PDA

View Full Version : Big Brother 8 Discussion Thread

RaikkonenRules
6th June 2007, 22:36
Who's been watching Big Brother this year?

I've been watching from time to time. Hard to get into it this year being mostly girls. Not many arguments going on. :(

stevie_gerrard
6th June 2007, 22:52
I was waiting for this thread to come up :p :

I think it's lacking something with all girls in there pretty much, thats why i havent watched much of it.

RaikkonenRules
6th June 2007, 22:54
Yeah think BB made a bit of a boo boo with that :(

BeansBeansBeans
6th June 2007, 23:50
Chanelle is my dream woman. Shabnaz is my nightmare woman.

Drew
7th June 2007, 02:03
The 2 twins went to the same college at a friend of mine.

That's how bad my celebrity connections are

BobGarage
7th June 2007, 10:57
first housemate evicited due to racial slur...

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/bigbrother8/a59890/in-full-transcript-of-emilys-racial-slur.html

SEATFreak
7th June 2007, 11:59
It isn't really my culture so I don't watch it much - just bits here and there - and I must admit when I have caught it I have found it good stuff.

My only downside is the fact I saw a Big Brother show around the time the guy entered and Davina summed up the social attitude to people who have a less than average appearance. I think she said exactly a nerdy guy would not have been good. I can see it being based on the fact a nerd would not be conducive to creating the sensatialism BB thrives of as their intelligence seems to make them boring people, but not on the fact nerds on whole are not as attractive or are friendly.
Why can't a nerd be good so long as they are friendly people? Why can't a nerd be good for BB purely because he isn't attractive? Their has been I am sure loads of housemates who weren't nerds and who weren't conventionally "attractive" but were allowed in because underneath their appearance are amiable people.

SOD
7th June 2007, 17:12
^ BB did have a nerd in the house, Jon Tickle. No one in the house could relate to him and he was always up for eviction. The public never voted him out until there was an eviction special where 2 housemates walked.

BeansBeansBeans
7th June 2007, 18:20
I think BB have over-reacted in evicting Emily. She was being naive and ignorant, rather than racist.

DonnieDarco
7th June 2007, 18:30
Poor Em had to go, that part I agree with. After all the fuss with the celeb BB, if Emily had been allowed to stay in the house all hell would have broken loose. She used an offensive word.

However, I detest some of the reporting by journos who obviously didn't see the footage in advance. She's being branded a racist and I simply don't think she is. Em is only 19, and I suspect she was trying to be cool. Charley has called herself by that name which is maybe why Em thought it would be ok, if she thought at all, lol

There is a vast difference between Emily saying one word while dancing to Charley, and Jade and co practically launching a campaign directed at Shilpa over a period of days.

Beans - Chanelle is your dream woman??? Why? :D Talk about bubble heads! The girl "wants to be a WAG because you get to wear really nice clothes, and spend lots of money." And she didn't mean her money :D

Dave B
7th June 2007, 20:05
I accidentally watched about 30 seconds of the last series, I'll try to avoid doing even that this time :s

DonnieDarco
7th June 2007, 20:17
Dave, you're such an old woman!! Don't waste people's time in here telling us what we already know. You despise BB, and look down on all those that watch it. Got it :p : :D

stevie_gerrard
8th June 2007, 21:12
Emily happens to go to Filton college, which happens to be 2 minutes away from UWE Bristol, where i currently study. She said that everybody at home used that word when being pally with ethnic friends.

I happen to know a lot of ethnic friends in Bristol, and i can tell you now, i never use that word cause it's a nasty and offensive word, no doubt about it. I've never heard it being used in a "friendly" way either. The fact she used that word is ridiculous and very stupid on her part, so she deserved to go.

RaikkonenRules
8th June 2007, 21:21
Charlie has suddenly decided that she was in fact offended in today's show even though she just shrugged it off when it happened.

Who else is really starting to dislike Charlie :mad:

DonnieDarco
8th June 2007, 22:01
Actually I felt the opposite after watching it today. Charley was in the diray room talking to BB about how she felt, and lets not forget she's stuck in there, she doesn't have her family around to comfort her. When I heard what she had to say I felt really sorry for her.

She thought Emily and her were friends, then suddenly this word is thrown out there. Charley was very shocked and could not work out if it was a mistake or not. Given that they didn't get on at first, she now wonders if perhaps Em never did like her and meant to say it.

I think its totally understandable that Charley was offended and upset, she had every right to be.

Lets just now hope that NOBODY uses the word again, under any circumstances. There really is no excuse whatsoever.

Given that Emily is only 19 and a bit of a silly girl (she announced that Indie was the new thing) I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, but she said a terrible thing, joking or not.

SOD
9th June 2007, 05:29
she (Emily) announced that Indie was the new thing

:laugh:

bontebempo
9th June 2007, 10:37
Charlie has suddenly decided that she was in fact offended in today's show even though she just shrugged it off when it happened.

Blacks are far more racist thant whites anyway. There are the Mobo awards. Imagine if we had an all whites awards ceremony? And im sure thare are a lot of racist people in the world? You have to show that your squeaky clean and love everybody. By the way im black...

BeansBeansBeans
9th June 2007, 10:40
Blacks are far more racist thant whites anyway. There are the Mobo awards. Imagine if we had an all whites awards ceremony? And im sure thare are a lot of racist people in the world? You have to show that your squeaky clean and love everybody. By the way im black...

I seriously doubt that.

Racehound
9th June 2007, 11:17

i didnt start to dislike her...........it was INSTANT!!!!!!!!!!

DonnieDarco
9th June 2007, 11:52
she is milking it beyond belief! She's a nasty piece of work. Sure she's been called nigger but worse goes on in the real world. It was wrong but come on.

Blacks are far more racist thant whites anyway. There are the Mobo awards. Imagine if we had an all whites awards ceremony? And im sure thare are a lot of racist people in the world? You have to show that your squeaky clean and love everybody. By the way im black and we call each other nigger all the time

Firstly, stop using that word here.

Secondly, there is no way to reclaim this word. It was born out of hatred and racial discrimination. It is not ok for some people to use it, nobody should.

I wonder how older generations feel about the word being thrown around by gruops of people today as if it was nothing. There was no mistaking the emotions of one lady interviewed on BBBM about it.

pino
9th June 2007, 12:16
By the way im black...

It doesn't matter, I am not confortable with "that" word, so please don't use it again...thanks :)

BeansBeansBeans
9th June 2007, 12:26
It doesn't matter, I am not confortable with "that" word, so please don't use it again...thanks :)

He / she clearly isn't black, but is obviously pretending they are in order to back-up their dubious opinion. The line "Imagine if we had an all whites awards ceremony?" earlier in the post kinda gives the game away.

RaikkonenRules
9th June 2007, 12:33
So what does everyone think of the two new openly gay men (Derek and Seany) entering yesterday.

DonnieDarco
9th June 2007, 12:39
Don't get me started on Sean. I refuse to add the Y, he's not 3. :D The other one is called Gerry. He's off the charts smart apparently, seems nice.

Btw, Lesley has gone!!! She walked this morning. I'll miss her, she could be funny and also breathtakingly rude :D

bontebempo
9th June 2007, 13:29
He / she clearly isn't black, but is obviously pretending they are in order to back-up their dubious opinion. The line "Imagine if we had an all whites awards ceremony?" earlier in the post kinda gives the game away.

i dont agree with mobo awards. It doesnt mean its a typically white comment. Im embarrased of such a ceremony that does not include white people.

BeansBeansBeans
9th June 2007, 13:33
i dont agree with mobo awards. It doesnt mean its a typically white comment. Im embarrased of such a ceremony that does not include white people.

Eh? White people (Justin Timberlake, Cristina Aguilera, Tim Westwood...etc) have won MOBO awards. It's an awards show for Music of Black Origin (soul, hip-hop, R&B), not an awards show solely for black people.

Kneeslider
9th June 2007, 14:30
I am interested in the way that society views taboos. There is very little which might be termed unspeakable in these modern times. Yes, she (Emily) was stupid, but there is far more shock value in other words which are meant to be genuinely hurtful. And since when was being stupid enough grounds to be thrown out of Big Brother?

It's interesting that at this very moment there's a tread about 'Is Ginerism as bad as racism' or somesuch.

Is those of you who may have met me know, I have red hair. While at school, and at work, I have endured the comments and jibes from tiny minded colleagues about this (including on several occasions while at school, physical violence). My real point here is one of free speech. Yes, I hated what people said, and the names they called me, but if it doesn't kill you, then it makes you stronger, and I would never dream of banning those words, because it only makes them more popular. In the end, the name calling only reflects upon the fragile egos of those who do it, and makes the bullies appear stupid, and rediculous. Channel4 should have had the courage to let Emily stay in the house, and then the public could decide if they wanted her in or not. What is Big Brother if not an overblown popularity contest?

We are supposed to be a nation where everyone is entitled to express their opinion, even when it is one that you may not agree with. And that is the true test.

Someone once said that a wise man was one who never said anything that you didn't agree with.

The late, great Linda Smith once said- "I am an atheist, I like to get along with everybody".

People should never be taught how to be offended by mere words. I have noticed that while Charley (who IMHO is quite evil) was not offended by Emily's comment at the time, but has since milked it to gain favour with the rest of the housemates.

DonnieDarco
9th June 2007, 20:16
The trouble is, given the last episiode, the reprimand from Offcom etc, there really was no way for her to stay there. And its all very well her staying, but that sends a message in itself to the public. The message would be well she said that, but we're letting her stay so it can't be that bad.

Now, if that had happened, the complaints would have exceeded those of celeb BB.

I said in a post elsewhere that its all very well for young generations to try and reclaim a terrible word, but what do the older generations feel about it?? What they went through isn't to count anymore?

The word in question has no place in our vocabulary now or ever. This is not a word that was once perfectly ordinary until it was used for a different context. Its a word that was invented to convey racial hatred.

There is no excuse for its use by anyone. In my opinion, obviously.

jim mcglinchey
10th June 2007, 19:12
So what does everyone think of the two new openly gay men (Derek and Seany) entering yesterday.

Can anyone remember when the Michael Jackson child - abuse verdict was announced, there was a prick standing behind the court official with a tri-colour placard on which was written " Michael , Ireland believes in you " ( yeah, right ) well that was Seany.

DonnieDarco
10th June 2007, 22:57
Yeah, Sean. He seems............on the edge of reality :D On entering the house he broke a rule of BB by shouting out messages to his mum, he whipped Lesley's duvet off her at 3.30am that same night while she was sleeping and he told Charley the chanting had been to get her out, thereby upsetting her.

Off to a flying start then :D

BeansBeansBeans
10th June 2007, 23:23
I hate Seany with a passion already. On the subject of rule-breaking, since when were you able to enter the house and tell people what was happening outside (the 'Get Charley Out' chanting). Throw him out I say. He looks like Mick Hucknall too, as if he couldn't get any worse.

stevie_gerrard
11th June 2007, 21:52
He does have a funny side to him though :laugh: just kidding, but maybe it needs someone like that to get the big brother ball rolling, it's been a tad lifeless so far.

BeansBeansBeans
11th June 2007, 22:51
To be honest, after tonight's show, I see him in a slightly better light. Charley and Shabz are hilarious. It's interesting to see how a complete lack of self-awareness can affect someone.

SOD
12th June 2007, 03:56
Can anyone remember when the Michael Jackson child - abuse verdict was announced, there was a prick standing behind the court official with a tri-colour placard on which was written " Michael , Ireland believes in you " ( yeah, right ) well that was Seany.

rthe woman who let the doves out would make for a great BB contestant.

DonnieDarco
12th June 2007, 09:45
Nicki. People elsewhere seem to think she's up this week against Charley, but I like her! Except when she's moaning about food, which is most of the time :D She ate a bowl of cereal last night though, thereby breaking one of her own rules. Carole pointed this out, whereupon she moaned a LOT more :D

Carole is another one. She cried, she actually cried, when Laura I think it was, wouldn't let her help with the cooking one night. Moans endlessly about food, HM's not doing housework, thinks the place is a boot camp.

RaikkonenRules
15th June 2007, 21:10
Tracy, Carol and Shabnam up for eviction tonight. Who will go?

RaikkonenRules
22nd June 2007, 23:12
Seany evicted tonight. Never really liked the guy.

DonnieDarco
23rd June 2007, 00:47
Yep, good result in my opinion :D