PDA

View Full Version : Danica vs. Dan: Priceless Publicity

bzcam
4th June 2007, 13:15
So Danica wasn't happy with the clip her car sustained when she tried to pass Wheldon. So what? Did she have the position? Should Dan have backed off and let her go by? Who cares? What's more important to her and to the IRL is that her post race confrontation with Dan was captured by ABC and ESPN and became THE news of the race. I saw the video of her shoving Wheldon on several different channels over the course of Sunday night. Priceless publicity - a fued in the IRL between the hot chick and one of the brash young studs. Who won the race? Who cares - Danica shoved someone afterward. I love it. Maybe next week she'll sucker punch Sara...

Its this kind of thing that makes no one notice that after a 33 car start at Indy the field was back to 17 for the MM.

bz

RGM Fan
4th June 2007, 13:41
Actually I think it says something about the lack of racing at the track when "Highlights" consist of a freak accident and a tiny woman pushing a little Englishman.

ESPN wasn't laughing with you, they were laughing at you.

Alexamateo
4th June 2007, 14:22
FWIW, at the start finish line, replay's showed that Danica was in front of Dan by at least 18" (one wheel's width). She had just passed Dario Franchetti, and also passed Dan on the straight. Dario dive-bombed her on the inside, so I think she took a slightly higher line and probably lifted somewhat. This allowed Dan to pull back in front of her and he did cut across her line.

It's probably just a racing incident, truly, Dan could have conceded the position, because he was a little slow off of 4, but he didn't.

Also it was 18 cars started, although only 17 took time in quals., because of Simmons wreck in practice.

luvracin
4th June 2007, 14:29
Yeah well. I saw it too and agree with Alexmateo's observations..

It's good to see a driver show a bit of emotion and passion for their sport instead of the boring PC stuff....

I won't bag Danica for getting fired up until she makes a complete fool of herself and starts wearing a cape and a hat - Paul Tracey style.

keysersoze
4th June 2007, 18:00
At one point I saw Kanaan and Castroneves go at it side by side for about a lap and a half, Helio on the inside. However, it took him three turns to make it stick because Tony could keep his momentum on the outside line while Helio scrubbed some speed on the tighter, inside line. Kanaan did a marvelous job making Helio EARN earn the spot.

Point is, Dan carried more speed into the turn, saw Danica's front wheels disappear when she backed off the throttle, then took his racing line. If Danica would've kept her car even, I believe Dan would've kept his line. I saw the two go at it hammer-and-tongs from my T3 Indy seats, and he races very hard. But fair. She had him beat on the corner--he puts the squeeze on her to make sure she had the talent to carry the speed through the turn, then conceded the position. He doesn't just give up.

Racing incident--it's a tight 1-mile oval. I say good on both of them--Dan for having the huevos to not concede, Danica to take on two Indy 500 champs into the corner, plus the great save.

Colin
5th June 2007, 01:55
I saw a racing incident, but the camera angle could have been better. Bottom line, it's the responsability of the overtaking driver to execute a clean pass.

I don't like seeing her push anyone in the pits though..... what's a guy to do? Push her back?

mileman
5th June 2007, 03:35
Hey...it was great to see someone push arrogant little Danny Boy around. He has such an endearing personality that I'd love to see him over in NASCAR trying to clip Tony Stewart or Kurt Busch. Ah...to dream...

uncre8tv
5th June 2007, 04:23
overtaking driver did not veer off her line, driver being passed did veer off of his. end of story.

weeflyonthewall
5th June 2007, 06:37
FWIW, at the start finish line, replay's showed that Danica was in front of Dan by at least 18" (one wheel's width). She had just passed Dario Franchetti, and also passed Dan on the straight. Dario dive-bombed her on the inside, so I think she took a slightly higher line and probably lifted somewhat. This allowed Dan to pull back in front of her and he did cut across her line.

Hello? Dario divebombed into a tight left turn, he had the inside line.
How can you accuse Wheldon of cutting across her line? Were you expecting him to drive into the outside wall and not follow the apex of the turn. Trying to run three wide in Milwaukee is a sign of desperation from a driver trying too hard to win a race and prove herself.
She did an excellent job on the recovery!!

Alexamateo
5th June 2007, 12:35
Hello?At the finish line she was ahead of Wheldon by 18" and a car length on Dario. If anyone was driving "desperately" as you say, It was them. That said, they are race drivers and it was a racing incident.

beachbum
5th June 2007, 14:36
Hello? Dario divebombed into a tight left turn, he had the inside line.
How can you accuse Wheldon of cutting across her line? Were you expecting him to drive into the outside wall and not follow the apex of the turn. Trying to run three wide in Milwaukee is a sign of desperation from a driver trying too hard to win a race and prove herself.
She did an excellent job on the recovery!!

Bingo, you get the prize. Great analysis. Some people seem to think that everyone should get out of Danicas! way, which in retrospect might be a good idea. (that could explain some of her passing "success"). "Wow, its Danica!. I better move over"

The argument that the inside line had the turn means Dario shouldn't have backed off. When I saw it unfolding, my first thought was that this isn't going to work. Someone is going to be in the wall. That early in the race, Dario used his head and backed out of it. On the outside Weldon had few options. Try to turn in, or go up in the marbles and likely crash. If he backed off, he would still be beside Dario and Dario would have been the one getting "chopped". Danica also had few options. She had to clear Dario and then try to dive bomb the turn, or turn into Dario, or run into the back of Weldon. Being in the middle, she had to make some quick decisions about both other cars. Nothing good was going to come of it regardless. The fact is, she almost made it. There was a full lane below Dan even if it wasn't a good line, and she almost got there.

She should be glad the damage wasn't greater and she could continue after repairs. Anyway you look at it it was a low percentage move to go three wide that early in the race. A racin' incident. If it was the last lap, I would congratulate DP on the attempt, but it wasn't the last lap.

However, the outburst after the race was just bizarre. I guess Weldon should always recognize Danica! and give way to the superior driver. Based on Danicas! analysis, Weldon should have either just stopped on the straight or evaporated. She certainly didn't care if she put he or Dario in a dangerous situation. At least he gave her some options. There is a reason it is called "racing".

Ah, but the publicity! Priceless!

tstran17_88
5th June 2007, 19:11
Dan's comments after the race were spot on.

I thought it was kind of wreckless on Danica's part to try to go three wide into turn one at the Mile. And being at the race, without replay at that point, I turned to my father when the caution came out and pointed that fact out when he mentioned that she was crying foul over the radio.

Hoss Ghoul
5th June 2007, 22:59
Great interview with Wheldon on PTI on ESPN...just aired. Pretty funny stuff, he called Danica feisty again, a "spoiled brat", and said if a guy had shoved him as she did he wouldn't have stood for it. He also praised her for having talent and bringing a lot of atention to the league. Funny/good interview.

mileman
6th June 2007, 06:41
"...if a guy had shoved him as she did he wouldn't have stood for it."

So...at Texas, if AJ ends up slapping Danny Boy after the race for some reason, he'll slap him back?

I must admit that Patrick has an "attitude," but she was driving a great race up to the point of the incident. Wheldon on the other hand is an established winner, but projects an arrogance that is far from endearing. The events of Sunday actually set up an interesting additional goal for Patrick, and that is to finish in front of Wheldon.

That aside, I'll keep pulling for those gregarious and very likeable Brazilians, Helio and Tony. Can anyone even imagine those two in a shoving match after a race?

Hoss Ghoul
6th June 2007, 06:51
Just to be clear, that was Dan himself that said that he wouldn't have taken it, not me.

Dan's obviously got a bit of a chip on his shoulder as it relates to Danica, good theater if you ask me.

ACTF_ZETT
6th June 2007, 16:24
Give me a break that was not a shove. How much farther can this be blown out of proportion. She held his arm for 3 seconds and pushed it away. I know race fans who would pay big money to have that contact with her lol.

Speaking of AJ, does anyone have the video of AJ slapping Arie after the Texas race a few years ago? Priceless moment, I cant find it on youtube or anywhere.

tstran17_88
6th June 2007, 18:26
That aside, I'll keep pulling for those gregarious and very likeable Brazilians, Helio and Tony. Can anyone even imagine those two in a shoving match after a race?Tony would win by a nose. :D

Easy Drifter
6th June 2007, 18:31
Based on any news is good news it got coverage on our Barrie TV station. They rarely cover any thing on motor racing.
After Indy the Orillia Packet and Times had a sports section picture of Dario captioned 'Italian wins Indy 500". The story did get it right.

LTalbot
7th June 2007, 01:06
If thy ever make another movie revolving around open wheel racing, they will re-write that encounter and Danica will Shove Dan who will briefly block her punches and then the two of them will lock lips in a big long wet one.

ACTF_ZETT
7th June 2007, 15:21
Stated in the paper yesterday that there will be no penalties handed out for this inncident. IRL is viewing it as a conversation on pit road and nothing more. Regardless they need to sit these two down before this weekend and have a talk. Texas is a very dangerous track, we dont need over-aggressive drivers out there which could be hazardous to themselves, or other drivers. I bet you that when they interview Danica and Wheldon starting today in practice that they will say its in the past, but some of the comments that Wheldon has been making will no doubt have Danica upset.

Easy Drifter
7th June 2007, 19:34
It is called mind games and most drivers play them. Phil Hill admits the other F1 drivers used to rattle him way back when.
Hopefully Danica will ignore him and stop acting like a petulant 16 year old.

CCFanatic
7th June 2007, 19:40
From what I got out of this is that it makes Indy Car look childish. True, CC has PT, but at least he doesn't cry aobut it when comfronted.

Alexamateo
7th June 2007, 19:47
Hey! at least Danica's man enough to take off her helmet when she confronts somebody! :p :