PDA

View Full Version : Is gingerism as bad as racism?

Brown, Jon Brow
6th June 2007, 12:54
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6725653.stm

A red-haired family claims to have been driven from their Newcastle home because of abuse. Why is the harassment of redheads dismissed as just harmless fun?

Here's a joke. "What's the difference between a terrorist and a redhead?"

Here's the punchline. "You can negotiate with a terrorist."

Is this offensive? If it was made in your workplace, within hearing of a redheaded colleague, would you make a fuss? Probably not.

But mock someone's ethnicity, religion or sexuality and you will attract the beady eye of management. Make a sexist joke and prepare to be dismissed as an antediluvian relic.

Any opinions?

(BTW I'm not ginger)

Loobylou
6th June 2007, 13:03
It's not an 'ism' it's bullying, carried out by neanderthal minded types who just want to find a victim that's different enough for their little clique to go along with the notion that it's okay to kick the crap out of them.

BDunnell
6th June 2007, 13:08
It's not an 'ism' it's bullying, carried out by neanderthal minded types who just want to find a victim that's different enough for their little clique to go along with the notion that it's okay to kick the crap out of them.

I can't add any more to that.

ShiftingGears
6th June 2007, 13:39
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6725653.stm

A red-haired family claims to have been driven from their Newcastle home because of abuse. Why is the harassment of redheads dismissed as just harmless fun?

Because the PC brigade hasnt latched on it yet. Also, I think it's stupid how people can be sacked for saying "Ya black *******" simply because it mentions someones race. I think it's a load of ****, really. People will always single out people for being different, whether jokingly or sinister, and they usually single people out based on appearance, eg "Ya ginger *******" or "Ya black *******" it's a fact of life that I think people are trying too hard to supress, and I don't think its good for freedom of speech.

Because the ranger family was driven out of their home because of abuse doesn't mean people cannot still jokingly bag out other people for having red hair, or anything else for that matter.

Valve Bounce
6th June 2007, 14:02
My wife is a redhead, and I think she looks great.
However, when I was working in Korea, we visited a Celidon factory; when we got out of the car, one boy saw my wife, and he jumped into the drain scaled the other side and ran off at great speed.
But heck, I really don't know what the fuss is about; my favourite actresses when I was a teenager were mostly redheads.

millencolin
6th June 2007, 15:23
has anyone seen that south park episode where cartman makes fun of ginger kids then becomes a ginger kid... classic!!!!

i cop a lot of abuse because i have wild curly hair... all i can say to these people is GET OVER IT!!! BOOHOO!!!! live with it for crying out loud! people who make fun of you for that would be quite stupid because they cant think of anything intelligent to insult you with. Thats how i get through life when being called a 'mop-headed git!' etc etc

Iain
6th June 2007, 16:25
i cop a lot of abuse because i have wild curly hair... all i can say to these people is GET OVER IT!!! BOOHOO!!!! live with it for crying out loud! people who make fun of you for that would be quite stupid because they cant think of anything intelligent to insult you with. Thats how i get through life when being called a 'mop-headed git!' etc etc

Not everyone is as strong-minded as you are obviously. I was picked on because of my hair colour since I started Primary School until well into High School and you can't ignore 8-10 years of that sort of abuse day in, day out.

BDunnell
6th June 2007, 17:17
Because the PC brigade hasnt latched on it yet. Also, I think it's stupid how people can be sacked for saying "Ya black *******" simply because it mentions someones race. I think it's a load of ****, really. People will always single out people for being different, whether jokingly or sinister, and they usually single people out based on appearance, eg "Ya ginger *******" or "Ya black *******" it's a fact of life that I think people are trying too hard to supress, and I don't think its good for freedom of speech.

Because the ranger family was driven out of their home because of abuse doesn't mean people cannot still jokingly bag out other people for having red hair, or anything else for that matter.

I don't think calling someone a 'black *******' is acceptable under any circumstances, joking or not. I would certainly never say it, and I don't think that in doing so I'm harming freedom of speech or being 'politically correct', whatever that means.

Ian McC
6th June 2007, 18:22
Wonder why gingers get that level of abuse? Even blondes don't get that kind of level?

Eki
6th June 2007, 20:25
Wonder why gingers get that level of abuse? Even blondes don't get that kind of level?
That must be a British phenomena. I haven't seen much attention to ginger people here in Finland. Not that (naturally) ginger are that common here.

Viktory
6th June 2007, 22:37
That must be a British phenomena. I haven't seen much attention to ginger people here in Finland. Not that (naturally) ginger are that common here.

Same here in Sweden. My brother has ginger hair, he hasn't had any trouble here in Sweden, only a little when we lived in.... England. I have a few friends that have ginger hair and they don't get any trouble at all.

Hawkmoon
8th June 2007, 03:59
I don't think calling someone a 'black *******' is acceptable under any circumstances, joking or not. I would certainly never say it, and I don't think that in doing so I'm harming freedom of speech or being 'politically correct', whatever that means.

Why is that? Is it the ******* part or the black part? I'm curious about this because I would have thought that questioning the integrity of a person's mother is worse than stating the obvious, ie. that their skin is a certain colour.

If you look at the statement itself, "black *******", you have one part fact, the person in question is black, and one part conjecture, that the person's mother had dubious moral standards. Yet it seems to be the statement of fact that causes all the problems.

Now, ofcourse, the context in which the phase is said is important. Perhaps even more important than the actual phrase itself. That being the case, wouldn't it be better to call someone a black ******* with humour and no malice, than it would be to call someone a ******* with malicious intent?

Brown, Jon Brow
8th June 2007, 10:14
I have a ginger friend and I regularly insult him over his hair.

But he knows I'm joking :p

But who come some kind of prejudice remarks seen as 'okay' and other such as racism totally unacceptable.

I used to be insulted over a mole I have on my chin by a prepubescent **** at the bus stop. ( In the style shown in the Austin Powers films) This didn't stop until I asked the child if he wanted to lick it. :erm: Now he doesn't even look at it :D

ShiftingGears
11th June 2007, 03:14
Why is that? Is it the ******* part or the black part? I'm curious about this because I would have thought that questioning the integrity of a person's mother is worse than stating the obvious, ie. that their skin is a certain colour.

If you look at the statement itself, "black *******", you have one part fact, the person in question is black, and one part conjecture, that the person's mother had dubious moral standards. Yet it seems to be the statement of fact that causes all the problems.

Now, ofcourse, the context in which the phase is said is important. Perhaps even more important than the actual phrase itself. That being the case, wouldn't it be better to call someone a black ******* with humour and no malice, than it would be to call someone a ******* with malicious intent?

Thankyou for saying what I was trying to say! I agree.

walrus81
11th June 2007, 04:34
Things would probably have been a bit different for the guy if he wasn't a sex-crazed maniac.

9 kids, he must be Catholic

Mark in Oshawa
12th June 2007, 20:52
Must be a British thing to abuse people because of red hair. Never heard of it over here. Hell, the only stereotype I have heard towards red hair is that some believe red headed women are more promisicious and aware of their sexual being. That is a stereotype that maybe some wouldn't want, but I always loved redheads. I now hope that stereotype doesn't hold though, because my 12 year old daughter has RED hair!!!!!

Hazell B
12th June 2007, 22:30
I have a ginger friend and I regularly insult him over his hair.

But he knows I'm joking :p

Being a redhead (though more brownish now) I've happily taken jokes from friends all my life. They're funny.
However, when some complete stranger starts thinking they can join in the jokes, or start them, it's unpleasant. I'm not easily intimidated but can see how some people would be considering the utter nastiness I've had thrown my way over a simple hair colour.

It's bullying. Sadly it's also in a way an 'ism' because everyone can see you've got ginger hair while in normal bullying not everyone you pass in life can see what another person would bully you for. Race is like that, there for all to see and pick on if they wish. Pathetic.