PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Le Mans-Where is Japan?

tannat
1st June 2007, 19:56
While there are entries from Japan, no Japanese manufacturers are represented in this year's race, in stark contrast to 10 years ago when Nissan and Toyota were present, and a bit over 15 years to Mazda's victory.

Would be nice to see them return. I'd wager Toyota would win the 24 hours before they win an F1 race...

Just some thoughts :D

Sleeper
1st June 2007, 23:38
Well, we know Honda's on its way back and Mazda are said to be working on a fuel cell engine to fit into an LMP2 car. God knows about the others though.

V12
10th June 2007, 03:20
While there are no Japanese manufacturers represented - there are only two manufacturers represented in the entire rest of the world (in the top class anyway). Just a sign of the times I'm afraid, manufacturers have generally left Le Mans en masse over the course of the past 20 years thanks to their new obsession with F1. IMHO this has been to the detriment of both disciplines.

call_me_andrew
11th June 2007, 02:43
Aren't the AGR Acuras going to be there?

Doesn't Mazda make a rotary engine for LMP2?

trumperZ06
12th June 2007, 19:58
;) Honda's Acura may be @ LeMans... next year, hopefully joined by Porsche.

I agree... now that the manufacturers are engrossed in Formula 1, Sportscar racing is suffering. Where have all the Ferrari's, Mercedes, and BMW's, gone... and where are the Honda's, Toyota's and Porsche's ???

If GM-Corvette doesn't get competition in the ALMS GT 1 class, rumor has it the team will be moving to GT 2.

grassrootsracer
13th June 2007, 01:46
Andrew, this season Mazda (B-K Motorsports) stopped running the rotary in their LMP2 car (too bad), and switched to a two liter, turbocharged, four cylinder engine based on the Mazda MZR-R built by Advanced Engine Research (AER).

Daniel
18th June 2007, 13:39
While there are no Japanese manufacturers represented - there are only two manufacturers represented in the entire rest of the world (in the top class anyway). Just a sign of the times I'm afraid, manufacturers have generally left Le Mans en masse over the course of the past 20 years thanks to their new obsession with F1. IMHO this has been to the detriment of both disciplines.
I agree. The Japanese are wasting a lot of money in F1 for very little gain. Toyota and Honda should get out and consider WRC/Le Mans campaigns where they can actually have some success and publicity :)

trumperZ06
19th June 2007, 21:41
I agree. The Japanese are wasting a lot of money in F1 for very little gain. Toyota and Honda should get out and consider WRC/Le Mans campaigns where they can actually have some success and publicity :)

;) Both Honda & Toyota have Super sports cars, possibly with V-10's, coming soon. Nissan has the new GTR and Audi has the R8. These could all show up in GT2, along with Porsche & Ferrari. There's a new light weight Lambo out too.

Sleeper
21st June 2007, 02:34
;) Both Honda & Toyota have Super sports cars, possibly with V-10's, coming soon. Nissan has the new GTR and Audi has the R8. These could all show up in GT2, along with Porsche & Ferrari. There's a new light weight Lambo out too.
Traditionally, the Japanese companies have only been interested with the top class so you can forget about GT's. Audi didnt really get behind Lambourghini with Mercielago R-GT, so dont expect them to do the same with either a new Lambo or their own R8 (which would be confusing with the old R8 being a Le Mans winner) Ferrari havnt had a full on factory presence at Le Mans for 30 years and Porsche is run by accountants.