PDA

View Full Version : Qualy 3 Pitstops

wedge
4th June 2007, 13:58
Why aren't the pit crew in their safety gear considering they are performing near enough race conditions?

andreag
4th June 2007, 15:28
Why aren't the pit crew in their safety gear considering they are performing near enough race conditions?
Maybe for the word near. :p :

ClarkFan
4th June 2007, 15:54
They aren't adding fuel - the most significant hazard and the reason crews wear fireproof togs.

ClarkFan

Valve Bounce
5th June 2007, 01:01
They aren't adding fuel - the most significant hazard and the reason crews wear fireproof togs.

ClarkFan

I'd rather see them in the overalls and be permitted to add fuel during Quals 3. Then we'd see some real action, not just Mickey Mouse quals with some cars on much more fuel than others. I want to see the fastest racer on the front row, not the lightest car.

ClarkFan
5th June 2007, 21:12
Valve,
I'd rather see them in shirtsleeves in Qualifying and adding fuel after qualifying is over, because they set the final times on fumes. This intrigue about qualifying fuel levels is just a layer added to cover the fact that the cars have a hard time racing any more - Stewart used to qualify on the 3rd or 4th row all the time and then go out and win the race and set fastest lap.

One key difference from that era to this one was that cars didn't stop during the race and so often ran the race with different settings from qualifying. After the fuss about tire stops in 2005, I don't think F1 can go back to that era. But I would like to see disincentives for pitting to reintroduce that idea that a driver has to manage the condition of the car during a race.

ClarkFan

Valve Bounce
6th June 2007, 04:15
Valve,
I'd rather see them in shirtsleeves in Qualifying and adding fuel after qualifying is over, because they set the final times on fumes. This intrigue about qualifying fuel levels is just a layer added to cover the fact that the cars have a hard time racing any more - Stewart used to qualify on the 3rd or 4th row all the time and then go out and win the race and set fastest lap.

One key difference from that era to this one was that cars didn't stop during the race and so often ran the race with different settings from qualifying. After the fuss about tire stops in 2005, I don't think F1 can go back to that era. But I would like to see disincentives for pitting to reintroduce that idea that a driver has to manage the condition of the car during a race.

ClarkFan

I really hate to think different, but I would like to see refuelling during quals 3, so that the cars can have several attempts to set a fast time on very low fuel. In this way, a driver may not get a clear run in the final set of runs during quals 3 and still achieve a very fast time.

Having cars circulate during quals 3 just to run down their fuel loads seems stupid to me, but that's what is happeneing now. I follow quals on F1.com's live timimg, and after quals 2, I go and have a shower, then come back to watch the last few minutes of quals 3 - the rest of quals 3 is meaningless circulation nonsense.

Racehound
8th June 2007, 00:44
Maybe for the word near. :p :
succinct!!!! :)

Racehound
8th June 2007, 00:48
I really hate to think different, but I would like to see refuelling during quals 3, so that the cars can have several attempts to set a fast time on very low fuel. In this way, a driver may not get a clear run in the final set of runs during quals 3 and still achieve a very fast time.

Having cars circulate during quals 3 just to run down their fuel loads seems stupid to me, but that's what is happeneing now. I follow quals on F1.com's live timimg, and after quals 2, I go and have a shower, then come back to watch the last few minutes of quals 3 - the rest of quals 3 is meaningless circulation nonsense.
true :)

Racehound
8th June 2007, 00:51
Valve,

ClarkFan
true.......

Racehound
8th June 2007, 00:52
but you both said the same thing about runnin on lowest fuel to mset the best times!!!! :)