didn't meet you in the 31 pit today, did you pop down?

Hey Brian you look as though you've seen a ghost!!
Dedication indeed considering the rain and wind.
Great work with Duncan and the 31 car today, thanks for everything Brian.
Thanks also to Mary of MAD Photography and my wife Sally for keeping the kettles on all day and supplying copious amounts of tea and coffee (and the odd glass of wine)

Our partners had a great day despite us not being able to race and a couple of my clients stayed most of the day despite the weather.

Pickups were excellent, well done to all.

Roll on July, see you all there

Ray

We popped down for about two nano seconds (still long enough to help themselves to some Jelly Belly beans though).

I was in a rush to get oback to the car for the parade at lunchtime. Maybe next time.

madphotog
25th June 2007, 11:02
Thanks guys for "you've been framed..... must be the time I was going to photo the Pickup podium before it through it down again!

Thanks to Duncan, Ray and Sally,the "boss" MAD Mary and everyone else involved with car 31 who all said they had a great V8 Day... even my "posy babes" said they enjoyed it.... and I didn't pay them to say that.

Anyone local come along to hopefully "Sunny" Desborough on Saturday afternoon to see the 31 car at the loacl carnival... it all helps

MADMAN

madphotog
25th June 2007, 17:28
The preview in Friday nights local evening paper contained everything I sent them but then they added a couple of paragraphs without checking the facts.

On Friday I got an email confirming they needed the report in full as usual by Sunday Evening by 8.00 pm as it would be printed in Monday's Edition.

True to form it isn't there... just a ploy for us to buy a paper every evening this week. Motorsport used to be in Thusday edition but last week it was Friday... who knows what they will do this week.

Must keep at them though as we need all the publicity we can get (Eventually) :) :vader:

JDPower
25th June 2007, 18:08
The preview in Friday nights local evening paper contained everything I sent them but then they added a couple of paragraphs without checking the facts.
Did notice on or two strange sentences (think one was along the lines of 'there will be two pickup races as there are two championships being fought for'?!)

Henry Cutts
25th June 2007, 20:06
A couple of Kart Circuits have put up Team Air Ambulance/V8 Trophy posters.
F1 Karting York
http://www.karting.uk.com/

Red Lodge Karting Newmarket
http://www.redlodge.co.uk

Please mention V8 Trophy / Team Air Ambulance and thank them for supporting a good cause, If they get some customers from team members/fans we might be able to get them to do a bigger promotion in the future. And as most Kart circuits have a lot of family’s with at least a passing interest in Motorsport I think it’s a good place to be promoting the series.

jeffmr2
25th June 2007, 21:22
I dont mean to criticise the hard work a lot of you good people are putting into this series but i think more basic information needs to be made easily available to the public about the race weekends.In weighing up was it worth travelling to the rock this weekend the first thing i wanted to know is how many cars are running ( i found out on here it was 10 on the 24th through here).I couldnt find this basic info on the official website or full details of the supporting races,ive been there enough to know pick ups are main support but the rest changes.To be honest as i couldnt find this out easily i gave up and decided not to bother,so how are people who are just curious as to what goes on going to decide is it worth giving the place a visit.
Like i said i'm not being negative so sont all give me a slagging off,i get enough of that anyway through being a Kyle Busch fan lol but i think its something that really needs to be addressed quickly.

Chigley
25th June 2007, 21:28
In response how many race meetings do you go to where the programme is 100% accurate, or there are not late additions or withdrawals from the entry list. With very few exceptions I don't think you will fine any meetings where an accurate entry list is published before race day, even a programme can get the race durations wrong, but that's a different story ;)

turn 4 mad
25th June 2007, 21:34
I dont mean to criticise the hard work a lot of you good people are putting into this series but i think more basic information needs to be made easily available to the public about the race weekends.In weighing up was it worth travelling to the rock this weekend the first thing i wanted to know is how many cars are running ( i found out on here it was 10 on the 24th through here).I couldnt find this basic info on the official website or full details of the supporting races,ive been there enough to know pick ups are main support but the rest changes.To be honest as i couldnt find this out easily i gave up and decided not to bother,so how are people who are just curious as to what goes on going to decide is it worth giving the place a visit.
Like i said i'm not being negative so sont all give me a slagging off,i get enough of that anyway through being a Kyle Busch fan lol but i think its something that really needs to be addressed quickly.

good point there jeffmr2

jeffmr2
25th June 2007, 21:43
Apart from rockingham ive only ever watched the lombard rac rally (or whatever its called nowadays) and i try to get to 2 nextel cup races a year mpney permitting.Obviously with these events you are guaranteed a great spectacle and big field.I'm really suprised that other events do not provide reasonably accurate entry lists beforehand.What about the good old days wher there were glossy race progammes on sale at the rock,these would have needed lead time to produce.Somewhere someone must have a provisional entry list.

turn 4 mad
25th June 2007, 21:47
Apart from rockingham ive only ever watched the lombard rac rally (or whatever its called nowadays) and i try to get to 2 nextel cup races a year mpney permitting.Obviously with these events you are guaranteed a great spectacle and big field.I'm really suprised that other events do not provide reasonably accurate entry lists beforehand.What about the good old days wher there were glossy race progammes on sale at the rock,these would have needed lead time to produce.Somewhere someone must have a provisional entry list.
the brscc site lists what is racing, just click on calender and it lists all the dates and what cars are racing

Henry Cutts
25th June 2007, 22:08
But if you’re a spectator looking at the web site:
http://www.brsccracingatrockingham.com/news/news.htm
I am looking forward to the April meeting

Reynard
25th June 2007, 22:17
What about the good old days wher there were glossy race progammes on sale at the rock,these would have needed lead time to produce.Somewhere someone must have a provisional entry list.

Err, there are good glossy programmes for sale at the Rock. I work my derriere off to provide photos for them!

racing59
25th June 2007, 22:26
good point there jeffmr2

Very valid indeed!

One of our flyers describes each meeting as having typically six races other than the two for the V8 Trophy.

The motorsport fan will want to know what they are going to see, where the "joe public" who is curious needs to be sold "The Day", as they won't have a clue what a SCSA/ASCAR or PuT is about, let alone a Legend, or Super Silhouette. They are all cars.

Joe Public is lit up by "Angry Cars", and the V8 Trophy fits that bill 100%.

As a driver of such a beasty, I still have to say that I find the Pickups extremely entertaining to watch. That's due to quantity of closely matched cars. Our aim in the MAC Tools V8 Trophy is to get that kind of number out with us.

JeffMR2 - your ideas are taken on-board, and will form part of my next wave of banners/adverts.

Any road up - next stops for me are Bigglesdwade Carnival this coming Saturday, and FastFest at Santa Pod on Sunday. Busy busy busy.

JDPower
26th June 2007, 03:13
...and FastFest at Santa Pod on Sunday.
Quite possibly the worst event name ever to grace a UK venue :cheese:

racing59
26th June 2007, 06:44
What do you expect when the likes of LaxPower and SmegLine are behind it.

Another thread on here mentions the Stunt show (which is really the French Car Show in disguise) at the Rock in a few weeks. Enquiries are being made as we speak.....

Now to fix my clutch ready for next weekend.

jeffmr2
26th June 2007, 16:04
Err, there are good glossy programmes for sale at the Rock. I work my derriere off to provide photos for them!

Well they are sure to be great race programmes as they are using youre photos that are always of a real high quality :)

Thanks everone for taking my comments in the positive light in which i made them.

Tiesse
26th June 2007, 19:43
I work my derriere off to provide photos for them!

Wow, thats a lot of work!

Henry Cutts
26th June 2007, 19:58
The BRSCC Racing@Rockingham web site has been updated, Hopefully it will keep getting updated to promote the next meeting.

JDPower
26th June 2007, 21:50
(which is really the French Car Show in disguise)
A French car show?! That'll give the breakdown services plenty to do that weekend then :devil:

JDPower
26th June 2007, 22:00
(which is really the French Car Show in disguise)
Having just Googled that I discovered advance tickets are £2.50 cheaper on the French Car Show website:

http://www.frenchcarshow.co.uk/fcs07/tickets.php ;)