PDA

View Full Version : I just watched my first Indycar race.

mhackl
31st May 2007, 19:25
I watched the Indy 500 and I loved it. I can imagine why NASCAR has a bigger following in this country.

Is there something I'm missing about ether Indy or NASCAR? why is the re such disparity between the two?

Zsolt
31st May 2007, 19:27
nascar is for the lowest common denomonator. they're looking for parity.

DBell
31st May 2007, 19:35
I watched the Indy 500 and I loved it. I can imagine why NASCAR has a bigger following in this country.

Is there something I'm missing about ether Indy or NASCAR? why is the re such disparity between the two?

It wasn't always this way, only for the last 12 years or so. Love it or loathe it, NASCAR has been managed well and American open wheel racing was spliting into a never ending civil war, right into the toilet bowl. Just waiting for the final flush.

keysersoze
31st May 2007, 19:47
I think you meant to write you "CAN'T imagine why NASCAR has a bigger following."

mhackl, the answer to this question could fill volumes. I can generalize.

1. NASCAR has more races, hence more fans. The fans are being fed a constant diet of it on a daily basis, via SpeedTV and FOX.

2. The average Joe doesn't understand what an Indy Car is. A Cup car looks like the car in their driveway.

3. The engine under the hood is what they all identify with: a big V-8 that sounds throaty, not whiny.

4. The cars are bigger, hence more advertising space.

5. The cars are cheaper, hence sponsorship dollars go farther.

6. The drivers have recognizable names that have come down through history (like Junior) or up through the ranks (like Kahne). Fans are very loyal to them, and they don't change teams as often (as Indycar drivers).

7. The rules are heavily regulated to keep racing close (it is very difficult to tell the difference between a Toyota and a Chevy). Fans like tight racing, and open wheel racing isn't as close; from a safety standpoint it almost can't be.

8. Just so they can make a living, America's best, most serious open wheel drivers have often had to resort to NASCAR because of the above factors. Open wheel racing has become dominanted by established powerhouses like AGR, Penske, and Ganassi; left to pick up the crumbs are lesser-funded programs with no chance of winning (D&R, RHL, Panther, Vision) and a "gentleman" driver Marty Roth, who pays for much of his racing from his own wealth.

skibum
1st June 2007, 18:03
Not along the same line but I have wondered, why is Dale called Jr. now that his father is deceased?

keysersoze
1st June 2007, 18:07
Not along the same line but I have wondered, why is Dale called Jr. now that his father is deceased?

I actually debated how to write it. Just writing "Dale" would be, to some, disrespectful, as to them there is only one Dale Earnhardt.

"Junior" is how he is often referred to during telecasts.

Toe_Knee_Jorge
1st June 2007, 21:29
Sr. himself said "I'm Dale he's Jr.". or something like that

uncre8tv
2nd June 2007, 07:49
keyser - a few counterpoints:

1 - the nascar horse led the TV cart, NASCAR buzz started before the big TV contracts.
2 - the logo on the car looks the same, you mean. about the time nascar's current ascent started is when they started moving away from stock appearing bodies (heh - the "taurus" nascar?!?)
3 - eh... kinda. the logo thing again. not too many ignrnt rednecks thinking pushrods are the shiznit anymore. the northstar/aurora programs did A LOT towards removing the stigma from high(er) tech engine design.

The rest of your points are right on. I would add that the France family has done a much better job of managing its PR and drivers than the Hullman/George family has done. This, and the marketing push that started around the time Jeff Gordon came into the sport is what really drove NASCAR to be what it is today. I remember when my friends mom started talking NASCAR in high school, this was before the big TV contracts, just when they started realizing that the drivers are what they needed to push to broaden the fanbase.

I'm not going to argue your "nascar provides closer racing" point. I don't really disagree, but I bet someone on here is offended by it.