PDA

View Full Version : CHILTON under pressure

Ed
31st May 2007, 14:31
I think Chilton is a really good driver but I can't help but feel that he must be under so much pressure to perform esecially in light in Gio's four wins this year, and his two from least year. I still can't believe it been since 2005 that he hasnt' got a win. It seems ages ago now don't it. I hope it turns around for him sum time soon

SEATFreak
31st May 2007, 15:24
I think Chilton is a really good driver but I can't help but feel that he must be under so much pressure to perform esecially in light in Gio's four wins this year, and his two from least year. I still can't believe it been since 2005 that he hasnt' got a win. It seems ages ago now don't it. I hope it turns around for him sum time soon

And the pace I think of Fab over Chilton's speaks volumes. With the exception of one fast lap in Race 1 at Thruxton, every pole and fast lap this season that Vauxhall has achieved has been achieved by Fabrizio. I could be wrong but I don't think TC has led many races either. Chilton has battled well with some decent results but cannot compete on pace with Fabrizio.

CroftPilgrim
1st June 2007, 11:33
And the pace I think of Fab over Chilton's speaks volumes. With the exception of one fast lap in Race 1 at Thruxton, every pole and fast lap this season that Vauxhall has achieved has been achieved by Fabrizio. I could be wrong but I don't think TC has led many races either. Chilton has battled well with some decent results but cannot compete on pace with Fabrizio.

Absolutely. Fab is a Fab driver (groan!). Seriously though, we are seeing his quality this year and I think he would be a difficult team mate for most drivers on the grid to match.

Everyone is saying what a good car the Vauxhall is but I wonder if Fab is doing what Muller did a few seasons ago and wringing something extra out of the car that most drivers just can't. I might be wroing, but it's a thought.

tin-top fan
1st June 2007, 12:00
In every time there seems to be a driver who is currenty under pressure from their better- and quite often more experienced- teamate. For example, at Seat we have Plato doing a better job than Turner. The problem is not that the other driver ( chilton, turner) are bad drivers, but that they have great talents as team mates who would make almost anyone look average. I would expect Chilton to get a win soon though as Gio gets more and more ballast as the season goes on.....

SEATFreak
1st June 2007, 14:28
Everyone is saying what a good car the Vauxhall is but I wonder if Fab is doing what Muller did a few seasons ago and wringing something extra out of the car that most drivers just can't. I might be wroing, but it's a thought.

Apart from Fabrizio and Tom's individual requirements as far as setup is concerned, I don't see the two Vectra's being radically different.

In fact I am wondering if it is down to the difference in setup between Fab's Vectra and Tom's Vectra. Whether Fab's setup is proving better than Tom's.

In every time there seems to be a driver who is currenty under pressure from their better- and quite often more experienced- teamate. For example, at Seat we have Plato doing a better job than Turner. The problem is not that the other driver ( chilton, turner) are bad drivers, but that they have great talents as team mates who would make almost anyone look average. I would expect Chilton to get a win soon though as Gio gets more and more ballast as the season goes on.....

As for why Tom and Darren are under such pressure from their better teammate I guess it is a mix of CroftPilgrim's proposal that it is that something Jase and Fab are able to get out of their cars, and mine that their individual setup's are proving stronger than their teammate's.

As for that first win, sadly for me as a SEAT fan, though Darren's past career is at a higher level than Chilton's, I see Tom more likely to get that win sooner than Darren. Because Tom atleast has won before.

BeansBeansBeans
1st June 2007, 15:38
Giovanardi is one of the world's best Touring Car drivers, and has vast experience of racing and winning across Europe. It's only natural that he's got the measure of his relatively inexperienced young team-mate. Chilton is still a fantastic talent, and he can learn a lot from Fabrizio.

Iain
1st June 2007, 20:35
As for that first win, sadly for me as a SEAT fan, though Darren's past career is at a higher level than Chilton's, I see Tom more likely to get that win sooner than Darren. Because Tom atleast has won before.

I can see it being the other way round. Turner's just looking for a wee bit of luck, he seems to have the car setup very well, which is something he's very good at, hence why he gets called on to race and test many different cars. I still think Chilton's a bit too aggressive on his tyres and he hurts them more than Fabrizio does with his.

lilmelvschilton
5th June 2007, 14:41
i have to agree chilton is a good driver and i deffinatley think he is undre pressure as he is racing alongside a world champion

Ed
6th June 2007, 17:35
not a good weeken again for chitlon, he has def got the pace just needs to show it!

Iain
7th June 2007, 06:49
CHILTON!

Scuderia ferrari
7th June 2007, 08:40
Chilton really needs to start to get on with it. Fabrizio has been vaxhalls race winer this year so far, and i think he could be champion at the end of the year. I really do. I don't really see what the fuss about Chilton is anyway, he's never been that sucsessful in BTCC in my eyes and i can't see him becoming a champion like Plato/Neal or Givonardi

ChocMonster
7th June 2007, 11:09
You can put some of Tom's distraction at Croft down to the fact that he'd just found out he wouldn't be able to race at Le Mans this year, he was very disappointed.

SEATFreak
7th June 2007, 12:16
Tom Chitlon (sorry Ed! :) ) deffinitely did have by far the worst meeting of the season this far. Atleast at Thruxton either side of a 6th and an 8th was a 3rd.

Even I noticed from my perch how much slower he seemed to be compared to Fab.

BDunnell
7th June 2007, 13:10
CHILTON!

Reminds me of the time a newspaper mis-spelt Bill Clinton's name as 'Clitnon', which was something of a Freudian slip.

Anyway, I have always really rated Chilton. He's shown plenty of times that he can race with the best of them, and not necessarily with the best car. However, he has been rather nondescript so far this season. I'm a bit surprised that he's fourth in the points — I would have thought he was lower.

SEATFreak
7th June 2007, 13:26
However, he has been rather nondescript so far this season. I'm a bit surprised that he's fourth in the points — I would have thought he was lower.

Isn't "non-descript" a more excessive level of a more appropriate term?

I wouldn't say "non-descript" because other words that my Thesaurus facility on MS Word has brought up when I typed in "non-descript" incluced words like dull, uninteresting, unexeptional, characterless and unremarkable. That is words I would use for me not Tom Chilton! :laugh:

I don't think his form has been as a result of being unremarkable. Fab has I think proved he can get the most from his setup than Tom can with his. Fab is just the naturally more talented driver.

BDunnell
8th June 2007, 00:18
Isn't "non-descript" a more excessive level of a more appropriate term?

I wouldn't say "non-descript" because other words that my Thesaurus facility on MS Word has brought up when I typed in "non-descript" incluced words like dull, uninteresting, unexeptional, characterless and unremarkable. That is words I would use for me not Tom Chilton! :laugh:

I don't think his form has been as a result of being unremarkable. Fab has I think proved he can get the most from his setup than Tom can with his. Fab is just the naturally more talented driver.

Read what I said again. Where did I suggest that Chilton is an unremarkable driver? I said quite the opposite, in fact. His form this year has been unremarkable, though.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th June 2007, 10:31
He has had more than his fair share of bad luck. Same can be said about Eoin Murray, but we know that they are both very fast drivers.

Maybe Fab is doing better because he has far more experience in Super2000 cars?

SEATFreak
8th June 2007, 11:03
Read what I said again. Where did I suggest that Chilton is an unremarkable driver? I said quite the opposite, in fact. His form this year has been unremarkable, though.

First of all atleast know you know how I felt on the ocassions claimed were made about things I didn't say.

Secondly isn't it a tad hypocritical to say I didn't read what was said (which I did - I understood all to well the fact you rated TC highly) when it wasn't clealrly me who strictly said "uremarkable". I didn't like your use of the word "nondescript" to describe Tom this season. But I am of the view their is no pointin being against the use of a word if you find out later it isn't as bad as first thought. So I found out what nondescript meant beforehand and I clearly did say one of the words the MS Word Thesaurus facility came up with was "unremarkable". It could have been anything but one word associated with nondescript was unremarkable.

Brown, Jon Brow
8th June 2007, 11:10
BDunnel said that Chilton was unremarkable this season so far. Not an unremarkable driver.

SEATFreak
8th June 2007, 13:41
Why are you telling me? I know he did. He even told me himself. I did acknowledge on the second line of the larger piece that I didn't really like the use of the term "nondescript" to decribe Tom "this season" ater all, didn't I?

I didn't like your use of the word "nondescript" to describe Tom this season

See?

May I make a suggestion. Perhaps we could rename this thread "SEATFeak under pressure".

Brown, Jon Brow
8th June 2007, 13:47

:rolleyes:

AlexD
8th June 2007, 13:56
I feel most sorry for Eoin Murray. He always, always has something go wrong or has someone push him off. He's really fast and has a car that can win. He just needs the luck.

I think an Alfa will win this year, it'll be Murray who is driving it i'm sure. Pinkey needs more practice with it, and well...the less said about the other the better.

Chilton hasn't had luck either but he'll get his chance. He could've had it a Rockingham until he got in a fight with John George and lost.

BDunnell
8th June 2007, 22:11
I feel most sorry for Eoin Murray. He always, always has something go wrong or has someone push him off. He's really fast and has a car that can win. He just needs the luck.

What he needs is the reliability, and, in all probability, more money to help the team achieve it. The number of times that car hasn't made it out in all three races tells its own story.

Griffin
10th June 2007, 16:20
Was I the only one to pick up on the very disappointed face that Chilton was expressing whilst sat in his car after retiring from a possible 3rd in race two. I'm sure any driver would be gutted but his body language to me said that maybe in truth, his heart lies outside of the BTCC and that the run of frustrating results are just compounding his desire to race elsewhere?