PDA

View Full Version : Music download websites.

Valve Bounce
2nd June 2007, 04:15
Can anyone give me the name of the better music download websites please.

Thanks

Schultz
2nd June 2007, 06:32
Well that depends if you want to pay for it or not.

Valve Bounce
2nd June 2007, 10:17
Well that depends if you want to pay for it or not.

Try me!!

Dave B
3rd June 2007, 15:03
Just be aware that some conversations are best conducted by PM ;)

AndySpeed
4th June 2007, 09:28
If you want to purchase music there's no better experience than http://www.beatport.com

I find that without access to torrenting, just typing the name of the song you want followed by "zshare" or something into a search engine can often work well :)

CarlMetro
4th June 2007, 11:18
Probably the best if you don't want to pay is http://limewire.com/

schmenke
4th June 2007, 15:24

Yep, uh... so I've been told... :uhoh:

Valve Bounce
5th June 2007, 01:39
Just be aware that some conversations are best conducted by PM ;)

I've got PM :)

tmx
5th June 2007, 01:54
There are few things one should be aware of before buying music online. The only music I ever am going to buy online are if they are lossless codec, has no DRM, and there are money going to the artist. Tough chance on first two, also beware of russian places, they don't really give money to the bands.

Take Itunes, I am not going to spend the same money the music if the artist get less money (I tend to buy more directly from bands if possible), I get crappy low quality lossy music, and with DRM you are only allow to copy them a certain time to other computer and devices, after that they would not work. Also crappy 200x200 pixel cover.

Dave B
5th June 2007, 10:00
Buying from iTunes could be a good way of making new friends, with their new policy of embedding your email address :s

Schultz
5th June 2007, 13:43
Well its not illegal to use limewire, as long as you are going to use it for legal purposes. There are legal purposes, and i'm sure that's what valve will be using it for ;)

I'm fine downloading music from limewire. But if I really enjoy that music, or am a major fan of that band, I will always buy the CD regardless. The songs I download, I do so because I want to try out these songs. I think in my case, limewire has made record companies more money from me than they would have lost. That's for the pure reason that it allows me to hear music that sometimes I wouldn't normally be able to.

schmenke
5th June 2007, 14:31
Well its not illegal to use limewire, as long as you are going to use it for legal purposes. ...

Legislation has recently been passed in my country that makes file sharing illegal :mark:

schmenke
5th June 2007, 14:31
...The songs I download, I do so because I want to try out these songs. I think in my case, limewire has made record companies more money from me than they would have lost. That's for the pure reason that it allows me to hear music that sometimes I wouldn't normally be able to.

I totally agree. I don't know how many times I've downloaded a tune or two from, uh, Limewire ( :s ) then subsequently purchased the cd :)

AndySpeed
6th June 2007, 00:15
There are few things one should be aware of before buying music online. The only music I ever am going to buy online are if they are lossless codec, has no DRM, and there are money going to the artist. Tough chance on first two, also beware of russian places, they don't really give money to the bands.

One of the reasons I support Beatport so much - a choice of all DRM-free formats, 320kbps for all songs, the option to buy every song as a WAV file and longer previews than other stores. Plus the money finds its way to the artists.

CCFanatic
6th June 2007, 00:23

Yeah, and ask my lawyer about that.

JK. I think it is wrong stealing music. I will either make it myself(I am real bad) or buy an old school CD.