PDA

View Full Version : New Laguna

MattL
4th June 2007, 21:18
First pics of the new Renault Laguna:

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/first_official_picture.php?sid=749&page=1

The new Mondeo's already here and there's a new Vectra to come next year...Seems like Renault has big hopes for the Laguna, but is it up to the job?

And then there's the coupe version, which might look something like this:

http://magazine.avtoindex.com/images/forum/2005/renault_laguna_new_2.jpg

Any thoughts?

J4MIE
4th June 2007, 21:44
Looks more executive than family car. I guess we'll see closer to the launch date.

Daniel
4th June 2007, 21:56
Coupe version looks like they've tried to go Zagato and halfway through decided not to.....

CarlMetro
4th June 2007, 23:51
Looks just like a rehash of the current model :yuk: I wonder if the build quality is the same too :eek:

Rollo
5th June 2007, 05:20
The whole car looks like they've taken the central passenger cell of the Pug 407 and grafted Renaultness onto it. I don't think that it looks overly terrible but it's not winning any awards for being ground-breaking.

Mark
5th June 2007, 07:37
Just looks like a Ford Monedo with the front end of a Renault van bolted onto it, are those really first actual pictures? They look rather like a photoshop mockup to me.

So the front us ugly, the back is an abomination and the interior it's a bit strange :s . More like Citroen strangeness really.

No offense to you Matt, I know how much you like your Renaults ;)

MadCat
5th June 2007, 09:13
Looks quite a bit like the Citroen C6 at the front.

Im sure it'll grow on me ... maybe

Dave B
5th June 2007, 09:58
They can do what the like with it, but unless they address the reliability of the electrics the only place you'll be seeing it is on the hard shoulder.

Donney
5th June 2007, 10:46
Looks like thay have used Peugeot and Citroen for inspiration, it'll be so common that it will grow on me, but I don't really like it.

MattL
5th June 2007, 16:10
Just looks like a Ford Monedo with the front end of a Renault van bolted onto it, are those really first actual pictures? They look rather like a photoshop mockup to me.

So the front us ugly, the back is an abomination and the interior it's a bit strange :s . More like Citroen strangeness really.

No offense to you Matt, I know how much you like your Renaults ;)

The hatch and estate are official pictures, but the coupe is a mock up.

The first time the car gets seen in the 'metal' will be at the Frankfurt motorshow, which is when Vauxhall are supposed to be unveiling the Vectra as well!

They can do what the like with it, but unless they address the reliability of the electrics the only place you'll be seeing it is on the hard shoulder.

That's brand power for you... ;) The current Laguna has actually seen massive quality improvements since its early days and the new model looks like it will be another big step in the right direction. We'll see when they hit the road, I guess! It's an important product for Renault and the first (ok, second if you count Twingo!) of a whole host of new models coming over the next few years...

oily oaf
5th June 2007, 17:42
Here's one I repaired earlier
Styling and coachwork by Pinnfarina and Donkey Hote

Daniel
5th June 2007, 18:38
Are you Bernie from the Bangla Bangers TV show? :p

oily oaf
5th June 2007, 18:46
Are you Bernie from the Bangla Bashers TV show? :p

Yes.

Brown, Jon Brow
5th June 2007, 19:18
I like it :up:

Mark
6th June 2007, 08:33
That's brand power for you... ;) The current Laguna has actually seen massive quality improvements since its early days and the new model looks like it will be another big step in the right direction. We'll see when they hit the road, I guess! It's an important product for Renault and the first (ok, second if you count Twingo!) of a whole host of new models coming over the next few years...

I sometimes find Renault a bit hit and miss. e.g. I thought the Megane was horrid when it first came out, with the stupid back end, and I haven't changed my opinion now. However I do think the new Clio looks very nice indeed.

For me Laguna just brings to mind the mid-90's model that competed in the BTCC.

Allyc85
6th June 2007, 18:26
:( new cars are so ugly

MattL
6th June 2007, 20:33
I sometimes find Renault a bit hit and miss. e.g. I thought the Megane was horrid when it first came out, with the stupid back end, and I haven't changed my opinion now. However I do think the new Clio looks very nice indeed.

For me Laguna just brings to mind the mid-90's model that competed in the BTCC.

There's no doubt that the new Laguna is nowhere near as revolutionary as the Megane was. The Megane could so easily have bombed on the UK market - it was only saved by a very clever, yet risky advertising campaign. The new one next year is likely to be less controversial.

New Laguna is intended to compete in the fleet upper/luxury market. Ford sell some 40,000 Mondeos in this segment, and Vauxhall sold about 33,000 Vectras on the fleet market last year.

If you look at Renault's plan for the next three years, proving that they have taken big steps forward in terms of quality underpins the whole strategy. The Laguna is important for this, and it's no coincidence that the new one won't have so many innovative high-tech, but unreliable, gadget-type features as the last one did.