PDA

View Full Version : Mondeo for sale

SEATFreak
6th June 2007, 09:38
If anyone has about four grand their is this rather nice yellow Mondeo for sale on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BTCC-Ford-Mondeo-Touring-Car-Racecar-RS-Zetec-Cosworth_W0QQitemZ200114700461QQihZ010QQcategoryZ2 1654QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Surely things like ex-touring cars cannot be bought by the public if they feel so inclided. Surely this is only aimed at teams wishing to enter championship were classic touring cars are raced.

One wonders how ex-touring cars can come to be sold into the public domain. Something must happen between the team and the customer. I can see how it can be easily bought by privateer teams but the public?

Marshall
6th June 2007, 09:43
That's pretty cool - you could buy that and build a house around it or something .

taffy
6th June 2007, 10:07
Why should`nt the public be able to buy them if they can afford them??? Look in the back of MS news there are always cars for sale in there, not just track cars but full rally spec also... they are for sale to whoever wants to buy them. It`s their money they are spending so if they want to buy it then it`s up to them ..

reidy_fan
6th June 2007, 10:08
you will find that on certain websites there is always touring cars/bits for sale. most end up in private collections or taken on the rare trackday. plus there is still some championships that are very much run whatever you want.

that mondeo sems alright £3.5 for the rolling shell, get a engine and box could be running for under 10k

Dave B
6th June 2007, 12:20
As usual, SEATFreak, you're looking for issues that simly aren't there. Why should there be some sinister motive for an organisation selling a car?

If someone's got the time, knowledge and money to fit and engine then it would make an excellent trackday car, or could be entered into any number of championships.

GRAVETT
6th June 2007, 15:41
Indeed Dave Brockman. looks like theres always got to a conspiracy !! bizarre !
I know a few guys with ex BTCC cars, they either race them in smaller club events, use them as track day cars or have them purly to say they have one.
I'm currently trying to buy an ex Prodrive Frank Sytner m3 from 1989, i better look Out my windows to check there are no suspicious men in black coats watching me, as it seems buyin a race car is so sinister now huh seatFREAK

AlexD
6th June 2007, 16:30
Surely Ford can't have people finding out all about a car they made ten years ago!

GRAVETT
6th June 2007, 16:40
yes ! with fords huge current touring car campaign with the rapid fit mondeo, that sort of information could fall into the wrong hands ! god what if nissan got it ! oh SEATfreak how you entetain me.
just made an offer on the mondeo !

Allyc85
6th June 2007, 16:57
oooh baby, I want it. I cant afford it n I have no where to keep it but I want it sooo badly!

SEATFreak
6th June 2007, 17:08
As usual, SEATFreak, you're looking for issues that simly aren't there.

Indeed Dave Brockman. looks like theres always got to a conspiracy !! bizarre !....i better look Out my windows to check there are no suspicious men in black coats watching me, as it seems buyin a race car is so sinister now huh seatFREAK

Surely Ford can't have people finding out all about a car they made ten years ago!

Here we go again! :s nore:

All I wanted to do was get an understanding of why ex-touring cars are so popular and yet again my post is destroyed by people who destroy it with serious and false absurb allegations at me which makes an innocent reason sound scandalous which simoultaneously personally attacks and assasinates not just my character but good nature.

I do not have neither the room, the cash nor more importantly the deep interest to go as far as buying a real ex-touring car but I am facinated by the passion these people must have to burn £3k+ so easily on something that may be purely for show. If that makes me a sinister evil villain helbent on world domination then so be it.

btw, I thought the men wore white not black coats GRAVETT. Are you Ron Atkinson?

AlexD
6th June 2007, 17:18
"yet again my post is destroyed by people who destroy it with serious and false absurb allegations at me which makes an innocent reason sound scandalous which simoultaneously personally attacks and assasinates not just my character but good nature."

What? Learn to take a joke.

nicemms
6th June 2007, 17:45
That would be a great trackday car with an engine etc. If I could afford and was old enough I'd be clicking the buy it now button right about now!

But I can't so I'll have to wait a while.

GRAVETT
6th June 2007, 18:28
No SEATfreak, conspiracy government type guys where black trench coats. I understand why you were mistaken as you are surrounded day in day out by men in white coats.

They're coming to take you away, HAHA, they're coming to take you away !!!

kmchow
7th June 2007, 02:42
One wonders how ex-touring cars can come to be sold into the public domain. Something must happen between the team and the customer. I can see how it can be easily bought by privateer teams but the public?
There is no point in keeping every car you've ever built--you want to recoup some of the costs by selling the car. And since you can't always control who the car is later resold to, it eventually can get into the hands of a private individual or fan.

I do hope the car will get sold as a trackcar or at least put into a museum. Better in the hands of a fan that rusting away in some corner of a yard or junkyard.

SEATFreak
7th June 2007, 08:44
There is no point in keeping every car you've ever built--you want to recoup some of the costs by selling the car. And since you can't always control who the car is later resold to, it eventually can get into the hands of a private individual or fan.

I do hope the car will get sold as a trackcar or at least put into a museum. Better in the hands of a fan that rusting away in some corner of a yard or junkyard.

Now I see the sense in selling a car anyone who is prepared to buy it and take it on as a serious long-term investment. Shame it couldn't have been pointed out earlier really.

I understand it takes a lot for someone to put together a team and even then their is surely atleast a teeny possibility that things could traspire to hiner certain things from happening.

I could be wrong but with no pressure resumably for collectors or fans who just want it as a show item that is a long term investment, motoring museum owners or trackday racers to generate sponsorship, buy parts and look for drivers who are willing to stump up the neccessary money to fund a drive (among other things) it is presumably more likely for it to be sold to one of them who have the £3k or whatever is asked ready.

And from the point of view of the team I would like to think their is few or no practicalities of holding on to all old cars. Look at WSR. I saw a pic of Nigel Mansells Mondeo ages ago and I am sure I saw "WSR" on the bumper. Certainly where in their facility could WSR store that car and all their other cars without sacrificing room that could be used for parts or the beemers?

Brown, Jon Brow
7th June 2007, 08:55
How much modifications would have to be made to it to make it road legal?

Iain
7th June 2007, 14:41
And from the point of view of the team I would like to think their is few or no practicalities of holding on to all old cars. Look at WSR. I saw a pic of Nigel Mansells Mondeo ages ago and I am sure I saw "WSR" on the bumper. Certainly where in their facility could WSR store that car and all their other cars without sacrificing room that could be used for parts or the beemers?

WSR have a massive HQ at Sunbury, but I would have thought Ford owned and sold the Mondeos they used to run and they were sold on pretty quickly, as they were highly valuable cars back then. The only team who have really held onto a car or two are Prodrive, who have an Accord and a Mondeo in their collection.

GRAVETT
7th June 2007, 15:33
Brown, JohnBrown surprisingly it would'nt take that much work to make it road legal ( it would be costly and have to be registered as a kit car ), but it drive like an absolute dog. I used to own an RS500 from Andy Rouse engineering that was converted to road spec from an Robb Gravett 1988 btcc car. Back then the conversion was much easier as the cars were more closely related to the road cars.
this mondeo could be converted but i wouldnt bother as it would probally be a bit of a mess.

nicemms
7th June 2007, 18:10
Be cool thoough especially if you had btcc mad mates because then you could say:
"I drive a touring car"

thetrooper_uk
7th June 2007, 18:32
If anyone has about four grand their is this rather nice yellow Mondeo for sale on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BTCC-Ford-Mondeo-Touring-Car-Racecar-RS-Zetec-Cosworth_W0QQitemZ200114700461QQihZ010QQcategoryZ2 1654QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Surely things like ex-touring cars cannot be bought by the public if they feel so inclided. Surely this is only aimed at teams wishing to enter championship were classic touring cars are raced.

This would be the perfect car for you SEATFREAK being a non-driver as it hasn't got an engine. You could sit it outside your mums house and pretend that you can drive. :confused:

kmchow
10th June 2007, 02:06
Brown, JohnBrown surprisingly it would'nt take that much work to make it road legal ( it would be costly and have to be registered as a kit car ), but it drive like an absolute dog. I used to own an RS500 from Andy Rouse engineering that was converted to road spec from an Robb Gravett 1988 btcc car. Back then the conversion was much easier as the cars were more closely related to the road cars.
this mondeo could be converted but i wouldnt bother as it would probally be a bit of a mess.
I thought the later(??) ST cars could never be made road legal since they shells weren't assembled (to roadcar standards)? I'm not sure about the UK roadcar standards. Or perhaps it just comes down to money--it just isn't financially reasonable to do so?

OTOH, if all you want is "the look", you might as well buy the roadcar and buy the aero bits to convert it to look like the racecar? It would be cheaper and a lot less hassle?

OTOH, I thought I recall there exists 1 Mclaren F1 racecar that has been converted to legal roadcar status. Saw it on sale at some website once.

GRAVETT
11th June 2007, 13:16
it would be possible but pointless, it would have to be registered as a kit car and pass some pretty stringent tests.

the mclaren f1 roadcar i remember was an april fool that still today is sometimes remembered as fact. it was put out by mclaren themselves

SEATFreak
11th June 2007, 13:41
OTOH, if all you want is "the look", you might as well buy the roadcar and buy the aero bits to convert it to look like the racecar? It would be cheaper and a lot less hassle?

On one MG X-Power website it had all kinds of accesories that you could buy for your MG that made it sportier. Like Recaro seats, suspension, brake disks, gear stick, calipers, etc,.

As a rough estimate what do you think would be the cost difference of accesorising your current motor, as much as it can be modified, be to buying a former racer?

kmchow
12th June 2007, 04:35
it would be possible but pointless, it would have to be registered as a kit car and pass some pretty stringent tests.

the mclaren f1 roadcar i remember was an april fool that still today is sometimes remembered as fact. it was put out by mclaren themselves
Was there an April's Fool announcement? Just to clarify, the Mclaren F1 roadcar is the FIA GT one and not the open wheel one?

kmchow
12th June 2007, 04:43
On one MG X-Power website it had all kinds of accesories that you could buy for your MG that made it sportier. Like Recaro seats, suspension, brake disks, gear stick, calipers, etc,.

As a rough estimate what do you think would be the cost difference of accesorising your current motor, as much as it can be modified, be to buying a former racer?
I guess how much a lookalike costs depends on how much you wanna spend! :D

You could get just the bodykit and alloys. But you can get get down to the calipers, suspension, seating, decal package, etc...

I expect it's easier/cheaper to get a roadcar to pass emissions/inspection than a former racecar?

GRAVETT
12th June 2007, 08:08
I have the press release somewhere, i'll dig it out. i am referring to the story of an actual mclaren formula one car converted to road spec, not the fia gt car

GRAVETT
12th June 2007, 08:09
personally i would'nt bother decalling a car up to look like a racer. i am yet to see one that doesnt make the owner look a bit of a pratt