PDA

View Full Version : Getting in the experts

Hazell B
1st June 2007, 22:53
With so many people now trained to sell hard, without much working knowledge of what they're selling half the time, where do you draw the line at something you'd buy without an expert word of advice on hand?

Somebody I know recently bought a house without a survey because, and I quote, "the estate agent said it was fine". This from a woman married to a man who goes to a garage to have oil put in his car - I kid you not - because he's worried it will invalidate the warranty if he fills up himself. So much care over a car worth less than twenty thousand, yet foolish over two hundred thousand :mark:

I know zero about cars, so take my partner Mick if I'm looking for one. He knows little of horses, so takes me when he's buying anything for our animals. My knowledge of farm machinery's pants, so I'm spending a day learning on saturday then a day with somebody else buying what I need on wednesday. Why risk making a mistake I can't afford to make?

So, how many here have invested in a car, piece of equipment or something expensive without knowing what they're really doing? And has it worked out well for you or not?

Sleeper
1st June 2007, 23:20
I bought a 6 string bass guitar without really having any knowledge about what makes one bass different from another and what makes one better than the other. It only cost me about £400 for the bass and the kit to go with it (cheap amp, leads), but £400's a lot for a student, I wont be doing that again when I go for a more "upmarket" bass.

slinkster
3rd June 2007, 20:15
Well I really can't afford to buy anything of much value that I'd need expert help for... BUT if I was to buy a car, I'd definitely take a bloke or my dad with me for advice. Similarly I wouldn't buy a house or anything like that without a proper survey and having seen it myself... it's just nuts, unless you're so rich you couldn't care less about getting stung about it afterwards should anything go wrong.

My bf's workmate recently bought a car off ebay which I thought was pretty daft... he hadn't seen it, only read the description and seen a photo. I just wouldn't take the risk... or maybe I'm just not very trusting of people?

GridGirl
3rd June 2007, 21:38
I bought my care based purely on its prettiness, I didnt care about how it worked aslong as it moved forward, backwards and went round corners. I did buy it new though so I always had the warranty to fall back on.

Unless its money spent on clothes, shoes or handbags I'd probably do a little research on a purchase if it was over £150.

LeonBrooke
4th June 2007, 21:39
I'm not impulsive like that any more... nowadays I'd definitely check before I shelled out money for something big, even if it was just a check on the internet. I ask my brother about computer stuff - he works in IT and should know all about that kind of thing, not that I'm completely ignorant myself, of course...

Hazell B
5th June 2007, 21:11
I ask my brother about computer stuff .... not that I'm completely ignorant myself, of course...

Well I am completely ignorant when it comes to computers, so will be asking on here what sort of numbers should be on whatever I buy come the day I get around to looking to update. Be mad not to .... though I'll still be ignorant on the subject :p :

LeonBrooke
5th June 2007, 21:34
Well I am completely ignorant when it comes to computers, so will be asking on here what sort of numbers should be on whatever I buy come the day I get around to looking to update. Be mad not to .... though I'll still be ignorant on the subject :p :

Well, just make sure they're big if they're in units of Hz or GB but small if they're in units of £. Also, Make sure it has a DVD writer.

CarlMetro
5th June 2007, 21:35
Computers are simple, whatever bit of the spec you're comparing/reading, the bigger the number the better it is ;)

Apart from taking the car to a garage to be serviced, I can't remember the last time I got the experts in, probably the surveyor when I brought my current house. Pretty good with most DIY, except for electrics. I tend to buy new cars or get my employer to provide them for me and the only other purchases I've made recently is disco gear and I'm pretty well clued on that too.

Hazell B
12th June 2007, 22:58
...... disco gear .....

Read that and thought you'd bought a Discovery for a moment :mark:

I know you're not that daft :p :