PDA

View Full Version : Will Eldora Lead To a Cup Dirt Race

muggle not
2nd June 2007, 02:04
http://www.scenedaily.com/stories/2007/05/28/scene_daily738.html

DOVER, Del. - Tony Stewart has long said NASCAR needs a dirt-track race in its Nextel Cup schedule.

He's hoping the Nextel Prelude to the Dream special event at Eldora Speedway next Wednesday can open NASCAR's eyes.

"I've been talking about how NASCAR needs to run a dirt race," Stewart said Friday at Dover International Speedway. "It's not the first time we've talked about it. I think Wednesday night will be a good indication that NASCAR should look even harder at it.

"We run road courses with cars that aren't really supposed to be run on road courses, so why not run them on dirt? It makes sense to do that."

The field for Wednesday's race will look like a Nextel Cup event, as 20 current Cup drivers are entered, including Jeff Gordon, Kasey Kahne, Denny Hamlin and Ryan Newman. Stewart, who owns Eldora, is entered, too. The drivers will pilot dirt late model stock cars, running three heat races, a consolation feature and a 30-lap main event.

HBO is showing the race on its pay-per-view channel. Proceeds go to the Victory Junction Gang Camp.

"Who knows how big this is going to get?" Stewart said. "We never dreamed last year that HBO would have came on board and it would be on pay-per-view this year. We had Buddy Rice from the IRL call last week and wanted to try to get a ride at the last minute. It was a little late to try and get him in a car, but Buddy Rice said that there were other IRL drivers that were interested in coming.

"So that's maybe something that next year gets added to it so it tends to have more of an IROC flavor in having different drivers from different disciplines. We've got two drag racers in the field, we're got Red Farmer and we've got Ray Evernham.

"It's not just about having Nextel Cup drivers in the field. It's about having guys that care about Victory Junction and guys that don't get a chance to do this very often coming together and running together."

Sparky1329
2nd June 2007, 02:17
I'd love to see the big boys race on dirt. I won't hold my breath waiting for it though.

muggle not
2nd June 2007, 02:20
HBO is showing the race on its pay-per-view channel. Proceeds go to the Victory Junction Gang Camp.

I gotta check and see what the $$$$ are for watching on HBO. Sounds like fun to me.

muggle not
2nd June 2007, 02:21

I gotta check and see what the $$$$ are for watching on HBO. Sounds like fun to me.

blakebeatty
2nd June 2007, 03:06
dirt is for farming

Jonesi
2nd June 2007, 03:34
It's got a nice entry list:

NEXTEL PRELUDE TO THE DREAM DRIVER ROSTER[/size][/font]

Aric Almirola

Ken Schrader

Bill Elliott

Kenny Wallace

Bobby Labonte

Kevin Harvick

Carl Edwards

Kyle Busch

Clint Bowyer

Kyle Petty

Cruz Pedragon

Mark Martin

Dave Blaney

Matt Kenseth

David Reutimann

Mike Wallace

Denny Hamlin

Ray Evernham

Elliott Sadler

Red Farmer

J.J. Yeley

Ron Capps

Jeff Gordon

Ryan Newman

Juan Pablo Montoya

Tony Stewart

Kasey Kahne

Alexamateo
2nd June 2007, 03:59
If it does lead to a Cup dirt race, I predict dirt-track ringer Frank Kimmel to get his first Nextel Cup Win! :) :D ;)

Sparky1329
2nd June 2007, 04:43
I don't have HBO. :bigcry:

djarumdudley
2nd June 2007, 07:58
that's a great line-up! how far into the race until Montoya gets dumped?

Lee Roy
3rd June 2007, 16:28
There are some NHRA drivers in the line-up. Wonder why none of the "Indy Car" (either flavor of kool-aide) drivers will give it a try?

muggle not
3rd June 2007, 17:41
There are some NHRA drivers in the line-up. Wonder why none of the "Indy Car" (either flavor of kool-aide) drivers will give it a try?
We had Buddy Rice from the IRL call last week and wanted to try to get a ride at the last minute. It was a little late to try and get him in a car, but Buddy Rice said that there were other IRL drivers that were interested in coming.

Mihai
3rd June 2007, 18:39
I read that tobacco company Winston asked NASCAR to dump dirt ovals from its calendar in the early 70s.

Now that Winston is out, NASCAR is returning to dirt ovals? Makes perfect sense! Not... http://forums.seroundtable.com/images/smilies/imported-smilies/nono.gif

They'll stick to paved ovals and road courses.

call_me_andrew
4th June 2007, 20:07

It will cost $24.95 to order the race.

I don't think you need HBO. You just need Pay Per View.

Sparky1329
4th June 2007, 20:09
It will cost $24.95 to order the race.

I don't think you need HBO. You just need Pay Per View.

Yeah and a digital box which I don't have.

Mark in Oshawa
5th June 2007, 16:19
It isn't offered here in Canada but I would get a charge out of watching it....

Lee Roy, maybe the koolaid boys didn't get an invite? Just a thought.....

Alexamateo
5th June 2007, 16:46
It's got a nice entry list:

NEXTEL PRELUDE TO THE DREAM DRIVER ROSTER[/size][/font]

Red Farmer

Isn't Red farmer like 80 yrs old?

Smilieangel489
5th June 2007, 17:36
You guys have to spend $25 on watching it on HBO when I spent that much on my ticket to be there live lol. Sorry I had to brag for just a minute.

tstran17_88
5th June 2007, 18:23
"I've been talking about how NASCAR needs to run a dirt race," Stewart said Friday at Dover International Speedway. "It's not the first time we've talked about it. I think Wednesday night will be a good indication that NASCAR should look even harder at it. I'd like to see a Cup race on dirt too Tony, but unless you can convince Nascar it's a good idea and convince New York City to build it on Staten Island...I don't see it happening.

Sparky1329
5th June 2007, 19:57
You guys have to spend $25 on watching it on HBO when I spent that much on my ticket to be there live lol. Sorry I had to brag for just a minute.

I hope you're taking your camera with you. Have a blast!

Jonesi
5th June 2007, 20:21
Isn't Red farmer like 80 yrs old?

He's not a day over late seventies!

MD24
6th June 2007, 02:13
I don't have HBO. :bigcry:

I'll probably be recording it, I'll send it to you if you want

MD24
6th June 2007, 02:15
It isn't offered here in Canada but I would get a charge out of watching it....

It's offered on expressvu

Sparky1329
6th June 2007, 03:22
I'll probably be recording it, I'll send it to you if you want

Check your inbox. :D

Jonesi
6th June 2007, 04:10
On today's NascarNow they said tomorrow's show would be live from Eldora.

djarumdudley
6th June 2007, 04:46
I'd like to see a Cup race on dirt too Tony, but unless you can convince Nascar it's a good idea and convince New York City to build it on Staten Island...I don't see it happening.

NYC could just churn up the Fresh Kills landfill. surely refuse could produce a fantastic cushion.

Hoss Ghoul
6th June 2007, 06:48
NYC could just churn up the Fresh Kills landfill. surely refuse could produce a fantastic cushion.

Lol, might cause more than a few debris cautions though... ;)

ACTF_ZETT
6th June 2007, 19:11
Ken Schrader is going to walk away with this one. If they added a dirt track to the cup schedule he would actually have a chance of getting his first cup win since 1991, regardless of what car you put him in.

tstran17_88
7th June 2007, 18:37
NYC could just churn up the Fresh Kills landfill. surely refuse could produce a fantastic cushion.I'm for a beach track on Coney Island? Maybe if they level all the rides and the boardwalk? Then they could cross promote it with Nathan's hot dog eating contest! :D

Smilieangel489
9th June 2007, 00:24
It was so much fun! I still have dirt in my hair though lol. Some of those guys definitely know how to drive on dirt.

blakebeatty
9th June 2007, 00:28
Does anyone know who furnished the cars for this event?

MD24
9th June 2007, 02:58
Does anyone know who furnished the cars for this event?

Some had their own cars but most came from the local dirt racers

Just watched it last night, those guys looked like they were having alot of fun

MD24
9th June 2007, 03:08
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/5242548/whistle.gif

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/5242548/picsrv_jeffgordon.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b59/5242548/picsrv_jeffgordon22.jpg

harvick#1
9th June 2007, 03:30
just about all the guys had the same liveries as there nextel cup cars

blakebeatty
9th June 2007, 03:43
Yeah, that was neat, they looked good on the late models. Edwards was way nicer than his cup car paint, but i doubt Tight-A** Roush would spring for the extra decals on the cup car.

djarumdudley
9th June 2007, 06:12
I'm for a beach track on Coney Island? Maybe if they level all the rides and the boardwalk? Then they could cross promote it with Nathan's hot dog eating contest! :D

forget the dirt track use the boardwalk for a board track!!

Haulin'AssAndTurnin Left
12th June 2007, 11:41
I think a dirt track race would be a bad idea. If the drivers want to race on dirt they should organise more of these exibition races. only wish we could have seen it here in the UK.

Mark in Oshawa
12th June 2007, 20:57
Smilie, who won? How did Montoya do? Geeze....Give us some thoughts besides your hair being full of dirt. THAT would go without saying...lol...