PDA

View Full Version : Mini-overrated!

Daniel
5th June 2007, 09:51
http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/car_news_article.aspx?cp-documentid=5112584

It was 2001, the Mini was all new and the people behind it had come up with the genius plan of having us run about London looking for London landmarks to photograph with the car. So we stopped it at Buckingham Palace and took some snaps, got a couple of shots with a bobby in frame and generally had a right giggle driving it around the nation’s capital city.
Click images to enlarge, more below
It was the reaction it got that amazed me the most. Everybody speaking on their mobile phones would stop and stare before mouthing ‘new Mini’ to whoever it was they were speaking to. We were stopped constantly by people wanting to know where to get one and given the thumbs up, waves and smiles from people everywhere. Someone even chased us in a taxi because they wanted a closer look. We were also offered the keys to a BMW 8-Series on the spot as a swap. And the chap was deadly serious. No car I’d driven before or since has caused anything like the reaction that the Mini did on that summer afternoon in 2001.
But I’ve got a confession. I don’t like them. No car on sale is as overrated in my opinion. It’s not because I am one of those people who hold the old car in such reverence, or dislike the fact that they’ve been adopted by estate agents as the wheels of choice. I’m not. Sure, I admire the original Mini’s clever engineering and packaging, and I’ve certainly enjoyed driving them, but times have changed. And the current Mini represents this perfectly. I’ll concede that in some forms it drives decently enough, but rivals do much the same for much less money. And the packaging? Think of it as a two-seater as really those rear seats are next to useless.
Larger than life
That’d be forgivable if the Mini was as its name suggests – Mini. But it’s not. It’s massive. I understand that to pass today’s crash regulations the Mini needs to be bigger and heavier. Even so there are plenty of similar-sized rivals out there that offer better interior accommodation, and crucially, a decent-sized boot. The original Mini’s boot wasn’t much use, but the current car offers little more useful space than it despite its massive growth in dimensions. It’s not unreasonable to think that people might have use for a boot, a buggy for a child for example, but you’ll struggle to get one in.
Which basically means the Mini’s no longer a car in the conventional sense. It’s a fashion item – a trinket for those lacking the imagination to choose anything else. It’s got character, but it’s the sort of vacuous character you’ll find with a reality TV ‘personality’, endearing at first, annoying very shortly after. It’s got the looks of the original inside and out, details ripped off and recreated in a shameless pastiche of the original cars. Where’s the innovation? BMW had a chance to do something really interesting with the Mini, but instead they’ve provided us with a fatter copy of an old car. And it’s been flawed from the start.
Flawed from the first
It’s only now in its second incarnation they’ve managed to get it to ride properly on its run-flat tyres. After years of denying the ride was compromised a Mini engineer admitted to me that the new car that the suspension of the original wasn’t set up with run-flat tyres in mind. That’s not the case today, and the Mini now rides better. The engine’s improved too, the best thing Mini ever did was bin that Chrysler partnership unit. Some say it’s lost some character as a result of this improved refinement. Bunkum.
The Coopers might be quick, but try driving one for any distance in comfort. A Vauxhall Corsa VXR or Peugeot 207 GTi would do a far better job, and cost you less too. The new diesel sounds like a tractor, and the old one wasn’t very diesely when it came to mpg figures. They’re all expensive as well, especially when you start dipping into the extensive options list. Not that that matters, as sales don’t seem to be slowing down despite the Mini’s omnipresence, poor packaging and price.
Which, despite my dislike of it I’m delighted about. Why? Because it’s a real UK manufacturing success story, an excellent export product and huge employer as a result. And I’m excited to read too that BMW are adding stop-start technology and brake energy regeneration to the Mini. Hurrah, some innovation at last. Will it change my views on it though? I seriously doubt it.

Dave B
5th June 2007, 09:56
I drove one a couple of years back and it was just... dull.

Plus the electric window switches were in a stupid place, making me look foolish at a ticket barrier :erm: But wearing a suit and driving a Mini, people probably assumed I was an estate agent.

I used to have one of the old Minis and it was like a little go-kart. Horribly cramped, of course, but went like stink and took corners like a roller coaster.

Mark
5th June 2007, 10:00
Interesting points. The Mini was revolutionary in it's day as it was pretty much the first affordable small car. Of course these days you've got the 206, Fiesta, Corsa, Yaris, Clio etc etc, the choice is endless.

BeansBeansBeans
5th June 2007, 10:05
I was fortunate enough to drive the 'New Mini' back in Summer 2001 before it had been put on general sale. It turned heads, and every time I stopped at lights alongside another car, the occupants would wind down their windows and ask me about it. The funniest thing was that I got stopped for speeding in it, and the Policeman didn't know what it was.

AndyRAC
5th June 2007, 10:08
Yeah it's not cheap anymore, money grabbing BMW know own them. Must admit I was interested in the CooperS, but seem to see mainly women driving them, very few men. Interestingly, BMW's are RWD, yet the Mini is FWD, why?

Dave B
5th June 2007, 10:24
http://cars.uk.msn.com/News/car_news_article.aspx?cp-documentid=5112584
No car on sale is as overrated in my opinion.
Prius?

Donney
5th June 2007, 10:44
I don't like that car at all, especially since it betrays everything that the Mini was.

schmenke
5th June 2007, 19:42
The new Mini is not only over-rated but over-priced :mark:

Hazell B
5th June 2007, 21:20
I don't like that car at all, especially since it betrays everything that the Mini was.

Exactly my thought since it arrived on the roads.

Problem is that most of the people who now drive one aren't old enough to remember how good the original was, so they have nothing to go on when choosing.

And why so many horrid colour choices?
:mark:

Daniel
5th June 2007, 21:27
Because beige is fashionable with moronic fools.

GridGirl
5th June 2007, 22:27
Maybe I'm just old school, but its not a Mini unless its made at Longbridge.

I've never buy a new design one, but I'd love a classic mini. The national mini show takes place at my local park every year. The old school ones always make me green with envy.

tannat
5th June 2007, 22:40
Yes, it might indeed be a blasphemy against the original, but it is a marketing success, and handles like a fiend (it's slalom #s are incredible).

I expect it's quite the car to have at an autocross.

Too bad they couldn't develop a fab rallycar out of it..

Brown, Jon Brow
5th June 2007, 23:27
A Grande Punto is a better car ;)

Rollo
6th June 2007, 02:47
It's a 1-series in ill-fitting Bimini clothing. It shares none of the quirks or the handling of the original and has to be that big to justifiy the price tag. Basically a Corsa XVR, a Fiesta ST or a Civic-R will all do the job of the Bimini and at a cheaper price. If you want the handling, get a Street Ka.

The original Mini was Cheap, Cheerful and Carnaby St. These days like Carnaby St it's no longer cheap and a wee bit frumpy.

Woodeye
6th June 2007, 18:27
I've driven the new Mini once. I think it was great and fun to drive.

Someone is willing to buy Audi or VW instead of Skoda or Seat. Why? Because they like the brand. They are willing to pay more to get the brand that they think is superior. That's the reason behind Mini's success.

If the Mini wouldn't be powered by BMW would you like it then? ;)